1993 Subaru Liberty - Re-Build & Serious Modifications

Thread Starter #1
Background: I'm back again after a decent break, recently I've purchased another car to keep me busy. This will be a pretty serious racing-track oriented car whilst still being able to drive it daily to college/university.

Cars considered: Basically none other than this. I was after a first generation liberty as I've had one before and from personal experience after having driven a variety of cars, they kept me hooked. Who can look past Subarus' rally heritage anyway [;)]

Aim: Initial purchase plans were to try and find something with a straight body, but needing work in the engine compartment. As stated earlier, my plan is to extract more power from this car.

Information:
  • Make: Subaru
  • Model: Liberty/Legacy
  • Year: 1993
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Engine: 2.2L Horizontal boxer engine
  • Technical info: 100kw @ 6000 rpm
    189nm @ 4800 rpm

Plan: Original plan was to remove the engine and upgrade cams on either sides with new valves, along with bored cylinders and bigger pistons. I was after an easily achievable 125kw output from this car.

But after a few weeks of research and budgeting, that plan went out the window. It was going to cost me way more than what I could afford to get all the good gear to do it the right way, so I went for the cheaper yet powerful alternative to find myself a bigger engine block.

Also I wanted to replace the automatic transmission that came with the car with a manual box, I prefer control over comfort with this car.

I'll post pictures of it that I have till now, please excuse as they're not uploaded onto TAI. I'll do that at a later date when I can find all my originals of them.

If you have any question what I'm doing and how I'm doing I'll be more than happy to help how ever.

Cheers.

Pictures:

img0312cm.jpg

Stripped interior

img0322l.jpg

Started disassembly for easy access

img0382gb.jpg

rusty bits

IMG_0406.jpg

I bought another car that has been involved in an accident so that I could use parts off it as experiments. Picked it up for dirt cheap.

img0606nc.jpg

img0660w.jpg

img0672ub.jpg

Then after a lot of effort and a bit of help from the old man, I got the engine out of the car and gave it a good clean with a pressure washer

Rear main seal and oil separator leaking

img0779vg.jpg

engine cleaned

img0804sc.jpg

Took the opportunity of an empty engine bay to clean years worth or road grime and oil leaks

before

img0776yq.jpg

after

img0838sj.jpg

Couple of days after, started on a mission to remove the automatic transmission. Started around 5:30 PM in the afternoon and finished at 3:30 AM next morning! I pulled the engine out much quicker than that...

img0868uu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can get your car.
What about that blue car ?
I can see the vehicle from which your taking parts.
So please make me clear about the above three cars.
Nice work of removing your automatic transmission to manual but why?

Thread Starter #3
My car is the brown/charcoal one.
Parts car is white in colour and missing a few panels
Green car is Mums, I used that to tow my parts car.

For a minute there, I thought you got the Holden for dirt cheap. I was wondering what the accident was because the car looked perfect to me. Then I realised that that was not the car you got [:D]
Love the Subaru. My neighbour in Muscat had the exact same car though it was an olive green colour if my memory serves me right. I loved the windows without the frame. Infact, I was just thinking about it today morning and here I stumble upon your thread.
Congratulations on the car. Hope you mod the hell out of it.

Thread Starter #10
Yeah man vauxalls and holdens are the same. It looks beautiful [clap]
Sure is mate, but we're about to sell it replace it with a SUV.
bro, its like seeing chop shop program in discovery turbo! good work. keep it up !
Thanks dude!
Subscribed and glued to this thread !
I'll try not to disappoint mate, thanks.
For a minute there, I thought you got the Holden for dirt cheap. I was wondering what the accident was because the car looked perfect to me. Then I realised that that was not the car you got [:D]
Love the Subaru. My neighbour in Muscat had the exact same car though it was an olive green colour if my memory serves me right. I loved the windows without the frame. Infact, I was just thinking about it today morning and here I stumble upon your thread.
Congratulations on the car. Hope you mod the hell out of it.
Haha I probably should've mentioned all of them properly, thanks mate.
Yes, I'm a massive fan of sill less doors myself, but the neighbours car you pointed out must have been resprayed cause subaru never made them in olive green.

Top Bottom