Recent drives / updates.
A few gifts on 4th Birthday to the Peppy Pot
- Blaupunkt BP 2.0 FHD Digital Video Recorder
- Capdase CA00-7B02 USB Car Charger Quartet Boosta Z4-White
- Strontium Nitro 32GB msDc for the Dash cam
40k kms completed with a day tip drive to Matheran. Steep twisty broken tarmac, but up she went without any fuss.
And then, the longer drives in the following weeks, to visit our folks for Eid / Onam, Pune - Calicut - Pune (approx 2200kms in total) covered in 20 hours up, and 24 hours down (due to different route opted). Open highways, Forest roads, Broken tarmac, horrible traffic, Hilly roads, narrow Ghat roads, whatever came in its way, she went Pepping as usual. Pune - Calicut
Left Pune around 8am on 10/09, reached hometown at 4am of 11/09, with around 3 hours of break in total, the route taken as follows,
1) Pune - Hubli (NH4 / AH47) --- Excellent highways [435kms in total ; arrival time 2:30pm, 1 hour break]
2) Hubli - Ankola (NH52) --- Well maintained two laned NH with minimal traffic, a few kms of broken Tarmac [120kms ; arrival time 5:30pm, 30mins break]
3) Ankola - Mangalore (NH66) --- Due to ongoing 4 lane work upto Kundapura leading to drive in the maze finding the roads, and heavy traffic, the drive was hectic, which made myself and HM rethink on our return route. Kundapura to Mangalore was however a breeze, finally with the 4 lane work completed after years of dragging. [240kms ; arrival time 10:30pm, 1 hour break]
4) Mangalore - Calicut (NH66) --- two laned NH, touchwood, the roads are in good condition. I decided to continue our journey and cover the remaining distance at night, as the traffic would be lesser, compared to day time. And yes, it did pay back, we were able to cover it in 5 hours, which could have easily gone upto 8 / 9 hours had we stayed at Mangalore and driven in day time. Mahe - Calicut traffic density was on higher side, and we were surprised to see the amount of vehicles on road at 3am
. Towards the end of the journey, the recent lesser night travel had started to creep in, but the passion to drive kept me going. [250kms ; arrival time 4am, 30mins break] Calicut - Pune
1) Calicut - Hubli (NH-66) --- [17/09 - 8am to 3:30pm, 300kms, 45mins break]
2) Hubli - Shimoga (via Kudhremukh range, Sringeri, Koppa, Thirathahalli, Shimoga) --- New unknown route, new unknown destination, excitement, Map my India ; we must have ended up taking the longer route and thinking a number of times that the route is going round and round, the "n" number of times seeing milestones of towns crossed by us again and again, the untouched serene narrows ghats of Kudhremukh range
, small towns enroute which still has the charm in modern era, Tunga river under the moonlight and the surrounding landscape
which made us say "WoW" in awe, we reached Shimoga and called it a day.
[approx 235kms, mostly Hilly winding roads, and the serene Ghat section ; arrival time 8:30pm ; Royal Orchid Central in Shimoga our home for the night]
3) Shimoga - Pune (via Harihar and AH47) --- we started around 11am, after lazing around in the morning at the hotel with the good Breakfast spread, tummy full, road till Harihar is undergoing widening, and hence, the tarmacs were missing for most of the journey.
We crossed Hubli around 2:30pm, Kolhapur around 6pm, Satara 8:30pm, touched down Pune at 10:45pm. The route from Satara to Kokhapur, as usual being the most tiresome with ongoing never ending NH road work, intermediate drizzles, heavy traffic density.
Just 35kms away from Pune, in pitch dark area of NH widening work, close to Kamat hotel, hit a ditch and i parked to check the damage. Luckily, air was intact,no tyre damage, though the rim got bent.
Incidentally, a Santro Xing was already checking their damage after hitting the same ditch. (Hope NHAI reads this and takes initiative to complete the never ending saga ASAP
Kuddos to Michelin XM2, saved the hit to a lot of extent. Similar kind of hit in the jungles of Belgaum, with MRF in the early days of ownership landed myself with an immediate flat and a side wall cut.
FE achieved, well, its been a mixed bag, ranging from 16-18kmpl, but more importantly, excellent drives in September and a happy content Driver and HM who sat beside me enjoying the drives, and bearing all my crankiness on Highway driving ethics.
ODO now reads a couple of hundreds short of 43k kms, taking the beating of Pune city, until the next trip is planned (Aurangabad / Gujarat ??)