• 75 bhp, 197 nm
Buying summary:
  • Final price paid for the car OTR Delhi: Rs. 6,75,000
Deals:
  • Cash discount: Rs. 10,000
  • Corporate discount: Rs. 7,500
  • Exchange bonus for the santro: Rs. 10,000
Freebies:
  • Extended warranty for 26 months (in addition to standard warranty of 24 months)
  • Roadside assistance for 50 months
  • Comprehensive motor insurance with INR 5 lakhs unnamed PA cover
  • Punto Door sills
  • Fiat carpet floor mats (now discarded)
  • Chrome exhaust tip from the punto sport
  • Underbody chassis antirust treatment with 5 years warranty
Modifications done and cost:

Wheels and tyres:
  • 15" Steel rims from the linea, 5 pieces: Rs. 4900
  • Linea active wheel caps: Rs. 1400 (set of 4)
  • Michelin Primacy LC tyres, set of 5: 5600 per tyre
  • Exchange for old JK tyres in 14"=Rs. 2600
  • Net cost for 5 michelin tyres: Rs. 15,000
Interior:
  • Art leather seat covers: Rs. 7500
  • Leather steering wrap and gear knob wrap: Rs. 2100 (special price for me only)-actual cost is Rs. 3000
  • 3D Kagu Mats: Rs. 4,000 (special price for me-actual cost=Rs. 5,000)
  • Punto Sport Pedal set: Rs 2,700
Audio:
  • Pioneer 6590 HU with CD/MP3/USB/Aux-in/BT with Fascia: Rs 8,500
  • Speakers, rockford fosgate prime 2 way front with tweeters: Rs. 5,500
  • Speakers, rockford fosgate prime rear, 3 way rear coaxials: Rs. 3,400
  • Dampmat damping on all 4 doors: Rs. 4,000

N.jpg

Thread Starter #3
Likes and Dislikes​

d.jpg

Ownership period
  • 8 months; 12000 kms.
What I liked:
  • Creation of Giugiaro is visual aura of elegance, stands out and is timeless, especially in exotica red
  • Solid build quality
  • Sound safety engineering
  • Optimum blend of ride and handling balance
  • Optimum blend of city and highway drivability from multijet
  • Comfortable seats all around
  • warranty and maintenance package for peace of mind
  • High GC of 185 mm makes the car easier to live with on North Indian locations
  • Competitively priced service and maintenance parts
  • Powerful AC
  • Reliability factor
  • Nifty little innovations (MID, My car, 3 stage door opening/ closing, double crank prevention, auto lights off etc)
What I disliked:
  • Rear legroom and width in short supply
  • Weird driver ergonomics
  • Baffling absence of Telescopic steering
  • Storage spaces are non existent inside
  • workman like interiors with few brittle plastics, more functional than luxurious
  • Prehistoric factory HU with only CD player
  • lacks outright straightline acceleration due to inconsistent gearbox tuning; engine cries for 6th gear on highway
  • build precision not in the league of some competitors
  • Dicey after sales service and resale value in long term
  • raised stance=some magic lost in dynamics compared to old punto

h.jpg

Nice review and supported by awesome pics mate. Welcome to TAI. Please post more pics of your red beauty. Linea wheel caps looks awesome on Punto.

Really a good body beauty treatment that a Punto deserves & looks good in, actually.
I really loved that quadrangular exhaust shroud. From where did you got it ?

Wishing you a Happy miles ahead.

Welcome to TAI and Punto owner's club [thumbsup]

That's an impressive list of modifications to your beauty. Yes, I do believe that 6th gear in a Punto would be a boon for highway cruising. Wish you many more happy miles with your Italian beauty.

Welcome to TAI. Very good writeup and awesome photo-shoot. Mail them to Fiat India and they will include them in official website. [clap]

Hi esseesse,

Welcome to The Automotive India. Good to see you here. BTW I am really keen to know why you chose that Handle since your original "sid" one is pretty famous and an identity in itself [;)]. Like i already mentioned on FB, your Punto looks superb. Enhance its appeal further by adding some gunmetal/black alloys.

Thread Starter #9
The buying experiance​

img (68).jpg

Dealer: Oberoi Cars, Noida
  • Experiance pre delivery: good
  • post delivery: below average
  • paperwork: poor
My personal car was an erstwhile santro which was becoming 6 years old and 1,35,000 plus kms driven. The car's wear and tear was beginning to show on expenses that are going to be incurred, though the car was bullet proof in reliability. I used to painstakingly take care of her and was sold in close to showroom condition. I scrutinsed the market for about a month and talked to more than a 100 people but all did not seemed to give the rate I was expecting. Somehow I approached Tata Motors assured and after a grilling week of negotiation, they offered me the best price (cannot disclose[evil]) and offered an exchange bonus of 10K for the same.

I did not buy a diesel car for the sake of buying but because my running pattern and usage needed it. Torque plus driveability was primary, with added bonus of fuel efficiency, durability and "so called" better resale after, say 6 or 7 years whatever be in the long term. People run behind after sales service but for me, that was the least concern. I wanted to enjoy the product per se and can live with a good product-average service compared to bad product-good service. In general, almost every brand is of the same standard when it comes to providing quality service and it all depends on how you build a rappo with the ground staff. Its the people that makes the dealership provide quality and not the brand as a whole.

Let me admit, to finalise the punto, it took me almost 7 months and countless test drives, scaring the hell of of many dealers by enquiring them again, and again, and again. I am not into haggling for discounts at the primary stage, but once the product is finalised, then comes the part to start haggling for deals. For me, product rather a deal was paramount.
It had to be:
  • good looking
  • sturdy and safe
  • technically sound
  • comfortable to drive
  • reliable and durable
  • have the right ride and handling balance
  • decently efficient
  • optimal in maintenance
  • decent service backup
Now, what I was looking at the most elusive VFM diesel hatch available on sale in the country. Once I finalised the punto (to be covered i later parts n how did I do the selection), the tough task was to identify a competent dealer. That time fiat was with tata, and based on my internal know how and some decent feedback, chose oberoi.
Called up the team leader Mr. Rehman (now works for VW), told him to get a sample GP for a house TD, no matter how bruised or battered it was and collect the booking amount. He came in the second half, showed the car to my parents and they were impressed by seeing the overall package. Dad recalled owning two fiats earlier (1981-1994 and 1994-2000) and the overall value it offered made us seal the deal. I had an argument-counter argument in my house with him and squeezed out the best deal possible after 3 hours of negotations. Handed over the cheque and told him to place the order for an exotica red Punto in dynamic trim since it offered the best VFM package.
The car is fully loaded barring airbags and a good stereo. Has ABS and rear wiper/ defogger as standard (my prime requirements) plus all convenience features. The order as placed in the beginning of August so that the car can be manufactured (there was not a single exotica red dynamic in the plant) and delivered by september (as per my convenience).

The car arrived in the stockyard on september 4 and I took a full day to do a full PDI inside and out, in order to see that everything is in order. The staff cooperated well and it was done smoothly. We finalized the friday, september 14 as the date of delivery since was to go out for work before that.

The Delivery:

The process was kept simple and minimalistic. I had specifically told the dealer not to decorate the car with those silly flowers or ribbons whatsoever and they kept it as it is, just placed the ribbon. I went in first half to inspect the car whether it was ready or not and it looked ready, they were fitting the mats and sill panels and the exhaust tip. Since the insurance was free, I told Rehman to cut the same online policy and hand it over to me. Went for lunch back home for the last time ever in the korean, purchased a coconut from a nearby shop and went back to the dealership and the car was ready with complete paperwork and delivered in 15 minutes flat. Ferro rocher was complimentery and after that we went immediately for the tire and wheel upgrade since the goat like stance with 14" was looking ghastly.

However, this was just a beginning for a series of nightmares which showed total unprofessionalism of the dealer staff in terms of paperwork WRT insurance and registration.
  • The policy was punched with a clerical mistake and the IMT 28 was not added, nor the unnamed PA cover worth INR 5 Lakhs, part of the scheme. Whoever that female was responsible never came into picture and the local office of FGI was not cooperating at all. It was after 20 days and 30 mails sent to the corporate office the endorsement was passed and I got the endorsement schedule.
  • Since I bought the car from Noida, the vehicle had to be temporary registered (UCF XXXXX) and then after a week the Delhi number was allotted. The dealer did not even bother to update me on the WIP status of the same and it was me who daily had to make phone calls to get the same on time.
  • The receipt for the rosemerta HSRP plates too took its own sweet time to come and after a month, was sent by the dealer and I got the plates fitted on my own. All paperwork was finally in place after 40 days of follow ups and haggling. This is simply unacceptable in the part of the dealer.

267892_548233455210944_1498190075_n.jpg

Await the next part which will cover the evaluation and selection, to be put up in a few days time.

Last edited:
Brilliant draft esseesseesesseee
Punto looks stunning in red there. Beautifully taken pictures with apt background which is what a punto deserves.

I particluarly like your below thoughts.
People run behind after sales service but for me, that was the least concern. I wanted to enjoy the product per se and can live with a good product-average service compared to bad product-good service. In general, almost every brand is of the same standard when it comes to providing quality service and it all depends on how you build a rappo with the ground staff. Its the people that makes the dealership provide quality and not the brand as a whole.
Great thoughts indeed.
Keep the rest of draft coming. I would be hooked to your thread like a leech.

Thread Starter #11
Evaluation and selection-part 1​

David Ogilvy once rightly said,"A consumer isn't a moron, she is your wife."

In fact, I took the words a bit too seriously when I started my research in January 2012, in what car to finalise to replace the santro. Lemme take you all to a brief story to my santro to make things more interesting.

19695_546419665392323_172794558_n.jpg

58447_546419198725703_1775862455_n.jpg

62557_546419262059030_1883074240_n.jpg

65209_546421352058821_492568079_n.jpg

69676_546418938725729_1457762078_n.jpg

154841_546419068725716_659514677_n.jpg

488102_546419745392315_159264715_n.jpg

This was the car which was a replacement of our earlier car-the matiz SP (2000-2006). The matiz was a car in which I learnt to taste luxury. front power windows, power steering, AC, cassette player, rear washer/wiper and defogger, fuel injection, ECM and above all, the timeless aura of elegance, thanks to the masterpiece-again giugiaro creation, meant that I kept staring at it all the time whenever I saw it during my college days. It was fully stock and had its fair share of few nicks and dents, but loved its AC and space on offer, though the performance was nothing to write home about. It covered 1,72,800 kms before it was sold and exchanged with the santro on september 24, 2006.

The santro taught few things-how to take care of you car, ICEing it (changed 3 HUs and 2-3 pairs of speakers before adding a kicker amp and JBL bass tube), I heavily abused it and did whatever I could, spent my PG college days driving it day in and night out, but I stuck to the schedule of routine servicing and spent a fortune in maintaining it, the smallest of wear and tear saw a part replacement, and the manufacturer recommended service schedules were strictly adhered to. Spent two sundays a month in waxing and polishing it, and the result is still by and large visible in the pics shown below.
But, every episode has to end and so, its time was clearly up. Now behind the curtains, I was starting for the perfect replacement, one that wanted to always own and drive, a reflection of my personality.

No matter what the market response was, my duty was not going by what people flock to buy but to test drive each and every single diesel hatchback that was on sale in the country, right from the smallest to the biggest, from the bullock cart to the rocket. And so, the following contenders were shortlisted:
  • Chevrolet Beat 1.0 TCDi
  • Ford Figo 1.4 TDCI
  • Toyota Etioa Liva 1.4 D-4D
  • Maruti Swift 1.3 DDiS
  • Maruti Ritz 1.3 DDiS
  • Tata Indica vista 1.3 Q Jet
  • Hyundai i20 1.4 CRDI
  • Nissan Micra 1.5 DCI/ Renault Pulse 1.5 DCI
  • Volkswagen Polo 1.2 TDI
  • Skoda Fabia 1.2 TDI
  • Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 75/90HP
How did the test drives go? And how did we decide on the finalist?
Find out all about these contenders, to be penned down in the next post.

Last edited:
Hey esseesse. It says you are a rookie but your review and the pictures look very professional. Lovely pictures and lovely right up.

And not to forget, a lovely car. I think the i20, Polo and Punto are the best looking hatchbacks available at the moment with the i20 being all uber-cool with its fluidic lineage, the Punto with the typically sexy Italiano looks and the Polo with the nice masculine butch looks. :)

Awsome write-up. And yet not finished. One of the best ever ownership report I have seen online. COngrats on your Punto. It looks stunning in Red with that chromium grill up front.

Top Bottom