My New Toyota Etios Liva GD SP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Dear Friends, after a long wait, I have finally bought new Liva diesel GD SP version.

My choice was between,
Punto 90 HP -- Excellent car. During test drive I had tested it's capability thoroughly and at 100 kmph on a gravel filled road had applied brakes and the response of ABS was awesome. The car stopped in straight line and in very short distance. Somehow didn't had the confidence with dealer for aftersales. Had to let go.

Swift Zdi -- Fun to drive, turbo lag was quite evident and had to do lot of gear changes in city traffic. Carried out same brake test on same road patch. Well the brakes were not at par. Also the less space at back went against it.

Swift Dzire zdi -- No test drive car available. Ruled it out. The sales person used to come and meet me every alternate day and was pushing me to book it. Then I gave him "gyan", I told him to talk to one girl and marry another with identical characteristics, behaviour, etc., however he will never get to see that girl before marriage. Then he never turned up. Why the hell these guys don't have a TD car?

Honda City Corporate Edition -- The car was good and easy to drive. The dealer was offering me good discounts. However while taking the same brake test the car never stopped in straight line, it was unstable and shifted almost by 30 degrees. Rejected outright. Also the GC went against.

Indica Vista 90 HP -- Didn't like it outright, though it has come a long way and much better than previous. The NVH was quite good though.

Toyota Liva diesel -- Didnt like the car at first sight. However when I took a long test drive I started liking the car. Then took my brake test on the same road patch. I was totally surprised to see the braking capability, it was very very near to Punto. Did the same test couple of times and I was awe struck. The taxi image car had started growing on me. So waited from December to March for the facelifted car.

Positives --
1. Good pickup
2. Good visibility
3. Good rear legroom and ok bootspace
4. Better NVH than outgoing model due to hydraulic mountings
5. Better seats
6. Height adjustable driver seat

Negatives --
1. Gearshift is little hard
2. NVH should have been better than it is today
3. No alloys and wider tires
4. No Fog lamps
5. No speakers at rear

Booking/Delivery (Twist in tale) -- First had booked the car with dealer with their east branch. I was assured the car within 5 working days after launch. I had also told the Sales guy that I would like to create a unique report from unloading the car from container till the delivery part. My friend was also keen to do a good video script, with this film, photography background that I wanted to do for TAI'ans. By this I would have had achieved two things, one a unique buying experience for prospects and second, it would have added to positive image of the dealer. However I got a message that we don't have a car. I called up the CEO and he too was speaking on bit negative side. After asking him couple of questions he opened up and said that he thought that I am from some xxx car forum where people come with a 200 points list and more specifically do Toyota bashing. He thought that I am also from same team/forum. I slammed him by saying that how can one generalize things and he could have had cross checked. Although I was polite till the end even after this incident.
I dropped the booking and went to west side of Pune same dealer different branch and did the booking after seeing and verifying the vehicle. Same dealer different branch. Paid the DD in full and got the car on 3rd working day. They had the vehicle of my color choice, however even the CEO was not aware??? of this. Surprising!
On the second day the CEO calls up and apologises for the misunderstanding and assures me good support. They realised their mistake, but I had lost the interest of creating a unique buying experience that would have got them many happy customers. Also a loss to poor sales guy who was following up for almost 3 months.

So the end result is I have a Liva diesel with ABS, EBD and Airbags. This version comes with inbuilt CD player with USB.

Will post the pictures soon.

Re: My new Liva GD SP

I appreciate your idea of video script and photography background.Its very innovative. [thumbsup]
Can you please mention the OTR price?

Last edited:
Congrats alot amiti for the new updated Liva.

I've always liked this car, since beginning due to its pros but couldn't have manage to buy it yet, sans it negatives, but i liked it more, considering the way it's upgraded by Toyota India.

So, do share some more of your ownership experience & lots of its pics, for which i can't wait more now.

Add some snaps to enrich your post.
I am very sad to hear that Punto lost a customer due to dealers Issue.

Same happened to many car buyers, Even though they like the car, the decision related to the dealers / service / spares let them down.

Come On FIAT, Get some good dealers (Only Fiat).

Congrat's on your new Liva, what was the on-road cost ? did you get any discounts on this model ? What color did you purchase?

Congratulation for the new ride. By any chance did you manage to do video scripting the whole episode or you dropped the plan.

Thread Starter #8
Hi, I dropped the idea of video script after such experience with the dealer. The OTR price was 7.45 lacs. However I transferred 35% NCB and saved 10000/- so the final OTR price came to 7.35 lacs. No discounts on new model. I chose white color.

On very next day changed the tires from Goodyear duraplus 175/65 R14 to Bridgestone B250 185/65 R14. Exchange price 2500/- for all 5 tires.

Next things in line are,
1. Fog lamps -- Toyota quoted 4300/-. Fog lamp wattage is mere 35w. Should I go for these or aftermarket? Toyota seemed little less on visibility.
2. Planning for 3M CR 70 sunfilm on sides and back. VLT is 70%.
3. Planning for 3M underbody thick coat. Do not know whether it is useful or not.
4. Regarding seat covers, autoform has it for 6500/-. Same fake leather seat covers are available for 8000/- at Toyota showroom. Not worth. Not yet decided.

Pictures coming soon.

Last edited:
@amiti: Congrats on your Liva. Its refreshing to see an ownership thread where cars were rejected/selected on the basis of their braking performance!

If I were to give a title to this thread, it'd be this:

My New Toyota Liva GD SP: Screeeeeech!!

Wishing you many many miles (its a Toyota after all) of happy and fuss free motoring.

amit, congratulations on your new T buddy,
wish you many happy miles with your ride.
Awaiting for the set of pictures buddy.

Thread Starter #14
Thanks all. Sam you can change that title buddy. Will update the photos by max this week end. Also the mileage seems to be good. I filled the tank to max and now its 250kms and only one bar out. There are total 8 bars on fuel guage. Let's see how much it goes.

Also on the accessories front, still awaiting inputs as mentioned in my earlier post.

Most important are,
1. Sunfilms -- 70% visibility
2. Fog lamps -- Toyota geniune 35w bulbs costs 4.5 k. Non toyota costs 3k with 55/60 bulbs.
3. seat covers -- need help. max budget for seat covers 7k.

Thanks all. Sam you can change that title buddy. Will update the photos by max this week end. Also the mileage seems to be good. I filled the tank to max and now its 250kms and only one bar out. There are total 8 bars on fuel guage. Let's see how much it goes.

Also on the accessories front, still awaiting inputs as mentioned in my earlier post.

Most important are,
1. Sunfilms -- 70% visibility

Please check about sunfilms. As per SC all films are banned. In Mumbai the cops are waiting at every corner to catch the the motorists with film. I woul;d recommend you check this out.

2. Fog lamps -- Toyota geniune 35w bulbs costs 4.5 k. Non toyota costs 3k with 55/60 bulbs.

35W seems low. If after market fittings will not pose warranty issues you should get it done outside.

3. seat covers -- need help. max budget for seat covers 7k.
Autoform seat covers are good value for money. These are srt leather seats, which I have been using on my Polo. It fits well and seems like a standard factory seat rather than an aftermarket fitting. These come in the range of 5 - 8K. Check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom