White XUV 5OO: Buying and Ownership Experience

Thread Starter #1
Hello everyone. This is my first post and hopefully the first of many. So please excuse any errors.

We returned from the UK a year back and have been pushing the purchase of my car for sometime now. Although got my wife a Hyundai i10 Automatic as the kid needs to be driven to school everyday and I have been adjusting with my dad's swift.

I liked sedans and my wife was very particular about taking seven people atleast on short trips. More regularly, we wanted a highway muncher for four and some luggage space as we have planned a lot of trips. So my sedan idea was out.

At my price point the XUV was the lone star. I thought if i should wait for the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe and increase my budget and later decided against it as I thought I should preserve the money for my next sedan (I know exactly what I am going to buy next).

We saw the duster and couldn't even take it into consideration. The Tata Safari Storme did not really hit the sweet spot.

Went on a couple of long trips with friends of mine in their XUVs and did feel the suspension was a bit stiff, but on most roads the ride was good. The wife was really happy with back seat comfort. I loved the features and the aggressive stance. The interiors were not of a very high quality but it was not jarringly bad. We preferred the beige to the black but the beige comes with only white and black exteriors which doesn't leave much choice.

Took a test drive and felt that the steering was very easy to maneuver for a vehicle of this size. The suspension was a bit softer compared to my friends' and the clutch travel was IMO too long. I thought the brakes were fine.

I was hooked on to MPL, Chennai by a friend of mine. The feedback I got about them was good and chose to stick with them. The overall experience has been good so far with MPL.

Booked the FWD W8 version, white with beige interiors. Accessories would be rear view camera and illuminated scuff plates with the dealer. Plan to get the speakers changed and add a sub woofer and amp. 3D mats and side step do be got outside.

Awaiting the XUV on the 18th of Jan 2013 and I am running impatient as you all know.

Signed off the documents and provided the photos for registration. 2 more days to go......

And he's here!

The car is so different to drive compared to the test car and I mean it in a very good way. The clutch travel seems to be lesser and the brakes are really nice. Drive is very smooth as well. Seems like I drove a completely different car during the test drive. Extremely happy with the buy.

Pictures have been uploaded now.

First impressions:
This is my first SUV and so my views are from a sedan school of thought which will change soon.
1. The vehicles feels pretty heavy but maneuverability is very good for a vehicle this size.
2. Although it is a monocoque, there is some whobling present.
3. The ride is super smooth and I feel that they have softened the suspensions a bit compared to the previous versions.
4. The 1st and 2nd gears feel a bit tight and i have to shift to the third pretty soon. Although the 2nd gear is slowly opening up.
5. Back seat comfort is amazing.
6. Feature list is great.
7. Compared to my friend's XUV the audio seems to be much better. I don't know if they have changed the speakers or if my friend had some other settings. This is a viewpoint from an audiophile. The speakers sound a lot clearer although I will be changing them soon.
8. I am getting used to braking a bigger vehicle as it does take a bit longer than a sedan.

Whomever who have come with me so far just love it.

Issues:
1. Sometimes when I use the reverse and first gear alternatively, when I engage the first gear the reverse is still engaged and vice versa. The reason I can confirm which gear I am in is by using the reverse sensors going on and off. Don't know if anybody else have had this problem.

What could have been better:
1. The dashboard texture could have been better.
2. The middle row seats could have been movable.

Last edited:
Re: White XUV 5OO : Buying and ownership experience

Welcome to TAI and Let me be the first one to congratulate you bud. Fantastic choice.

Congratulations for your cheetah.
What was the on road price?

Thread Starter #5

Welcome to TAI and Let me be the first one to congratulate you bud. Fantastic choice.
Thanks Ferrarifan! Hope to upload the pictures soon.

Congratulations Bhargav. Did you manage to get any discounts or free accessories?
Thanks Snallagatla! I was given an accessory discount of Rs.5,000 and was told the prices were going up this month anywhere between 40-50k. So couldn't really squeeze anymore.

Congrats brother and happy new year.

Have wonderful miles with your cheetah. And please keep updating the thread.

Thread Starter #8

Congrats brother and happy new year.

Have wonderful miles with your cheetah. And please keep updating the thread.

Thanks and wish you a wonderful year as well Raja. Will keep this thread constantly updated on all my trips and mods.

Congratulations for your Cheetah buddy and what a nice way to start a new year[:)]

Do update the thread accordingly.

welcome to the forum Bhargav

Congrats on the Cheetah (M&M Has really gone leaps and bounds with this XUV Product)

wish you lot of niggle free miles

By the way why dont you start a thread on your UK Automotive experiences?

Congrats for one more white XUV on the forum !! I think more buyers are inclined towards white.

I think your waiting is coming to an end soon within next 4 days to go

Thread Starter #15
welcome to the forum Bhargav

Congrats on the Cheetah (M&M Has really gone leaps and bounds with this XUV Product)

wish you lot of niggle free miles

By the way why dont you start a thread on your UK Automotive experiences?
Thanks Ankx. The wait is killing me. Atleast just a couple of more days to go. I might probably should start a thread on my UK experience. Had an old BMW 318i series there - 2002 model. Hope to get one here soon.

Thanks Visran, TSIVipul, Gurrala74 and Rajvel. The waiting is slow. Have signed all the documents and gave the photos for registration today.
2 more days to go.......

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom