Volkswagen Polo 1.2 Petrol HL Silver 2013 Model Review

Thread Starter #1
VW Polo 1.2 Petrol HL Silver Review + EU Tail lights

I finally decided to write a review of this car which I got few days ago. It's a late 2012 refresh or according to VIN, a 2013 model.

Selection Criteria: (Petrol only)
1. i20: The new i20 facelift looks ok and has got many bells and whistles. But I did not like the car during test drive. This is the first time some one like me may have rejected a car because it's got too many features. Probability of fault with any one of them may increase.

2. VW Polo: The Highline model comes with killer looks and arguably looks on par compared with it's European counterpart with totally smoked head lamps. The test drive car was a diesel with 35000+ kms on it and first gear was making silly noises. I told the SA guy that I will not buy this car if I don't get another car for test drive. They arranged for another car which was also on 5000+ kms. But that car was just perfect.

3. Honda Brio: I did visit the showroom and DID NOT like the car at all from any angle. (For a first time driver, looks are everything [:D]). It's boot was too small even compared to Polo. I didn't bother with test drive despite it's hyped up engine. Did not consider Jazz as it looked like a love child of Brio and City iVtec.

So yeah it was a very easy choice. Booked the car at VW showroom on 2nd Nov 2012 and after anxious waiting for a one and a half month, got it delivered mid December. Decent and as per promise. The SA guy at VW Downtown Prabhadevi was new and was learning about the features of the car along with me. He did manage to embarass himself plenty of times but I helped him with my knowledge obtained from TAI forums.

I am not a writer nor do I have flowery writing skills (As demanded by a certain rival car forum [lol]). So I would like to keep the review short and to the point.

1.The best thing is the ride quality. Since in Polo, you sit very close to the ground, it causes least body roll and gives car a sporty feeling.
2. 3rd Gear and above is dream to drive.
3. 3 pot cylinder engine? Who cares? The car has no power delivery problems. I am getting 13-14 FE in city with AC on. Will update Expressway FE when I get chance to drive to Pune.
4. Looks wise, no car in Premium hatchback segment comes even remotely close to Polo. The smoked head lights and 10 spoke alloys in Highline model are icing on the cake. Draws ooohs aaahs from friends and onlookers.
5. I can brake confidently without much drama.
6. As everyone said, car feels planted at speeds of 80kmph. Never driven beyond 90 till now so will update regarding Mumbai-Pune expressway speeds later.
7. RCD 310 music system is hands down the best in class. You can order MDI to AUX cable which makes the system compatible with all cell phones. The steering controls are very handy.
8. NVH levels are are no problem. I think I remember the guy at holding warehouse telling me about improvements in Cabin insulation for 2013 model.
9. I preferred rear parking sensor to i20's rear camera. I thought the sensor was more helpful at night when I compared it side by side.
10. No complaints from family regarding back seat comfort. I thought it was going to be a problem. Phew....
11. Interiors: They can rival the bestest of the Sedans.

Dislikes:
1. I am not sure about Gearbox. I have read many comments from other reviewers that it is butter smooth. Mine feels a bit tight. May be it will loosen up a bit after some driving.
2. High clutch travel. The clutch could have been an inch nearer to the ground.
3. The annoying honking while locking and unlocking the car. Sure to tell everyone in your society that you have arrived. (Like a boss) Idiotic anyway.
4. Tail lights? You got to be kidding me VW. Why not the Euro/Aus ones on Indian models? How much money was saved from production costs? It's trivial but bothers me.
5. Getting in to the car is like getting into any sports car. You have to glide, twist, turn and you are in. But once you are in, it's worth the struggle.

Some pics before mods:

PlGSF.jpg

6VLQE.jpg

dRuS1.jpg

ZvUpq.jpg

sDi3L.jpg

List of Accessories for RCD 310 Music system

1. MDI to Aux cable

2. Audio 3.5 mm Extension cable

3. MDI to iPod/iPhone Cable

4. MDI to Micro USB

Euro Tail Lamps upgrade:
New Original VW Polo 6R Black Lights Taillights Set from VW Germany | eBay

GTI Front Grill:
New Original VW GTI Edition Grill Grille VW Polo 6R 03 2009 | eBay

GTI Arm Rest:
Armlehne Mittelarmlehne Mal VW Polo 6R AB 2009 | eBay

Planned cosmetic mods/upgrades:
1. Authentic Seat covers: Done. Installed
2. Euro Tail lights upgrade: Installed

3. Mud Flaps: Installed
4. GTI front grill: Installed (Removed GTI badge and replaced it with R-line.

5. GTI Arm rest: Later
6. 17" Alloys: Later

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
congrats for your car. i too drove a polo diesel when i wanted to buy a car.
i too found the gearbox troublesome. shifting to neutral from reverse took ages. ( skoda's gearbox was butter smooth)

1. nice seat covers [;)] you know i saved the pics in m pc. i too want similar seat covers. looks really good. how much these costed you ?

2. and what's this RCD music system ? since your's a top model i'm assuming it's factory installed ?

3. 17" wheels. mate i'll say don't go for those alloys. your fe will drop drastically.

4. those tail lights looks awesome [thumbsup] waiting to see your car having those tail lamps. just curious , didn't they have tail lights with LEDs ? would have looked better than bulbs but still looks better than the stock.

5. you should get the front grill [clap] but don't know if it will compliment your car's color ? i feel the chrome grill looks better in your car color. that grill will suit black or red.

Hey Sanke, Many Congrats for the car.

The car looks too beautiful and those interiors are looking great too. After seeing those interiors, I have become a fan of how Europeans keep things subtle yet stylish. The feel you get while sitting behind the wheel is cool and exciting in its own way.
I must say that the new highline is much more attractive in every aspect compared to before.

Dislikes:
1. I am not sure about Gearbox. I have read many comments from other reviewers that it is butter smooth. Mine feels a bit tight. May be it will loosen up a bit after some driving.
2. High clutch travel. The clutch could have been an inch nearer to the ground.
3. The annoying honking while locking and unlocking the car. Sure to tell everyone in your society that you have arrived. (Like a boss) Idiotic anyway.
4. Tail lights? You got to be kidding me VW. Why not the Euro/Aus ones on Indian models? How much money was saved from production costs? It's trivial but bothers me.
5. Getting in to the car is like getting into any sports car. You have to glide, twist, turn and you are in. But once you are in, it's worth the struggle.

...17" Alloys: Later
1. Gearbox is something you can admire at each gearshift. Take note that the gearshift in VW is not like trying too hard like other cars, but its a slotting mechanism. Just a nimble push and you can slot in desired gear. If the issue is that prominent, visit your workshop.

2. Clutch- you have to get used to, might take some time. Try not to drive in incomplete clutch.

3. Honking- its a 5 min job to get it deactivated at workshop

5. I loved this line 'once you are in, its worth the struggle'.

I wish you build good memories with the car.
Enjoy..

Last edited:
Congratulations sanke1 on the German beauty! Wishing you many happy miles ahead with her!
I love the beige-black seat covers, they complement the interiors perfectly. Did you buy them from your dealer? How much did they cost?
The clutch takes some getting used to, the long travel, however ensures that you never shift gears on half-clutch and thus reduces the damage on your car's performance. Because I was coming from driving a Hyundai Santro, which had a shorter clutch travel, I also took time to get used to the Polo's clutch.
About the gears, once you get the hang of things, you're gonna love the way the gears slot in. Initially I too had trouble in shifting gears, especially moving to the 5th gear. But now it feels like poetry in motion, as I take her out for a spin.

Enjoy your car!

Thread Starter #5
1. nice seat covers [;)] you know i saved the pics in m pc. i too want similar seat covers. looks really good. how much these costed you ?

2. and what's this RCD music system ? since your's a top model i'm assuming it's factory installed ?

3. 17" wheels. mate i'll say don't go for those alloys. your fe will drop drastically.

4. those tail lights looks awesome [thumbsup] waiting to see your car having those tail lamps. just curious , didn't they have tail lights with LEDs ? would have looked better than bulbs but still looks better than the stock.

5. you should get the front grill [clap] but don't know if it will compliment your car's color ? i feel the chrome grill looks better in your car color. that grill will suit black or red.
1. Seat covers are Genuine VW from dealership (That's what they claim) Cost me ₹9450. Bit expensive but matches perfectly with interiors.

2. RCD 310 is the ICE system manufactured by Blaupunkt. It's only available in Highline Model and is factory installed.

3. Yes I can give up few kmpl as I mostly do city driving. But there are plenty of reviews over internet saying that 17" wheels have made no difference to their FE. It improves stability even further. But lets see. I don't want the rims to get damaged on Indian roads due to low profile tyres.

4. I had first ordered LED ones from dectane.de. But they messaged me saying they are not compatible with RHD vehicles in India/UK/AUS. So they promptly refunded me. Now the current ones on order too are for LHD vehicles. But they can be converted manually to Right Hand Drive using some internet tutorials.

5. Yes, that is why I have it on hold.

Hey Sanke, Many Congrats for the car.

The car looks too beautiful and those interiors are looking great too. After seeing those interiors, I have become a fan of how Europeans keep things subtle yet stylish. The feel you get while sitting behind the wheel is cool and exciting in its own way.
I must say that the new highline is much more attractive in every aspect compared to before.

1. Gearbox is something you can admire at each gearshift. Take note that the gearshift in VW is not like trying too hard like other cars, but its a slotting mechanism. Just a nimble push and you can slot in desired gear. If the issue is that prominent, visit your workshop.

2. Clutch- you have to get used to, might take some time. Try not to drive in incomplete clutch.

3. Honking- its a 5 min job to get it deactivated at workshop

5. I loved this line 'once you are in, its worth the struggle'.

I wish you build good memories with the car.
Enjoy..
Yes the clutch would need getting used to. I need to wear high heel shoes for my leg to completely rest while driving. May be I am driving it wrong? [glasses] Kidding.

Thanks for your initial help. Are you planning for smoked head lights upgrade?

Last edited:
Hi Sanket (I am assuming its your name)

Its a nice vehicle you bought there [clap]

POLO petrol highline really has european character written all over it

BTW did you test drive any HONDAs or your decision was solely based on Looks of the Polo?

Because as i always say on the forum - If it is PETROL in India it has to be the HONDAs [;)]

And anyway even the Hondas in India are lookers right??

Anyway - did you also think about Honda city CE?

Last edited:
Nice vehicle you got
Congratulations to you on the possession
What price did you get for the machine
How have the initial driving experience been?
When I got my Brio home, I was made to give an undertaking regarding fiiting of the HSNP within 1 day. Did you sign the same.

Thread Starter #8
What's HSNP? I did not like the looks of Jazz and Brio. City iVtec was out of budget. Did not test drive any as the vehicle was not available at that time. I actually didn't feel like test driving them.

What's HSNP? I did not like the looks of Jazz and Brio. City iVtec was out of budget. Did not test drive any as the vehicle was not available at that time. I actually didn't feel like test driving them.
HSNP : High Security Number Plates. Also known as HSRP : High Security Registration Plates.

freakdude.

Thread Starter #10
Hey guys, just returned from Navi Mumbai. 1st highway ride. One thing was bothering me from get go.

On 1st and 2nd gear in 3000+ RPMs, I can feel heavy vibrations while pressing clutch. I could not enjoy the ride [cry].

Is it normal?

Hey guys, just returned from Navi Mumbai. 1st highway ride. One thing was bothering me from get go.
On 1st and 2nd gear in 3000+ RPMs, I can feel heavy vibrations while pressing clutch. I could not enjoy the ride [cry].
Is it normal?
That's very normal for first few miles. Do not worry vibrations will go away soon before you would know. Same happened to me and I remember how bad I felt about it. So, just a matter of few kms more.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
mate it's a new car , try to control yourself and keep it below 2000 rpm for atleast 2 months [:D] like rightnow said it happens for some kilometers but if you keep on driving like that at high rpm's maybe it'll become permanent. don't take any chances.

Thread Starter #13
That's very normal for first few miles. Do not worry vibrations will go away soon before you would know. Same happened to me and I remember how bad I felt about it. So, just a matter of few kms more.
Actually, it was not like this when I got the car. Few days back, while I was driving in B2B traffic in Mumbai on 1st gear, I tried to accelerate till 25 kmph and then pressed clutch to switch to 2nd gear. That time, I heard a ghrrrrrr-khrrrrr noise from below. The slight vibrations started since then. It was not half clutch shifting definitely. I went to dealership to check out the issue. They drove it for 1/2 hr and found no problem. But the vibrations are there only while pressing clutch on higher RPMs on 1st and 2nd gear.

Although I admit that they are not as bad as they were few days ago. But still noticeably present. Clocked 400+ kms so far on ODO.

Actually I have to admit, the car cornered like a Pro on Palm Beach Road at 100kmph speeds. As a new driver I shouldn't do that. But the car just inspires so much of confidence that one can believe only after driving it. Touched 120kmph for the first time. Epic feeling. Very planted and stable like a slot car.

Last edited:
Hi sanke1, Many congratulations for your new Polo, good write up mate. Like others i also suggest you to go easy with the car and try to stick around 2K rev mark. Regarding your dislikes:

1) The annoying honking: You can activate only optical warning from VW service center
2) Gearbox: I must say Polo got one of the best gearbox in it's segment, I am sure once you are use to it then you will admit the same in coming months.

Till then happy motoring, drive safe!

Actually, it was not like this when I got the car. Few days back, while I was driving in B2B traffic in Mumbai on 1st gear, I tried to accelerate till 25 kmph and then pressed clutch to switch to 2nd gear. That time, I heard a ghrrrrrr-khrrrrr noise from below. The slight vibrations started since then. It was not half clutch shifting definitely.
Actually I have to admit, the car cornered like a Pro on Palm Beach Road at 100kmph speeds. As a new driver I shouldn't do that. But the car just inspires so much of confidence that one can believe only after driving it. Touched 120kmph for the first time. Epic feeling. Very planted and stable like a slot car.
At what position exactly did you feel the vibrations? Was it right at the top of clutch when fully released or was it at half clutch. If it was the top-most position and your foot was tapped by the clutch pad continuously within fractions of a second, then the vibrations are nothing to worry about. They will disappear soon.

Occasional high speeds would be fine during initial days.
This car can bring out the best of driving skills in you, make the utmost use of it..

Top Bottom