The Story of My Vehicle Downgrade - Indica Diesel To Eon

Thread Starter #1
I start most thing late. I did not learn how to ride a bicycle till std x when my classmates forced me to learn it, as otherwise they had to carry me everywhere. Similarly I did not learn to ride a motorcycle till I was forced by my family to buy my Hero Honda CD Dawn in 2003, at 31 years of age, as they thought it was not proper for a MD physician to move around in a rickety bicycle.A decision to buy a car was made in 2007. As I was commuting about sixty kms thrice a week through highway, depending upon my bike and public transport has become problematic. Our budget was around 3 lacs so we went to Maruti showroom to take a look at alto. We did not like the cramped space. So we proceeded to Hyundai showroom to have a look at Santro. Enroute we saw a new spacious sales and service center of Tata motors had opened. We went in to have a look at Indica. Fresh from my alto experience, I got bowled over by the space and rock solid feel of the car. Though I planned for a petrol car of around 3 lacs, I went over-budget and booked Tata Indica DLS non-turbo at an on road price of 3.94 lacs. After a series of hiccups and goof ups on part of the bank and dealer (which can be subject of a separate post ) got my first car delivered on October 2007.

By december 2011, the Indica has less work to do as monthly running has been reduced to 500 km from 1500 km earlier. Service has been a pain always as I had to take the car to Kolkata for a proper service as the local authorised as well as unauthorised service stations did more harm than good to the car. As more and more problems started coming and many parts required replacement, I thought of a downgrade to a A segment petrol car. Moreover road tax required renewal at October 2012, which entails an additional expense of 18k other than yearly service cost of 15k. So we went to Maruti again hoping alto k10 will be a better car. But crampy interior and very low price offered for our indica was a big put off.Once again we proceeded for Hyundai showroom to have a look at the recently launched Eon and once again we did not reach there. A new Tata motors showroom was showcasing 2012 nano (the old one was closed by Tata motors for various irregular practises some of which I am also victim of). We had a look at the car and felt it to be perfect for our small family and congested roads of our town. I logged into tata motors assured site.

From the service history of my indica available with them the website gave a tentative price of 1.6 lacs and gave contact no of their dealer for a detailed on spot assessment of the indica. As price of nano cx was 1.9 Lacs on road plus an exchange bonus of 30k, I was hoping to get the new car almost for free. The dealer fixed an appointment for the next day. I cancelled all my engagements and went to the dealer. The receptionist told us to wait as the assessor had gone to RTO and would come in any moment. We waited for one and half hour and the contact person for dealer told us to take a test drive in the nano. I took a short test drive and came back in 15 minutes. the contact person told us that the assessor had come and seen our indica (which was lying locked in the dealer's courtyard) and gave a price quote of 1.2 lacs and went back. I wanted to talk to the assessor in person but he would not be available. I demanded his mobile no and talked to him over phone. He said that he is happy with the external look of the car and had put a price of 1.3 lacs. When I told him that dealer is giving 1.2 lacs he said that dealer quoted price is final. We were very angry at their behaviour and cancelled the deal. It was decided we would keep the indica for 2 more years and then go for a new car.

Next month the indicamet with an accident.Nobody was hart but the left sided doors got badly dented. As the new dealer is for sales only, we got the insurance repair done by local Tata motors authorised workshop. It took around 20 days for all formality to complete. Then I got my vehicle back. After that we found that the car was getting floored easily which was unusual. On inspection we found some plastic hard cover dangling from underside of the car. I complained against the service center in Tata motors customer website. Their representitive called to inform that it's not possible to maintain good quality service point in every town (ours is a district headquarters) and if I bring the car to their service station in Durgapur (about 60 km from here) they will look into the matter. I decided enough is enough. I must buy a car which can be serviced locally properly and that too by October 2017 before the road tax renewal is due. But I continued to use the indica for next 6 months.

In end of July '12, one elderly lady came to my chamber for consultation. Her son-in- law was accompanying her. While going out he gave me his card and said "I work as sales person in Hyundai showroom. Please come if you decide to buy a hyundai car. "I did not want to miss hyundai showroom for the third time. So things moved pretty fast now. We test drove and booked Eon next weekend. The on road price was 3.39 lacs of which exchange price of indica was 1.2 lacs (including 15k exchange bonus) and 7k insurane was free. We took delivery of our Eon on 10th August 2012.

My experience is an indicator why Tata motors is faring badly as had their dealer and after sales service more customer friendly, I would be driving a nano instead of Eon. I will compare the driving experience of Indica and Eon in my next part of my post.

docmit

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Unfortunately all the pics of my tested and trusted indica got inadvertently deleted. Only one night time side shot is there.

Now I'll discuss how my new car felt as compared to my old car.

Looks: Though Eon is praised by most for modern and fluidic looks, we are still in love with the old-fashioned and ubiquitous design of indica. My wife particularly dislikes the 'frog like' facade. However its side profile is quiet good but for the suddenly tapering back seat window which looks weird. However from back, it looks like a very upmarket car. As of color, I chose satin glow, a variant of purple, which was a rare color for Indica. But for Eon I chose mushroom, most common choice, because it hides the dirt and scratches nicely.

Interior: Here I have a mixed feeling. I miss the large amount of space indica used to offer with large glass windows. My son could sleep in back seat straight. Alas, such luxury is no longer available. However in terms of interior colour, feel and plastic quality, I feel I have got an upgrade. It's much better than Indica with consistent panel gaps, soft feel, and no metal parts visible
inside.

Built and stability: Here the tata car wins hands down. I had a side to side accident with a 10 wheeled heavy truck in highway at a speed of 80 kmph. We did not feel anything except a loud thud and only damage to the car was dented doors. On the other hand, the eon had its side scraped by a light pick-up truck at near zero speed. As a result the whole of body component behind rear door caved in and had be replaced . Though I never go beyond 90 kmph my chauffeur took the indica upto 140. But it always felt firmly planted on ground. Though the Eon is most comfortable in highway cruising speed but taking a turn in high speed does appear scary due to its light weight. However, brakes are superb in eon, bringing the car to standstill in a very short distance.

Drivability: As I learned driving in indica with its large paddles, the small and unevenly and very closely placed paddles of Eon required some practise in getting used to. Though the gear shift is well delineated in eon as compared to vague shifting pattern of indica, what is irritating in eon is vibrating gear shaft, specially at low rpm. Though it has a higher power:weight ratio as compared to indica, lack of low range torque requires more frequent gear change in city traffic conditions. So a vibrating gear is quiet uncomfortable in such situation. The electronic power steering provided in my dlite+ trim of eon is more sensitive as compared to the hydrolic one of indica dls, but that is certainly not a boon while driving high speed in expressway. Overall view is good in eon for tall drivers like me (I am 175 cm ) but for shorter drivers like my wife, indica gave a better view due to its high driver seat compared to eon. I also miss the tachometer in eon as the gear shift indicator given as replacement is often not considerate of driving condition.

Ride & comfort: After getting used to the soft, boat like movement of indica, the ride of eon feels a little hard. Front seats are thin but quite comfortable, with a long range of movement to accommodate tall persons. However, rear seats were much more comfortable in indica, with lots of leg space and good neck support. Naturally noise and vibration levels in eon are less than diesel powered indica, however its not as good as my friend's i10. AC is really good and cools within minutes in summer. The heating element is a welcome addition in eon which was not there in our indica dls. Thermal insulation is also better in eon with on air leaking through door lock like indica. That led to better winter experience in car this year.

Performance and fuel efficiency: Though having much better power to weight ratio, the petrol engine is able to surpass indica only during highway sprints. High torque of the naturally aspirated indirect injection engine of indica did a better job in bumper to bumper city traffic (with lots of unruly pedestrian, bikes,cycle rickshaw, animals etc) with little requirement of accelerator paddle. As per fuel efficiency is concerned, the indica used to give 17-18
km per litre of diesel with ac mostly on. The mileage of eon has been variable, with as high as 19 kmpl with ac to as low as 15 kmpl without ac. Our driving includes 60% city traffic and 40% highway. I have compared two vehicles i have owned and driven in this post.

This should not be considerered to be a ownership review of either of the car as i have not driven any other car to have an objective assessment.

docmit

Now I am attaching the pics.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread now live from T.I.P Zone.
Thanks docmit for the effort and sharing , enjoy many a safe miles!

You have down graded but that is welcome down grade. You have done good thing for not going with Nano, since you are not getting the right service at your location.

So congratulation and keep driving.

congrats for your new car. It is evident from your post how much you miss your Indica. Its very unfortunate on part of TATA motors. Present sales and after sales service department is seriously jeopardising the efforts of design and production departments of TATA motors.

Top Bottom