Yamaha SS125 Ownership Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I have purchased a Blue Yamaha SS125 (Gladiator renamed) & here is the shopping experience.

The reason for buying:
It's been quite sometime since I logged in to my Addiction (TAI [:D]) & the reason is Job hunt. After a nearly disastrous December 2012, I finally got a job in Auto Industry. Now the company is nearly 17.5kms from my home, which means a total of 35+kms riding daily on Outer Ring Road.

I have sold my previous bike sometime back to fund my car restoration & so had to travel by bus for the first few days. 1.5Hrs one way travel in the morning & flat 2hrs in the evening in crowded buses.

My job also requires me to have a bike as I have to visit customer's to evaluate their cars & give a quote. 100cc bike was in my mind first (then it struck to me, that mileage isn't the only thing, ride comfort, safety & ofcourse PERFORMANCE too is required).

USED BIKE IDEA:
Saw over five bikes, released ads in OLX.in & QUICKR.com, response was less relevant to my need. As most good bikes are over 30K. My family & myself were equally worried about buying a used bike, as they are dead against "DIY" nowadays.

NEW BIKE PLANS:
Shortlisted a few bikes & rejected all of them except one
  1. Bajaj Discover 125 (4valve - 2013 model)
    Saw the bike in real for the first time @ Kalyani Bajaj near Mekhri Circle & hated its looks to the core. I know it is a subjective thing though.
  2. Bajaj Pulsar 135 LS (4 valve engine)
    Kalyani Bajaj staff did not give me a TEST DRIVE, since they had no petrol in that bike! That's it I decided not to visit them again.
  3. TVS Phoenix (I think its 3valve, 125cc)
    Different TVS Showrooms quote different prices almost 1.5K apart from each quote & I was too scared to buy as this could be another flop 125cc from TVS (FLAME, GLX, VICTORE EDGE - all 125cc)
  4. Honda Dream Yuga & Twister (110cc)
    Too costly for the "cc" they offer, Infact any other 125cc bike can be bought for the same price.
  5. Yamaha SZR (150cc with disc)
    The "Q"class amongst bikes[lol], NO IGNITION KILL SWITCH, ONLY EUROGRIP TYRES, plenty of Gladiator & Libero parts, NO PASS LIGHT, too many complaints in the initial batches sold (one of my friend owns one), Priced just 4000INR more than Gladiator, one bhp more than Gladiator, although torque is nice.
    No way I am going to buy this, a bulky tank alone cant convince me to buy a bike.
  6. Hero Glamour (Fi)
    Good sales staff, prices not much different from HONDA. Out of budget.
  7. Pulsar 150cc - Almost decided but dropped
    My downpayment was not enough for this bike, the bike that literally changed the biking scene in INDIA.
FINALLY, PACER YAMAHA gave me a test drive of a display vehicle! not test drive one on a SUNDAY AFTERNOON. AS I was already fed up I went ahead & just booked it (scared to travel till next sunday by bus).

The test drive was nice, but however nothing in the console will work as battery was not fit.

Took the delivery yesterday, paid full cash (arranged loan outside, instead of showroom offer). Full face helmet & crashguard - 50% discount.

Price:
Rs.68,547/- for bike.
Rs.750/- for the accessories

TC number given for time being. Insurance will be given by tomorrow.
Not sure if it safe to drive in this condition.

Here are a few pictures:
Tacho.JPG

AMG

Suspended
Re: Bought my last bike - Yamaha SS125

68 K
Thats very expensive. But a great bike nevertheless.

Also, what kind of a biker are you? No bike is your last bike, until you die.

congrats on your new bike.[:)]i hope that you are saying this your last bike as from now onwards you are going to have a car[lol]

I love cars,million times more than a bike but for me my first vehicle I will buy myself would be a bike. Super Bike actually.Cars can never substitute the fun riding a bike and vice versa. Anyways congracts and post more pics.

I love cars,million times more than a bike but for me my first vehicle I will buy myself would be a bike. Super Bike actually.Cars can never substitute the fun riding a bike and vice versa. Anyways congracts and post more pics.
truly said bro.[:D].cars can never substitute the joy of rides on a bike.

And bro @ ss80 post some pictures of your bike.you have just posted your still speedometer.we are waiting for some pics.[:)]

Congratulations for your new bike buddy[clap].

But an ownership review is incomplete without pics buddy[:)]

Congrats on your SS125. It is a good choice compared to SZR. Though it is renamed Gladiator, the bike really improved on every bit from the old model Gladiator or i can say from the good old Fazer.

I owned a Gladiator Type J A March 07 model sold it in May 2010 after 78K km and 3 accidents (in fact i may be the one who spent most money in his Gladiator). I am sure you can beat most 150 cc bikes available in India on road and mileage too.But remember, the bike will show drastic difference in mileage when you try the top speed.

Last edited:

First of all a big and hearty congratulations to you for getting a job, please do share some more pics. what branded helmet did you buy?

Thread Starter #15
Re: Bought My Last Bike - Yamaha SS125

Thanks a lot everybody.

@AMG
The reason I mentioned the title as"Last bike" is to remind me that I should stop spending on bikes and invest on a car soon [:)]. I have ridden 600+kms in old Discover 100cc in a single day, so you can imagine to what extent I love bikes. This is my fourth bike so I want to stop changing bikes, buy a car & be loyal partner to both of them.

@Visran

Special Thanks bro, I am loving my job a lot, plenty of things to learn & many challeneges to overcome. I have tons of info to share on our next meet.

Problems with my bike:
I dont know, if it is my luck or pure co-incidence that "rare" or too many problems come gifted with everything I buy nowadays, this bike is no exception.

1. Speedometer cable got disconnected on day 2! & I failed to notice it in traffic drove over a kilometer before I realised that something is wrong. DIY fixing outside my home, early morning on a new bike.
2. Someone stole the small sticker (3violin - Yamaha logo) on the meter console & has done a half attempt in stealing the ones on the tank
3. Since day 3 the idling is abnormal at all speeds, the tachometer needle keeps changing its position on its own every second
4. Hold the clutch & the engine switches off within 2seconds @all speeds.
5. Tail lamp has a plastic cladding on top of it & its rattling from day1 & its about to break in a day or two.

I will post pictures max by tomorrow for sure. Sorry for the delays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom