"Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday dear Princess
Happy birthday toooo youuuuuuu
So Princess turned one year old on the 14th of November, 2013. And what did I do about it? Like a very busy father does, I forgot all about her birthday. But she didn't have any complains. No sad face. No grumpiness to give me a hint. She went about her job with utmost faith and humility. Like she does, as usual.
I was jolted to reality on the night of the 18th, while I was reading a review thread and saw an ad on the top most page regarding insurance policy renewal.
"Holy Mother of God. My car's insurance must have expired by now" was the thought that crossed my mind.
"Wait a minute. Didn't I get my car on the 25th of November, or was it the 15th?" I quickly logged onto TAI
, dug out my ownership thread (which was a couple of pages behind due to all the other active threads and checked the first page. There. 15th of November was the delivery date.
I quickly went online on policy bazaar and checked out a couple of quotes from there. Bumper to bumper, zero depreciation insurance was quoted from Rs. 18k to Rs. 21k.
I got a call the very next day (yesterday) from policy bazaar and the rep there said that since my insurance had expired, the best offer he could give me was Rs. 21527 from Bajaj Allianz because I would lose my NCB as the insurance had already expired. I told him that I will get back to him and called up VW. The lady there said she could give me full bumper to bumper insurance along with zero dep for Rs. 18177 and that I would not lose the NCB and also that she can make it a continuous insurance with no break as the 14th was a holiday. I called up my regular agent in Kollam and he gave me a quote of Rs. 19000 from National Insurance.
So I went ahead with the VW insurance. Took my car to EVM where they clicked a few pictures of the car (I forgot to take my own photos of the car). The lady had already prepared the cover note and all I had to do was make the payment. Paid Rs. 18177 and my car was insured again.
While I was at it, I checked out the Polo GT TDI (No TD car) and the GT TSI (the old TD car is now for sale there as a second hand car (Das Welt Auto) for which they are expecting around Rs. 8.9-9l). How has Princess been till now? The good:
1. Fun to drive compared to the Getz but not as fun to drive as the Punto
2. Has enough power for Kerala (South Kerala, atleast). Most of my drives are in the city and on the highways which, like I've said before, are like cities in the rest of India. I do wish for more power at times.
3. Excellent build quality. No rattles as yet even though the roads to my house in Kollam are non-existent.
4. Decent fuel efficiency. I get an over all mileage of ~16 kmpl. It's been quite a long time since I checked the mileage using the tank full to tank full method.
5. Princess is quite a good looking car, I must say. She has made me grow quite fond of her after all this while.
6. The gearshifts are short and precise. There is a nice, slotted feel to it. Slight notchiness when downshifting to first at times. The bad:
1. The turbo lag makes it necessary to downshift a lot while driving in the city. Horrible turbo lag, I must say.
2. The engine clatter. At idle, the cabin is silent but it does get noisy at high revs.
3. Lack of space at the rear.
4. Poor brakes (I will be getting it checked when I give it for her 2nd service.)
5. Windshield quality is below par when compared to the windshield quality of my Getz. The windshield is loaded with fine scratches from the wiper and also dirt which refuse to go even after cleaning it thoroughly with Collins. Am I happy with her?
Hell yeah. I do, at times, wish that I had got the GT TDI or TSI instead but that feeling passes quickly. The stats (as of today):
Mileage in the odo: 23620 kms
Fuel efficiency: ~16 kmpl
Maintenance cost: 1st service charge - Rs. 11,939
Pictures to follow soon.
Originally Posted by Music_Swift
It's decided.We are getting a Polo Diesel by tomorrow.
Which Polo is it? 1.2 TDI or GT? Which variant?
Originally Posted by SankarNarayanan
Get a quote from outside Vipin. VW are overcharging you like hell. From my experience BajajAllianz quotes the best figures.
My friend's Cruze was insured for second year with Bajaj Allianz for 17,100Rs for cover of 12Lakhs. It has full bumper to bumper cover, 24X7 support and all other features. PSU companies like Oriental quoted a figure of 21k. Remember its for a value of 12L for his cruze. In your case premium can come down to 6-8k.
PS:- Even if insurance date is expired, you won't land into any trouble unless checked by cops. Renewal is same in all companies (Checking car first hand or to send pics of car to company my email)
My Getz, which is 5 years old and has an IDV value of Rs. 1.9l, has a premium of ~ Rs. 5k. My Polo's first premium was Rs. 21,839 with an IDV value of ~ Rs. 6.9l.
What was the premium you paid for your Dzire? The premium your friend paid seems too good to be true, especially since it is a bumper to bumper insurance. The only way he could have got it for so cheap was probably because he transferred the NCB on his previous car to this car. Else, it is impossible.