VW Polo My Dream Machine "DAS AUTO"

Thread Starter #1
Few months back I plan to change my 3 years old Santro with the New Diesel Hatchback car (reason to change my car is the frequently hike in the price of petrol.) as I love to travel and explore new places and my average annual travelling is around 10k to 12k, So I plan to go for the Diesel hatch.

I don’t have many options in my mind, initially I am confused in the 2 cars in the hatchback segment Maruti Swift and I20.

1. Maruti Swift: Swift is always on the top of the list, 3 years back when I was planning my 1st personal car (Santro) that time also I was willing to purchase swift but that time my mom suggest me to go for the santro, so I go for the Santro. This time I was pretty sure that I am going to book the Swift. I visit the showroom to check the New Swift, In showroom I have to wait around 10-15 minutes so that SE will come and attend us. After 15 minutes 1 SE came to me and asked that which fuel variant are you looking for, I said I am looking for the diesel model he straightly reply that for diesel model you have to wait for at least 6 to 7 month this is the waiting period for swift diesel. As I already set the deal with my cousin brother to sell my santro to him within the 1 month of time, So I don’t have time and patience to wait for 6 to 7 months, So again I drop my plan to buy Swift and plan to try my next option i20.

2. Hyundai i20: I like the looks of i20 and the car is full of gadgets and the space is also good inside the car. I go for the test drive, I was pretty much satisfy with the performance of the car, pickup is great and on the top gears also you never feel that car is out of breath but I feel some uneasiness while driving when car is on high speed and suddenly enters in the pot hole the suspensions of the car are not able to handles it properly and you feel some bumpy ride on uneven roads. Overall I am satisfied with the pickup and performance of the car and after all I already using the Hyundai’s car so I was satisfied with the after sale service as well, So I was convinced enough to go for the i20. So I collect all the details and the loan process and ask the SE that I will confirm the booking with in the same week.
While returning home my Cousin suggest me that 1 of his friend purchased the VW Polo, let’s try polo as well. My first reaction was no I heard that VW cars are very costly to maintain so I don’t want to go for VW cars, he insist again let’s check out the car first than you will decide at last the choice is yours. I said ok let’s try VW also.

3. VW Polo: Entered the showroom in the first row red polo is showcased I was just start admiring the car not even wait for the SE me and my cousin start admiring the polo. SE came and asks that which car we are interested in my cousin reply with polo SE asked directly Sir do you have other car in your mind, I honestly reply yes I almost finalize the i20. SE replies that no doubt i20 is the good car and he start comparing i20 and polo, I don’t even bother to hear what he is trying to explain I already convinced by the looks of the Polo. Than SE explains that the built quality of the polo is far much better than the i20 and it is much stable on high speed as compare to i20, I told him that I am convinced with the built quality of the car now I want the test drive of the polo, within 5 minutes he arrange the demo car for the test drive. Initial phase of the test drive I was not much convinced as compare to i20 the pickup of the polo is not enough, but on third gear it start gaining the momentum and I also try to test the stability of the polo on high speed, I must say that I was convinced with the handling of the polo. The suspensions of the polo are really far much better than i20. After test drive I was make my mind that this is my next car and within no time make a call to my mom and tell her that I am going to book polo, she was not aware of the car I asked her to check the photos on the net, after 10 minutes she callback and said she also like the car. I book the polo trendline and SE assures me that I got my beauty after 1 week and he kept his promise on july 30th I got the delivery of the beautiful polo in red color.

Ownership Experience:
I purchase my polo on 30th july 2012, till date (24th jan 2012) my odo shows the reading of 5500 km. So, now I am ready to share my ownership experience with you guys.

Ride and Handling: Ride and handling of this car is best in class. I had couple of long trips in my polo and I must say it is a highway car (Delhi – Amritsar - Delhi 1100kms covered and Delhi – Chandigarh – Shimla – Chandigarh – Delhi 1200km covered), top class steering control even on the high speeds which make the ride confident. Excellent brakes, my model do not have the ABS but then also I feel that the brakes are excellent and it stops where you want to stop the car and the best part is breaks never let the car skit on the road. Ride quality is also up to the mark and car handle the pot hole very well, suspensions does the work very well.

Fuel Efficiency: In the city traffic I got the fuel efficiency of 14-15 km/l with 80% ac on and on highways I got 17-18 km/l which I think is a good fuel efficiency as the car is new and I expect much fuel efficiency after few more miles.

Engine: I heard allot about the turbo lag in the initial gears which I previously also think is true but after completing the 5000 kms now I don’t feel the same. Now the engine is a lot smoother than before and the engine sound is also reduced inside the cabin but, the engine sound is audible over the speed of 100km/h which irritates some times when the music is off but, the handling of the car overshadowed this and one can enjoy the ride and avoid that engine sound by play the music on the low sound.

Looks: Here comes the second most important part, after the ride and handling of the car the second most important & attractive part is the looks of POLO. Polo is the attractive & eye catching car. 1st day of my car when I entered in my society, every person in the society came to congratulate me and wants to check the car from inside also which really make you feel a proud owner of the “DAS AUTO” (The Car).

Interior: The interior has a very good feel with dual tone interiors of black and beige. It is very basic and easy to use. It gives an upmarket feel and again the panel gaps are very minimal and the plastics used are of good quality. The glove box is huge and also has coin holders and a place to keep your sun glasses. So far the best interiors that I have seen in the B+ segment in terms of quality. The seats are quite comfy and are neither soft or hard.

Try to upload the images ASAP.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
Wonderful pics, just loved those steering wheel cover are they OEM or dealer fitting?
Thanks visran, I got the steering wheel cover from the local car accessories shop, when I visit the accessories shop for the installation of the music system I also check few accessories at that time he showed me some cool steering covers but I prefer the black one which match perfectly with the interior color [:D].

Congrats on your polo Sunnypolo

That was a nice short honest review. Its always a treat to see a gleaming see red polo in pics.

Wish you many good memories with the car. Enjoy!!

Sunny_polo many congratulation for such a lovely car that too in red, it's looks gorgeous in this color. Very nice review above, wishing you many happy miles in this German beauty.

Thread Starter #10
Congrats on your polo Sunnypolo

That was a nice short honest review. Its always a treat to see a gleaming see red polo in pics.

Wish you many good memories with the car. Enjoy!!
Sunny_polo many congratulation for such a lovely car that too in red, it's looks gorgeous in this color. Very nice review above, wishing you many happy miles in this German beauty.
Thank you so much @Rightnow and @ToughGuy. Your ownership reviews inspired me allot to right my ownership review, I frequently get in touch with yours and GM88's reviews and read each page of your ownership reviews.

Love the color. But the door protectors (or whatever they are called) spoil the look of the car. Also think about getting the door handles and mirror painted in body color. It enhances the look of the car vastly.

Wow another Red Polo on TAI. Congrats Sunny_Polo for your new car. Your Polo is looking really nice. I specially loved the steering wheel cover that you've got on your car. Really neat job done there. That ICE also looks very appealing. Please post some night pics of the ICE along with the interior lighting of the car.

One suggestion - How about getting those door handles and OVRM painted Red as well? That will surely enhance the external looks of your car exponentially.

Wishing you lots and lots of smiles and miles with your Polo. Drive safe[drive] Cheers.

Wow another Red Polo on TAI. Congrats Sunny_Polo for your new car. Your Polo is looking really nice. I specially loved the steering wheel cover that you've got on your car. Really neat job done there. That ICE also looks very appealing. Please post some night pics of the ICE along with the interior lighting of the car.

One suggestion - How about getting those door handles and OVRM painted Red as well? That will surely enhance the external looks of your car exponentially.

Wishing you lots and lots of smiles and miles with your Polo. Drive safe[drive] Cheers.
yeah, that's right. Even I painted the door handles & ORVM's. It looks good. You only get annoyed when you get scratches on the ORVM. But thats not a problem though!

Thread Starter #14
Thanks for the wishes. I also prefer the same color door handles & ORVM's but my main concern area is my parking place. Actually the entry of my parking area is bit congested, while parking or taking out the vehicle from the parking there is 99% of chance that the ORVM's may touched the other vehicles or some 1 touch the ORVM's while parking [anger] so, there are much chances of getting scratches. This is the reason which stops me to do so & the scratches on the ORVM's looks very bad so, I prefer not to go for the paint work for door handles & ORVM's [cry].

Last edited:

Top Bottom