Mahindra Thar CRDe Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
I booked Thar CRDE in July last year in Himachal, 20K booking amount, 3 month waiting period, only black and silver colors were available. I been told that Thar with AC is not available. In October delivery date get closer, still nobody got any any clue about car, but price increased 50K compared to the time of booking. If you like buying car in total blindness, then come to Himachal and book Thar. When we got call to come for delivery, we reached showroom and been surprised that car fitted with AC.

I really dont care about things like bad quality plastic if it is with AC or not. For Himachal you CANT buy better car. Firs impression was ... well it is a truck, well powered truck, but nothing in between of SUV and truck, just a truck. in another words - love from first sight. Any where you go on Thar it is feel good factor, in any situation you get it is just like nothing else will do.

Roads are bad in Himachal in most places and narrow, speeding buses pushing other traffic out of tarmac. No drama for Thar. In some places such bumps and holes on road, some time covered with grass, so bumpers of sedans and hatchbacks getting serious survival testing. On Thar, - Why is this road so bad, road departments corrupt probably. No any road is bad enough for Thar. So, any where you drive on Thar it is - non stop feel good factor.

Once, I drove on narrow road toward the rope bridge over Beas. It was very decline road, like 60-70 degree down the hill, then after about 100m this road turns sharp right, so you cant see if there is any incoming car. When, I almost reach that first turn old Boleno showed up, we placed stones under Thar so it will not roll down, I switched on low 4x4 drive and without any trouble made my way up on reverse on very bad road. Not one Maruti Alto got front bumper damaged on that stretch of the road. I was able to drive it on That on reverse, what a wow factor.

Thar as it is after show room, taking bath in Beas. will continue...

tharbeas.jpg

Modifications.

Some of these modification has been decided to do long before delivery.
Some still waiting to be done and been added the list recently.

List of Modification.

1. Installed cigarette lighter, needed for GPS and mobile phone charging. Smoking kills right.

2. Installed fog lights. Must have at winter in North. Installed funny lights, something better the nothing, served quite well once during dense fog on the way from Kullu to Punjab at night.

3. Upgraded driving lights to HELA 90w. Tested xenon, well .. No way it can be focused, driving with scattered lights not for me.

4. Front bumper and front grill from Bimbra, easily best bumper for Thar, from what I've seen. Aero dynamics improved on higher speeds significantly with new bumper.

front.jpg

5. Side rolls from Bimbra, nice addition too.

6. Rear bumper, simple and functional. Number plate in between, no lights, who cares.

rearbumper.jpg

7. Steel trunk. I made it for long drives it proved to be very practical so it become permanent now. Good storage and place to relax during long non stop drives.

steeltrunk.jpg

8. GPS Garmin, Garmin maps for India now been updated, very useful piece of equipment.

Drive:

It is short car and drive is bumpy, it getting better after first few thousand kms. Not something what bother me at love.

Cornering real good, Body roll - not observed.

Brakes, horrible and horrible, anybody easy can understand, it have to be replaced after first drive on high way. Press little harder it will lock all wheels with no braking happens at all. Slide with no control during braking of where it goes. I knew about it before I purchased Thar so no drama. First thing Brabus to do on Mercedeses - replacing brakes. Up gradation can be done for about 35K.

Hard top
Must if you planning drive on highways. After 120kmh soft top start flopping like mad, really impossible to go faster with this soft top. I planning to install Bimbra's fiberglass hard top, for 50K it is seems like good choice.

Engine
Power is awesome, brilliant engine. After remapping it I hope to get it work as it should be.
After hard top installed and brakes upgraded, last thing will be to remap engine and fix K&N air filter.

For those who love cars and jeeps, Thar is a perfect platform to start with, on the way to a dream car. Hardly any car in India can compete with Thar, on the number of things you can do with it.

Accidents: Two.
First , Been hit by a …. horse. I been driving at night at narrow road in Himachal and saw few horses approaching. I parked Thar on side of the road, but mistake was that I did not turned driving lights off. Horse was blinded by lights panicked and hit near right turn indicator. Lesson leaned.

Second, been hit by a biker to the rear bumper, poor fella.

horsemark.jpg

spaceback.jpg

topview.jpg

Last edited:
Nice writeup and good pictures.
Your jeep looks awesome.
Post more pictures of your interior.
Did you remap your ECU ? If yes the say about the pickup and topspeed difference.

Wonderful ownership review..

the more and more i read through Mahindra Product ownership reviews nowdays, the more i am convinced that M&M has really got Tata Motors beater products (UVs / SUVs)

UVs if at all Tata is still in reckoning, will all be lost in few years... phew [frustration]

Tata Motors might soon become a Niche Passenger car company with some Taxi image low end products like Indica / Vista sisters and some niche UVs like Safari Storme

Anyway - M&M is beating TML hands down in every department..[glasses]

PS - I have a wonderful and faithful Indica XETA from 6 yrs back..But it is a long period in todays automotive scenario, where new products and newer segments are getting created and challenged every month

Thread Starter #7
thanks everybody, yes next is hard top and brakes. doing remap does not make any sense if this two things not fixed first. I going to fix hard top in Bimbra in Delhi, but where brakes job can be done in Pune/Mumbai I do not have an idea, I would appreciate any pointers. Manual kindly provided by Behram Dhabhar is comprehensive. But I'm not limited to exactly this solution brakes if I can install Brabus brakes somewhere in Mumbai I will do that.

Remap can be done with aggressive and conservative setting, at least 40bhp addition to current to 103.5 bhp, that what I would expect with conservative remap. Luckily I have right people for the job.

here is few mopre pics, Side roll bars fro Bimbra

Interior simple, seats basic, I do not have problem with. Navigator Garmin near Ganesh.

Attachments

Last edited:
Congrat's buddy, loved those front bumpers,Bimbra hardtops are well made and fit's perfectly too.

How about giving a big AT wheels with a good alloy's?

Thread Starter #9
thanks, visran,
I 'm not sure about alloys or tyre up size. Most of my drives on tarmac, but I going to Himachal for summer and there is a lot of stones and huge pot holes. I drives at night a lot, so chances are good that I may hit one or two such pot holes and alloy will crack. Once I see what speed Thar can do after remap I will decide on tyres or alloy accordingly.

I would strongly suggest you not to go for the remap on this car, Thar already has a good power to weight ratio,it's nimble & torquey, and also playing with the engine specs might kill the warranty too.

Hi buddy, congratz on your beast. I have driven the beast for very short amount of time, it left me speechless. the power it have makes you forget the other negativities of the vehicle. The mods of front bumper and grill have made Thar look more beautiful.

But one thing I am still very much dis appointed that after paying 8 lacs or so one still have to go for lot of modifications to make this car a perfect ride.

How was Thar behaving at 120 KMPH?

Thread Starter #13
I would strongly suggest you not to go for the remap on this car, Thar already has a good power to weight ratio,it's nimble & torquey, and also playing with the engine specs might kill the warranty too.
Remap, correctly done, will not void warranty. In any case all settings can be returned to previous backup. Current settings is really silly in this engine, my conclusion for remapping very firm. In India people do not have much experience with remaps, but in Europe it is much more common. It is just right thing to do.

Thar cost me 7,20L on road, plus 30K for Bimbra mods.

Hi buddy, congratz on your beast. I have driven the beast for very short amount of time, it left me speechless. the power it have makes you forget the other negativities of the vehicle. The mods of front bumper and grill have made Thar look more beautiful.

But one thing I am still very much dis appointed that after paying 8 lacs or so one still have to go for lot of modifications to make this car a perfect ride.

How was Thar behaving at 120 KMPH?
I dont feel disappointing. Making mods in my case was the reason I got Thar in first place. I want something special, otherwise why not to buy Bolero 4x4, with same engine, hard top, much better interiors and seats.

People buys Mercedes G class, which cost more then crore in India and give it to Brabus, to change everything, engine, brakes, wheels. Thar project is very modest money wise compared to Merc G from Brabus.

Thar on 120kmh is perfect, it can cruise 24/7 on that speed. It can go easy 130-140, but not with soft top.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont feel disappointing. Making mods in my case was the reason I got Thar in first place. I want something special, otherwise why not to buy Bolero 4x4, with same engine, hard top, much better interiors and seats.

People buys Mercedes G class, which cost more then crore in India and give it to Brabus, to change everything, engine, brakes, wheels. Thar project is very modest money wise compared to Merc G from Brabus.

Thar on 120kmh is perfect, it can cruise 24/7 on that speed. It can go easy 130-140, but not with soft top.
Can you post some pics of the bimbra hard top please or pics of guys who have installed it ?

Thread Starter #15
they call it

Thar Removable FRP HardTop
▶ Easy to remove & Install.

▶ Requires no alteration in the original body, no cutting of the B-Pillar. Originality of the Vehicle Intact.

▶ Three piece FRP Body in Matte Black Finish.

▶ PU Insulation makes the hardtop noise proof, weather proof & much more durable for off-roading.

▶ Designed such that even a tall person can easily sit on the back side.

▶ Dual Finish from both Inside and Outside

▶ Protect Your Belongings & Valuables in your Vehicle while making the A/C much more effective.

▶ Rear Door can be opened from the inside, as well as the outside.

▶ Protection Against Extreme Climate & Rain
for 50K cant ask for more, but I've seen few of this hard tops, freshly installed and used in off roading, all fine. No rattle noise, nicely installed and strong construction.

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom