My Ambhaari: Mahindra XUV500 Buying & Ownership Experience

Thread Starter #1
Good day everyone!

I am breaking up this lengthy post broadly in to 3 –

First – why did I chose XUV over others.
Second – dealership experience.
Third – would be my ownership experience on an ongoing basis (hopefully!)

Well, after I lost my Scorpio,(http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/road-safety-driving-sense/11264-theft-mahindra-scorpio.html), I had to go in for another car. So started window shopping and researching online for a suitable car. Along with the car, I also had to consider the finance options (company lease or go with a bank?) before I made up my mind.

First checkpoint – should I go for a sedan or a SUV/MUV? After driving Scorpio for 7.5 years, I realized the advantage of a SUV –
1. The road presence – everyone (read, autorikshaw and taxi cabs) makes way for you. Just in case they don’t, you can bully them.
2. The size – we are a family of 6 but extended family can make up 8 or more! Though its usually only me or 4 of us (wiffy and kids) who use the car, the occasional extended family trips can’t be ignored.
3. My mother, who has arthritis, found it easy to get in and out easily in a Scorpio than other cars she has experienced. Basically, an SUV is suitable.
4. Finally, the ‘attitude’ one carries after alighting a SUV is unique! I can swear on this!

Now that I decided to go in for a SUV, I considered few options – (purely, my personal opinion; don’t mean to hurt anyone) –

1. Scorpio – again? Still licking my wounds, hence had to drop it. Ego did not permit to go in for the same car either.
2. Innova ? Did not consider ~8 years ago when I bought Scorpio. Simply, the looks did not impress me much then, nor now. It’s plain jane! Money did not match the features. No character. 3 million Toyota recalls and still considered reliable? Not me. May never buy it in its present avatar.
3. Duster? Not a SUV at all; it’s a cross over. Yet to prove on Indian roads. Just the ground clearance will not impress me. Did look at Duster at the showroom and found nothing great in terms of features and interior.
4. Pricier SUVs from Mitsubishi/Ford/Hyundai/Chevy not even considered. Simply, can’t afford nor VFM in view.
5. Now to the favorite topic on the blog – Safari Storme. Yet to see it in flesh in Bangalore, but never been a Safari fan. I always liked the classic looks btw! Both interior and exterior. Definitely, carries lot of character in its looks and people do make way for Safari. Great ride quality, stable on the road, non-expensive spares, etc. But my friends faced lot of problem with Safari especially in the reliability department. Tata Aria did not even appear on my radar. Simply put it, I feel Mahindra graduated from tractors to SUV quickly, whilst TATAs are yet to graduate from trucks to SUV. The numbers speaks for itself. [roll]

That left me with XUV 5OO. Staying connected online, I had read tons of issues with XUV and did not want to buy XUV. In fact, when XUV was released, few of us friends who own Scorpio wanted to explore trade with XUV. But knowing the niggles, we dropped the idea.

Now that I had limited options, and budget, I had to research deep and hard on XUV. For 3 weeks, I researched few blogs to get different perspective. Filtered out ‘passionate’ and some biased opinions. And then found XUV ‘not bad after all’. The crux of my research – ‘Mahindra knows XUV is not a perfect product, but working towards narrowing that gap’. The constant ‘difference’ they were making to the product demonstrated their attitude towards XUV; the ownership reviews confirmed the same. Having stayed away from the country for a whilst, and driven at least ~50 other cars of different make/model and repute, I was looking for a vehicle with safety and comfort features. XUV fit the bill compared to others (Value Vs. Features).

Took XUV for a test drive (a short drive in fact) and found it to be better than Scorpio in many aspects. I am not going to write something which others have written – about the looks, VFM, features, plastic quality, etc.

Calculated cost advantages/disadvantages of company lease (operating lease) Vs bank loan. After lot of deliberation, decided to go with company lease. The leasing company (ALD) would own and hence take care of the car – insurance, repair, etc., except fuel/oil.

So XUV 5OO it is! [clap]

Re: My, yet to be named, XUV 5OO - Buying and Ownership Experience

Let me be the first one to congratulate you buddy. The XUV5OO is a great car. Its quite infamous too, but I am not complaining. I too have an XUV back home and I terribly miss driving it. As you mentioned, M&M has come a long way... not only from the tractors but even from the Bolero days.

Do update with your driving experiences, especially your opinion about the features (it's usability), the ride and handling, the cabin space and the overall comfort. Last but not the least, your likes and dislikes.

Hey Manuman congrats on your booking.

Which color and variant have you opted for?

Do share your dealership experiences.

Congrats for booking the xuv.

Not trying to take you to the haunted past, but have you been reimbursed for the theft by the insurance company?
How much of a hassle was that?

Do mention the variant and the colour too.

Thread Starter #5

Now on to the dealership and buying experience.

The sales person at the dealer (India Garage, St. Marks Road, Bangalore) was Sameer T R. Nice young chap, who was very helpful from day one. I tried to negotiate the price, freebies, accessories with both the dealer and ALD but that did not yield much. Realized that’s the case with all the buyers of XUV. Hence negotiated for early delivery with choice of color (Moondust Silver), 2013 make and tires (Bridgestone). Sameer promised to deliver the car within 2 weeks.

Started paper processing at office and ALD on Monday. Within 24 hours office formalities done (Tuesday). ALD released PO to the dealer within 48 hours (Thursday). And the dealer confirmed that the vehicle will be ready within 2 days! The pace was unbelievable.

However, I had to do the pre-registration check and PDI. I asked Sameer to hold on to registration till I confirm. Unfortunately, there was some family emergency at home hence lost 2 days. So on the following Monday I visited the showroom to carry out the checks (the dealer brought the vehicle from his yard in the outskirts to the city). Did a thorough check of the vehicle (except under chassis, for more than an hour), using the checklist available. Found everything in place and working perfectly.

Here is what I checked –

Chassis/VIN number – for 2013 manufacturing confirmation. Yippee!
1. Inspection of the body throughout, any scratches on black cladding
2. Oil and Fluid levels, battery for electrode rust, warranty card (+ve was covered with plastic, but not the –ve)
3. Door / trunk functioning, central locking, Window up/down, glove boxes
4. Seats, adjustments/folding, carpets and ceiling condition
5. Tires for its condition (am happy its bridgestone)
6. A/C functioning, including last row
7. Lots of time on console buttons functioning, the lights, indicator
8. Tried most of the features/functionality of the infotainment system (went prepared with a USB)
9. Wanted to take the car for a test drive to check any noise, but couldn't; going by other checks, I hope it to be problem free.

I should appreciate Sameer for patiently cooperating with me to carry out all my checks. Something he did not know for which he took the help of mechanic’s around.

The registration would take place on Tuesday or Wednesday; I plan to take it on Wednesday evening or Thursday, as per expert advice from wiffy and mom. That’s end to end 10 days from the time I make my mind to delivery of the car. Not bad, huh? [;)]

Will write the delivery experience as soon I take the delivery.

Need some advice please. I plan to go for reverse camera and 3d mats as an accessory; may be the LED scuff plates.
1. Is it necessary to get the electronics (camera, LED scuff plates) at M&M? Whilst it is cheaper outside, I don’t want to mess with warranty due to mediocre workmanship.
2. 3D mats are not available with India Garage hence will buy it from the market. The price quoted for ‘3D’ brand is 7K, but I believe other brands are available at ~5K.

Here are some pictures of the XUV from my visit to carry out checks. More experience sharing shall follow.

Attachments

Congrats on your new buy Manuman ! I like the Ambient lighting feature in the XUV. I guess thats the only Indian Brand which offers it

Any how please do post pics of your ride

Manuman

Congrats dude for the xuv ,[clap] have super happy miles in it and enjoy it to the fullest

Hi buddy. Congratulations for your new XUV500. I hope that this vehicle is comfortable for your needs . Have it safe and enjoy well with the beast. Have a safe drive buddy.

Re: My, Yet To Be Named, XUV5OO - Buying and Ownership Experience

Congratulations manuman.

I picked up maxpider 3D mats from Autoshop, koramangala for 5600. Evo near Indiranagar also quoted a similar price.

Congratulations on your new acquisition buddy [clap]. Looking good on Silver color.

Wishing you mile of happiness with XUV.

And regarding backup camera what's the difference between the dealer price and price that you are getting from outside? If the price difference is not much than get it from the dealer itself.

All four pics are stunning .Even mahindras have not shown the beauty of xuv from these angles so nicely. Also the tail lamp cluster looks beautiful without chrome inserts.
Congratulations for the need and reserch based decision.

Congrats Manuman! Its a great car and I have been thoroughly enjoying it. The after sales is amazing for what is out there in the market.
Happy mile crunching!

-I was told by a couple of friends who owned an XUV to fit the reverse camera and scuff plates at the dealer. So went for the same.
-There are other 3D mats available for lesser but the 7k ones have been more durable comparatively from what I have heard. I have the 3D mats as well and costed me Rs. 7,300.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15

Thank you, thank you, thank you [:)]

Missed out - Yes, it is W8 FWD. W6 was short of features I was looking; AWD is not worth the extra bucks.

@HORTON: Thanx for the reference. I will call up Autoshop and Evo. One of the local dealer quoted 7K for the 3d mats, of brand '3D'? He claims these are the original 3D mats, and the rest are copying from 3D. I care less for the brand but quality, so let me look at it.

@dharmesh: The online price for the 3D mats seems little expensive. Online prices are usually less than store prices, since there are no overhead cost. Little puzzled as to why it is higher? Is it just the brand name?

@Singh890: The dealer quoted 3.5K for reverse camera, and a vendor outside quoted Rs. 3.1K. I think I'll go with the dealer. But there is a huge price difference when it comes to LED scuff plates. Dealer is quoting 3.5K and a vendor outside is quoting almost half. I am not in a hurry to install LED scuff plates.

@Tornado: All the photos are taken using my iPhone4. I dont have a professional camera. The phone camera is very handy and by my experience, the result is very good. If you refer my 'Cars and Coffee' post, all those pictures were taken by phone!

Another question - Is side step a must? The dealer or the vendors, dont have a good side step. It looks lousy. Depending on how comfortable is mom in boarding / alighting the XUV, I will decide if I need to go. I personally think XUV looks better without side step.

Top Bottom