I booked Thar CRDE in July last year in Himachal, 20K booking amount, 3 month waiting period, only black and silver colors were available. I been told that Thar with AC is not available. In October delivery date get closer, still nobody got any any clue about car, but price increased 50K compared to the time of booking. If you like buying car in total blindness, then come to Himachal and book Thar. When we got call to come for delivery, we reached showroom and been surprised that car fitted with AC.
I really dont care about things like bad quality plastic if it is with AC or not. For Himachal you CANT buy better car. Firs impression was ... well it is a truck, well powered truck, but nothing in between of SUV and truck, just a truck. in another words - love from first sight. Any where you go on Thar it is feel good factor, in any situation you get it is just like nothing else will do.
Roads are bad in Himachal in most places and narrow, speeding buses pushing other traffic out of tarmac. No drama for Thar. In some places such bumps and holes on road, some time covered with grass, so bumpers of sedans and hatchbacks getting serious survival testing. On Thar, - Why is this road so bad, road departments corrupt probably. No any road is bad enough for Thar. So, any where you drive on Thar it is - non stop feel good factor.
Once, I drove on narrow road toward the rope bridge over Beas. It was very decline road, like 60-70 degree down the hill, then after about 100m this road turns sharp right, so you cant see if there is any incoming car. When, I almost reach that first turn old Boleno showed up, we placed stones under Thar so it will not roll down, I switched on low 4x4 drive and without any trouble made my way up on reverse on very bad road. Not one Maruti Alto got front bumper damaged on that stretch of the road. I was able to drive it on That on reverse, what a wow factor.
Thar as it is after show room, taking bath in Beas. will continue...
Some of these modification has been decided to do long before delivery.
Some still waiting to be done and been added the list recently.
List of Modification.
1. Installed cigarette lighter, needed for GPS and mobile phone charging. Smoking kills right.
2. Installed fog lights. Must have at winter in North. Installed funny lights, something better the nothing, served quite well once during dense fog on the way from Kullu to Punjab at night.
3. Upgraded driving lights to HELA 90w. Tested xenon, well .. No way it can be focused, driving with scattered lights not for me.
4. Front bumper and front grill from Bimbra, easily best bumper for Thar, from what I've seen. Aero dynamics improved on higher speeds significantly with new bumper.
5. Side rolls from Bimbra, nice addition too.
6. Rear bumper, simple and functional. Number plate in between, no lights, who cares.
7. Steel trunk. I made it for long drives it proved to be very practical so it become permanent now. Good storage and place to relax during long non stop drives.
8. GPS Garmin, Garmin maps for India now been updated, very useful piece of equipment.
It is short car and drive is bumpy, it getting better after first few thousand kms. Not something what bother me at love.
Cornering real good, Body roll - not observed.
Brakes, horrible and horrible, anybody easy can understand, it have to be replaced after first drive on high way. Press little harder it will lock all wheels with no braking happens at all. Slide with no control during braking of where it goes. I knew about it before I purchased Thar so no drama. First thing Brabus to do on Mercedeses - replacing brakes. Up gradation can be done for about 35K.
Must if you planning drive on highways. After 120kmh soft top start flopping like mad, really impossible to go faster with this soft top. I planning to install Bimbra's fiberglass hard top, for 50K it is seems like good choice.
Power is awesome, brilliant engine. After remapping it I hope to get it work as it should be.
After hard top installed and brakes upgraded, last thing will be to remap engine and fix K&N air filter.
For those who love cars and jeeps, Thar is a perfect platform to start with, on the way to a dream car. Hardly any car in India can compete with Thar, on the number of things you can do with it.
First , Been hit by a …. horse. I been driving at night at narrow road in Himachal and saw few horses approaching. I parked Thar on side of the road, but mistake was that I did not turned driving lights off. Horse was blinded by lights panicked and hit near right turn indicator. Lesson leaned.
Second, been hit by a biker to the rear bumper, poor fella.