Red Bull on a Rampage: My Pulsar 220 at 19500 Kms

Thread Starter #1
"The Best Thing Ever Made by God is Two Wheels With an Engine Fitted Between Them.."[glasses]

Following the above mentioned word, though slowly but I have turned to motorcycling. Why motorcycling? C'mon yaar it has no A/C and can make me bite dust, face sun and rain and of course nothing like a metal cocoon to keep me safe from the outside elements. But then why the hell should I keep safe when I can live on the edge? No car is as much agile nor it is by any ways as much involving to drive as the two wheeled thing is. But then, animals move on 4 legs, men on two and I chose to be a man. "I am bored of cars!!"

Black Horse - My older P220 was working fine with around 40k kms on odo one day refused to start. I joined my hands, kissed him and even gave him the 'dhoop batti' treatment but still he was stubborn enough not to start at any cost. Finally I came down, engaged the second gear, caught the handle and started pushing it...ahh..I released the clutch and it started.[angel]
Issue: It has started once, but will I do it daily..what in front of my friends, clients, father and above all..'her':tongue:
So Black Horse was tied in stable awaiting for a day to come when I'll be free and get him a brand new dry battery but that day never came.
Yet an another day at my home: Came my friend and within the talks he said "Yaar I want to buy a big bike, aren't you selling yours"? I refused straight ahead. Then came the night, I was sleeping and thinking "It is 40k kms old, it is older model, it was bought used, it's engine has leakage, both tyres need replacement etc etc". In other words, 'the Black Horse which was looking perfect to me till morning was now looking like it is filled with issues'.

Decision: Black Horse will be sold and even before I could change my decision, I sold it instantly and started the hunt for a replacement.

What motorcycle to go for? My requirements were:
  • Displacement - Because it has no replacement!!
  • Powerful engine.
  • Rev happy engine.
  • Moderate FE.
  • Comfort.
  • Performance.
  • Reliability.
  • Strong headlight for night rides.
  • Good ride quality.
Budget: Hehe...no budget, the bike that scores highest for me will be bought, that's it.

Vehicles Considered:​

Bajaj Avenger: Comfortable cruiser and offers everything I needed but what about the confidence factor? I was never confident in riding it anywhere above 70-80 kph. The front disc loves locking and the switches felt old school Nothing else to complain, still the most comfy bike available under 1 lac.

Hero Karizma ZMR: First of all where has the word 'Honda' gone? Eh, will I buy a motorcycle whose name sounds so much weird? Still TDed it and found that the bike is very comfy and capable too. Confident and is dynamically very good. But what about that as-thin-as-of-cycle rear tyre and only 17 horses!! Naa...not the bike for me.

TVS Apache RTR 180 ABS: Only two things I liked in this motorcycle are confident handling and sharp brakes with an advantage of ABS. Father was shown this motorcycle and he was like "Isn't anything missing"? Out goes the Apache from the list.

Honda CBR 250 ABS: Comfortable, good performer, handling and brakes were just fantastic. Totally impressed and got ready to book one.

KTM Duke 200: I liked it but when showed to father he wasn't even ready to hear a word of favor for this motorcycle..'no means no'. Else it was the bike which impressed me most overall.

Bajaj Pulsar 200 NS: Hmm, it has nearly everything I needed - ride, handling, performance, rev happy with a smashing top end, grip and fantastic brakes. Then why not buy one? Just 4 days back the best friend bought one and already there are 3 in circle. Naa, I wanted something else, also the styling was not exactly as per my taste.

Bajaj Pulsar 220 F: Why the hell should I buy a Pulsar 220 again? Eh, still it ticked most of the boxes. Though CBR was most impressive but then it costs just double of what the P220 costs. It has got a headlight which is straight ahead comparable to cars and after looking at the red colored bike, all my father said was "arey yaar, isse le le...cost bhi theek hai and lag bhi acchi rahi hai(Buddy, buy this one..cost is also okay and looking good too)".

Okay, these lines added much more to 220, 'she' liked CBR but then 'she' is free to go to hell. I'll buy a Pulsar 220, that's it.

Went to dealership and inquired about price and all. Booked one with a promise that I'll take delivery on 16th(Birthday of someone) but then again came in father and said "13th is Akshay Tritiya, why not buy then"?

Finalized: A Red Pulsar 220 will be bought on 13th - Akshay Tritiya.

Let some pics speak now:

The name that is a brand in itself:
11.JPG

13.JPG

9.JPG

Transformer...
7.JPG

4.JPG

137 kms covered on day 1 itself:
1.JPG

One should be slow during run-in period hence no 125+ speeds!!!
Capture.jpg

Last edited:
Re: BLACK HORSE Got Replaced by RED BULL..Again I Bought a Pulsar 220!

Congrats on your new P220. But really, the same bike again? Why didn't your father like the Duke? Any particular reason?
And, the last pic was quite funny. Its like you are gonna kill the bike soon. :tongue:

Nice Bike buddy,

congrats to you[clap]

I like the dual colors on pulsar, it suits to 220 very well[:)]

Congratulations vipul on your new p220[clap].

The new dual color combo looks great on the pulsar and your's is looking a killer combination as well.

Thread Starter #6

Congrats on your new P220. But really, the same bike again? Why didn't your father like the Duke? Any particular reason?
And, the last pic was quite funny. Its like you are gonna kill the bike soon.
Thanks buddy...
Why father disliked KTM is known to him only. I haven't asked.

Nice Bike buddy,

congrats to you
Thanks buddy...

I like the dual colors on pulsar, it suits to 220 very well
[/QUOTE]
Same is my opinion.

Congratulations vipul on your new p220[clap].
Thanks buddy, so when you coming India to ride it with me? You on pillion[;)]

The new dual color combo looks great on the pulsar and your's is looking a killer combination as well.
Eh, thanks. I too felt that this red + black + golden(on engine) makes for a good combo.

You clicked the pic at 121Kmph???
Ride safe bro
Friend did it and we managed to get one after multiple attempts.

@Vipul

Congratulations on your New RED p220 !! pics are awesome and wish you safe miles with it

Drive below 100kmph , hmm I know it sounds bit weird, but I still suggest you drive bit slow man

Once a pulsar always a pulsar vipul, we talked this as well in some of your thread right.
Congratulations on your new ride mate and have a funfilled safe ownership with her, looks good in this dual shade.
Enjoy your ride buddy.

Thread Starter #11
Friends sorry for getting invisible but the semester exams are going on + some work(though not as much as regular).

Some stats:

• Kms covered: 1179 kms
  • First service done on: 500 kms
  • Expenses: INR 500(Engine oil Castrol power 1 - 1200ml, A.S.S. guys refused to put synthetic one[frustration] + Some engine oil additive costing 130)
  • FE being delivered: 36 kpl overall.
  • Top speed attained: 138 kph(just once)
  • Issues till date: Front tyre air valve replaced and vibration in fairing at around 4000 rpm, front left indicator went off - now replaced.
  • How I rate my experience till date: 8/10.

Will be doing the complete review once I am done with my semester exams.[:)]

Thread Starter #15
Initial Ownership Review

Initial Ownership Impressions

Okay guys, so it is a Pulsar 220 and as the name itself suggests, you can expect it to be a wildcat ready to jump anytime. Some of the initial impressions are:
  • First and above all – Headlight is just fantastic especially in the lower beam, the projector works fantastically and so does the high beam ellipsoidal one. Simply comparable to cars.
  • Riding position, though it can be classified into sporty but is still on the comfortable side. Oh c’mon yaar, it is a sports tourer - not a track machine.
  • Torque has always been the highlight of DTS-I engines fitted with exhaust-tec and this one is no different. Straight from 2000 rpm it starts offering enough torque to keep it moving and with the revs the torque also keeps rising.
  • Power delivery isn’t by any ways as smooth as that of..say..a CBR 250, but the way power builds up is impressive. From 6000-9000 rpm lies the sweet spot and the thrust is simply addictive. The bike simply pulls ahead like a raging bull once past 6000 rpm.
  • What can be better than a power + FE combo? Pulsar 220 offers both at the same time, it has enough power to keep going at 100 kph for whole day but still you can expect it to deliver 45 kpl on highways and 35-40 kpl of overall FE.
  • Ride has always been the highlight of P220 and nothing new with mine too.
  • Oil cooled engine is a boon in itself, with air+oil cooling, the engine doesn’t feel stressed(or that loss of performance thing) even after 150-200 kms of continuous riding.
  • Saddle is on the comfortable side, good for long rides too.
  • Indians hear only loud horns and loud roar of engines when it comes to giving the way to a vehicle. P220 has got both, loud horns and even louder roar.
  • Quality still isn’t as good as expected and some parts feel downright cheap.
  • You can’t ride it wearing slippers if the engine is hot, just above the brake lever you can end up getting your foot in contact with that hot golden part of engine.
  • Feet feel a lot of heat from engine, really a lot of it. Bajaj should have thought of this too.
  • A 6th gear was needed in P220 too, c’mon yaar they offer it in 200 NS.
  • Tyres and brakes could have been better, the motorcycle needs a lot more grip than those semi-slicks offer and same is with brakes. P200 NS has got a better set of shoes as well as brakes.
  • Vibration in the fairing, an age old issue with P220. C’mon Bajaj, can’t you rectify such a small issue.
  • Some parts have started rusting, something which annoyed me a lot(pics attached of rusted parts).
  • RVM’s are better less said, they vibrate like hell(they always show me two cars out of one and that also in near useless coverage area)..ehh..in fact what part doesn’t actually vibrate at speed?

Styling:

• It is a Pulsar 220 and it looks dated now, that’s it. The vehicle has got minor makeovers with time like full black treatment, dual tone color scheme and now this golden paint on engine, else it is a Pulsar 220 and is a dated design with that semi fairing which loves vibrating(even speedo also vibrates).
  • Well it still turns ‘some’ heads and the rear tyre is still wider, the headlamp style is still different and attractive to some and the edgy Pulsar styling with that muscular tank still has some appeal but but but..THIS MOTORCYCLE IS DATED NOW!!
  • The pilot lamps looks like the eyes of some cat when illuminated, the backlit switches also have an appeal, the exposed chain set, the dual LED tail lamps all look good to some extent and have some appeal but still THIS MOTORCYCLE IS DATED and that’s the truth..that’s it.
  • Build quality is inconsistent, at some places it feels built to last and at some places it feels like it needs to be taken a lot of care.
  • Do I need to say anything else?

Features:

I guess Bajaj is the Hyundai of 2 wheeler market, why? Well, just like Hyundai, Bajaj also believes in giving a lot of features in their vehicles and build dynamics good enough to just drive the vehicle, not push it to limits!!
Let me start from front and go to back, here is the list of features:
  • DC powered headlamps which offer very consistent light.
  • Illuminated switches.
  • A dated analogue-digital console which carries some more info(more than P150 and P180) like engine temperature gauge and choked air filter warning and a check engine warning(often referred as low engine oil warning) and a battery replacement warning too.
  • An engine kill switch
  • Do split seats, LED tail lamps etc also fell in the category of features?

• Fit and finish is something that needs to be worked on, there are many inconsistent panel gaps and finishing is really poor at places.
  • Ergonomically I rate it good as the bike is quite ergonomically designed and everything is in the comfortable reach of the rider.
  • Electronics working fine till date(1547 kilometers), only one indicator lamp(front left) went kaput once, rest everything is fine.

Engine and performance:

The single cylinder 220cc powerplant is definitely the highlight of this motorcycle without any shad of doubt. Whether it is reliability, performance or FE, this engine has it all packed in it. The rev happy engine has got a wide powerband, in fact anywhere above 3,000 rpm in the powerband you will be seldom found searching for power. Just twist your right arm and it starts moving ahead in a very confident manner and go past 6,000 rpm and the thrust becomes even more violent and remains same till you go up to the redline at 10,000-10,500 rpm, after which the engine starts feeling strained.
The patented exhaust-tec technology of Bajaj helps this engine produce a good amount of torque and that also quite widespread. In fact there is enough torque that the motorcycle can do 40-45 kph on a hilly road in fifth gear itself with a single rider(Rider of my type(only 66 kg), not one with a heavy build). In other words, anywhere above 2,000-2,500 rpm, the engine produce ample torque to keep it moving(even with two people on board on a plain road). In other words responsiveness is the biggest highlight of this engine, anywhere in the powerband you are, all you need to do it twist your right arm and it starts moving ahead and with a rise in revs the response keeps on becoming more and more sweet and as already mentioned, it is above 6k where lies the sweet spot of this engine.
  • Gearbox is crisp and precise with no issues like false neutrals lying in between the gears and the ratios are also very well set for providing a fantastic performance – FE combo. Though the gearbox was fantastically smooth before the first service but after the service it has got slightly tighter, rest no other issues at all. Clutch is fine, neither very light nor very hard..it’s just fine.
  • Coming to fuel efficiency, till date my overall FE has been around 36-37 kpl. And hence you can comfortable expect 34-35 kpl in city and around 40 kpl on highways. Older P220 used to deliver around 43-44 kpl(once I took even 46 kpl) on highways and around 36-37 kpl in city and hence I am expecting this one also to deliver the same after second service or maybe after third.

Ride and Handling:

When it comes to comfort then you can’t expect a cruiser like comfort from this bike but then it is not as much uncomfy as any sports bike. As already mentioned, it is a sports tourer and offers the comfort that lies in the midst of sports and tourer. In other words, the motorcycle offers a decent comfort and it is not a tough task to ride it a day long without feeling like your bones have started deforming. The saddle is also comfortable and offers decent comfort with an upright seating position but still on the comfortable side as the handle isn’t placed as low as any sports bike..say..Yamaha R 15.
NVH is subjective, because some like the exhaust note and some don’t. For me it lies on the sweeter side. While in terms of vibrations, the is needed to be worked on. Especially the fairing part which has enough vibrations to annoy the rider when near 4,000 rpm. Surprisingly the vibration sound disappears once past the said rev range(above 6k rpm to be precise).
Handling is good and it is easy to point the motorcycle in any direction, but definitely it is the dynamics and grip which is the weakest link in whole chain. Neither dynamics nor the grip, none of the two does justice to the bike and the power available on tap and leave a lot to be desired. Neither you can try out very hard acceleration at times as the rear wheel loves loosing grip even if a small pebble enters under it nor at the time of braking the tyres give you as much feedback as you need. The rear wheel locks quite soon and same is with that ‘thin’ rubber up front, oh c’mon Bajaj, you could have provided the rubber from P200 NS at least. The motorcycle very badly needs better and grippier rubber and of course a more confident chassis to complement the power and torque available. Leave for the straight line and you simply can’t push this machine to it’s limits on any curvy road.
In other words, it is dynamics(I guess suspension and chassis), tyres and brakes which are needed to be reworked to make this motorcycle handle like dream. Else this motorcycle has characteristics of a muscle car which has got enough power, torque and performance but not a handling and dynamics good enough to make use of that power anywhere else except drag tracks(Oh yes, I can call it a muscle motorcycle):tongue:.
If you need not to push but ride comfortable and relaxed then whether it is city or it is highway, this motorcycle will never ever disappoint you and will deliver you exactly what you will expect it to deliver.

To be continued..

Top Bottom