Mahindra Quanto Buying and Owning Experience

Thread Starter #1
Hello Friends,

My name is Amit & I would like to share my experience buying and owning Mahindra Quanto. I will try to keep my post as short and precise as possible.
Would appreciate your feedback and suggestions.

BUYING -

After a lot of research on all possible vehicle my pocket could afford, I decided to go with Mahindra Quanto C8. It was packed with all safety features and styling that any other brand provided at a substantially higher price.
I visited India Garage(IG) - palace rd, Bangalore and test drove the vehicle twice in Oct 2012.
Initially I was pushed back by the one of the IG finance executive stating that since i had recently returned from abroad after a long stay there, I did not qualify for the loan... That was utter non-sense which I felt was useless to even spend time arguing. Hence, I approached SBI not very far my home. They instantly approved to grant me the required loan provided I could submit the booking details - proforma, etc.
Meanwhile, I booked a black quanto c8 at IG early Nov 2012. I was promised to get the delivery within 2 months.
The whole Nov passed by.. I received zero calls from IG. By mid Dec I was extremely anxious to know what was happening. I called IG several times, but all in vain. Finally 3rd week of Dec I visited IG personally with my father and demanded to meet the senior most executive form IG. One of their senior most sales head met us and assured that I could have the vehicle delivered in less than 1 week, but may have to compromise on the color. He said they have received only 2 orders of black so far and Mahindra unfortunately has not manufactured enough blacks to have them delivered to Bangalore. He offered us to visit their stockyard and pick any other color that was available from the ones on which bookings were cancelled. I was not pleased to pick up cars that were rejected by others - who knows they might have figured something wrong in it... or it could also be a genuine rejection... but i was not willing to try that option. Fortunately, a semi-truck loaded with 20 quantos arrived before us from Nashik and they begun unloading them. Unfortunately it had zero blacks in em, anyways we found one brown C8 and were impressed by the color..Looked pretty different from the usual black or whites. We checked the status on that and immediately booked it. Meanwhile, the senior executive who was assisting us inquired about our finance status. I sang the whole story and he was astonished to know they carried such insane staff. After an apology, he ordered another finance executive to assist us and said she would ensure to have the loan formalities to be completed in sonic speed.
It took about a week for IG to finally allot that car to me - ensuring all the bank formalities, registration etc included.
All I can say is... it was pointless for me to wait for over a month... IG staff needs to be proactive from the beginning if they need to build a solid customer based who would appreciate their service...
I would like to honestly thank the senior executive and one finance lady who assisted me a lot.. .
Also cannot believe that Mahindra would not manufacture a specific colour unless they receive a substantial number of orders...

OWNING a QUANTO -
Its been just over a month and I have driven about 3500 Kms, spent about 12K worth of diesel... the vehicle has been providing me an average of 16kmpl - avg of both city(min - 10kmpl) and highway(max - 25 to 30kmpl). I did have couple issues during the first week of owning the vehicle. As usual I found lethargic attitude of IG service center guys to fix them, Finally I had to make my voice heard via Mahindra customer service. They sent one very knowledgeable person to my residence who carried the car to the service center and fixed most of the issues
Good points -
1. Good mileage
2. Decent Power
3. Handles bad roads well
4. Good headlights
5. Large windows - feels very spacious
6. Lots of leg room- both front and rear
7. Good speakers
Bad Points -
1. Horn Sucks - u have to put your whole body weight to make it honk
2. Body roll and slightly bumpy on bad roads
3. Huge windscreen and large windows let too much sunlight inside causes the cabin to heat excessively on sunny day rides
4. The AC is not powerful enough, they should have added a rear AC vent considering the size of the car. They should have also added in cabin filter as well.
5. The dashboard color should have been black - lighter shades causes a lot of reflection and glare in the windscreen and is very annoying in day drives... I wonder why Indian car manufacturers don't understand the importance of black dash..
6. Should have added wider tires - 215 to 220 at least. Or at least larger ones - 16".
7. The fuel tank inlet pipe/hose is awkwardly designed. I have filled diesel at at least 15 different fuel stations so far, but none are able to lock the hose faucet... they all complain that the inlet hose is curved and does not let their faucets enter deep inside. Due to this its never been possible for me to fill full tank, because you'd never know when the tank is full.
8. Panel gaps are too large... causes a lot of dust and dirt to seep in corners and crevices.
9. Sound insulation could have been better- under seat carpets are loosely stapled... not insulating the base effectively.
10. Mid row seats should be more ergonomically designed and should be able to split 60:40
11. Rear baby seats are unwanted crap.

Well, so far this is all I have to say about the vehicle, the buying and owing experience. Though I'm pretty happy with the vehicle, I feel - 1st Mahindra needs to put some additional creative thoughts while designing a product... If they can own Jaguars - know for precise engineering and outstanding luxury, then they must use some basics of those in designing low buget vehicles too.. .For instance panel gaps, seat colors, padding in the seats, carpet finsih, etc. Small little things that may not cost a dime more, but just some creative thought and quality engineering. 2ndly IG needs to take a major step in understanding their fall backs and work sensibly to earn customer respect and loyalty.

Regards,
Amit A

First congrats for your quanto.
Second let me clarify mahindra do not own the jaguars. Its the tatas who own them.

Apart from that i agree with your observations of the middle row.

Hello awasare2002,
First of all I would like to congratulate for your new Quanta.
What superbad says is correct that, Tata owns Jaguars.

Congrats Amit for the practical and spacious mini SUV quanto .

Hope you will update the thread very often which can in return help other prospective buyers for quanto with real world experience of the car .

And do you know its a crime here if you don't post pics of your car [;)] iam joking ok .

Please post some pics of your ride will be eagerly waiting for it .

Hi,

I first of all appreitiate for the honest preview and experence you have posted.

I need another honest opinion, will you suggest anyone in this community to go for Quanto?

And something more if Tata Owns jaguar or M&M i don't frankly feel any difference as both are launching flops even after they have a bag full of technology.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
Thank you all for correcting me. I know Tata owns the Jaguars, realised it after i had already posted the thread. Anyways, my point was, both these companies - Mahindra and Tata are authentic indian companies and are into some major international ventures. With that said they should implement some basic design strategies too.. Simple things like using a decent color like Grey or Black for the seats and Dash does not cost any extra money.
I would recommend Quanto to all only based on the price Manindra is offering. I paid 9.2lacs on road for C8.
I will upload some pics soon.
Can somebody suggest a good shop in Bangalore where i can buy seat covers with additional cushioning? The mid-row seats are too upright and firm.

here are 2 pics of my quanto c8 at the dealers stockyard right after they unloaded it from the truck

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi awasare2002,

Welcome to The Automotive India.

Good to see yet another Quanto onboard. This car is definitely a gem. I know it is yet to prove its long term reliability but what makes it stand apart is its pricing, utility and a go any anywhere attitude. This car has already made me its fan though i wish M&M had worked on the design part a bit more.

EDIT: awasare2002, please avoid use of excessive dots, it reduces the viewing please[:)].

i have seen many quantos on road in mumbai.

pretty sure the price is an important attraction for consumers and with no decent option at the price point M & M is cashing on it despite some pitfalls in the product.

the overall package is tempting though. [thumbsup]

Congo on your Quanto Amit.Quanto is an excellent Compact SUV and VFM when compared it to competitors.We are also going to buy a Quanto in some days replacing our Swift Diesel 2010,which is almost 3 years(completing on this Friday) and done more than 77K Km.And,BTW,Java Brown looks cool on your Quanto.

Congo on your Quanto Amit.Quanto is an excellent Compact SUV and VFM when compared it to competitors.We are also going to buy a Quanto in some days replacing our Swift Diesel 2010,which is almost 3 years(completing on this Friday) and done more than 77K Km.And,BTW,Java Brown looks cool on your Quanto.
Abhinav, swift to quanto? why not Ertiga 9.25 Vdi or 8.75 Ldi(Kerala price)

Please Excuse i know it is the Quanto we are discussing!

Hey awasare2002, COngratzz on buying new Quanto. I liked the vehicle for what it provides at that price range.

Agree to you, pressing horn requires you to put your entire body weight on it. [lol].

Also I felt that clutch has bit rubbery feeling, when I TD it.

25 - 20 KMPL on highway [surprise]. That's really good FE figures you are getting. What are the speeds that you maintain on highway?

Thread Starter #14
Hi Dharmesh,

I never drove above 85 KMPH, I was advised by the dealer not to exceed 80 for the first 5000 Km.

Regards,
Amit

Hey awasare2002, COngratzz on buying new Quanto. I liked the vehicle for what it provides at that price range.

Agree to you, pressing horn requires you to put your entire body weight on it. [lol].

Also I felt that clutch has bit rubbery feeling, when I TD it.

25 - 20 KMPL on highway [surprise]. That's really good FE figures you are getting. What are the speeds that you maintain on highway?

Thread Starter #15
Thank you ... My father chose the Java Brown color... Initially i did not like it much, but now i fee lit looks great... much different from the usual black or white or silver shades.
Swift is good... but i would agree that Quanto is better in terms of handling bad roads and pot holes.. Much rugged compared to Swift or any sedan or hatchback cars

Top Bottom