Chevrolet Spark (Velvet Sparky): 20,000+ Kms Review

Thread Starter #1
FEW WORDS ABOUT MY WISH TO OWN A CAR.

I wanted to have car especially for my father. He was a driver in Madurai corporation for more than 35 years and had been driver for almost every ministers, corporations commissioners, collectors and corporation mayors. My wish was to have an own car for him. I tried a lot but I could not get a car when he was alive.

FEW WORDS ABOUT MY PREVIOUS CAR.

After having hand full of experience as SW professional I was working with a company for more than 6 years as project manager. My VP knows my wish for car. I was in my clients place and I got a call from my accountant one day told me come to office evening without going home direct from clients place which normally I do.

When I went there she surprised me saying that company has got me a car, Maruti 800 and it was on the way and I need to go and pick it up. Then I asked her about it and she told me VP did everything. There was some amount due from my Company, instead they have got me a car on installment and they will pay the installments. So no money will be deducted from my salary. It was 2nd June 2008.

23062008793.jpg

23062008791.jpg

23062008789.jpg

23062008790.jpg

21062008773.jpg

Funniest part was I do not even know that am going to get a car on that day and I do not have practice on driving also [Even though I just learned driving thru a driving school at Chennai and got my license in 2006]. After that I have never touched the car. So I called my cousin and requested him to drive it to my home.

None at home believed me that the car was ours. We have never tought that we would own a car at any point of time [At least at that situation]. Both my wife, son and daughter were very happy. After couple of days, we took her to Mylapore Kabaleeshwarar templ with the help of a call driver and did Pooja.

Car was there in parking for 2 days. One Sunday with the help of a driver who lives nearby and I tried the wheels by myself for half an hour time in an empty place behind Koyambedu markt. That is it. Next day drove the car for 100 KM up and down to my clients place in Thiruvallur [Around 5 KM B2B traffic].

Maruti 800 was my first car and learned everything. We went for lot of long drives to Mettur, Tuticorin etc. Once we went to Yelagiri also as a practice on hills. As a common car in Chennai it has some scratches, dents (mostly on left side). I drove it for nearly 26000 KMs. By this time I had quit the job from my previous company and joined my present company. Previous company let me to have a car with me.

After driving the car for 7 to 8 months in my previous companies name itself, I have decided to settle things and have a car on my own. And also I had some difficulties practically owning a car which was registered in company’s name. Once my windshield was broken and I had to run pillar to post for claiming insurance.

So after discussion it was decided to sell the car [In current scenario, I think it is a wrong decision. Should have kept that car for another 2-3 years], close the car loan and pay me some amount. So on 10th October 2011, with lots and lots of feelings our maruti 800 departed us. At that time the odo was clocked 26k KMs.

SEARCH FOR NEW CAR

Once the decision was taken to sell of the car I started searching the next car. In my search I had the following constraints.

• Segment
  • Cost
  • Fuel type

Segment wise I wanted to HAVE next segment from maruti 800. And at the same time I do not wanted to go for petrol car but all diesel cars were beyond my cost/budget and EMI would be more every month since I was planning to thru finance option. I thought of getting a used diesel car for my budget but I have to take a risk. Moreover when I look into the usage, it was not very extensive. While I did a small calculation based on my maruti 800, I came to know I hardly drive 100 KM in a week averagely. [i have done four five long trips for more than 10000KMs and balance 16000/26] So I have decided to go for new LPG/Petrol vehicle.

In the mean time I TDed the Ford Figo diesel version. The car was good. I do not remember much about the TD. I dropped the idea sine he was not giving proper answer for my financial requirement.

SHORT LISTED VEHICLES

Based on the search I had zeroed down to three cars

• Wagon-R Duo
  • Santro ECO
  • Spark LPG

Wagan-R Duo was rejected since the reviews said when we are cruzing in high speed it was not stable. Personally, I do not want to go for Santro ECO, some how I did n’t like it.

And finally Spark LPG won the race with the following points.

• Royal look
  • Friends recommendations
  • Reviews on the net
  • Offer given by the dealer I have decided to go for Spark LPG.

MISTAKE I DID

I did not visit any other show rooms and checked any other cars. I have not even TDed the spark. I realy do not know that I can do lot in TD before buying the car. [Since this was my first experience in buying a car. Previous car was got by my previous company]. And also I was not active in TAI at that time.

And the biggest mistake I have not inquired about beat diesel or Indica v2 or EV2.

I have learned lot from that mistake.

Even after finalizing the car I could not go as I had planned since there was some delay in settlement process from my previous Company.

BUYING PROCESS

In the meantime, dealer offered me additional 30k if I go for a 2010 model with a condition that I need to book it immediately since there were another customer is trying to get the same. After discussion, I opted for that offer and went on booking for the spark on 7th October incidentally which was my 40th Birth day.

Once I did it, I had to chase with my previous company and financier for further processing. At last everything was ready by mid of October.
I have arranged loan from Mahindra and Mahindra finance and every formalities where completed. Even after that I was not able to take the delivery of vehicle as planned since there was a corporation election and vehicle registration got delayed since all RTO officials were busy in elections.

But luckily, on 18th when I went to the dealer for handing over documents for registration [my ration card and photos] they have informed me it will get registered on 19th October. Till that moment I have not disclosed anything to my kids. My wife alone knows the process. On 19th afternoon I got a call from dealer saying that I can take the vehicle by evening. Since I did not have a car at that time, I had booked a call taxi and we went to the dealer’s place by the evening. On the way to dealer’s place my kids were keep asking me where we are going and kept the place as surprise to them.

DELIVERY OF THE VEHICLE
Finally we arrived at the dealer place around 5.30 pm, but unfortunately the car was not reached the place from service center. We were waiting for nearly 2 hours. By 7.30pm the car reached the dealers place. Kids were very happy. But my son was insisting me why we did n’t go for Beat Diesel.

logo.jpg

After the basic documentation and billing process we have been handed over the car key. My wife and daughter received the keys on behalf of me and my son. Car was with 5 liters of petrol. At that time I was not very active with TAI and I do not know about check list available for inspection before taking delivery.

After delivery we went to Mylapore kapaleswarar temple and did Pooja for our car. Actually after driving out from dealers place after half a kilo meter, I parked my car on road side in left for five – ten minutes and enjoyed the feeling of owning a car. Thanked my mom and dad for blessing me to have an own car. Thanked god for fulfilling all our wishes. I was really happy to own a next segment car.

ABOUT THE DEALER
The only dealer i called and met was KLN Motors, Kilpauk Chennai. I had a nice experience with them. Actually I had problem in availing a loan [do not want to discuss about it here in the forum] so when I explained this to the representative Mr. Ganesh Ram, he happily helped me to find the right financier for me. Apart from that I don’t have much thing to say about dealer.

FREE ACCESSORIES

I did not have many accessories for free. I could not demand also since there was a mistake in down payment calculation [they have reduced non-metallic cost twice] and I refused to pay since based on the amount quoted by them and I manage to arrange and paid it. Finally they agreed to it.

LIST OF ITEMS I GOT FREE
  • Wheel cap
  • Mud flop
  • Floor mats
  • CPCO offer worth Rs. 15000.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Re: Velvet Sparky - Review after 10k on ODO.

Note - It did not allowed me to put in single post. So breaking it up guys.

OWNER SHIP IMPRESSIONS

In one word I will say this is problem free, very good family car for a four member family. It has very good smooth engine, sound less engine, good pickup. Simple proof is, in my 800 I traveled 600 KMs for more than 12 hours [could be lack of highway experience also]. But in spark I covered the same distance in 8 hours in one stretch with two breaks for breakfast and lunch.

Fantastic AC is provided in spark which regularly after few KMs we reduce it to 2 mostly, which I have never done in 800. Good leg space [even though I have never sat and travelled in rear seat till date] I can vouch for this based on my son’s experience.

ADDITIONAL FEATURES ENJOYING FOR FIRST TIME IN SPARK OR POSITIVE POINTS FROM MY SIDE
  • Powerful AC with four AC vents [M800 has only three]
  • Power windows in front
  • Power steering
  • Zero Noise Cabin, On so many occasions, I have cranked the engine without knowing that it is already running.
  • Inside adjustable OVRM on both sides
  • Day and night IVRM
  • 5 gear speed
  • Trip meter
  • RPM
  • Clock on Display
  • Battery charging voltage
  • Beige interiors
  • So many storage options
  • Console in center which can be see by all in the car and my son and daughter will be excited to see the needle touches 90/100

WHAT I DON'T LIKE or NEGATIVE POINTS
  • Not happy with FE which was my main concern. With AC on LPG in City 8-10. in highway 10-12. Not checked in petrol much. Once I checked in highway+city driving it gave me 13. But Chevy promise was 13 in city and 18 in highway.
  • Beige interiors reflects a lot in windshield which irritates sometimes.
  • While taking right turns the visibility is less due to the A pillar
  • Head light controls and Wiper controls swapped while comparing with other cars [Even Beat is proper]
  • Thigh support for front seat
  • Center console hits right knee. Took this as advantage to rest my knees
  • Windshield wiper cleaning liquid tank is not convenient and as well the cap is not that tight
  • Small boot space, particularly in LPG model since most of the space was occupied by spare wheel which got fixed in rear seat.
  • Glasses on rear door will not go down fully.
  • I have problem with reverse gear. When I was talking with Raja he said even he has the same problem with his sparky too. It will not engage properly. You have to try for second time again going back to Neutral.
  • Power steering is not up-to the mark. Even though this is the first car for me to drive with PS, when I compare with My friend's BEAT this is little be harder.
  • I hate the position of horn switch in steering wheel. You have to press exactly in middle which we need to have control only with one had while using horn.

MODS DONE
  • Xenos DVD HU
  • Oval Pioneer Speakers at rear
  • Round Speakers [non branded] in front
  • Reverse Camera
  • DVD roof top screen
  • White LED for cabin light.
  • Parcel Trey.
  • Antenna
  • God idol
  • LED Lighting for rear boot space
  • LED bulbs for Front parking light
  • Piranha Remote lock.

MODS PLANING
  • Rear Power Windows
  • Rear Speakers re-arrangement.
  • Puddle lamp/Red lamp in all four doors out of which puddle lamp will be useful for the passengers getting down from car and Red lamp will be usefull for other drivers pass thru to know that the somethign is there, so that I can save my door
  • LED for Reversing light and front/back indicators
  • Fog Lamp
  • Another 3.5 LCD screen since reverse camera as of now is connected to roof top LCD screen which is little bit difficult to use reverse camera.
  • After market Seat Belt warning [at least for driver]
  • Temperature Monitor

PROBLEMS WHICH NEED TO BE LOOKED INTO
  • Door handles losts its polish and now looks faded now.
  • Whiper blades are not doing its job.
  • Recently on 10000 km service I have requested to rotate the tyre. After rotation, i had gone for my madurai trip. Drove the car nearly for 1200 KMs in just 3 days. On the day of returning felt a wobbling. But managed to come back. After reaching chennai visited ASS to check the wobbling problem and found that the tyre rear right side tyre thread has gone and could see the steel inside the tyres. When I checked with the guy he said, the rim got bends. so replaced with spare wheel and then it is okie [Do not know will this also get the same problem.] Net result was to change the tyre. I just went to the tyre shop and asked for the bend in the rim and he said the rim is perfect. Totally confused.

VEHICLE INFO
  • Chevy SPARK
  • LS LPG
  • 2010 model purchased in 2011
  • Velvet Red - Non Metalic

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3

Pictures Time​

Sparkling EYE of my sparky
sparky_001.jpg

Front view
sparky_002.jpg
sparky_003.jpg
sparky_004.jpg
sparky_005.jpg

Side View
sparky_014.jpg

Rear View
sparky_015.jpg
sparky_016.jpg
sparky_017.jpg

Front seat view
sparky_011.jpg sparky_013.jpg

Rear seat View
sparky_010.jpg sparky_012.jpg

Rear Doors
sparky_007.jpg sparky_006.jpg

Cabin front view
sparky_009.jpg

Cabin Rear view
sparky_008.jpg

Thread Starter #4

Pictures continued from previous post​

LPG Tank
sparky_Accs001.jpg
sparky_Accs002.jpg
sparky_Accs003.jpg

ICE Installation
sparky_Accs009.jpg
sparky_Accs010.jpg
sparky_Accs008.jpg
sparky_Accs007.jpg
sparky_Accs011.jpg
sparky_Accs016.jpg
sparky_Accs006.jpg

Reverse Camera [As of now not working [cry]
sparky_Accs012.jpg
sparky_Accs013.jpg
sparky_Accs014.jpg
sparky_Accs015.jpg

LED Cabin Light
sparky_Accs017.jpg
sparky_Accs018.jpg
sparky_Accs019.jpg
sparky_Accs020.jpg
sparky_Accs021.jpg

ODO on 21 Nov 2011 and 12 Oct 2012
sparky_Accs005.jpg
sparky_Accs004.jpg

Last edited:

Thread now LIVE from TIP section.

Sethu sir this is for me the best ownership review on the forum. Written with a pure solid heart of 24 Carat Gold!

I am really touched, this is not just a review of a car, but tells me a lot lot more.
I get a tremendous sense of human spirit, endeavours, humility and sheer positive energy.

One thing specifically I would like to add is your dad is still watching you and is extremely proud of you - keep up the good work mate, the 800 and sparky are just the beginning.

I am hooked up to this thread, hope you update it regularly, also its my humble wish to meet you someday when i am down south, it will be a great honour - Sorry i am acting up like a fan but i really am.

A big salute sir!

Last edited:

Wow! Sir, this is one of the detailed reviews which had honesty, emotions, straight from heart approach. Hats off to your patience to put down things in such granular details. Wishing you many more happy miles with Sparky [clap]

Thread Starter #9

IR/Akash, Thanks for the appreciation. Actually I am preparing this for past one year. Please note the created date of the document.

review started.png

Okie Okie Guys.. Dont look at me like that. [lol]

Could n't continue and complete it on time due to various reasons. Suddenly got busy with SAP implementation. I was waiting for a break. But after reading couple of ownership reviews, I could n't resist myself from completing it. So decided to sit tightly for couple of days and did what I wanted.

If I have not given much technical feed back, am sorry guys. Not much into that. But whatever I had felt I have provided. Hope this will be useful for some one in future. Mainly the Mistakes part. I want everyone to do things properly even if it takes little be more time. Do not get excited about getting a new car and Dont fall into it.

In-fact I might have forgot some points for sure and hope to update it when ever I remember things.

Once again thanks guys. TAIians Rockz[;)]

Last edited:

@ sethu

Lovely passionate honest review . It was a delight to read it . Since I have met you I could visualize your story in my mind . Lovely review . Iam rating it 5 stars for the articulate and honest way of documenting the journey . thanx so much .

And btw power sterring in spark is hydraulic unit and not electronic hence its a bit heavy compared to the electronic units found in other cars .

Thread Starter #11

@ sethu

Lovely passionate honest review . It was a delight to read it . Since I have met you I could visualize your story in my mind . Lovely review . Iam rating it 5 stars for the articulate and honest way of documenting the journey . thanx so much .
Thank you for the rating as well as your lovely comments.

And btw power sterring in spark is hydraulic unit and not electronic hence its a bit heavy compared to the electronic units found in other cars .
Yes I came to know recently that there is difference between ordinary PS and EPS. Thanks.

Anyway, am not comfort with this PS. Some times I feel it is more or less equal to Manual steering.[cry]

Very nice ownership thread.

Spark is a very good car from Chevrolet.

Any particular reason the rear oval speakers have been put side by side in the parcel shelf?

Cheers,
Anshuman

Sethu, really good review, very well written. A few points that I would like to point out (which you have mentioned as negative of Spark) but applicable to some other cars as well.
1) Power steering vis a vis Beat: Beat has electronic PS where as Spark has hydraulic one. There are advantages and disadvantages of both.
2) Wiper and Indicator stalks are inverted generally for American cars (true for GM and Ford as well). Thats how they are. Again not a disadvantage.

As you might have learnt that I recently sold my Spark and got a really good price. Got 2L after 4.5 years (had originally bought for 3.8L OTR), which I think is quite good.
If you decide to sell your car (and this is applicable for any car), take atleast 3-4 months time and try to sell directly (give an ad through the online portals), i.e not through/to the dealer. Dealers would offer very low price considering they will have to keep the car for another 2-3 months and make a profit too.
Hence the assumption that Spark has a low resale is perhaps not true. It might not be a quick sale like Marutis' are but if you compare the new car sales figure between say Zen and Spark, you will get the percentage of people who will be interested in the spark to be quite low (compared to Zen/Alto). Hence resale interest in the car would be proportionately low too.
Spark is a structurally sound car and would serve you as long as you want to keep it.

With respect to low FE, ask your Service centre for a ECU remap. Also please check the car's last pollution results. If the results are on the higher side of the limit, you might try to go for 3M injector cleaning etc., which should bring down your pollution results as well as increase the FE.

Hope that helps.

Thread Starter #14

Very nice ownership thread.

Spark is a very good car from Chevrolet.

Any particular reason the rear oval speakers have been put side by side in the parcel shelf?

Cheers,
Anshuman
Bieng mine is LPG mode, LPG tank occupies the spare wheel position. Spare wheel is fixed to Rear seat.

Since the spare wheel is fixed to the right side, do not have space to put speakers there. so I was forced to move both to same side.

you go thru the link where there was some discussion on this subject

Sethu sir,

Let me congratulate you for this wonderful ownership report which felt like reading emotions of a petrolhead.

I usually avoid myself from commenting on personal stuff of members, but the below words touched my heart.

My wish was to have an own car for him. I tried a lot but I could not get a car when he was alive.
Let me tell you that "You are a winner already". I am sure your parents must be proud of you and your noble wish.

Excellent review sir. I had been reading it each time you updated it. Undoubtedly, this is the finest ownership report i have ever read.

Last edited:

Top Bottom