Tata Nano CX: What Made Me Choose this Car?

Thread Starter #1
Hi all,

Im Om, a newly joined member of TAI - The Automotive India.

I am starting this New thread to post informations & do discussions about the new TATA NANO CX 2012 car (Have booked & which will be delivered in few days...)

Ok, So what made me buy this Cute Little car ???

- Is it the Investement factor (or)
- Is it the running cost factor (or)
- Is it the Performance factor (or)
- Is it the Technical factors (or)
- Is it the Design / Appearance factor ???

Well I would say , its the overall package which made me took the decision to buy a Nanooooo.

The Requirement:

We wanted to buy a hatchback to my sister.

Factors to be satisfied by the car:

1.Running cost should not be high

2.Overall ownership cost should be low

Options that was in mind:

1.Tata Nano CX - On road price 205000 Rs ( Tamilnadu Registration)

2.Maruti 800 A/C- On road Price 265000 Rs

3.Chevy Beat Diesel - PS (for its low diesel running cost) - On road price 5,36,000 Lakhs Rs Approx

The options was shortlisted with only one main criteria - The running cost should be low (Since the daily usage of the car is expected to be any where around 30 - 50KM on a working day), Thats the reason other Petrol models like i10 / santro / spark was not shortlisted.

Pros / Cons - Model wise:

First let we discuss about Chevy Beat PS Diesel:

Pros:

1.Diesel Engine - Can return easily 25 KMPL as claimed by the manufacture, if driven carefully on a highway.

(At this time i wanted to share a wonderfull info, Me and My friend tested his new Swift LDi (the year was 2011) for ascertaining its best possible mileage.

The SWIFT LDi returned an unbeliveable mileage of 35 KMPL on our test run of 200KM (without A/C) we can discuss the details of it later)

2.Good all round small car

Cons:

Chevy spares / service cost

Second comes the humble Maruti 800 A/c

Pros:

1.Reliability - the car has stood the test of time

2.Maruti - Service / spare low cost guarenteed

3.Can also be used on highways / long trips , though will not satisfy a spritted driver!

Cons:

1.Biggest con is A/C, have seen many who replaced their old 800s only because of this reason.

2. Space - literally is a cramped car, interior space in this car is considered a big luxuary.

Finally the Nano CX model:

Pros:

1.First big + is for the spacious interiors, Im a 6.2 still i some how feel the driving position & interior space utilisation of a nano is better than my Palio 1.6 GTX (The later being almost 3 folds higher in power @ 100BHP when compared to 35bhp of the nano)

2.A/C - It super cools the small cabin effectively, i would say its on par with any other hatchbacks that you can buy around.

3.Daily Running cost : On a highway run with the claimed 25 KMPL mileage(i believe which can be easily achived if driven accordingly), the running cost works out to Rs 2.8 Per KM.

4.Price - Almost 60,000 savings in cash outflow by comparing with a 800

5.Cute adorable styling (Though the car is designed by keeping low costs in made, we have to uppreciate the styling delivered by the TATAs)

6.TATA service package : 4 years / 60,000 KM warranty.

7.Proudly Indian Design & Make.

Cons:

1. A LOT of small niggling issues one will encounter during the cars lifetime.

(i would suggest one should not take niggling issues seriously , buy a nano drive it till your EMI is setelled , sell it buy another car[roll])

2. Breakes ! Thank god atleast there are drum breakes on all 4 wheels (just Joking). The breakes are low for speed beyond 65KMPH speeds.

3.Bumpy ride quality

4.Engine - Depends on your perception towards it, i feel the engine could be considered as a cons, if at all you always wanted to drive at speeds exceeding 100KMPH otherwise ignore it.

5.Hard steering at Zero speed (while parking)

6.Clutch - Very weak , i found some shaking rattling when releasing the 1st gear release in the test drive vehicle. what im trying to tell is that clutch was not as smooth as in marutis.

7.Perception towards the car, i will blame the indian media for portraying this wonderfull car as "cheap car" "1 lakh car" "peoples car" "two wheeler replacement" "budget car" which created a Relatevely LOW RATING in the mind of a the average person.

THE DECISION:

As you know its nano CX model (Silver colour)

Logic behind the decision:

1. Beat diesel promised a running cost of Rs 2 per KM (Considering a Mileage of 25 KM and diesel price @ Rs 50 per litre). But there are other factors need to be considered which will indirectly add up the day to day cost of the vehicle.

Like:

Theory 1:Initial Increase in cost of vehicle, the Beat diesel is Rs.3,31,000 higher than a nano CX. The yearly interest cost saving by opting for nano stands at Rs36,410 (@11%). which translates to 13,000 kilometer which i can use nano to roam around with just the money i saved. [clap]
Theory 2: Fuel cost per kilometer of Beat Diesel is 2 Rs VS 2.8 Rs of the nano, that is - running a nano is 80 paise costly for every kilometer (or else) Beat running cost is lesser by 80 paise per KM, But hold on we are having the 36,410 Rs we saved opting for a nano so.

The Beat Diesel should be driven 45500 KM with in a year (ie. 36410Rs / .80 Rs) to get a break even. Otherwise - if u are driving any KM less than 45500 in a year, buy a Nano (on Comparison with beat diesel)

So Beat Diesel was out of the list..

Note: i have not considered other aspects like comfort / reliability / image etc, only the ownership cost & and cash outflow was considered.

2.maruti 800, to be honest i would have certainly setelled for 800, though its 60K excess than nano CX (i just love the maruti reliability & service - Just best in the country).

But it is this one factor which made me reject it...[anger], The 800 will not return more than 20 KMPL (at the max, avg is only 18KMPL). which works out to 3.5 Rs per kilometer.

On comparison to Nano CX, its running cost is Rs 2.8 per kilometer. Not to say the interest savings @ 6600 (on the initial cost 60k saved, interest @ 11%) which translates to 2350 KM free running in the nano

So 800 was out of the list.

Note: Maruti 800 is still the most advisable small car, if your requirement is to drive only during the week ends & not on a daily basis, i would suggest go for 800 instead of nano.

Finally the winner is NANO CX :

why not other models in nano like the base version / LX (higher version):

Answer : Guys im planning to drive with 95% A/c . so do i really need an electric motor to drop the window down (which i will be doing only when cleaninig the car)

30,000 extra for LX - well most of the major option which comes in LX are available as an extra fitting(except for a few minor lists). so why waste money on LX.

Some Fittings i really need:

1. Body coloured bumpers..man the car will really suck in that big black bumpers.. so it need to be painted ( planning to do it outside the service centre)

2.Cental locking with remote : But confused since the warranty says any extra fittings will void the warranty. Pros Please help me on this,Give me your advice..

Thanks & Regards
Om..

Nano Users out there please give me ur user review, mainly about any niggling issues you faced & the rectification for it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: NANO CX - What made me choose this car ???

Wow. Detailed explanation given. you have proved that Nano is cheaper than a Diesel Beat which gives 25 Km to a liter of diesel.

nano Rocks.

Thread Starter #3

Hoo ya.

Though Nano is a petrol mill, its still Cheaper to run than DIESEL CARS. Mainly due to savings in initial cost out flow.

Thats how you need to compare - Professional View Dude.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Tata Nano CX - What Made Me Choose This Car?

Nano Users out there please give me ur user review, mainly about any niggling issues you faced & the rectification for it...
Congrats on your new car. The car is quite worth the price.

Brought mine in FEB 2012. Its an LX trim. 8000 kms covered yet. Never faced any issue from the engine. Done a lot of long trips & kept the engine in 80-100 speeds constantly for 200 kms & yet no signs of complaint from the engine. [clap] But do keep in mind that this is not one of the most comfortable cars around for long distance driving. I would suggest to get some good cushioned seat covers.

Sometimes the reverse gear doesnt engage properly & gives a "krrr" sound. But thats just for one or two seconds.

Thread Starter #5

Thanks MK,

Very mush satisfied by your cars performance, happy to hear about your Nano.

Also i feel Tatas have addressed most of the niggling issues faced by the 1st generation Nano, the 2ed generation "Nano 2012" models are much refined i guess.

(So as the increase in price - nano is no longer a lakh rupee car, it has matured to a proper mini car [:)])

Last edited:

Thanks MK,

Very mush satisfied by your cars performance, happy to hear about your Nano.

Also i feel Tatas have addressed most of the niggling issues faced by the 1st generation Nano, the 2ed generation "Nano 2012" models are much refined i guess.

(So as the increase in price - nano is no longer a lakh rupee car, it has matured to a proper mini car [:)])
Yes they did. Tata does take the user input into consideration before launching its next iteration of models which has been proved by its launch of vista & nano. [:)]

Though it has increased its cost, it still remains one of the most affordable cars out there. I was actually dumbstruck when my friends asked me why i didnt go for alto & i do feel irritated when they say the car is inferior. They just believe in going by "word of mouth" advice rather than assessing their needs & making a decision accordingly. But ultimately its me who spends the money on my car.

Anyways am going to attempt another long drive today. Will be doing a BLR-HYD-BLR trip today which is nearly 600km one way. [:D]

Thread Starter #7

Yes they did. Tata does take the user input into consideration before launching its next iteration of models which has been proved by its launch of vista & nano.

Though it has increased its cost, it still remains one of the most affordable cars out there. I was actually dumbstruck when my friends asked me why i didnt go for alto & i do feel irritated when they say the car is inferior. They just believe in going by "word of mouth" advice rather than assessing their needs & making a decision accordingly. But ultimately its me who spends the money on my car.

Anyways am going to attempt another long drive today. Will be doing a BLR-HYD-BLR trip today which is nearly 600km one way. [:D]
WOW MK[clap] A splendid intercity road trip for the weekend, i wish you for a memorable experience and safe journey.

Will be waiting for your update on the trip, i wanna know the fuel consumption for the trip.

Im sure the car will take it all with a smile[:)]

Hoo ya.

Though Nano is a petrol mill, its still Cheaper to run than DIESEL CARS. Mainly due to savings in initial cost out flow.

Thats how you need to compare - Professional View Dude.
The comparison were never near BeatD,
You compared with 800 and settled with nano as it costs 60000k less than 800(which you really loved to own).
Sometimes TATA wins the battle like this with their low pricing.

Om, Congratulations! As a Tata car owner I can tell you that this is the best decision you have made. Also Tata Nano is today the most value for money car in India or probably in the whole world. To add to it, the car is super economical to drive at current petrol prices "free market" & not at subsidized prices (like diesel) which is temporary! if you would have paid 3.5 lakh more for a small diesel hatchback which would again carry the same 5 passengers it would have taken 10+ years to break even on the extra cost with the new diesel fuel pricing. Thats a huge saving of 3.5 lakhs which can be used to buy two more nanos if there is a need[:)] so again its a very wise decision! Do post your experiences!

Strangely masses in India who are used to two wheelers still fail to understand what a great alternative they have in Nano today by paying few tens of thousands more in terms of comfort, safety, utility & on overall relaxed & safe feeling of being balanced on 4 wheels as opposed to balancing on two wheels and having to use your legs at every traffic light! People used to two wheelers give lame reasons like I can move faster by squeezing through other vehicles in a traffic jam and ride on pavements/footpaths which is illegal & just shameless behaviour of twowheeler riders if you ask me!

I am confused ..[confused] Isn't that true for any product whether its a bar of soap or a car? its always competitive pricing & value for money goods - right?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10

You compared with 800 and settled with nano as it costs 60000k less than 800(which you really loved to own).
Hi Alex,

You are right TATAs always been delivering value for money products. From the Legendary Sierra , Sumo , Indica , Manza to Nano.

Though I love 800 for its reliability still, i choosed nano mainly for is Low Running Cost.

Even though its a petrol mill, the engines consumes less fuel because of its twin cylinder design. Which puts the nano's running cost per kilo meter marginally higher than a diesel car.

TATA utilised the common man's dream to own a car by making a three wheeler engine, as it is cheaper than that of a real car engine and launched nano on cheaper price. thats what i think is the truth.
There is no other product with the same spec to be compared of.
Suzuki 800 is a real car proved for more than 15 years and it can be considered as the father of modern cars in india.

Thread Starter #12

so again its a very wise decision! Do post your experiences!
Thanks,

Planned to get nano delivered by next week,

Sure i will post a detailed observations regarding to the cars performance, Pros & Cons, also lots of pics of the new car.

As mentioned earlier i am also planning to do a mileage testing run to ascertain the cars best possible mileage.

This test will be done by driving at a constant speed without any hard acceleration / unnecessary braking,at the lowest possible speed in the top gear of the car. In a nano i guess the speed will be around 50 - 55 KMPH.

[:)]

TATA utilised the common man's dream to own a car by making a three wheeler engine, as it is cheaper than that of a real car engine and launched nano on cheaper price. thats what i think is the truth.
There is no other product with the same spec to be compared of.
Suzuki 800 is a real car proved for more than 15 years and it can be considered as the father of modern cars in india.
As far as my knowledge goes Nano has 4 wheels & it is very much a car! coming to the engine (whether you call it a 2 or 3 wheeler engine), it still has the power enough to carry 4/5 passengers at good speeds. The great thing is it is supersmooth & does not make anywhere close to the noise of the infamous 3 wheeler the auto rickshaw! But again is as economical & compact but super good looking as well in comparision!

Also when you say >>There is no other product with the same spec to be compared of.<< you have to understand the genius & achievement of the whole team which literally invented such a machine which never existed or exists in the past in the world without compromising any of the basics of a car! & They keep improving the specs/features! That is too huge an achievement to ignore or not appreciate! or belittle!

Its more like TATA realised(& utilised) the common man's dream to own a car! So what's wrong about that?

& it is priced 2/3rd the price of suzuki 800! beat that! As fuel prices & space issues become more & more an issue in metros Nano has the potential to be in the top 5 selling cars in India if the middle class realises its worth!

Last edited:

I will consider nano as a four wheeler if you say so but not a car.
And the car segments starts after this four wheeler.
Heard that M&M going to launch a 600cc four wheeler soon lets wait for that to get compared.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15

Rightly said "IndicaDLS2002"

Nano story proves that Indians are relatively very conservative. Just take a look at the nano's buying pattern.

Initial response was good, the bookings were not bad. All these bookings happened only because of "word to mouth" strategy.

Then, accidents broke in a couple of cars - again "word to mount" stepped in, created unnecessary fears in the face of public.

Sales went all time LOW!

At this point i would also like to point out the flaws in the initial marketing strategy opted by TATA. All its Advertisements (ADs) were pointing the LOW COST concept of the vehicle & only about the up gradation from a scooter concept which failed to create a create a Positive ownership experience.
The Initial advertisement not only portrayed the nano as a cheaper car alternate but the public perception towards the car became all time LOW.

TATAs soon realised this mistake & For the upgraded 2012 - i really liked the advertisement, those ADs portrayed young people enjoying Nano road trip and in a way the AD was more Softer & enjoyable. (The Low price AD stratergy was not followed for 2012)

Well the response for the 2012 model was good, sales improved. in fact NANO was one of the few models which saw Positive sales growth in the last year.

Still to the minds of general public, It will take a bit of time to accept NANO as a regular MINI CAR.

To be honest, when i first told one of my friend (Who is also a car lover) about the plan to buy NANO CX. Even he questioned me on the reliability of the Nano & suggested to buy an 800 or Alto instead. I replied him the below line
" Hey Bro, Im buying this car just to show my support to the Brilliance & Innovative Product made by Indian for Indian, which the whole world looked and amazed by the Indian Engineering Capability"

Most People still do not looking at the technical areas in a car / design aspects / and do not care to realize or appreciate it. Nano the best example, i just dont know why people fear of having the engine at the back.

In fact i would say its safer in a rear engined car during a head on collation, Reason during full frontal impact the engine bay (in a front engine cart) in its course of collation will compress and will tend to enter the passanger bay - But in a rear engined car the front will always tend to have some empty room to hold back the compressions during a collation.

I dont know why people are bothered about 3 nuts in the wheels, in fact F1 car tyres hold good at insane speeds with just a single connection to the body ( it can also be said - that F1 cars have only one nut)

Well certainly the peoples perception will have to change, we believe it will. But we have to wait for it.

Thanks & Regards,
Om

Last edited:

Top Bottom