Yamaha Fazer in Red (Feb 2013) - 1,500 Kms Review

Thread Starter #1
Hi All - After ownership report of my Santro here-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/5288-santro-gl-excellent-car-segment.html
I am back with my initial ownership report of my new Fazer which has completed 1500 KMS today in 2 months.
You can refer details why and how I booked my Fazer here
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...uggestions-new-bike-daily-running-50-kms.html
I got my Fazer on 14th Feb. from Yamaha factory shop Pune. Dealer experience was not too good or too bad either. Since the employees do not work on incentive basis here they seem to be a bit negligent. When I first visited them they did took my contact details but in weeks’ time no one contacted me about bookings. I did have visited other Yamaha dealer who uses to keep me calling every alternate day for booking Fazer. The only reason I went to YFS was I was getting instant delivery and at same price.
I got this bike at 86K on road. No extra freebies or discount was provided on bike. In fact now-days the only discount or freebies you can demand is only on cars.
PDI was done properly for bike except for air pressure in my rear tyre. On the second day of delivery when I checked air pressure in morning on Shell pump I found the rear tyre pressure was 52 psi which has to be 33 psi as per manual.
For approx. first 200 Kms on this bike was a type of nightmare for me. The bike used to refuse to start unless you had choke on and kick / electronic start at least 8-10 times. Once you drive the bike for 2-3 Kms it was at normal but again while leaving from office I had to do similar exercise. I felt very awkward in front of my friends and neighbors having so many kicks in morning for a new bike costing 86 K. But after odd 220 kms this problem got solved on its own. Between this I took to A.S.S. but they said this is fine for new bike and gave me excuses like I have to ensure full choke is ON and other reasons.
Also the ride quality was not too smooth. Had issues on stuff shocks, pick up seems to be too less and was mis-firing at certain intervals.
But surprisingly past 500 Kms the ride on its own started becoming smooth and I had gained confidence about my choice. I knew during running period these things can happen but was not expecting to be so tough
I did my 1st free service at YFS at 900 KMS and costed me around 700 Rs for oil change, oil filter change & chain lubricant + taxes.
The vehicle is now smooth and mainly gets start in morning at first kick without choke ON.
Overall my current review would be as below
+ves
1. Excellent looks
2. Best comfort for even long drives
3. Mileage is good. Currently giving me close to 45 KMS/ LTR
4. Max speed till now I done is 75 KMS and the ride was too smooth. Will try to increase the speed after 2nd service.
5. Fantastic breaking and grip on road.
-ves
1. Only one light glows at a time. The vehicle looks handicapped with only 1 light ON. The A.S.S. told me to change the battery to switch ON both the lights for a cost of 2500 Rs but it’s not a good idea to spend this once you have already purchased bike @ 86K.
2. Initial pick up is good but let’s say you are driving at around 60 KMS/ Hr and you break suddenly and the speed drops to 35 Kms/ Hr then to gain the original pick up you cannot continue on 5th Gear or 4th Gear. You have to downshift it till 2nd or 3rd gear.
3. The mirrors are really of zero or less use. First the visibility at a place they are attached is very less and the main is there are chances of breaking in B2B traffic or during parking at busy places.
4. Fuel indicator seems just to be for fun. It’s never accurate. It starts flickering assuming that the vehicle will come to reserve at any point but I am able to drive 50 + Kms post blink starts. This shows a variation of almost 1 Ltr.
Overall I love my bike and would recommend it to my friends who can digest the above -ves.
The reason for not adding pics are
1. I have not done any modifications. Its the same like any other Red Fazar
2. I am lazy (agreed)

Thread Starter #3
Pics I have not attached because there is no modifications done. But OK I loved the image you have inserted & shall upload few pics by this weekend.

Thread Starter #4
Guys - Just thought of updating my experience after driving my bike yesterday in heavy rainfall and winds. Beleive me but handling on Fazer is really marvellous in slippery roads as well. I was easily able to cruise at 60-70 KMS/Hr in heavy rainss. The road grip was too excellent and i was not afraid to drive this bike. The only mazor drawback is its headlight. Need to improve them for sure. On wet road the head lamp seems to be useless. This scores -ve points for the Fazer. If Yamaha is advertizing this bike as touring bike they have to surely think on its headlamp. But overall I am now respecting my purchase for Fazer

1. Only one light glows at a time. The vehicle looks handicapped with only 1 light ON. The A.S.S. told me to change the battery to switch ON both the lights for a cost of 2500 Rs but it’s not a good idea to spend this once you have already purchased bike @ 86K.
Why didn't you check the lights and all other electricals/switches while taking the delivery? How could battery replacement be an option for this?[confused]

4. Fuel indicator seems just to be for fun. It’s never accurate. It starts flickering assuming that the vehicle will come to reserve at any point but I am able to drive 50 + Kms post blink starts. This shows a variation of almost 1 Ltr.
Fuel indicator starts blinking once you hit the reserve or low fuel in tank

Thread Starter #7
Somehow missed this part when I went for TD to check if both the ligts can be switched ON. The reason for new battery is current battery may not hold the power for switching 2 bulbs simultanously.
Yes the fuel indicator should start blinking once I hot reserve but Yamaha ASS said that the calibration is not adjusted as per fuel cock settings hence there is a variation

Thread Starter #8
Got the bike returned from 4th Free service with 4K on ODO. Due to rains I was not driving my Fazer much but still betwwen last 3 months (3rd service & 4th Service) total Kms done were 900 Only. I requested the service executive not to change the engine oil and filter since the bike has hardly run to that extent. But he said that since your bike is new & in warranty one has to carry the service as per company checklist. Total bill comes to around 1000 Rs with Oil change, oil filter change & chain lubrication. There were no issues reported. Overall I am still satisfied with bike performance. Now since the rains have stopped I might take my bike for a daily ride to office and can mazor real time performance. The bike is out of running period and hence expecting few more from her.
Till now getting a FE of approx 45 which I'm again satisfied. I have yet to go on long runs & planning to take on long drive this diwali vacation. I shall update the thread on the same.

Thread Starter #9
Sorry for not writing much about my Fazer. But yesterday I finally completed the first mark of 10K kms on my Fazer. Took 22 months to do so.
I had inititally thought that I would be using Fazer for my daily commute. But in reality this is not happeneing.
Anyways but I am proud to have Fazer with me. Although I am a sedate driver till date the Max speed I have touched on Fazer is 70 KMS / Hr
The RPM never goes above 4K mark and speed above 55. I am getting a consistent FE of 47 KMS/ LTR.
As of now no modifications are done or planned. I am yet to decide if I have to keep this bike or sell off since I am using it hardly for a 100 KMS a month (max).
In meanhwile few KMS were done by my friend & brother & nowadays I have restarted using it since I hate to see lying idle in parking.

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom