Pearl Mirage White (YPA) Suzuki Access 125

Thread Starter #1
Specifics
Need : alternate 2 wheeler
Mileage : ~50kmpl is OK
Power : decent (should carry 160 KG with ease)
looks : not important
riding position : need to be good with tall seats (not inclining)
weight : good weight (current bike is light weight @ 100KG)
Misc: good brakes, headlight, horn
Price : up to 1.3k (for RE) and 70-80k (others)

The need
My motorcycle was a 1992 Bajaj 4S. Even though good, the strain of carrying both me and my wife were beginning to take its toll. Moreover on our daily commuting to office both our bags were becoming too heavy to be carried easily. So we started thinking about an alternate ride, preferably a scooter.

The search
Everyone recommended an Activa, so first we checked some used Activas, the price was too high and condition was not good. So we decided to get a new one. Off we went to a Honda Showroom (the story is mentioned here). To cut everything short, Activa had a waiting period of 6 months and no TD, plus bad showroom made me drop the idea.
Next we went to the TVS show room, here everything went smooth. We almost decided to purchase Wego, then again one of her friend asked us to wait a little more, and re-think.

Confusion
At first my wife was willing to learn driving, but later on she flatly refused it. Now i was in a dilemma, if she is not willing to drive what is the use of getting a scooter and sacrifice: mileage, comfort, long distance commuting, power etc.

So after another discussion she too agreed on a bike. Next came the search for a quality 2-wheeler. Because of my 20 year old Bajaj, I wanted another one. But most of the garages advised not to get a Bajaj as they are of poor build quality.

I was again confused, then i consulted some friends who have used new-gen Bajajs. One of them clearly said “see, if you are comfortable with what Bajaj is offering go for it, many people advise against Bajaj because of poor re-sale value. If you are not planning to dispose with within 2 or 3 years you can safely opt for it. Also a Bajaj needs regular maintenance if you can live with that then go for it. ”

So we went to the Bajaj showroom, had a TD of Discover 125ST, Pulsar 150, Discover 180, Avenger 220 (actually i only sat on it as it was the only demo piece). The Discover 150 was the one i had in my mind, but they made me drive all the bikes.
Please note that I never, ever even in my wildest dreams thought of getting a Pulsar. But to my surprise the moment i sat on it, it was like just magic, the seating position, the power everything was too good.

Then we went to Royal Enfield. I went there with high hopes, but was disappointed to see the new Standard with lowered seats. The older RE were with good tall riding position. Moreover i was told a waiting period of 9 months for the Standard, 12 months for the Classic etc.

Next visit was to the Yamaha, here also i was not particularly interested. The riding position was not to my satisfaction (also she had trouble climbing to the rear).

Sling shot was also cancelled because of this steep rear end.
These were the showroom visits.

Now listing the models we considered for our purchase

RE Standard 350
+ lots of positives

- high waiting period
- low riding position

We could have opted for it, only that one of her friend told (he is also an RE owner) told her that do not buy Bullet, it has low braking power, and once the bike loses control we can't recover it blah..b blah...blah etc. Even tough me and my friends managed to convince her the truth, she was not much impressed.

Suzuki slingshot
+ good refined engine
+ mileage

- too steep rear side

Hero Karizma
- Riding position

Honda Unicorn
- back strain

- difficulty for her to climb to rear

Bajaj Discover 150
+ decent power
+ DC electrical
+ Mileage

Bajaj Pulsar 150
+ great power
+ comfort
+ low rear end
+ long seat

Bajaj Discover 125 ST
- steep rear seat
- looked little thin (when compared with its siblings)

Hero Super Splendour (recommended by a mechanic)
not good

Hero Passion Pro, Plus
many of my friends have this, i was not satisfied mostly because of the low CC engine

Hero Glamour
same 110CC engine

Boxer 150
my wife flatly rejected this

Avenger 220
my wife was not impressed by the long looks, the SA assisted by saying that the mileage is low ~35

Apache
My cousin has one not comfortable riding it with pillion

Honda Twister
+ good bike
+ seating was very comfortable (only for me)

- rear side too inclined
+small bike

Scooters

TVS WGEO
+ Great scooter
+ the balance is perfect
+ mileage
+ metal body

- 110 CC

Honda Activa & Aviator
- bad showroom experience
- high waiting periods

Mahindra Rodeo
- low leg room

Vespa
- too costly

Suzuki Access 125
many of my friends have this, everyone highly recommend this. Also ownership report of Vishwas helped me a lot in the final decision.

Suzuki Swish 125

- lighter that Access

The above story has been going for quite some time. Meanwhile i started a thread on TAI (on 9th August 2012). All of you guys poured in your ideas and supported me, of which Gurralla , ERTIGA_ZMR and visran have tried to help me a lot.

Verdict
We were half decided on Pulsar and while en route to the show room, my old mechanic called me back (i tried contacting him earlier), when i told him that i was going to buy Pulsar, he asked me to wait some more time, and think it over. I could not defy his words as he knows my riding habits, my needs etc and has been servicing my bike for the past 13 years, he knows the ups and downs of everything with my 4S. So we dropped the Pulsar 150 and returned home.

The decision to purchase Access was quick. We were on our way to office after giving the papers of my 4S for re-registration, i was having a bit of difficulty controlling the bike with two bags on the fuel tank, my wife said we need to get a scooter, at that moment i went to the Suzuki showroom, no TD was available, which was not a matter of concern as i had already driven the scooter.

The showroom
Suzuki too have a relaxed way of treating people. No over enthusiasm etc. The SA explained Access but he was more interested in the Swish. He gave me a waiting period of 2 months. I was again disappointed, but the sales manager happened to pass-by, he assured me that if it is either white or red he can deliver it within 2 days provided full-payment is paid as advance.

We jumped at the opportunity, and i opted for the White. During booking me and my wife had an argument regarding the so-called crash-guards, I was not interested in spending 2.5k over worthless steel rods screwed on the scooter, but in the end she won. Then came the trick of the show room people, at first they were willing to give separate accessory prices, and i suggested that i fix the guards at the first service, at that time they said that there was a shortage of the crash-guard. When we agreed to add it. The manager said that it comes as a whole package with seat cover mat etc etc, and I have to take it as a package if i have to get the crash guards.

Price OTR : 59,443/- (Including all accessories and registration, insurance etc)
Colour : Pearl Mirage White (YPA)

The Astrologer had already given me a good time to get the scooter, so confirmed it with the Manager.

The delivery day. 26th December 2012

The time was between 10:40 and 11:55 hrs.
09:50hrs
My wife had some errands to do, at first we were planning to go to the showroom by bus, in the end we were late, and when i called the showroom they said to come in the afternoon, I was furious so we took an autorickshaw and went to the showroom ( a good distance, or we might have been late as we have to change 3 buses) and we needed the helmet too.

10:30 hrs
While reaching there i was really mad, there was nobody there, i searched and found the receptionist who was chatting with some one at the other showroom (the showroom is split into two with Suzuki on one side and TATA cars on the other side) the scooter was not ready i went to the manager and reminded him about the time frame. He was confident.

10:45 hrs
second reminder

11:00 hrs
nothing

11:20 hrs
I went to the service manager ans told him about my problem, he made a phone call to the service centre and within 5 minutes a White Access 125 came gliding up from downstairs.

11:30 hrs
The SA handed me the keys, only thing he reminded me was that I should kick-start it when starting for the first time in the morning.
It had 19 kms on it. We went to a near by petrol pump and filled her up (450/- Rs)

After reaching home we went to Ettumanoor Mahadeva Temple for poojas. Later we went to Kumaranalloor Devi Temple too.

In later posts i will post the mods.

Suzuki Access 125
+ power
+ pick-up
+ legroom
+ low stance
+ separate numberplate light
+ large under-seat space
+ single point key operation

- poor headlight
- poor horn
- no parking lights
- no under-seat storage area light (like the Rodeo)
- 120 mm brakes are not up to the level
- fordable grip hook is not strong
- rather difficult to place it on center stand
- choke is difficult to operate
- no tuff-up tyres like Activa
- no trip meter
- no rev-counter

Initial FE 37.88 KMPL (tank full method)

Photos
1.jpg

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.jpg

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

Post #9: Adding LED lights
Post #12: Adding LED Tail Lamp
Post #20: Horn, Headlight, Tail lamp modification
Post #54: Headlight, Horn Modification
Post #167:LED Indicator installation

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Suzuki Access 125 Brochure in Malayalam

Brochure of Suzuki Access in local language (Malayalam). i could not edit my earlier post with attachments, that's why posting again brochure1.jpg

brochure2.jpg

Re: Peal Mirage White (YPA) Suzuki Access 125

Nice, ownership report buddy giving lot of information on other vehicles considered.

Access is only good in the pick up department and poor in all other aspects, and for that reason it sells like hot cake !! my hearty wishes you will have some good moments with it

Congrats Kannan for your New ACCESS 125[clap],

Even I'm also thinking to buy an scooter for my Dad to replace his 7 yrs old Super Splendor.

After reading yours and Vishwas review about Access, I may choose Access for my Dad[;)].

Welcome to Access Club Kannan and Congrats on your Access.Access is a good vehicle with good CC,Comfort.We too have an Access,which had done 1700 Km in a year.Recently,She completed 1 year on this Friday.

Thread Starter #6

Nice, ownership report buddy giving lot of information on other vehicles considered.

Access is only good in the pick up department and poor in all other aspects, and for that reason it sells like hot cake !! my hearty wishes you will have some good moments with it
thanks. you are right about the pick-up and power. i have some simple mods palnned to make it better in some aspects.

Congrats Kannan for your New ACCESS 125[clap],

Even I'm also thinking to buy an scooter for my Dad to replace his 7 yrs old Super Splendor.

After reading yours and Vishwas review about Access, I may choose Access for my Dad[;)].
Access 125 will be a good replacement as it has good power, considering the automatic transmission, it will be good in heavy traffic and i am sure that your dad will like it. after driving a geared bike from 2001 onwards the access did not made me feel the lack of power. (the only trouble is that sometimes after a climb i sometimes apply the brakes (thinking that it is clutch) and press down on the foot-board to change the gear!)[:D]

Welcome to Access Club Kannan and Congrats on your Access.Access is a good vehicle with good CC,Comfort.We too have an Access,which had done 1700 Km in a year.Recently,She completed 1 year on this Friday.
Glad to see that there are so many satisfied Access owners!

Can we do anything to improve the headlight beam?

Last edited:
If you have the option of changing your guards from.powder coating to.chrome finish do.that as these are localised accessories n it would affect your paint in longer run once its coating will start to.fall.apart.
Congratulations n wish you many happy miles with your access

Thread Starter #8

If you have the option of changing your guards from.powder coating to.chrome finish do.that as these are localised accessories n it would affect your paint in longer run once its coating will start to.fall.apart.
Congratulations n wish you many happy miles with your access
The guards are black in colour. so i gues it is powder coated. and by affecting the paint you mean the paint on the body of the scooter?

Thread Starter #9
LED Modifications

I had some T10 LEDs left over after car modification. so i decided to try them on the Access.

First of all the Bulb specification of the Access 125
Headlight : HS1 12V 35/35 W
Taillight : BA15D 12V 21/5 W
Turn signal : BA15S 12V 10W
License plate light : T10 12V 5W
Console lights
High beam indicator : T10 12V 1.7W
Turn signal indicator : T10 12V 1.7W
Panel illumination : T10 12V 1.7W

Of the above list i had many T10 and 2 BA15S (white) were lying around. so i decided to change the number plate light first.
number1.JPG
Remove the screws numbered. then by gently pulling you can get the cover off.
number2.JPG
the plastic top can be removed by turning. then after removing the glass bulb i pushed in a 20SMD LED bulb.
number3.JPG
number4.JPG
that was easy, only part is that sometimes the LEDs are longer than the T10
mini_t10.jpg
In such case please verify that the light is ok after fitting the bulb cover. (i had to open the back panel twice because i did not check this properly)

Now to change the console bulbs
cona.JPG
conb.JPG
Remove the rear view mirrors with the long nuts too, then remove the numbered screws (screws only the other bolt near the No. 5 screw is for headlight beam adjustment). then by gently pulling the front portion (simple locking mechanism). then front cover with headlight will come apart then after removing the HS1 socket it can be detached from the body.

con1.JPG
1 = right turn signal
2 = high beam
3 = console back light
4 = left turn signal

the bulb socket can be pulled down to change the bulb.
con2.JPG
con3.jpg
con4.jpg
con5.jpg

Congrats on your access! I too got mine on 6th and I have to agree the horn and headlights are poor. I can deal with headlights, since I have to travel on well-lit areas but I guess horn needs to be upgraded. Which one should I opt for and anything to be kept in mind?

Thread Starter #11

Congrats on your access! I too got mine on 6th and I have to agree the horn and headlights are poor. I can deal with headlights, since I have to travel on well-lit areas but I guess horn needs to be upgraded. Which one should I opt for and anything to be kept in mind?
Thanks!
I went to inquire about horns, most good quality shops have dual horns (one low and other high). i did not buy them as they require special wiring and relay. and was confused how to mount them.
I am searching for a good single horn. I was very much surprised when i used my uncle's rodeo, the horn and the light were pretty good. i wonder if it is possible to get an OEM horn from the Rodeo?

Thread Starter #12
Adding Brake / Tail LED light

What i miss when changed to a gear less two-wheeler

1. Engine brakes when going down on an incline
2. Tall seating position
3. wide handle bars

I have changed the Tail lamp to LED

type BA15D

led.JPG
LED Bulb

brake.JPG
brake1.JPG
when brakes are applied (the light is a running type)

console.JPG
console light in dark (sorry for the blurry ones)

tail.JPG
Number plate illumination

Mods planned

1. Horn change
2. Headlight modification
3. if possible add a trunk light
4. park light
5. a fog lamp or auxiliary light
for the above mods, please give your valuable suggestions.

Congrats on your new scooter. Even I own a Suzuki Access at home & it has completed 32,000km in the past 4 years. Its doing quite good & didn't give any issues so far.
Btw, the lights are looking cool! [:)]

Thread Starter #14

Congrats on your new scooter. Even I own a Suzuki Access at home & it has completed 32,000km in the past 4 years. Its doing quite good & didn't give any issues so far.
Btw, the lights are looking cool! [:)]
Thanks. glad to know that Access is good on the long run too. most of my friends assured me that this is a trouble free bike. 32k in 4 years is a good run. (my 20 year old 4S has ~1.6L on the ODO)
The Access has minimum fancy. the Rodeo has digital gauges, RPM meter, clock, trunk light etc. the trunk light i miss in the Access. but apart from all the knick and knacks i love this scooter.

Re: Adding Brake / Tail LED light

I have changed the Tail lamp to LED

type BA15D

Please let me know where can I get this, I have been replacing 2-3 bulbs in a month I don't why its fuses every time. [frustration]

Mods planned

1. Horn change

I am using my 800's stock horn x2 (Dual tone) [;)]

2. Headlight modification

Not much can be done, I tried every thing and left it.

3. if possible add a trunk light

Trunk lamp is possible only issue is to place the switch.
4. park light

Four way indicator ? Waiting for it..

5. a fog lamp or auxiliary light

Instead, I was thinking to source the power from battery to HL so that it stays bright all time instead of accelerating.
Waiting for your end results on all the above mods.

Top Bottom