Since childhood I was crazy for SUVs be it Tata Sierra, Safari, Scorpio and others but had a special place for Safari in my heart and used to thought that one day I will buy this beast. It was in 2008 when I bought my first car, i.e. Wagon R Vxi. I bought a hatchback because my pocket & parents did not allow me to buy an SUV. Last year in November finally my parents agreed to upgrade Wagon R to an SUV as my family was growing. We are total 7 people in my family, so the hunt for an SUV started and I was flying on the seventh cloud. Meanwhile I was following a thread on TAI
silently since January 2012 “Tata Safari Storme Breaks Cover”. In fact I discovered TAI
because of this thread as I was searching information about the beast on Google and got this thread, I liked the thread so informative and became the member of this forum. Finally I was about to fulfill my dream by buying Storme but my brother was very much inclined towards XUV500, I was never a fan of XUV 500 but then it is the most VFM
SUV considering the features provided and once again Storme was going far away from me. Again Storme has zero features as compared to XUV and I hated the stereo system provided by Tata but I still loved this beast. Overall there were three SUVs in my budget:
1. Mahindra Scorpio (Proved SUV): Straight away rejected by my brother and wife because it’s very common and old moreover no one liked the looks.
2. XUV 500: Brother loved this Cheetah. But somehow I managed to convince him about Storme.
3. Storme: Everyone liked the beast but was skeptical, as my father has heard about problems in Safari dicor. I had to convince them that all the problems in old SUV has been taken care of (Keeping my fingers crossed)
4. Duster: Did not even try.
5. Used T-Fort / Ford’s Endavour: my brother again tried to go for used fortuner or Endeavor but my dad straight away rejected the used vehicles and told us that even if you want to buy a 26 lakh vehicle then also go for a new one. Later on me and my brother decided to limit our budget between 10 to 12 lakhs as there are other pending priorities and we did not wanted to spend too much on any car.
Overall after couple of weeks everyone was ready to go for Storme. By this time I had already taken three TDs of Storme. So on 23rd of December took my family to ABS
motors in Gurgaon, took another TD and finally booked Storme LX pearl white. I liked the black color but because of maintenance had to drop the idea of having black beast. Delivery date decided was 14th January and then the countdown began. On 14th of January I reached to my office at 8:00 AM by metro (usually I reach around 11:30) worked till 1:00 PM and took half day, reached to the showroom around 1:30 PM and saw my white beast waiting for me at the delivery area. Finished the paper works and finally took the delivery around 3:00 PM. currently getting a mileage of around 12.5 in Delhi – Gurgaon traffic.
Things I liked in the beast:
1. Looks (subjective to everyone).
2. Commanding view from inside.
3. Comfortable seating.
4. Engine power.
5. Drive quality.
Things I dislike:
1. Stereo system: I understand that because of pricing issue Tata may have decided to opt single DIN alpine system but did not understand why the hell they have not even provided the space for a double din music system so that I can myself add a nice music system. I seriously think that Tata motors are working with bunch of idiots in this section. Recently heard that even new Indica vista has a touch screen music system with built in navigation system. Did not understand the why not in Storme???
2. Steering position could be little better, I am 5’11 and every time when I enters or come out of the Storme, it touches to my legs. Though there is no issue while driving.
1. Added alloy wheels and Replaced the stock tyres to maxis bravo A/T 255 65 16. Cost 23k (including alloys)
2. Added reverse parking system (sensors + camera) cost 7k
Things pending: will add these in couple of weeks.
1. Bull bars.
2. 3D mats.
3. Seat covers: Will go for bucket fitting; have seen seat covers in PU leather worth 10k with 5 years replacement warranty.
Problems faced till now 1400 kms.
1. Noise from front doors: rectified in the first service, as of now no noise.
2. Hand brake does not work if I did not pull it completely: problem as it is even after first service. Is there anyone else facing this issue.
3. Stereo remote stopped working after one week: seems to be battery issue as workshop guy told me, did not get time to check with new battery.
Overall I am very happy with my beast, in fact people on the roads and parking area check out my beast. Till now 4 unknown people have approached to me in the parking area and have asked lots of questions about Storme. This beast is certainly an eye catcher and I am living it.