Optimus: Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD. Long Term Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

First of all I would like to thank all of you for helping me make the decision to choose between Safari, Scorpio and XUV.

After a lot of research, test drives, contemplation, financial plannings and persuading the better half I booked a Tuscan Red XUV5OO W8 on 22nd December (would be wifey's birthday), but was not able to take the delivery sooner because of financial constraints. Now after the finances were in place took the delivery on Saturday (9th Feb, 2013).

Background

I have been always a fan of automobiles be it cars or bikes, but cars always took the soft spot in my heart because of the stability and safety they provide. This was how I used to think before I got the Yamaha FZ-16 (3 years back) and, man oh man, the soft spots changed places drastically. I am now an avid fan of bikes, Yamaha in particular and have been dreaming of a liter class from a long time now. But last year a friend of mine passed away on a motorcycle, this brought me back to think that no matter how carefully we ride or how much gears we are wearing (and I particularly wear my LS2 Helmet, Safety Shoes, Armored Riding Jacket and Full Gauntlet Kevlar plated Gloves even while going to drop my fiancée off to the bus stand which is like less than a km from home), India and Indian traffic is no place for a biker, there are always people driving haphazardly, bus drivers trying to mow down everyone in their path. The last nail in the coffin was my parents’ decision when I asked them if I could buy a big bike (with my own hard earned and hard saved money) and the answer was a BIG NO from my dad. He said the same things which I was worried about. Funny thing is it is easier to convince your parents if money is the problem but you can’t advocate a big motorcycle when the counter argument is Safety and I for one can’t keep them and my to be better half always worried and tensed whenever I go out for a ride.

Present Situation

Coming back to present, from the past one year I was looking out for a car which we will be fun to drive and have at least the basic safety features (ABS and Air bags along with side beams and crumple zones). Budget was around 12 lakhs but I was also looking for some value for money. Test drove many cars sedans, hatchbacks, SUVs; majority of them were not that fun to drive and/or lacked the features. I never took notice of the interior build quality as I am upgrading from my parents’ Alto. After a lot of thought and financial planning finally decided to either go for a sedan or an SUV majorly because the good hatchbacks either didn’t have the safety features or they were charging exorbitantly high for even the basic Air Bags and ABS. Test drove the all favorite Honda City, Nissan Sunny but after just two test drives decided that I need an SUV.

Reasons for an SUV

The reasons to select an SUV over a sedan were:

1. If I am spending 10-12 lakhs on a sedan then why not go for an SUV which can seat 7 people. I wanted a 7 people seating because no matter how and where we went we always ended up with more than 5-6 people in a car be it with friends or family. So the duster was out of the picture there and then itself.

2. Secondly, if we look at Indian mentality the bigger the vehicle more the space is given to it by other road users. This one time when I was test driving the XUV a Beat owner actually gave way without even me honking and people were waiting at the intersection for me to pass.

3. Thirdly, Indian roads the better ground clearance helps a lot.

4. Fourthly, the looks. SUVs in general look much more intimidating then a sedan (not talking about the Accord or Cruze here they are a league of their own in looks department)

SUV Comparos

After I was decided on buying an SUV the hunt began for the most value for money SUV as buying a good SUV would mean stretching my budget a lot. The initial contenders were XUV, Scorpio, Safari and the Safari Storme.

Scorpio
Scorpio was ruled out by my fiancée in the looks department however, she did like the seating and the commanding view of the road and the fact that she was able to see the bonnet a bit. So that was the end of Scropio. NOM to current and future owners.... Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.

Safari/Safari Storme

When it came to Safari I contacted 2 dealers in Pune and went to their showrooms. In one Pandit automotives on the old Mumbai-Pune Highway my friend and I stood for around 10-15 minutes even to get noticed. The functioning and the showroom looked like we were standing in some government office where no one was bothered about us. Finally had to approach one of the “desk” ourselves and then we were showed to the Safari “desk”. The person over there was least interested in selling the car or maybe we did not look like potential customers to him but still at least have the courtesy to properly describe the car and at least show us one, forget the test drive. Finally we had to ask him about everything. When we asked him about the test drive he bluntly refused saying “sir, aaj gaadi nahi hai” (sir vehicle not available today), even when we can see people getting out of a test drive vehicle outside the window, was put off by the whole attitude and decided that I am not buying a Tata car ever. Then I approached another Tata dealership on my way back from test driving an XUV, just to give them another chance. The people in this dealership were well trained and the dealership looked professional and a warm welcome and everything was there. We were even asked to check out the ARIA even though we said it is out of my budget. Finally, took a test drive there if the mighty Safari and I was not pleased the gear shifts and steering were harder than my dad’s 12 year old Alto. The engine was screaming horribly (not talking about the diesel clutter) and had to use my complete strength to u turn the Safari which was not the case with XUV or even the Scorpio. This was all in a brand new vehicle which was run only 40-50kms. That was the end of my tryst with the Safari.

The Storme lost out on the price of the vehicle. The Ex showroom for the variant with abs and air bags was 12.3+ which was no where the worth.

Quanto
Somewhere in between had a small stint with the newly launched Mahindra Quanto as well, it fitted my budget and my major requirement of the 7 seats pretty well for short rides and had all the basic safety equipment. So went to TD the vehicle. In the first glance it looked good from the front but the rear end looked like it was chopped off from the Xylo with a Samurai Sword but still it was OK as I would have saved around 5 lakhs for the top end Quanto when compared to the XUV. Took a TD the first impressions were quite good as the performance was good with light steering and a good enough clutch, but as soon as I gained more speed (read 70-80kmph) on the Pune Nashik Highway the car began to bounce like I was sitting on a pogo speed even for the slightest imperfection in the road, tested some more by a sudden twist in the steering and saw the passengers in the rear view mirror, they went from one corner of the vehicle to the another. In my opinion that car is not meant for highways and is good enough only for city driving.

XUV

Now comes the XUV. I am not going to go into the details of the vehicle as much has been said and written about it all over the place and by people who are better writers than I am. I will be just stating how I felt about it.

Test drove the XUV a couple of times and every time I was grinning like an Idiot after the drive. Be it the looks of the vehicle, the seating comfort, the drive train, clutch, braking efficiency, electronics be it anything I was mightily impressed. Took my fiancée to see if she will be able to dive it or not mainly by checking out if her feet and hands can be placed properly. She was smitten by it. The initial niggles and issue thread on other forums and cases of clutch failures and wheel braking did play a part when I was thinking about the XUV but the way these issues and the customers are handled by Mahindra made me take a leap of faith and we decided that XUV would be our first car. Initially, I was confused about the variants and a war in my mind between the W6 and the W8 was going on, majorly because of the financial constraints but at that time my fiancée asked me if that extra EMI will pinch in the long term, I said No it wouldn’t matter after 1 year or 1 increment so she said then it would make sense to buy the W8 because we will be paying an extra of 1.7 lakhs and we will be getting 4 more Air Bags, ESP, Hill hold, and Hill descent. We never cared about the fancy touchscreen or the leather seats or the alloys. So the decision was made for the W8. The color was always a Red.

Finale

The final on road price was 15.36 lakhs including rto (got the older pricing, including 0 dep insurance of 34k) and other stuff. The freebies include:
1. Reverse Camera
2. Side body Moldings
3. 3D floor mats
4. Body Cover.
Now I will let the pics do the talking.

812809_10151331806258997_845077730_o.jpg

812563_10151331806618997_219909967_o.jpg

DSC02041.jpg

DSC02042.jpg

DSC02043.jpg

DSC02046.jpg

DSC02052.jpg

DSC02054.jpg

DSC02055.jpg

DSC02058.jpg

DSC02060.jpg

DSC02063.jpg

DSC02068.jpg

DSC02075.jpg

DSC02076.jpg

DSC02078.jpg

DSC02081.jpg

DSC02087.jpg

DSC02089.jpg

DSC02094.jpg

DSC02105.jpg

DSC02106.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Say Hello to Optimus: A Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 FWD

Very well written review pal.

Have safe journey and enjoy your ride.

Another question did you get the NCB transferred from your alto?
Else zero Depreciation quote is good.

Thread Starter #3

Very well written review pal.

Have safe journey and enjoy your ride.

Another question did you get the NCB transferred from your alto?
Else zero Depreciation quote is good.
Thank You Superbad.

No the Alto is still there with my dad its not in Pune.

Last edited by a moderator:

Congratulations on your new acquisition and thanks for sharing.
Wish you many a safe miles.

Warm Welcome to the Forum!

Cheers
IR

Congratulations for the red Cheetah kinshuk, wishing you a happy million miles with your ride. Please keep this thread updated with your driving experience, any issues & after sales services.

Congrats and a warm welcome to TAI, look's like you have a got a good amount of freebies

congrats man,

This color looks good on XUV.

Congrats for your new XUV,

Wish you a millions of miles ahead.

Happy motoring [:)]

Congratulations brother. Red is one of my most favorite colours in the XUV followed up opulent Purple.

Nice review. Please keep updating it.

Congratulations mate. Excellent write up specially the reason for buying SUV were awesome. Nice set of pics.

Red color on XUV do stand out than lot. Paint Alloys black and you will have killer cheetah at your hands.

I wish you have safe and niggle free ownership and lots of happy miles.

@Kinshuk

Welcome to TAI !! and that was a really good and a crisp review of your buying experience.

It is really an awesome color in XUV and congratulations man !!

Wish you happy miles with your new Red beast

Many congratulations for your red cheetah. Reps for the first pic. Looks like cheetah is chasing someone agressively! The joy of ownership is pretty much obvious on your faces. Wish you lacs of happy miles[cheers].

Thread Starter #14

The Optimus crossed the 1000km mark today.

Till now it is going niggle free. except for one small thing, was quite irritated with a whistling sound that used to come at speeds of 70-80kmph. was able to hear the sound only with windows rolled down.

Today i found out that it was the side rear view mirror against the wind.

How I found out? I used to get similar sound inside my helmet on one particular road at one particular speed, as soon as I used to lift my visor or change my helmet the sound used to go. so thought it might be something similar. and voila.[lol]

Have completed one pune-mumbai-pune in long drives and the rest is city traffic.

My Observations till now.

1. An absolute delight to drive.
2. doesnt break a sweat even after touching 150 (took it to 150 once just to see if the 150kmph buzzer is working or not).
3. People give way even if you flash them once.
4. quite tedious to find a parking spot for this vehicle
5. Slight squeaking noise from front right at speeds of 70-80kmph. will not hear it if the windows are rolled up or you are in traffic.
6. put down the back seat and I was able to transport a small fridge, an oven and many other stuff which it just gobbled down. Amazing boot space
7. Precise Steering. played NFS on mumbai roads once as I was in a bit of hurry and the brakes and steering never disappointed. Although would love to have a little more bite from the brakes.

Optimus returning a milleage of 18+ Non AC on highways and around 17 with AC. In the city without ac around 14 and with AC around 13.

Congratulations on your new acquisition and thanks for sharing.
Wish you many a safe miles.

Warm Welcome to the Forum!

Cheers
IR
Thank You Iron Rock.

Congratulations for the red Cheetah kinshuk, wishing you a happy million miles with your ride. Please keep this thread updated with your driving experience, any issues & after sales services.
Thank You Mukesh. Will try to update it as regularly as possible, with each and everything.

Congrats and a warm welcome to TAI, look's like you have a got a good amount of freebies
Thanks Visran. I was actually shocked when the SA agreed for the freebies after just one request.

congrats man,

This color looks good on XUV.
Thanks navnit013, I think XUV looks the best in Red.

Congrats for your new XUV,

Wish you a millions of miles ahead.

Happy motoring
Thank Appu.

Congratulations brother. Red is one of my most favorite colours in the XUV followed up opulent Purple.

Nice review. Please keep updating it.
Thanks Raj. Red is my favourite. was confused between red and purple once but then Red is Red.

Congratulations mate. Excellent write up specially the reason for buying SUV were awesome. Nice set of pics.

Red color on XUV do stand out than lot. Paint Alloys black and you will have killer cheetah at your hands.

I wish you have safe and niggle free ownership and lots of happy miles.
Thanks Dharmesh. I was actually thinkin of sticking the carbon fibre vinyl on the vinyls first. still exploring this idea. will see where it goes.

Congrats for the cheetah. Red colour looks awesum man. All pics are good.
Thanks himalayan3009.

@Kinshuk

Welcome to TAI !! and that was a really good and a crisp review of your buying experience.

It is really an awesome color in XUV and congratulations man !!

Wish you happy miles with your new Red beast
Thank you gurrala74.

Many congratulations for your red cheetah. Reps for the first pic. Looks like cheetah is chasing someone agressively! The joy of ownership is pretty much obvious on your faces. Wish you lacs of happy miles.
Thank you Akash. Dont quite understand the funda behind reps but got the gist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom