My dad bought this car on 29 Jan 2004. I was always attracted towards this sedan. On the option list we had Maruti Suzuki Esteem but we settled for Tata Indigo GLX, the top end petrol. Not knowing that this was just the beginning of troubles.
We booked our car on 20/21 jan I think, not sure. My dad chose Olive Green as colour for our new car but the tata guy told us that if we want that colour we will have to wait for 15 days. So we settled for Arctic Silver and the car was delivered on 29Jan. They came in evening since my home is abt 60km frm dealer. In addition to my car there was another blue indigo marina which was also going for its new customer with a big bang on its drivers door. When asked the tata guy told that they will repair that dent n then will deliver the car to its customer. So before they left I closely inspected my Indigo for any foul, but there was none. Fuel Efficiency
- The maximum I got out of the car was abt 14 kmpl with AC. Not appreciable but ok. Performance and Handling
- I found it quite peppy n fun to drive. But the on highways the car often ran out of breath maybe because I pushed her too hard. Top speed handling was not very good. (I m talking abt 120kmph+) but not bad just ok. Body roll was not that prominent but could be felt while cornering turns at a bit high speeds. Gearbox lacked refinement. And even the new indigo has the same problem.
- Ride quality was also not very good. I would rate it 6.5/10. Rear seats were comfortable n had enough legroom.
- Interiors almost same as the ones in Indica. 4 lspoke leather wrapped steering felt good. Black n Grey interior looked decent with fabric inserts on doors. The instrument cluster looked good with illumination control. The car was full of loose plastic bits, from door locks to ac vents. Plastic quality really cheap. Safety
- In the name safety the car had Collapsible steering, safety belts. Problems
- First incident:
Got the boot changed once. Expenses were incurred by Tata guys. Actually they installed a spoiler(changed 3times by TASS) on my car but due to installation errors(Used punch) the boot developed minute cracks which were found by Tata guys during sevicing. First they were reluctant to admit their mistake but after my dad cooly threatened to file a case, they came, took our car n replaced the boot n I hence I got my new spoiler.
: Had given the car for denting painting job. There were 4 dents(all of them were quite visible) that were to be repaired. I made the service advisor look at them. He assured me that the car will be done with the job within 3 days.
After 3 days, he dropped the car at my place when only my mom was home.(I was away for my classes). I dont if it was my good luck or the guys bad luck, he was just leaving the place when i arrived. I asked him to wait till i check the car and to my surprise 2 dents were still there. When asked about the reason he cooly said "Sir(my dad) didnt ask us to remove those dents. He didnt tell us that these dents were there on car". I was surprised and annoyed by his answer. (Man you have got eyes to see, use them). My dad then came and asked them to take car back to SS and get those dents repaired. He took the car and gave the car back after 2 days. All petrol expenses were beared by them and Teflon was done for free(to impress us).
is terrible I tell you. Whenever the car returned from Service centre the car developed a new problem and this cycle went on n on. Experience with the car
- I loved this car too much but without proper service one cannot keep a car for very long, n Tata took care of that. So I finally sold off this baby of my mine an year ago to a friend of my dad who is loves her a lot(Though he never services the car at TASS,says its better to get it serviced by local mech than tata guys, TASS here is really bad). But glad shes in the same colony so visit her whenever I want. After all she was my first love!! Accessories on board-
Spoiler with brake lamps.
5 spoke wheel caps
External Auto Antennae
Blaupunkt Music System
Deep grey tints
Autocop XS security system Some pics.