Tata Manza 2012 Quadrajet ABS Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
This is Tata Manza ownership review. Covering buying, ownership and maintenance experiences.

Hello Everyone,

Find the below Complete Ownership Report of my Tata Manza Quadrajet ABS Jet Silver.

My First Car was Ford iKon 1.3 Flair(Petrol) which I bought on 2004.
Ford iKon is my all time favorite and a driver friendly car. Solid built, nice road grip and tired-less long drives.
I sold my iKon on 2011. Since 2004 to 2011 it was well maintained with ZERO ISSUES.
It was a happy trouble-free journey for 7 years with iKon and it does not require an attention except the regular service​
My Current Car: Tata Manza Quadrajet ABS Jet Silver:
I sold my Ford iKon on Mid 2011 and started analyzing the available Sedans early 2011.
My Requirement are:
(1) It should be Solid Built,
(2) Good Interior Space which could accommodate 5 Adults
(3) Big Boot Space
(4) Nice Looking Sedan with Good Fuel Efficiency.
(5) Budget 7.0-8.0 Lakhs
(6) Good Ground Clearance.

My Search List:
(1) Fiat Linea
(2) Ford Fiesta(Old)
(3) Tata Manza
(4) Swift Dzire (old)
(5) Logan.

Fiat Linea was my first Choice as I love its Engine, excellent design and Solid Built.
I was about to book the same, but due to Lack of Ground clearance that was removed from the list.

Ford Fiesta was removed as it will weak your wallet after 3-4 years due to high spares and service.
Also, the rear seat can't accommodate 3 adults comfortably. Hence Removed from List.

Swift Dzire an ugly duckling (hate its design and look) but have good performance and fuel efficiency.
Also, the rear seat can't accommodate 3 adults comfortably. Hence Removed from List.

Logan a Taxi Segment and don't like M&M as it lack owner Pride too, Hence removed from the List.

Finally the left over is Tata Manza:
Even though It doesn't have nice looking Design, Overall am OK with the Look and design.
The best part is it has the same heart(engine) MJD 1.3 like Linea.
I compromised myself with TATA's build quality which I don't like. Also I have no option left during that time.

Vehicle Summary:
I have Completed 30,000 Kms with more than 10-15 highway trips.
Mileage in City with 50% AC 18.5 kmpl.
On Highway I usually got an awesome mileage of 28.5 with 50% AC with my trips started on very early morning before sunrise with 3 persons including me :-)
Average Mileage is always 25+ Kmpl on highways.
I usually maintain a constant RPM on highways and will not cross 80Kmph. Usually maintain 75Kmph(around 1.6 to 1.8 RPM).
All services were made on Time. First one on 5000kms, second one on 10K and Third one 20K and now 30K.

PROs:
(1) Decent Design
(2) Good Heart (Fiat 1.3L MJD Engine + Fiat Gear Box)
(3) Nice Interiors and Good Legroom for ALL.
(4) Great Interior Space which could be matched to 2 Segments above.
(5) Enormous Boot Space
(6) Nice Driver View
(7) Raised Seating gives better visibility of Road as compared to other Sedans which have lower Seating..Almost you can walk into the Car.
(8) And many Small Small Things which I Like.
(9) Good Ground Clearance.
(10) Reasonably Solid Body better than the peers but not like Fiat Linea.
(11) Exceptional Fuel Efficiency with 18.5Kmpl in City and 25+ Kmpl in Highways

CONs:
(1) Poor Build Quality. (But, better than its Siblings Indigo, Indica...)
(2) Lack of Quality Check right from Production
(My Brand new vehicle had few problems like Left pull which I identified and rectified immediately during delivery)
(3) Paint Quality not as good as peers like Fiat, Hyundai and Ford
(4) Always there will be few Niggling Issue in your car which will be in your back of the Mind.

Conclusion:
If you are ready to compromise Build Quality then go for TATA.
As Manza has a good Heart + Gear Box from FIAT, you can go for it.
But, you must do a strong vigilance check before you take a delivery of Manza.
Ensure you do PDI 100% before the actual registration.
Every Manza will have its own set of issues, Few will be in common...

Note: A Good Solid build Quality Ensure, if there is a Issue in a car the same should be there in all the vehicle...
if not, then there is great miss in the Quality-Check right from production...
Issues should be Common across all vehicles..It should not be unique for every vehicle...In this Area TATA is really weak..So beware... [glasses]
If you are amateur to Automobile industry, then don't go for TATA. [thinking]
If you are reasonably good at car and its functions, then you will become expert in few years when you buy TATA vehicle.
Because, you will start learning many things from the issues coming out of TATA vehicle.
Unlike my Ford iKon, in which I dont know how to open the Bonnet till I sale that vehicle in 2011... It never require your attention as it has robust build quality...

In Short: If you are good in Auto Industry and compromise yourself with Build Quality then Buy Tata Manza,
which will give you good mileage, great interiors, enormous interior space and legroom, huge boot space, reasonably good design and look as compared to Dzire and Logan .

Thanks.

Re: My Tata Manza 2012 Quadrajet ABS - Ownership Report

Welcome to Tai, vrsmip!

Please post some pictures of your car and keep this thread updated.[:)]

Congrats vrsmip for your Manza[clap]

Without the pics of manza, this thread is incomplete.

Post the pics soon :)

In Short: If you are good in Auto Industry and compromise yourself with Build Quality then Buy Tata Manza,
which will give you good mileage, great interiors, enormous interior space and legroom, huge boot space, reasonably good design and look as compared to Dzire and Logan .

Thanks.
Are you sure about the Build quality of Manza[confused]

I Own Vista VX, for the past 1 year & I feel my Vista's build quality is good when compare to Dzire. Even we tested by rear ending Dizre with our Vista.

TATA build Quality is always ahead then Maruthi. But, Fiat is top on this[:)]

Thread Starter #4

Congrats vrsmip for your Manza

Without the pics of manza, this thread is incomplete.

Post the pics soon :)

Are you sure about the Build quality of Manza[confused]

I Own Vista VX, for the past 1 year & I feel my Vista's build quality is good when compare to Dzire. Even we tested by rear ending Dizre with our Vista.

TATA build Quality is always ahead then Maruthi. But, Fiat is top on this[:)]
Sure...I will post my Manza Pics early next week.
Actually, Manza's quality is far better than its siblings like Indica and Indigo.
As, I have compared Manza with my earlier vehicle(iKon),
In that aspect, I have seen lot of Issues like Sound when over poth-holes and sounds here and there...may be mild and too small..
But in iKon, ride was pleasure with Zero noise.

I hate the plastic quality used and their fit and finish inside the Cabin.
Eg: A pillar plastic assembly will not last for an year or so...already shaking...even with my handling... [embarass]

TATA is charging as if it were a Premium segment Vehicle, which is not True by its Build quality.
It should be priced low or its quality should be increased.

Sure...I will post my Manza Pics early next week.
Actually, Manza's quality is far better than its siblings like Indica and Indigo.
As, I have compared Manza with my earlier vehicle(iKon),
In that aspect, I have seen lot of Issues like Sound when over poth-holes and sounds here and there...may be mild and too small..
But in iKon, ride was pleasure with Zero noise.

I hate the plastic quality used and their fit and finish inside the Cabin.
Eg: A pillar plastic assembly will not last for an year or so...already shaking...even with my handling... [embarass]

TATA is charging as if it were a Premium segment Vehicle, which is not True by its Build quality.
It should be priced low or its quality should be increased.
Congrats on your Manza.. In the build quality aspect the newer version has improved quite a bit.. Plastics used and fit n finish are quite good.. I recently purchased ex version of club class manza.. overall it's a good package...

Congrats on your ride, will appreciate if you could post some snaps. I am really impressed with the interior space and design of the car from interior point of view

Congrats on your new Manaza buddy, we look forward for pics and updates from you soon[:)]

Find the below Complete Ownership Report of my Tata Manza Quadrajet ABS Jet Silver.
Awesome write up.

Ford iKon is my all time favorite and a driver friendly car.
My Search List:
(1) Fiat Linea
(2) Ford Fiesta(Old)
(3) Tata Manza
(4) Swift Dzire (old)
(5) Logan]
Yes , that was a grey zone time in which not many options were available.Rapid, amaze, sail verito et al got launched latter on.

don't like M&M as it lack owner Pride too,]
I disagree.
I compromised myself with TATA's build quality which I don't like. Also I have no option left during that time.]
:agree:, AFA a former owner of Ford is concerned.
I have Completed 30,000 Kms
Average Mileage is always 25+ Kmpl on highways.
I usually maintain a constant RPM on highways and will not cross 80Kmph. Usually maintain 75Kmph(around 1.6 to 1.8 RPM). ]

That's tremendous FE.
But real fun is @2.2 rpm in 4 th and 5 th gear and rising it to 2.5 rpm while overtaking ,offcourse at the cost of some FE.
Nice Driver View
Yes, except the base of RHS A pillar.

And many Small Small Things which I Like.]
feel free to elaborate.
My Brand new vehicle had few problems like Left pull which I identified and rectified immediately during delivery)
That was nasty , but great on your part. Please elaborate , fellow TAI an Gypsy might get some relief.
If you are amateur to Automobile industry, then don't go for TATA. [thinking]
If you are reasonably good at car and its functions, then you will become expert in few years when you buy TATA vehicle.]
Agreed again, and the main reason is TASS and TASS personnel s , on TAI we indulge in proper discussion before and after visiting TASS so as to ensure safty of the car.

See, if following info provided by fellow TAI n anshuman8 is useful to you.
Also welcome you to group of Manza owners in TAI. You can browse the following links for all Manza discussions.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...nza-club-class-exclusive-launch-coverage.html

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/member-s-lounge/7239-photos-tata-manza-its-owners.html

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ws/470-tata-manza-road-test-drive-review.html

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...0318-tata-manza-known-problems-solutions.html

Some of the other Manza owners in the forum are :
gypsy
Tornado
autosafari
anisghos
Highway Ranger
nozzlering
tosrock
achinjain91
Rudolf_Diesel
manza_class
Sandeepjohn
maranprashanth
speedodude
Virsan
and
anshuman8(myself)

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9

Awesome write up.

Yes , that was a grey zone time in which not many options were available.Rapid, amaze, sail verito et al got launched latter on.

I disagree.

:agree:, AFA a former owner of Ford is concerned.

That's tremendous FE.
But real fun is @2.2 rpm in 4 th and 5 th gear and rising it to 2.5 rpm while overtaking ,offcourse at the cost of some FE.

Yes, except the base of RHS A pillar.

feel free to elaborate.

That was nasty , but great on your part. Please elaborate , fellow TAI an Gypsy might get some relief.

Agreed again, and the main reason is TASS and TASS personnel s , on TAI we indulge in proper discussion before and after visiting TASS so as to ensure safty of the car.

See, if following info provided by fellow TAI n anshuman8 is useful to you.
Thanks Tornado.

Yes, be very careful while taking a new car delivery.
Check List:
(1) Take an exhaustive PDI list and ensure all the checks were done.
(2) Drive your vehicle before you register.
(3) Important Checks like Left Pull, Dash Board Noise(luckily mine doesn't have that) and any leakage of Oils in the engine bay and do a check by lifting the car on the Ramp.
(4) Try to bargain from the dealer, as I got around (insurance 21k + Cash discount 10k + exchange bonus 15k(it doest matter, you can sell off your vehicle at good rate outside too, but you can get this exchange bonus) + Under chase Painting... During 2011 I could get all these with Corporate discount too..But now I dont think you will all, but try to grab as many as you can...
(5) Check with multiple dealers..Even 5K difference matters, but check the dealer's performance too.
(6) STAY AWAY with Tafe Reach Ltd....Hell lot of problems are there...Pls stay away...

I have Manza VX which is one month old. I had many niggling issues all resolved during PDI. Till now, I have not seen any issues. TASS is superb. Also, "Cheap Interior" issue I never felt, maybe due to my 7+ yrs of using Alto.

I am very happy with VFM factor of Manza and feel Manza as a really premium car!

BTW, when I give the ignition on, heater light comes on and goes off within 5 secs. One of my colleagues said that as ridiculous with Tatas since he has no such heater it seems. He uses Hyundai i20 diesel. Is it true or is he missing out something? Mine is also diesel and I thought all diesel cars will have the same heater stuff which may be read as issue by someone.

Also, user manual of Manza says to wait for 30 secs after starting the engine and before putting 1st/reverse gear as the case may be. Also, to wait for 30 secs after stopping your car and putting ignitionoff. This is for long life of the Turbo. Curious to know whether other Manza owners follow this?

BTW, when I give the ignition on, heater light comes on and goes off within 5 secs. One of my colleagues said that as ridiculous with Tatas since he has no such heater it seems. He uses Hyundai i20 diesel. Is it true or is he missing out something? Mine is also diesel and I thought all diesel cars will have the same heater stuff which may be read as issue by someone.
I think you are talking about the glow-plug right? AFAIK all the diesel engines have glow-plug. My ecosport TDCi is also having glow-plug. I have seen in many indica's that the glow plug comes on and after 4 - 5 seconds it goes off. After that the driver starts the car. Also, i am damn sure your friend's I20 is also having glow plug. But the glow plug light does not come on because the glow plugs in ecosport or I20 immediately gets heated up when we turn the key to the ignition position. So no need to wait for 4 - 5 seconds before cranking the engine. May be in case of Manza the glow plug needs some time to heated up.

Also, user manual of Manza says to wait for 30 secs after starting the engine and before putting 1st/reverse gear as the case may be. Also, to wait for 30 secs after stopping your car and putting ignitionoff. This is for long life of the Turbo. Curious to know whether other Manza owners follow this?
For any turbo engine please follow this 30 seconds rule to take care of the turbo.

I have Manza VX which is one month old. I had many niggling issues all resolved during PDI. Till now, I have not seen any issues. TASS is superb. Also, "Cheap Interior" issue I never felt, maybe due to my 7+ yrs of using Alto.

I am very happy with VFM factor of Manza and feel Manza as a really premium car!

@sambit, since I also own and drive same car, here is my take -

Heater/Glowplug is must for diesel engines. But I also read some where Hyundai CRDI does not have glow plugs. Please start the ignition of the car after glow plug light goes off.

Turbo-idling is must for diesel engines. Please idle 1-2 min every morning after cold start and at night before shutting off the engine. This will ensure longevity of your turbo.

More on this -

Glowplug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Top Bottom