Maruti Suzuki SX4 ZXi (Midnight Black), 5 Days Old

Thread Starter #1
After a long battle for a new/used car that lasted for months, I ended up with a Suzuki SX4 ZXi Midnight Black (Petrol) from Maruti True Value showroom, Bangalore.

So here's the post purchase story. Got my drive delivered 5 days ago. Being a top-end it was loaded with features (include ABS, 16" Alloys, Airbags, Steering mounted controls, electrically controlled mirrors, auto climate controls etc.). The only thing it lacked and I got it fitted from the showroom was a rear parking sensor which is a must for a car like SX4 (the "John Cena attitude" while reversing - "you can't see me").

They refurbish, paint and polish the car completely. I test drove it before refurbishing, and notified them of a few vibration (minor) that I could feel compared to new one. The marketing guy assured me of fixing the same. Post refurbish, it was considerably reduced to almost nil.

The punch of the car is refreshing. Push the gas paddle down on the 1st/2nd shift and you see people left behind. I got a chance to drive Honda City i-vtec during my test drives. City beats it on both pick-up and higher end speeds due to its powerful engine (117bhp) and light weight compared to SX4.

Let me start with some cons now so I end on a good note. :)

Cons:-
1> Peppy engine but not at par with City ivtec, probably Verna fluidic, new Fiesta (as per a few reviews).
2> Not the best car to drive to office during peak hours traffic(in a place like Bangalore, ask me).
3> Air-Conditioner makes a fairly noticeable change in the torque. Especially at lower speeds.
4> Gives up at around 175-180 Kmph. Being a 1.6L VVT engine (104 bhp), can do a little more to compete with Honda City ivtec (which can touch upto 190 Kmph, correct me if I'm wrong with figures). Also, a 12.54 second 0-100kmph could have been slightly better too. Bows down to Vento, Verna Fluidic, Fiesta new which do the same at around 11-12 seconds.

Pros:-
1> Cabin/interior space. Probably one of the best in class.
2> Ride height. You see people around at a lower level. Gives a pride feeling, especially when you overtake them or while standing on signals.
3> Attractive features, lovely dash view, steering controls, seating comfort, user friendly controls.
4> Ride comfort to both driver and passengers specially on long drives. Cabin is well sealed, quite and its beige interiors make you feel you're in a flight. Cruising at a speed of 120-140 Kmph is smooth and a pleasure.
5> Looks muscular from outside, stands out of the crowd. And, black metallic body with beige interiors makes you hungry.
6> Excellent power delivery compared to most other cars around on the streets.

Cons that I faced on buying a true value car-
1> Engine vibration is back to an extent after daily use and one long high-speed drive. Not too bad but I can sense it while trying to figure it out.
2> Engine heat level indicator touches up to 50% (never crosses that though, even after a long drive at up to 160 Kmph) after driving for about 25 minutes with AC. I'm not sure if that's normal or I should get it checked.
3> Dash/Console does not give a fresh appealing new glossy look. Although, its close enough to ensure unaware people do not make out this part. I'm planning a re-polishing of the whole interior.

More would come along as I figure out/recollect. Meanwhile I would like you to share your thoughts on my purchase and advise me some upgrades/corrections that I can go with next. Few things I have in mind are follows. Please share your thoughts-

1> Interior polish/coating
2> Rear spoiler
3> Corner bids/belts (to protect from scratch during cornering and also to enhance looks)
4> chrome/steel finish front grills and door knobs (if possible). Looks elegant on black.
5> Seat cover (Non-pure leather, due to my budget).
6> Rain guard (window top)
7> Halogen bulb for front fogs.

Awaiting suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Enjoy~!

Congratulations speedguy on your SX4 and welcome to TAI. Do post some pictures of the SX4 (exteriors as well as interiors). What was the odo reading on the car? I presume you have got it from the 1st owner. Drive safely, do not touch high speeds in the initial days as you may not know what surprises are in store. Drive at reasonable speeds to guage the car performance. The 50% engine heat mark is OK, do not worry, however, keep an eye if it exceeds on continuous use of AC.

Thread Starter #4
Thanks srid68. Odo reads about 26.7K (about 2 years old). I shall keep a track of the engine heat and maintain the speed. Could you elaborate more on what things I should keep a track of and be on alert.

Uploading some pics of the car. :)

Enjoy~!

Attachments

Congrats for your beast! I like the sheer road presence of SX4. One of better cars from Maruti stable. Happy revving the beast [drive]

I agree that driving a big car in Banglore peak hour traffic is stressful...

Welcome to TAI and welcome to the black family of cars, speedyguy how much did the TrueValue quote and did you enquired about the first owner details and how about the service periods intervals.

Congrats, How much did you pay for this car ? did the True Value guys give the service history of this car ? and what all parts are included in the Warranty ?

Thread Starter #8
visran/manjoo: they quoted 5.3 Lakhs and finalized for 4.9 (including fresh insurance, RTO transfer and a parking sensor). They provide 1 year warranty and 3 free services. They did show me the service history of the car. The odometer reading is justified based on that. Previously it was on lease to an IT company and then given to me. They would share all the details with you. Even the RTO accidental record if you demand one.

Warranty includes engine parts like suspension, gearbox etc. Does not inlcude tyres, body, other accesories etc. I believe A/C is also not included. I forgot about this though.

Congratulations speedguy for your SX4, i have been driving the same vehicle in white color since 2009 (mine is not VTVT) and am quite happy with my ride. The issues with SX4 (old) that i faced are:

1. No USB port to play music.
2. Front piller some times acts as an obstructions in visibility while turing right or left.

Thread Starter #10
Thanks mukesh, that is absolutely correct about the pillar. I already faced it a couple of times. The VVT variant was started by end of October 2009. The changes in non-VVT to VVT were-

-a few exterior cosmetics
-different alloys
-beige dash interiors
-usb port in music player
-vvt engine

Can you tell me about the performance and efficiency of your car? Like initial torque, max speed you could manage and milleage.

I'm quite convinced with the car with my current 7 days experience, apart from the fact which keeps reminding me that it is out performed by Vento, City, Verna Fluidic, New Fiesta by a small margin.

I got a call from Maruti and they want me to have the car reinspected there tomorrow for any possible issues after I drove for a week. Can anyone please suggest what all areas should I look into to notify them. A few I can suggest myself is-

-Engine vibration has gone up by a bit (not too much to bother though)
-A/C creates a fair enough lag on the initial pull. I expect more from 1.6L VVT engine. In fact, while taking off from standing in signals there will be a 1 second sudden lag and then it would continue normally. Overall response also gets affected by a more huge margin than I expected.
-Some polish/paint finish is fading out (again, not much noticeable)

Fuel consumption is around 10 kmpl (Drove 195km in 20 ltrs) including a once rough long drive to test high speed stability.

Thanks,

Enjoy~!

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11
Car re-inspection done. Got a few corrections done. Cleaned spark plugs, carborator component and now its ultra smooth and punches in a lot of torque, even with A/C on.

Also, got an anti-glare coating and side chrome bids so enhances the overall exterior looks and also protects bumpers from cornering scratches (already innaugerated) :)

Next plan is for rear spoiler and side view mirror LED.

Enjoy~!

Nice price you have got here.Maruti True Value at Hyderabad quoted 4.75L for 2009 SX4 ZXI VVT.This example had done 42K Km.Color is Gold.Is 4.75L a good price?And,I felt that true value fellows are quoting less for a 2009 SX4 VVT.

Thread Starter #13
Price should be negotiated to less than 4.5L as Bangalore RTO prices are higher. Moreover it's a 4 year old 42k kms done.

Also, check the car exterior for paint errors/scratches. They quote higher prices saying that they will repaint a panel. Infact, you should get lesser price tag if car is repainted. Also, check for service history. They will have it from their Maruti server. Looks for high cost repair/body repairs and servicing dates. Let me know for more on these.

Enjoy~!

Top Bottom