Tata Aria Pride 4X4 - The Gentle Giant

Thread Starter #1
I am not sure if this thread will be of much interest or not, since Aria was launched almost 3years back and is known to be a failure. But, 1.5 years back, the day I planned to buy a car, I decided to share the story. Hence the Story ‘My Pride, the Gentle Giant ‘.

After a long wait, in the month of Jan-2012, we have finally decided to go for a new car. I had two hatchbacks. And previously owned and sold off another two.

It took a long, to decide our suitable requirement. I have a family of three, me, wife and son. The primary requirement is for my son and wife’s daily use of 50/60 kms/day for school, tuition, swimming, practice, shopping etc. Occasionally (3/4 times/year), we go for weekend trips. My wife suggested that, it should be a proper 7 seater, so that while going to the trips, we can take two friends and their families with a total of 9/10 people including the kids. My need of daily use in city roads with pot holes and under construction sites, with occasional off-roading makes my requirement to be a Crossover. Also we will keep the car atleast 5years or more.

Now, with a budget of 12/15L, I started looking for the options. I, from my very basic 1st hand experience (driving for last 20yrs and owing 4cars ) prioritized the requirements.

1. Ride Comfort
2. Space. (True 7 seater and fit 3 families, occasionally )
3. Safety.(Our kids will be sitting in the 3rd row while driving at 120/140 in the highways during weekend trips)
4. Features

It took 6 months to study all possible threads of reviews/ownerships and downloading the brochure. Comparing them, the final list is XUV5oo, Xylo, Scorpio, Innova, Fortuner, Aria and Safari.

Like every teenager, I always had a dream of owning a butch SUV. Everytime, a Safari passed by, I assured myself that someday, I will own one.

Now, when the time has come, I realized that two decades has passed in-between and I really do not get that much of thrill, watching a Safari passing by. In short, only ‘beauty’ does not attract anymore, but ‘beauty with brain’ seems more attractive. Sadly, I felt aged.[sad]

I started taking TDs. and this is what I quantified.

--------------------XUV5oo----Xylo--Scorpio----Innova---Foutuner---Safari-------Aria
Ride Comfort------7-----------5----------3----------8-----------7-----------10-----------9
Space----------------8----------10---------7----------9-----------7------------6----------10
Safety----------------9-----------5----------5---------8-----------9------------7-----------10
Features------------10----------5----------6---------8-----------8------------7-----------10
Total :---------------34---------25---------21-------33----------31----------21----------39

This is entirely my personal feeling and scoring (in 10) is as per my choice and priority.

1. Innova: I took a innova from a friend of mine and kept it with me for two days. I used it extensively. Good city drivability. Very sluggish with 7people. Very boring taxi image. Very reliable but only basic features and standard safety.

2. Scorpio: While coming back from Jharkhand to Kolkata, I intentionally hired a Scorpio and travelled 10 hours at a stretch, whole night, sitting in the 2nd row and guess what, I promised myself not to get in a scorpio again. It took two days to get rid of the back pain.

3. Xylo: One hour/ 25 kms drive of dealers vehicle. Not bad and perfect VFM. Most spacious 3rd row. Ride and braking is unsatisfactory. Continuous Seesaw motion. Standard features and basic safety.

4. XUV5oo W6: Half day trip from city to outskirts and back. Great looks, but a bit exaggerated. Limitless features, Great pickup, space is disappointing. The bigger it looks from outside the smaller it is from inside. Ride-comfort is a big disappointment.

5. Fortuner: One hour TD within city with dealer vehicle. If looks can kill, it is fortuner, Massive, aggressive, aesthetic. Built like a tank. Space management is a disappointment. 3rd row is useless. Ride-quality is bad, Innova is much better. If the external design is changed, nobody will put 25L for this vehicle. Innova appeared much more VFM than Fortuner.

6. Safari Ex: One hour drive of dealers vehicle. Looks great, aggressive, massive. Best ride quality. Basic Features, standard safety, No 3rd row, only 5seater.

7. Aria Pride 4x4: Full day from morning to evening in city and just outside the city. Massive, Magistic, proportionate stance. Most spacious. All possible features you can imagine. With ABS, 6Airbags, All disk brakes, ESP, Hydroform BOF Chasis, it is the Best in safety. Great Ride Quality.

End of the day, with my list of priority (1.Ride Comfoty, 2. Safety, 3. Space, 4. Features), I was left with only two options XUV and ARIA.

Again, I TD both the cars extensively and found XUV is no match for ARIA. The interior of ARIA is much ahead of XUV, both qualitywise and aesthetically. The symmetric, square shapes in black and plum with brush metal inserts, Aria looked much better. The Ride comfort in broken/uneven roads, Handling, Road-grip at high speed and confidence in Aria is awesome and comparatively XUV felt like a toy.

Now comes the vital question A.S.S. and resale value. Going through the threads for six months, I am aware of the horror storied of TASS. To choose one from ‘quality’ and ‘reliability’, my choice is always clear, it is ‘quality’. I want to feel the best, when I am inside the car and don’t mind the extra visits to the service station for that. Secondly, I want to keep the car for 5 years and use it personally. So, resale value is not a point for me.

Choice of variant: Practically, I found Pure as the best VFM. But later, when I compared with Pride the features like ABS, Surround Air-Bags, Torque on demand 4X4 drive, ESP, ACC, Cruise Control, Auto Rain sensing Wiper, Auto Darkness sensing light, 17” Alloy wheels with all disk brakes, Pride seems to be the best VFM.

Suddenly, I felt that the Price is not high but actually, on the lower side. It looks high, because it is asked by Tata, who manufactures taxis and nanos. No other car, even in the range of 30L is giving the features like Hydroform BOF Chasis, ABS, Surround Air-Bags, Torque on demand 4X4 drive, rear wheel drive, ESP, ACC, 10 AC vents, Cruise Control, Auto Rain sensing Wiper, Auto Darkness sensing light, 17” Alloy wheels with all disk brakes. Just remove the ‘Tata’ logo from the car, and everybody will find the price very nominal.

And finally I booked Tata Aria Pride 4X4 nightshade black.

Will come up with dealership, delivery and ownership in next stage.

Re: Tata Aria Pride 4X4, the Gentle Giant

Good review friend .

How about posting some pictures ?

Hello sarb19,

Fanstastic comparision of XUV5oo,Xylo,Scorpio,Innova,Foutuner,Safari,Aria.

Even I'm also thinking to get any of this car in future. Hope your comparison will help me at the time of buying.

BTW, Where are the pics of Gentle Giant?

Hi Sarb19,

Congratz for the acquasition of your new Aria.

Please post lots of pic. Whats the OTR you got your for?

Congratulations for your Aria buddy[clap]

Waiting for the pics and ownership report.

Wonderful honest report, enjoyed reading it, make sure in the next part this thread will be bombarded with your beauties pictures

Hi Sarb19,
Congratulations for your Aria. Waiting for the pics.

Hi Sarb19,
Congrats on the buy . Very well written post and looking forward to pictures and delivery,dealership experiences.
what is the OTR price and the discount You got Please let us know the niggles in the car.

Hey,
Its really a amazing write up. What admired me the most is, you have choosen a car of your own choice and liking without considering the negative side of the TATA Batch.
I have seen many reviews that TATA is not match to manufacture a Luxury type SUV. But your write up shows that you have your heart and mind thoughts similar.
Congrats, Enrich your post by adding some images too.

Thread Starter #15
Hi friends ?

Sorry for the long hibernation of nearly 1 year.

The things happened in last 18months, in summary:

• I took the delivery of the TATA ARIA PRIDE, I booked
• I drove 24000km in last 18months
• The frequency of weekend trips increased drastically.
• Not a single issue with the car
• Done 3 free services
• 100% satisfied with TATA ARIA and the infamous TATA ASS

But before I illustrate I will post some pics.

Top Bottom