My New Red Stallion: BMW 328i

Thread Starter #1
Hi friends

My new red stallion has arrived. It has been an awesome experience till now with BMWs and I hope it continues.

Selection Process
Though the X1 had been a very good vehicle, I was not completely satisfied due two reasons
1. My mother found it extremely difficult to get into the rear seat.
2. The pickup was not as exciting as the 320d (due to X1 being heavier than 320 by about 400 kg)

I found some advertisements offering good prices for 520d, so decided to explore the same. The dealers were offering good discounts and I got into the discussion with Infinity for the 520d. While surfing through the BMW website, wife and me came accross the 328i and the features offered were amazing. On further discussions with Infinity I found that there are no big discounts especially on the 328i as it was a petrol high performance vehicle and are produced in limited numbers. Nevertheless Infinity was ready to give some discount for a loyal customer. Nevertheless the overall cost was higher than the discounted 520d. Wife and me once again discussed and decided tha it is better to go for a top end 3 than an entry level 5. On the flip side the running cost for petrol is higher which after some calculations I found that I could manage the same.

Buying Process
Infinity provided me a test drive on the 328i and I was simply blown away. The acceleration was fantastic and the handling was great. The steering effort is noticably much lesser than on the X1 due to the new Power steering system being offered on the BMWs. Some enthusiasts may not like this as the feedback is lesser than on the older units. That apart, everything else was great. I also drove the 520d and I have listed below the differences

520d v/s 328i
+ves for 5
1. Larger in size
2. Electronic Handbrake
3. Auto Hold function
4. Electric steering adjustments (Reach & Rake)
5. Cruise control
-ves for 5
1. Smaller screen size
2. No navigation system (not even as an option)
3. No HUD / BMW Apps
4. Lower powered (185 bhp)
5. Diesel engine more noisier.

The above are exclusively my feedback. Both cars have excellent build quality, however, the 520d is a more commonly found car on the road as compared to the 328i.

I then started a long process of negotions with Infinity regarding buy-back price of my X1, the final price of the 328i, the finance etc. It was a 2 hour long process, but in the end the deal was done.

Colour Selection
As mentioned earlier the 328i is produced in lesser numbers hence color availablity for quick delivery was limited. I was offered
1. Melbourne Red with Black Interiors
2. White with Coral Red Interiors
3. White with Black Interiors

The choice was obvious. A sportsline model has to be red. Once confirmed this was ordered by Infinity and the car left Chennai a day later. I also wanted a specific reg no hence had to wait for about 3 days to get the same. The process started on 14th March and on 23rd March got the delivery. (agonisingly long 9 day wait!)

Interim Time
Once the buy-back was finalised, Infinity needed my X1 for foreclosing the earlier loan and other processes. They gave me a loaner car (another X1) which in my opinion was a very good gesture and customer satisfaction point. They got the loaner car and took my X1 with the understanding that when I take delivery of the 328i I will return the same. 100 marks to Infinity for managing this.

Delivery Process
A promised by Infinity, the car was ready for delivery on 23rd March evening. Wife and me reached the showroom by 4pm and took the car out by 5pm. The whole process was extremely smooth. All the papers needing my signature were kept ready. I also met one of the Directors of Infinity and she came out to personally congratulate me and extend her thanks in returning to Infinity once again.
The traditional pooja items were kept ready and the SE explained to me all the additional features of the car. Since I am not new to BMW we quickly went only through the new features and we were eager to move.

The day after
My Sunday morning was spent in taking photographs, learning more about the HUD, BMW apps etc and configuring my Lumia and Iphone with the car. BTW I am not sure that many persons are aware that on the BMW two phones can be used simultaneously. Most systems offer configuring multiple phones but at any time only one can be connected. In the BMW multiple phones can be configured, but at a time two phones can be connected, one primary and the other secondary. The use of secondary phone is limited to receiving calls only. This is important as in a normal scenario if the other phone (not connected) rings, we have to miss the call or park and then take the call on the handset. Full marks to BMW for providing this option.

In the evening we took a short drive of about 40km. I tried the Eco mode as well as the comfort mode and the difference was noticable. In the Eco mode the a/c compressor shuts more often (to save fuel) thus making the car a bit warmer. The comfort mode was good and I am yet to try the Sport & Sport+ modes. These are reserved while I drive on the Mumbai-Pune expressway.

Footnote - Some of the children in my building mistook this for a Ferrari (due to the color).

Enough of words, now some pictures.

Attachments

Re: My new red stallion

Wow stunning car and stunning pics.

What was the OTR and the mandatory question "Kitna deti hai?"

Happy and safe driving.

A big and hearty congratulations on your new car, it's always wonderful to drive a turbo petrol motor, how does the motor behave ? are those run flat tire's and does it comes with a spare wheel ?

Thread Starter #4

Wow stunning car and stunning pics.

What was the OTR and the mandatory question "Kitna deti hai?"

Std OTR is 48.5L I cannot provide discount figures here as it is confidential. As of now the on-Board Computer shows 8.3 kmpl

Happy and safe driving.
A big and hearty congratulations on your new car, it's always wonderful to drive a turbo petrol motor, how does the motor behave ? are those run flat tire's and does it comes with a spare wheel ?
The power delivery is extremely smooth and the power & torque can been seen on the display (picture shows it). It is very silent and becomes a beast when revved up. These are 18" RFTs with no spare. For the last two years I am on RFTs with no issues.

Congratulations. The 328i is one of my favorite car among BMW especially due to the sheer power! [:)]
The Melbourne Red with Black Interiors is looking very good and a bit more unique from the regular 3-series.[cheers] The on-windshield display is simply brilliant!
Once again congrats for the vehicle. Would love to see more & more updates regarding the beast! [evil]

Thread Starter #6

Congratulations. The 328i is one of my favorite car among BMW especially due to the sheer power! [:)]
The Melbourne Red with Black Interiors is looking very good and a bit more unique from the regular 3-series.[cheers] The on-windshield display is simply brilliant!
Once again congrats for the vehicle. Would love to see more & more updates regarding the beast! [evil]
Many Thanks Jihu. Will keep updating this post. The HUD is indeed great and it is totally non-intrusive.

Congratz Sri for your new Beamer. Those interiors are making me drool. I need to sit in your new 328i now. Will see when I can meet you at Hiranandani Powai. [clap]..

Red color is looking absolutely great. [;)]

Awesome choice of color Mr.Sridhar[clap], the eyes drool over the red and you would always be happy over the choice every time it comes out from a wash

Had driven a 328i in Malaysia it was my brother's friend who offered me this for a 2 day stay in malay.. lucky me [lol], it was a electric blue and boy the turbo made me fall in love with the petrol, though me being a diesel fan

Wishing you a happy ownership experience

Attachments

Congratulations .

Your red Beemer looks hot . Enjoy happy miles with it .

Thread Starter #10

Congratz Sri for your new Beamer. Those interiors are making me drool. I need to sit in your new 328i now. Will see when I can meet you at Hiranandani Powai. [clap]..

Red color is looking absolutely great. [;)]
I am at Powai between 9-4 everyday (Mon to Fri). We can take a spin

Re: My new red stallion : BMW 328i

So finally your amazing drive has arrived i can say your wife has made the best choice in choosing the color it looks hot in that color [;)]. The sports/luxury appears to be more appealing.

328i is produced in lesser margin what could be the numbers in 2013.

Thread Starter #13

So finally your amazing drive has arrived i can say your wife has made the best choice in choosing the color it looks hot in that color [;)]. The sports/luxury appears to be more appealing.

328i is produced in lesser margin what could be the numbers in 2013.
Thanks manjoo. In 2012 only 50 cars were produced in the 328i avataar. It may be more or less same in 2013 depending on the demand. Posting some more pictures (Seat with memory, integrated turn indicators, scruff plate, speedo & paddle shift, puddle lights

Attachments

Congrat Srid the Beemer looks amazing in red love the 6th and the 7th picture showing the HUD and the power gauges how cool is that!!.
I love how the new 3 series looks in comparison to the previous generation. Either way happy motoring [:)]

Many congratulations srid68 for your new BMW, Red color looks really good.

Top Bottom