Tata Indica Vista VX - Jet Flying on Roads

Thread Starter #1
How it all goes:

Since past couple of months beginning Jan'12, I've been thinking while working in my office wondering when im gonna buy myself a car ? We owned two 1st and 2nd generation maruti's. First being a Maruti SS80 and another one is 86' model. (The first one sold by my father in only 17K when I was still in school, I learned driving in that car and was very precious for me and I'll let u know the story of other one later in the post)

No one in our family and relatives ever owned a car before marriage but what the heck I've saved enough for myself to buy a hatchback :P so there goes my hunt for the hatches around in the market. From the beginning I've a soft spot for Punto "the horsepower" ever since I took the test drive it last year. So first things first I began to make the list of hatches which comes around in the price range of 5-6.5 lac with the variation of 20K up and down but not anything above 7lacs.

Test Drive Process:

I, accompanied by my mom tested all the cars in same road route of around 20KM which include highway driving, city driving and bad roads which are not surfaced yet and muddy roads)

Test Drive Experience and their points.

1) Punto: Gorgeous Looks, Good Performance, Solid Braking, Steering feel, Overall feel good factor, High speed Stability, Good shockers, Loads of features. Disliked: Nothing in particular

2) Vista: Same performance national engine, all round visibility, very good interiors and the lighting during evening gives exactly the sedan feel. Small bumps doesn't matter to vista as it rode over them without any jerkiness in the ride.

3) Swift: Sorry don't mean to rude to swift owners but I don't want to buy the car which every other person in the neighborhood is buying. Test drove the vehicle, it was 20k on the odo and ride it through the same route again and find the ride a bit bumpy and there happened the great blunder during the test drive which in itself is a different experience. The SE guy told me to just drive the car back n forth along the straight line and didn't even let me test the vehicle which every goon in the market is buying and he indulged me with some "gaalis" during our convo. I even wrote an email to maruti cc abt the test drive experience and reported the SA guy behavior. Next day he and his superior come to my house and apologized for the rude behavior. Mom was totally against the car now and I said in my mind, forget abt Maruti.

4) Figo: Test drive the vehicle, the SE guy explained abt its various features and so I listened. Its running smooth and it touched the underbody on one of the speed bumpers while I was maintaining same speed as other cars. Mom didn't like the ride though I was ok with it. Also why figo doesn't provide the power windows in the back ?

5) i20: Called Hyundai multiple times to book the ride, but they didn't even show up after following up with my schedule.

6) Fabia: Rock solid ride, loved the interiors and the car itself. Fabia was one of the final contenders in my decision making.

7) Polo: Rode my friends Polo a while back for outstation ride, it was good though my friend who owns the car didn't want me to buy the polo, hence it was out of the options.

8) Beat: Didn't even like its funky look.

9) Brio: Just for the heck of driving all hatches I drove the brio too, and I was amazed by the interior space and comfort it provides. The controls were eye catching and simple to use but they didn't have the ABS in the test drive vehicle and I confirmed which the SA guy and he told me that's it available in top end model which was close to approx 6 lacs which was not in my comfort zone.

10) K10: My Legs didn't fit in the cabin :P I'm 6" heavy built guy and I didn't feel comfortable sitting behind the wheels.

Decision Making and PDI :

I was planning to buy the car in the festive season as we've many good deals in that period and also I've in mind the year end offers. So the waiting game begins and one fine day in June I got a call from the Tata that they are having an exchange offer of 50K on all Tata vehicles and it was mouth watering for me. Mom liked Vista and Punto from the "lot" and she gave her green signal for Vista. So it was Vista finally.

As Don carleone once said in Godfather, I'll make him an offer he can't refuse and it was the offer that Tata offered me which I can't refuse.
50K Exchange Bonus + 10K Dealer offer + Value of the old Vehicle which I mentioned above in the post [86' Model maruti]

00-Maruti_zps431d00c2.jpg

Last date of offer was 20th June 2012 and I got the call on 18th of June from Mandeep and he told me that I've to bring my old car to check its value and the whole deal will be done a day before the offer ends, so I was in a hurry to complete all the necessary paper work and finally called Mandeep that the paper work is done and im ready whenever the vista is ready and I informed him that I'll do a thorough PDI check before getting the delivery and he said ok. All the PDI was done by me and my friend. We found that the car VIN no. is 2 month old (April 2012) and it's the current model which is ok for me.

04-PDIChecking_zpsf87aab91.jpg

01-PDIChecking1_zpse5d6ab8c.jpg

02-PDIChecking_zpsd05c9167.jpg

Odo was reading 13 and I was satisfied with the PDI checklist but found one of the wheel cover missing during the test.

07-FirstRideTankfull_zps917c65ef.jpg

03-PDIChecking_zps0a523c90.jpg

So I informed Mandeep about the missing cover and he told me it will be placed during final delivery. So all done here.

Delivery Experience

Mandeep called me in the morning that Vista is ready for delivery around 3PM and I should come an hour before to check the vehicle. I accompanied by mom and my friend visited the showroom around 2PM to check the vehicle but I didn't saw any Vista VX getting ready for delivery. That day there were delivery of 5 Tata vehicles so all the SE guys were busy. Finally around 3PM I saw one Vista getting ready for delivery and I immediately went to check out the car, as I opened up the hood I was shocked to see the TDI engine and I asked the guy who was getting the car ready who's this car and he told me 22ji (sir) its your vista that is being done, lol. I told him that its the different variant of the car and called mandeep about it. So after waiting another hour my Vista finally come out of the stockyard and its getting ready in the bay. Mandeep apologized for the confusion.

05-Delivery1_zps1cd5136f.jpg

06-Delivery2_zps33f6f5fa.jpg

Its me in the above picture with mandeep :)

My mom planned that after getting the car we'll visit Golden Temple to seek the blessing of Baba Ji and there come our first trip to Amritsar.

Vista1_zps1f30d8d8.jpg

Vista4_zps96b4ff83.jpg

Vista2_zps41c0b6e2.jpg

Vista3_zpsf344ffde.jpg

Accessories offered: Mud flaps, Floor mats, perfume. (all are cheap)
So, I picked the aftermarket floor mats costs around 1500 INR and installed the trumpet horns (Minda) to replace the existing horn.

Mudflaps_zps73f519e1.jpg

Hornsb_zps272f1144.jpg

Hornsa_zpsf6061b4d.jpg

What I like about the Car?

• Smooth Ride on all speeds. I touched 150+ on NH1 to check the stability of the car and it was flying with its boots on the tarmac.
  • Tons of easy to Use features: Blue5, Steering mounted controls that I liked a lot while driving. Playing songs through my cell and many more.
  • Comfortable seating positions for all which is Vista's USP.
  • Center Console. Many disliked the center console on Vista but it’s the best position that I liked in my car and the way it glows during nighttime is a pleasure for eyes.My friend who owns a Swift ZDI current model was amazed by the Vista interiors and he told that it’s like he's sitting in some high end sedan lol.
  • All round Visibility during the drive
  • Noise Levels inside the cabin in almost nil if all the windows are rolled up.
  • VFM Factor in comparison with other hatches.
  • ABS Breaking. I feel confident riding on high speeds
  • Goodies like lumbar support, electric mirrors, rear defogger etc

What I dislike about the car?

• Indica-Vista. I don't like the fact Tata is selling Vista with the Indica tag. All my friends thought I got the new indica "taxi" car which is hurting the Vista image
  • Mud flaps, they are so cheap, why can't they manufacture good quality flaps as in other hatches which stick to the bumpers
  • Audio: its ok up to the mark but not for any audiophile. Volume above 30 is like hurting the ears, planning to change the stock speakers.
  • Ground clearance, I wish it would be up by 10-15mm from the current level.
  • Boot space is little on the less side but ok for me as it's only me driving the car at all times.

A Few milestone:

Milestonea_zpsaf7f61c9.jpg

Milestoneb_zps17b2c058.jpg

Bad day.

It was during night time I was reversing the car in an unknown area and it was pitch dark and there was a sound and I knew the moment I hit something and it was the electric pole which hit the bumper and I knew that there will a big dent as I went to check in the damage I saw the paint removed from few spots and minor scratches, will get it fixed in the 3rd service.

BadDay_zpsa29ecd78.jpg

Current Odo Reading 7575 and going strong :)

ICE Update - http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...a-vista-vx-jet-flying-roads-2.html#post267957

3rd Service Report - http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...a-vista-vx-jet-flying-roads-3.html#post287684

Installed Accesory - http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...a-vista-vx-jet-flying-roads-4.html#post336156

Last edited:
congrats on your new car. A little info about the mud flaps. I guess you wanted it to be like the ones in the Swift. Hard plastic ones.

The ones supplied with the car might look cheap, but do the job intended to do very well. The ones in the Swift break off easily on contact and dont help during the rains.

Congratulations on your new Vista with abs, this is the best shade selling across vista and manza from tata stable.wish you many happy miles with your new ride.Can you share your final OTR price along with deals,discounts,freebies offered.

Hmm Congrats for your white Vista buddy !! it seems Vista owners are increasing on TAI these days. It is a wonderful and VFM car in the market, but just be little careful with TASS where you take your car, as they are capable of screwing a good car always[:)]

Hi Kenpachi,

Happy to see an another White Sedan class owner here.

Numbers of White Vista VX increasing at TAI rapidly[clap]

Buddy, Do not worry about TAXI image. some people doesn't know the difference between Vista & Indica. even they don't know about the engine used in Vista.

If you say to those kind of people that you brought TATA vehicle, immediately they will disappoint you by saying it is TATA.

Maintain your car neatly, It will differentiate your car from cabs.

About Ground clearance, I feel Vista have enough ground clearance.
during my Sabarimala trip, I had to drive some worst roads. at any holes & speed breaker, My Vista never scraped any where. Only the Jack mount points got little bit of scrape at some speed breakers.

For ICE, As like you mentioned the OEM speakers are average. Install some good speakers at Rear. That is enough. OEM player produces excellent output. only the speakers are the culprits[frustration].

BTW, have you planned any Mods, alloys,etc.,

Once again congrats & Enjoy each and every moment with your Sedan Class[:)]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
congrats on your new car. A little info about the mud flaps. I guess you wanted it to be like the ones in the Swift. Hard plastic ones.

The ones supplied with the car might look cheap, but do the job intended to do very well. The ones in the Swift break off easily on contact and dont help during the rains.
Yea navnit013, i was talking about the hard one's which are serving in swift and ritz type, the one which are placed in vista get loose in the rainly season to the point it seems like they will drop anytime.

Congratulations on your new Vista with abs, this is the best shade selling across vista and manza from tata stable.wish you many happy miles with your new ride.Can you share your final OTR price along with deals,discounts,freebies offered.
Thanks vijay for ur wishes :)
Sure i'll share the price of the car which goes as:
  • Showroom Price VX: 585779
  • Log Charges: 3410
  • RC: 31830
  • Insurance: 20387
  • Temp No: 600
  • Extended Warranty (24+24): 5950
Total: 647956 INR

Discounts Offered
  • Exchange Bonus: 50000
  • Dealer Offer: 10000
  • Value of 86' Maruti: 10000
Total Discount: 70000

Freebies offered are just the normal Mudflaps, Floor mats, perfume.

Hmm Congrats for your white Vista buddy !! it seems Vista owners are increasing on TAI these days. It is a wonderful and VFM car in the market, but just be little careful with TASS where you take your car, as they are capable of screwing a good car always[:)]
Thanks Gurrala74 [:)] I went for the 2 services and 1 general camp at TASS and SA was well known with the car facts and listened to my queries and answered them. I was satisfied with the work.

Thread Starter #9
Well written crisp review buddy, how's the after sales experience from the dealer?
The sales experience was pleasing, all the paper work was done on the day of the delivery itself :)

Congrats on your new Tata Indica Vista VX. Drive safe ! not much of damage anyways at the rear bumper
Thanks RMP2500, it was not much of a damange but visible to the naked eye the small dent on bumper.

Hi Kenpachi,

Happy to see an another White Sedan class owner here.

Numbers of White Vista VX increasing at TAI rapidly
Yay [clap]

Buddy, Do not worry about TAXI image. some people doesn't know the difference between Vista & Indica. even they don't know about the engine used in Vista.

If you say to those kind of people that you brought TATA vehicle, immediately they will disappoint you by saying it is TATA.

Maintain your car neatly, It will differentiate your car from cabs.
Well to be frank i dun worry abt them as i know my car well. I've to tell them its the same engine which is serving many other cars as well and they were like how can i fiat or suzuki running on same engine when they are diff brands [lol]

About Ground clearance, I feel Vista have enough ground clearance.
during my Sabarimala trip, I had to drive some worst roads. at any holes & speed breaker, My Vista never scraped any where. Only the Jack mount points got little bit of scrape at some speed breakers.

For ICE, As like you mentioned the OEM speakers are average. Install some good speakers at Rear. That is enough. OEM player produces excellent output. only the speakers are the culprits.
I talked about the GC cuz my car got scrapped badly at one of the bumper when my friend was driving it, now i learned the lesson never let anyone drive ur car [frustration], Im planning to upgrade the speakers in near future.

BTW, have you planned any Mods, alloys,etc.,

Once again congrats & Enjoy each and every moment with your Sedan Class
No performance mods are planned as of now, but will add alloy wheels soon and thanks again for ur vista sedan experience!

Last edited:
Buddy,

Here are the few Questions for you[:D]

What is your ODO now?

How was your experience with TASS?

How about the Quality of work during the service of your Vista?

Thread Starter #11
Buddy,

Here are the few Questions for you[:D]

What is your ODO now?

How was your experience with TASS?

How about the Quality of work during the service of your Vista?
Odo is reading 7602 now.

I went to TASS 3 times which includes the first two services and one camp organized by TATA for vista owners. As i recall during the 1st service i visited service center without any prior appointment and while the car getting serviced i was waiting patiently in the dining lounge. The rear wiper was making some noise and i told the SA to fix it but the mechanic told me that its due to the faulty rear wiper assembly (i was thinking in my mind, how can a new car comes with the faulty rear wiper), i told him to change the rear wiper which costs around 240INR. Now during the second service i visited the SC with appointment and this time the car was delivered on time and i have no issues with niggles or any kind till date.

About the quality of work, i can say im 95% satisfied cuz during one car wash they messed up my front seat cover with the black spot like someone having dirty hands who are cleaning the interiors.
When i received the call from TASS about the quality of work to give them points i told them about the mess up in cleaning my vista and they offered me free car wash with dry cleaning so i was very much satisfied that they are trying to fix their image in this regard. Overall im satisfied vista owner at the end of the day [:D]

Last edited:
Odo is reading 7602 now.

I went to TASS 3 times which includes the first two services and one camp organized by TATA for vista owners. As i recall during the 1st service i visited service center without any prior appointment and while the car getting serviced i was waiting patiently in the dining lounge. The rear wiper was making some noise and i told the SA to fix it but the mechanic told me that its due to the faulty rear wiper assembly (i was thinking in my mind, how can a new car comes with the faulty rear wiper), i told him to change the rear wiper which costs around 240INR. Now during the second service i visited the SC with appointment and this time the car was delivered on time and i have no issues with niggles or any kind till date.

About the quality of work, i can say im 95% satisfied cuz during one car wash they messed up my front seat cover with the black spot like someone having dirty hands who are cleaning the interiors.
When i received the call from TASS about the quality of work to give them points i told them about the mess up in cleaning my vista and they offered me free car wash with dry cleaning so i was very much satisfied that they are trying to fix their image in this regard. Overall im satisfied vista owner at the end of the day [:D]

Happy to hear that, there is no issues/Niggles on your Vista[;)]

BTW,Why you paid for the Wiper? they have to replace under warranty right?

And, Have you informed about the dirt on the seat to Service Engineer?

I Don't know, When they are going to learn about the quality of work[frustration]

Thread Starter #13
Happy to hear that, there is no issues/Niggles on your Vista[;)]

BTW,Why you paid for the Wiper? they have to replace under warranty right?

And, Have you informed about the dirt on the seat to Service Engineer?

I Don't know, When they are going to learn about the quality of work[frustration]
Oh i didn't asked for the warranty as its cheap so didn't bothered.
Yes i informed about the dirt to the Service adviser and he apologized for that and he keep telling me not to reduce their points cuz of this [lol], i said its ok as they offered me the complementary cleaning and car wash again.

Oh i didn't asked for the warranty as its cheap so didn't bothered.
Yes i informed about the dirt to the Service adviser and he apologized for that and he keep telling me not to reduce their points cuz of this [lol], i said its ok as they offered me the complementary cleaning and car wash again.

Other than Oil service, you no need to pay for any parts or issues with Vista. TATA have to rectify the probelm/issue under warranty.Even SE could have told you to replace the Wiper under warranty. I don't know why he collected amount from you[frustration].

Even now also you can complaint to TATA customer care about the Wiper problem and the amount collected from you.

I feel the TATA Management is good, but, these local SE & Mechanics spoiling TATA name by this kind of lethargic activities.

Next time don't be kind with those type of Guys, mention your points honestly, so that we can help TATA management to develop its Quality of service.

Why Logistic and temp charges, as supreme court has already ordered to every car dealers they cannot charge these handling ones from consumers, secondly why you have to pay for temp as you have already paid for the registerations process to the dealer for your RTO, there are no charges for temp passings.For your insurance have you opted for 0% dept or the regular ones do let us knw and also have you opted for extended warranty,if not do opt for it within your warranty period as these extended warranty amount is worth each extra penny you are paying for.

Top Bottom