My First Love: Royal Enfield Thunderbird Twin Spark

Thread Starter #1
Hello Bikers,

This is an intro and buying experience post. Though I brought my bride two years ago I was inspired by various write-ups of fellow bikers and I would like to mark my first post about my love in TAI.

Caution - Tooooo Big post, read when you find time!!

Birdie I call her fondly. It all started in the year 2009 when my dad approved my plan of buying a new bike. My wish list is long but the pay slip was short. I was very clear about "what bike" but continued to read all the threads and user reviews so as to make myself ready to face all niggles, what to expect and what not.

Though I cleared my Engineering Math II and Math III only in the final semester my love on Math rose as I figure out the maintenance, fuel expenses, emi, interest rate and initial payment. I found so comfortable in spending the entire day doing math, Comparing quotes from various bankers with no signs of boring. Lesson learnt - calculations are cool!

Finally completed the calculation part and planned my expenditure to save money for the initial payments. Weren't my parents helping me to get my girl? Yes, Dad was the first person in the family who gave a go but price of my princess left him speechless. In fact he regretted his decision. He suggested some X, Y and Z brand but I had a strong grudge on those bikes. It is her or no-one was my feeling. Dad knows me well and he left the final call with me. Verdict - Dad neither supported my decision nor denied.

I neither bug him for money nor I was in a hurry but I should admit the mental agony I had about my inability to bring her home. Managed to pull an additional job in BSNL apart from the regular IT job I had. I started saving more cash, worked all the day & continued in the night, no calls to friends, no trips and no hang-outs. I was too busy for anything. Neither my dad nor my mom showed any signs of happiness with the way I lived all those months. It was April 18, 2010 Sunday I had a final talk with my parents about my decision of buying a bike.

Me - Mom and Dad, I want to say something to you,
Dad - I knew what it is all about.....
Me - Only if you are ok, I will proceed else I shall postpone it to sometime later. I am happy with what I have.
Dad - So how much you made so far? How are you going to manage your other expenditure if you pay the Rs.XYZ as EMI?
Me - Dad, I think I can manage [in a humble tone].
Dad - Ok, if you can I have no problem, GO AHEAD [not very happily though]!
Me - Thank you so much [I knew they are not comfortable but I cannot live a life without her], we will all go tomorrow to pay the token advance so that I can have my bike delivered on my Birthday.
Dad - That’s fine with me.
Me - Mom..?
Mom - If you guys are ok, I have no problems at all.

I had a sleep-less night and haven’t seen her in flesh yet wearing all the bells. I was too excited to be awake the entire night thinking about her. Nights are too long in India - I hate it. Finally it was 3 am in the morning. I took Sam [My six months old Doberman] for a walk and he was too pissed for the early morning walk and peed on the car. He continued doing all the best to irate me but I was super cool to meet my miss.

Finally at 9 am in the morning we left home and reached the girl's place! My dad and Mom showed happy signs after visiting the place. Dad was busy doing the talking’s and the booking while I was busy showing my Mom the girls place. Dad wanted to have her delivered on my birthday and Sales guy assured to do, He also added to keep us posted as soon as the girl show-up in the town. We left the place after a good 40 minutes all set and I was the happiest soul in the world.

I read people complaining about the waiting period and BOY! It is pathetic. I could neither concentrate on my work nor rest at ease. My numerous visits to the bank made me acquainted with them and they were also excited about my Birdie. I had to promise them a ride to get my loan approved. Documentation was minimal as they maintain my salary account wit. I spent an hour and had my loan sanctioned I was informed that the DD will be couriered to Girls place eod Wednesday.

I had a hard time pushing the days apart and had to plan certain things before uniting with my girl. I requested a day off on Monday, May 03, 2010 well in advance just to be on safer side. My manager knows my passion and he promptly replied approving the leave. Booking amount paid, Loan Sanctioned, Leave approved but no update from the dealers. I dropped at the girls place and enquired her arrival, they promptly replied saying that she left her birth place and was on her way, expected in the next few days.
Days are dead, took a break from office and rode till Ooty. Found some sweet spot for a beautiful picture of me and my bride, leaning all the way down and did all non-sense I could.

I received a call from the dealer on Saturday May 01, 2010.

Sales guy - Hello Sir,
Me - Hey
Sales Guy - Your bike arrived last night and this is the reminder call to make the balance payment.
Me - [excited] May I come now to see her??
Sales Guy - Of course.
Me - I am on the way, will be there in 10/15 minutes.
Sales Guy - Ok Sir, Will meet you then.

I conveyed Mom and Dad about her presence in the town and my plans to meet her. I called the banker on my way and the call wasn’t attended. I figure-out something bad was on my way. Tried numerous times and no answer, I made up my mind to meet them in personnel after seeing my birdie. I had my next bad news waiting at the showroom, Sales personnel informed me that they are yet to receive the cheque and it may take at least two days for the amount to be credited to their account. He also added that they may not handover the bike till the money is deposited in their account. I was broken and left the place without seeing her.

Came back home feeling so depressed, my Mom felt bad for things happened and she did all the best to bring me out of it. Spent the whole day doing nothing and Dad came home after his day at work. He convinced me and took me out for a ride. I felt so happy to see Mom and Dad doing all they can to make me happy. I missed her very badly but managed to come out of it – Just to make my parents happy.

I dozed off immediately expecting a better day tomorrow Birthday countdown starts [24 hours to go]. I spent the day shopping clothes and returned home in the evening. Phone started buzzing at midnight, friends calling to wish me a happy birthday – Best buddies were at my home in the night and we had a happy cake cut with friends and family at home. Everyone made my day and that was the most memorable Birthday I ever had.

Wide awake the whole night, Chat on and on.., Texted everyone who wished and was busy unpacking few gifts from friends. As the leave was already approved I planned a day-out with friends, First visit to a restaurant, to a movie and finally gathered at friends place. Blast continued the whole day but to my surprise I received a call from the dealer again.

Dealer - Sir, Very happy birthday to you.
Me - Thank you so much, happy that you remember my birthday.
Dealer - Sir, can you show up to the showroom now,
Me - Why?
Dealer - You are yet to finalize the crash guards and other fittings.
Me - Ok, I will come in 30 minutes. [I thought of showing up my girl to all my friends]

We all reached the showroom and to my surprise Dad, Mom and Sis were waiting there expecting my arrival. Dad smiled at me and gave a box, I was pretty sure what that is but I continued to open. I was correct; it was the key to unlock my birdie!!!! I hugged Mom, Dad and Sis together and I had the next surprise. Sales Rep informed me that my dad had already paid the entire amount in cash and the bike is all mine. I was totally lost, Eyes flooded with tears [out of excitement] and with a big smile on face I finally rode her back home...

Yes, she is my pride possession till date and forever - ROYAL ENFIELD THUNDERBIRD TWIN SPARK. We are living happily together.

WISH ME LUCK GUYS!!

God Bless!
Cheers,
Bikerb0y

Finally had taken few snaps in the morning today!

Attachments

Cool! May be the most touching ownership experience I ever have read in TAI. You are lucky in two ways man! You got a wonderful girl friend (as you mentioned) along with caring parents.
One doubt, why you call it a "girl"? in fact, thunderbird is a mankind right?
Wish you many many more happy birthdays with your parents and girlfriend[:)]

Wonderful write up, thoroughly enjoyed reading it and those beautiful pictures of your ride will only make this thread look even more sweeter. subscribed and hooked to this thread.please do share your experience with your bike in the past couple of years.

I took Sam [My six months old Doberman] for a walk and he was too pissed for the early morning walk and peed on the car.

Sales Rep informed me that my dad had already paid the entire amount in cash and the bike is all mine.

Yes, she is my pride possession till date and forever - ROYAL ENFIELD THUNDERBIRD TWIN SPARK. We are living happily together.

WISH ME LUCK GUYS!!
I hate your Doberman.

Great Dad!

Congrats for the T'Bird and all the best - you'll need it. Run it in properly for at least 3000 kms and stick to the maintenance schedule. Get it serviced in fornt of your eyes.

p.s.: Is this review late in coming? One doesn't get Red T'birds anymore, what with the revamp of the T'bird lineup.

p.p.s: Those RD handlebars must be comfier then OEM bars, I presume?

p.p.p.s: I hate, hate, HATE your Doberman.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
Cool! May be the most touching ownership experience I ever have read in TAI. You are lucky in two ways man! You got a wonderful girl friend (as you mentioned) along with caring parents.
One doubt, why you call it a "girl"? in fact, thunderbird is a mankind right?
Wish you many many more happy birthdays with your parents and girlfriend[:)]
Thank you! Guys are always attracted by GIRLS and that is the reason behind calling my ride as Girl. [I ride it]

God Bless!
Cheers,
Bikerb0y

Thread Starter #6
Wonderful write up, thoroughly enjoyed reading it and those beautiful pictures of your ride will only make this thread look even more sweeter. subscribed and hooked to this thread.please do share your experience with your bike in the past couple of years.
Thank you, I shall share my experience in the days to follow.

God Bless!
Cheers,
Bikerb0y

Thread Starter #8
I hate your Doberman.

Great Dad!

Congrats for the T'Bird and all the best - you'll need it. Run it in properly for at least 3000 kms and stick to the maintenance schedule. Get it serviced in fornt of your eyes.

p.s.: Is this review late in coming? One doesn't get Red T'birds anymore, what with the revamp of the T'bird lineup.

p.p.s: Those RD handlebars must be comfier then OEM bars, I presume?

p.p.p.s: I hate, hate, HATE your Doberman.
DOBERMAN - He is my best friend, You will like him when you meet him.

My Dad is my hero.

Thank you for your wishes, Completed the run-in two years before and had visited several places in South India. Still in prestine condition - Made like a gun and goes like a rocket.

This review is very late indeed, TBTS are no more in production however you get the All NEW RE Thunderbird these days.

RD Handlebars are very comfortable especially to lean and take the corners and also to drive in the city.

God Bless!
Cheers,
Bikerb0y.

Thread Starter #10
I am a BIG fan of the Thunderbird and love the new 500. Your bike just looks great man! Congracts.

The new 500 was real fun and I was one of the very few to test the bike before the global unveil. Lucky ME. It is a modern cruiser from Classic biker maker. I liked the riding posture and power packed to it. Not to complain about the brakes either – It is a fantastic ride altogether.

God Bless!
Cheers,
Bikerb0y

Thread Starter #11
Nice write up Bikerb0y, congratulations for your Thunderbird, so any plans to take her to leh?

Leh is still in pipes! I had to complete some of the destinies in South India, add another feather to my riding hat before doing any rides in North! I already have spotted few places up the North and I am sure me and my girl will visit sometimes in the future.

God Bless!
Cheers,
Bikerb0y

Nice write up and this color is looking superb.
I am going through all the reviews of the Thunderbird Twin spark. Your Narration is very nice and hats off to your family.
So, How is it doing now.

Thread Starter #13
Nice write up and this color is looking superb.
I am going through all the reviews of the Thunderbird Twin spark. Your Narration is very nice and hats off to your family.
So, How is it doing now.
Thank you very much! Red is my favorite colour, TBTS is a wonderful bike when it comes to touring and I don’t complain about her ride in Chennai traffic! Maneuvering made easy with the RD 350 handlebar and it is going OK I would say! I am not riding frequently these days as bike is in bad shape [I meant the engine]. Piston barrel was weak and pushing her to triple digits has become tiresome! I made some and about to take some crucial decisions! Will keep you posted..

Just noticed that you are from Cbe - COOL MAN! Where are you put-up at Coimbatore. My parents stay at Hope College and if possible we shall catch up when I am in town!

Last edited:

Top Bottom