Tata Safari Storme Comes Home: Dream Fulfilled!!!

Thread Starter #1
Since childhood I was crazy for SUVs be it Tata Sierra, Safari, Scorpio and others but had a special place for Safari in my heart and used to thought that one day I will buy this beast. It was in 2008 when I bought my first car, i.e. Wagon R Vxi. I bought a hatchback because my pocket & parents did not allow me to buy an SUV. Last year in November finally my parents agreed to upgrade Wagon R to an SUV as my family was growing. We are total 7 people in my family, so the hunt for an SUV started and I was flying on the seventh cloud. Meanwhile I was following a thread on TAI silently since January 2012 “Tata Safari Storme Breaks Cover”. In fact I discovered TAI because of this thread as I was searching information about the beast on Google and got this thread, I liked the thread so informative and became the member of this forum. Finally I was about to fulfill my dream by buying Storme but my brother was very much inclined towards XUV500, I was never a fan of XUV 500 but then it is the most VFM SUV considering the features provided and once again Storme was going far away from me. Again Storme has zero features as compared to XUV and I hated the stereo system provided by Tata but I still loved this beast. Overall there were three SUVs in my budget:
1. Mahindra Scorpio (Proved SUV): Straight away rejected by my brother and wife because it’s very common and old moreover no one liked the looks.
2. XUV 500: Brother loved this Cheetah. But somehow I managed to convince him about Storme.
3. Storme: Everyone liked the beast but was skeptical, as my father has heard about problems in Safari dicor. I had to convince them that all the problems in old SUV has been taken care of (Keeping my fingers crossed)
4. Duster: Did not even try.
5. Used T-Fort / Ford’s Endavour: my brother again tried to go for used fortuner or Endeavor but my dad straight away rejected the used vehicles and told us that even if you want to buy a 26 lakh vehicle then also go for a new one. Later on me and my brother decided to limit our budget between 10 to 12 lakhs as there are other pending priorities and we did not wanted to spend too much on any car.
Overall after couple of weeks everyone was ready to go for Storme. By this time I had already taken three TDs of Storme. So on 23rd of December took my family to ABS motors in Gurgaon, took another TD and finally booked Storme LX pearl white. I liked the black color but because of maintenance had to drop the idea of having black beast. Delivery date decided was 14th January and then the countdown began. On 14th of January I reached to my office at 8:00 AM by metro (usually I reach around 11:30) worked till 1:00 PM and took half day, reached to the showroom around 1:30 PM and saw my white beast waiting for me at the delivery area. Finished the paper works and finally took the delivery around 3:00 PM. currently getting a mileage of around 12.5 in Delhi – Gurgaon traffic.

Things I liked in the beast:
1. Looks (subjective to everyone).
2. Commanding view from inside.
3. Comfortable seating.
4. Engine power.
5. Drive quality.

Things I dislike:
1. Stereo system: I understand that because of pricing issue Tata may have decided to opt single DIN alpine system but did not understand why the hell they have not even provided the space for a double din music system so that I can myself add a nice music system. I seriously think that Tata motors are working with bunch of idiots in this section. Recently heard that even new Indica vista has a touch screen music system with built in navigation system. Did not understand the why not in Storme???
2. Steering position could be little better, I am 5’11 and every time when I enters or come out of the Storme, it touches to my legs. Though there is no issue while driving.

Modifications done:
1. Added alloy wheels and Replaced the stock tyres to maxis bravo A/T 255 65 16. Cost 23k (including alloys)
2. Added reverse parking system (sensors + camera) cost 7k
Things pending: will add these in couple of weeks.
1. Bull bars.
2. 3D mats.
3. Seat covers: Will go for bucket fitting; have seen seat covers in PU leather worth 10k with 5 years replacement warranty.

Problems faced till now 1400 kms.
1. Noise from front doors: rectified in the first service, as of now no noise.
2. Hand brake does not work if I did not pull it completely: problem as it is even after first service. Is there anyone else facing this issue.
3. Stereo remote stopped working after one week: seems to be battery issue as workshop guy told me, did not get time to check with new battery.

Overall I am very happy with my beast, in fact people on the roads and parking area check out my beast. Till now 4 unknown people have approached to me in the parking area and have asked lots of questions about Storme. This beast is certainly an eye catcher and I am living it.

Re: Tata Safari Storme came home: Dream Fulfilled!!!

Good one Mukesh. Honest write up hd fairly detailed reasons to buy. I am sure you have bought the best beast available in the market hd nothing will let you down. Post some pics of the beast please as well as of any mods that you have done on the car. Wish you many miles ahead!!

mukesh, congrats.

DO you really want bull bars?? Look at the image below, from TOP GEAR INDIA.

xx.jpg

Doesnt look good on Storme.

Thread Starter #4

Resting at home.
20130116_101104.jpg
20130116_101116.jpg

My beast with it's old shoes.
With old shoes.jpg

Rear view, Till date the security guard at my office don't know how to open this door [lol]
20130205_102120.jpg

Inner View.
20130205_102200.jpg

yes the steering does touches my thighs, the position could have been better.
20130205_102930.jpg

So one more Storme on the forum. Congratulations. I can unserstand how it feels to have realized a childhood dream. What brand are your alloys? Its difficult to get hold of Maxxis tyres. Do you mind sharing the cost of alloys and tyres separately? Did the alloy dealer buyback your original wheel rims? Is 23k the cost of 4 alloys+4 tires or otherwise? Also, please post lots of pictures - as things stand we dont get to see many Stormes floating aroung on the roads.

All the best and keep us updated!

Nice pics and nice review. Storme reviews raining in TAI. Congratz on your beast man. I wish you all the best and thousands of happy miles with your beast.

Thread Starter #8
So one more Storme on the forum. Congratulations. I can unserstand how it feels to have realized a childhood dream. What brand are your alloys? Its difficult to get hold of Maxxis tyres. Do you mind sharing the cost of alloys and tyres separately? Did the alloy dealer buyback your original wheel rims? Is 23k the cost of 4 alloys+4 tires or otherwise? Also, please post lots of pictures - as things stand we dont get to see many Stormes floating aroung on the roads.

All the best and keep us updated!

Hey Sam,

What brand are your alloys?
Ans: Prestige Design.

Its difficult to get hold of Maxxis tyres. Do you mind sharing the cost of alloys and tyres separately?
Ans: Tyres cost 8K per piece.
Alloys cost 17K for four piece.

Did the alloy dealer buyback your original wheel rims?
Ans: Yes, the dealer bought the factory fitted tyres 6.5K per tyres and rims also.

Is 23k the cost of 4 alloys+4 tires or otherwise?
Ans: 23k includes both Tyres and Alloys.
Breakup: 17K for alloys
6K (1.5k per tyre) for 4 tyres.
original cost of maxis is 8 K less 1.5 K for my stock tyre.

Nice pics and nice review. Storme reviews raining in TAI. Congratz on your beast man. I wish you all the best and thousands of happy miles with your beast.
Thanks a lot Dharmesh.

mukesh, congrats.

DO you really want bull bars?? Look at the image below, from TOP GEAR INDIA.

View attachment 80815

Doesnt look good on Storme.
Thanks Navnit, i myself did not find any good looking bull bars for my beast, i will wait for some time to see any good looking bull bars for my storme. Have see couple of stormes with bull bars but none appealed me. I might drop the idea of installing these.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks Navnit, i myself did not find any good looking bull bars for my beast, i will wait for some time to see any good looking bull bars for my storme. Have see couple of stormes with bull bars but none appealed me. I might drop the idea of installing these.
If the idea behing the bull bar is to mount the fog lamps, then you can try this-

xy.jpg

A mounting bracket is bolted to the numberplate slot, on which the fog lamps are fixed.

IMAGE: TAHNX TO GOOGLE.

@mukesh: Only Rs. 1.5k each for your Duelers!!!??? Thats daylight robbery. How much mileage did they have on them?

I was offered 1.7k for each of my lousy new185/70 R14 JK Vectras FOUR years back. The Duelers could surely do better than that.

Anywas, your alloys and Maxxis look good. SUVs, at the end of the day, are about Tashan and its good to see your Storme kitted out like this.

So when are you travelling to Leh? This May?

Last edited:
2. Steering position could be little better, I am 5’11 and every time when I enters or come out of the Storme, it touches to my legs. Though there is no issue while driving.
Yes even though it is not a problem while driving, but it could have been on little upper side.

2. Hand brake does not work if I did not pull it completely: problem as it is even after first service. Is there anyone else facing this issue.
How come this kind of thing happens, at times it is dangerous for a such big vehicle having some 2000kg weight and if hand brake doesn't work, take up this seriously with them.

3. Stereo remote stopped working after one week: seems to be battery issue as workshop guy told me, did not get time to check with new battery.
This is nonsense, TATA what are you doing, already there is a bad impression about ICE set up with that single din and more to it, the remote doesn't work, this is real negligence I feel, this is where TATAs have to improve to get into every detail like the remote has new or old battery whether it is working or not

Anyway Congratulations on your white beast man, it is really awesome driving it and hope you will much more miles without any niggles[:)], Thank you for the pics too and I look forward to see more more clear resolution pics in future and keep updating this thread regularly

@mukesh: Only Rs. 1.5k each for your Duelers!!!??? Thats daylight robbery. How much mileage did they have on them?

I was offered 1.7k for each of my lousy new185/70 R14 JK Vectras FOUR years back. The Duelers could surely do better than that.

Anywas, your alloys and Maxxis look good. SUVs, at the end of the day, are about Tashan and its good to see your Storme kitted out like this.

So when are you travelling to Leh? This May?
I think so he is saying 6.5K for each tyre and what he adh to pay is 1.5k Per each, that comes total to 6K for 4 plus 17k for alloys and total comes out to be 23K.

Looks like TAI is Stormed! Congratulations for your Hurricane! I am looking forward to pictures in some nice picturesque environment. Please share the specifications of alloys and tyres, Did'nt you considered Continentals or Yokos? or even Michelins which offer superB comfort? Yokos are somewhere around 7.2K per tyre for Safari DICOR.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15
thanks a lot friends, am enjoying my driving with this beast. Believe me it's fun to drive such a big vehicle in Delhi - Gurgaon traffic (in peak hours) [clap]. I felt some usability issues in Storme:

1. The position of power window buttons is not good, should have been a little bit forward, right now i have to pull my hand back in order to press the buttons.
2. Tata should have provided a door handle on the rear door as well.

Top Bottom