My New Honda Brio EX MT: Complete Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
BACKGROUND AND BUYING OVERVIEW

Idea behind buying, budget set and background of the research process :
Interesting story: Well to start with, it was 1 month ago when I started looking for getting a new car. Getting married next year was the main reason as to why I started looking for a 4 wheeler upgrading from my current 2 wheeler.[:D] I had an initial budget of around 4lakhs. So, I started with a casual discussion with one of my juniors as to which cars I can consider. And the best thing happened just then as he too was as much interested in buying a new car and selling off his 2nd hand i-10. With our daily travelling need of 10-15 kms daily we started considering Petrol hatchbacks as opposed to CNG or diesel.
So the hunt started: Initial cars that we considered were: Hyundai-EON and i-10, Maruti’s-Alto 800 and Wagon –R LXI, Chevlolet- Beat PS/LS( LT was not in my budget).
We started with TD of Wagon-R and EON.
Wagon –R : Good car, I must say. Handling was comfortable and as one says tall boy stance gives a good view of road. The steering really impressed me. Interiors I must say dint impress me much and looks were average.

Eon: I was considering EON – ERA +: Initial TD was just ok. The car lacked power and rear was too cramped up especially with 3 people was out of question. The looks of the car though, impressed both of us and interiors were also nice and stylish.

i-10 : My junior was already unhappy with the performance of i-10 and had got rid of his i-10 which also created doubts in my mind. We thus skipped the TD of this car.

Alto 800 Lxi : Somehow I feel that the new look of the car has not improved (if not worse) than its previous counterpart. At my home we already own ALTO, the new Alto though has better engine, I felt it had the same power as before( of course with the same 800cc engine). My father already advised me to get a change from Alto. The TD of the new Alto 800 did not impress me much.

Beat-PS and LS : We took a TD of the car in LT variant (Top most) .The car is really is a gem of a machine in hatchback cars .Great power and handling. Interiors in the LT variant had new looks. However we both agreed to high engine sound inside the cabin with doors closed and AC off. But as LT was out of my budget, I preferred to look into the lower variants. I felt that the absence of integrated music system resulted in lack-lustre of the Beat’s stylish interiors. Also the rear seats were a bit cramped up.
Ford Figo: This car was not in my list, however my junior wanted to see this car. However it just happened that that even Maruti’s dealer was more courteous that Ford’s. The sales man was in a show off that they were so busy with the already booked car’s that they do not even care. A big let off saved our time into the even the possible TD of Ford Figo.
Almost booked Wagon-R LXI: With the above TD and review I decided on Wagon-R LXI and to believe it or not I almost decided to book the car but for “Saturday”, not a very good day to start I decided to book it on Sunday.

Story Gets interesting..Please read on.[surprise]
Just as we were returning, we saw Honda’s brightly lit showroom and I said: Ah! Wish I could own a HONDA. Well, with nothing to lose we got into the showroom and just as our eyes were glued into HONDA’s new BRIO. Black Coloured car in good lighting, Beige interiors, stylish finish and ample (really ample) rear-passenger space. We incidentally took a TD and it was just ½ a KM of ride when I decided that whatever it costs.This is the Car!!!!! Great engine refinement, awesome interiors, stylish body and whatever 1 can hope for, from this segment of car along with...the brand HONDA.!!!!!!

With my budget of 4 lakhs I had less to chose from: Base variant EMT or the new EXMT: Believe me, just a week before I saw a music system being fitted from outside market into a car. And a look into the process , I made a point to buy integrated Music system whatever it takes( maybe I can upgrade the speakers). Brio’s EXMT model offers a sound that 90% of people will love (not only like).
So we( both me and my Junior) decided on Honda new “ Brio EXMT”

DEALERSHIP EXPERIENCE:
I must say that it was a very nice experience; perhaps this also helped me to make my final decision of getting Brio. The sales man was very soft-spoken, courteous, confident and had great clarity in what he was offering.

DELIVERY OF MY CAR:
I got the delivery of the car on 23rd Dec for which I had gone with my “would be”. Happy to see that HONDA cares in what it is selling. They have a dedicated delivery area. The car was washed ( again) as we sat down comfortably. The sales person had already done with the paper works and explained each and every paper to our satisfaction. He also explained insurance claims. Finally we moved to the delivery ceremony area, where a photograph was taken with the Big Honda key being delivered to us. The photo was instantly framed and gifted to us along with a packet of chocolate and tissue pack. What else can one hope for. I was really impressed with the whole little ceremony that they arranged. Most importantly my “would be” was happy !!!
Final quote received for the car, including discounts, additional benefits and on road price
After a heavy bargaining that I could manage :
COST OF EXMT:

On road price :
1. 4.36 Lakh
2. Accessories offered for free ( worth Rs 9500/-)
- Seat covers ( PU quality) Honda original
- Gear lock ( Black cat, drill free)
- Perfume ( of good quality)
- Deity ( we chose )
- Carpet Mat ( Pics attached)
3. I opted for extended 2 year warranty ( 4k)
4. 0% depreciation (2600/-)
5. Total Payment done = 4.42 lk (Bank loan of 2Lks)

Did not opt for:
1. Road side assistance ( totally rely on Honda)
2. Anti Rust coating
3. Teflon coating (I do not believe in this)

What EXMT offers above EMT:
1. Body Coloured Outside Rear View Mirrors
2. Body Coloured Outer Door Handles
3. 1 Din Audio with Coin Box(AM/FM, MP3, USB with AUX-in)
4. Front 2 speakers

INITIAL OWNERSHIP IMPRESSIONS

The quality & overall feel of the Brio's interiors is a huge selling point in this segment of cars. Brio’s interiors not only looks well equipped, but they also have the finishing of some of the best sedans from a segment above in terms of feel, fit & finish.

With the i10, Beat and Wagon-R compared, Brio has the best-in-class interior car undoubtedly. Other manufacturers should learn from Honda’s on giving quality interiors at this price, specially Toyota ( my friend own Toyota’s Etios)
The dashboard is set on the best level giving perfect view of the road and thus, even those of a medium-height won't have any visibility issues in driving this car. The 3-spoke steering wheel is thick enough to hold and gives a confidence while driving. The horn however is a little far to reach while driving.

The front seats have a super-long fore & after adjustment range. Classy Beige coloured interiors look awesome and the seat covers (PU quality) that I got fitted from the showroom adds to that effect.( Pictures attached)

Speaking about the space at the back seat, one needs to sit before believing how much space this car generates. On the TD I was with two of my a friends and made a point to sit in all the cars that we considered and were surprised with the space that Brio offers to 3 of the passengers sitting at the back and still plenty of space for the driver and co-passenger at the front seat.
The odometer with all the console is easy to read, whether day or night and for the RPM techies it’s a plus point too. I personally don’t know much about the uses of RPM meter. However, the ECO meter as well as automatic mileage calculator is what I admire the most.

The air-conditioner of the car left my family of 5 most surprised and even the heat blower is most useful in the chilly winter of Delhi. Sound quality from the OEM system with 2 front speakers is superb. Of course, for the most Bass lovers upgrading the OEM will be needed. Brio EXMT offers single din USB / AUX inputs and Tuner. The head-unit's large buttons make it easier to use when I am driving. Just below that, is coin space which actually I use to keep my cell phone and is the best possible space for keeping it while driving.
Storage space is plentiful inside the Brio. The 180 litre boot is a lot of talked about thing in Brio , Well I haven’t actually felt its need but may curse it when I go on long highway trip. Till then happy riding for me. Additionally, the rear seat can fold down for the times that I need to carry large cargo. However, Brio's steering is small in size and wonderful to hold. There is no driver seat height adjustment,( for an average height driver its seldom needed and to believe that it even exists in the any car was also a surprise to me ( I am not much knowledgeable about cars) . All round visibility is good and it feels airy while driving. The ORVMs are of good size and with a good adjustment, one never feels visibility would be an issue( I did not opt for parking sensors and don’t feel its need too).

GOOD BITS AND BAD BITS[clap]
Mileage in the city traffic( of Delhi) has been around 15 KMPL !!!! and this is just above what I expected. Had an idea that it would be good and improve with the 1st servicing, but to start with 15 Kmpl is just awesome. Any improvement above this.Unrealististic but hoping for !!!!!

THINGS I DON’T LIKE ABOUT BRIO :
1. Gear I feel is a bit notchy ( specially in changing from 2nd to 3rd gear)
2. EXMT model doesn’t give wheel covers and to add it as accessory cost more than 4k.Wheel looks bland without this.
3. Boot space- may be when we go for a trip.
4. Suspensions of the car could have been better
5. I feel at times that horn could be a bit closer while holding the steering

ACCESSORIES I ALREADY GOT ( FROM OUTSIDE):
1. Remote locking ( keyless entry) Minda secutity system for 2k
2. Vanity mirror for 100/-

ACCESSORIES I WOULD LIKE TO ADD:
1. Mud Flaps
2. Parcel Tray ( Boot space is clearly visible without it from the glass rear)
3. Wheel covers( Costs 4000/- from Honda showroom with the screws, will get it from outside)
4. Car cover ( not sure , as I heard it causes more scratches than when not used)
5. Car cleansers

A word of advice to who-ever wants to buy a new car:
Please go through the reviews about the car and then make your decision wisely. I had made a point to check into the threads of The Automotive India after TD of each car and really it helped me lot in making the final decision. If possible take along someone who can accompany you. Really helps a lot. Hope this review can help any one in any possible way.
Wish you all a very Happy and prosperous new year 2013 !!!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: My new Brio EXMT: Complete ownership Review

super congrats on your new Brio, you are going to love revving the car!

dont miss out on rubber mats else you are going to have tough time cleaning them.
i also got the same seat covers and gear lock. WRT gearlock, coz of the spring, the lock is going to cause some noise on uneven surfaces. wheel caps will definitely add to the beauty. And you got a nice deal :)

Last edited:

Hello Praveen, welcome to TheAutomotiveIndia and congrats for your new Brio.

That was a nice and detailed review of your Brio, Kudos to it.[thumbsup]

Glad that the Forum has helped in your buying decision a lot, and i really say that Brio Such a great car for enthusiasts, Vtec motor under 5 Lakh budget is really a great machine from Honda.

Is is Variant a new one?
What all features does it contain?
The seat covers looks good on the beige interiors and it seriously lacks the wheel caps.
Get the wheels painted in Black and then fix a nice wheel cap from outside, 4k is not at all worth going from Company, you could save it for a nice Harman Speakers.

Wishing you miles of safe and happy motoring with your Brio.

I dn't agree with you. The look of alto 800 have impressed me alot!

Congratulation on your new buy.The color was awesome yaar.
How about the pick up in AC on. Are you feeling any difference compared to i10.

Hi Praveen,

A very nicely written report.

Congrats for your New Honda Brio. The car is indeed one of the best hatchbacks (Petrol) one can buy with the amount of cash you spent. Regarding the accessories, i would say, you managed to get most of the useful ones from them.
I would suggest you to go for a set of wheel caps. I belive the ones with Honda are expensive, hence you may try aftermarket wheel shops. Someone who might have upgraded to alloys would have surely given the rims as well as the wheel covers. Try your luck, you will definitely get a better deal than Honda.

Hey Doc,

A very well written review & Welcome to the Brio Club!!

THINGS I DON’T LIKE ABOUT BRIO :
1. Gear I feel is a bit notchy ( specially in changing from 2nd to 3rd gear)
2. EXMT model doesn’t give wheel covers and to add it as accessory cost more than 4k.Wheel looks bland without this.
3. Boot space- may be when we go for a trip.
4. Suspensions of the car could have been better
5. I feel at times that horn could be a bit closer while holding the steering
Gear : I personally used to feel this a lot in the initial days.
Also if you look at posts from other users suggest the same, however the logic is, a new gear box takes a while to settle down.
Trust me, after doing 5-7K Kms, & second service, the gearbox will get much smoother.
So, don't worry too much about this. Just give it some time to smoothen out.

Wheel Cover : 4 K is too much. Just go to any accessory shop, and you should be able to get a set of wheel covers for 500-600 Rs.

Boot Space : For a small family it wont be an issue. And other cars like eon & beat also have similar space.

Suspensions : I feel its a bit hard and sporty, which is good as per my preference.

Horn : This is another thing you will get used to. I generally drive with one hand near the spoke and I can use the horn by pressing my palm.
Should be a non issue in some time.

ACCESSORIES I ALREADY GOT ( FROM OUTSIDE):
1. Remote locking ( keyless entry) Minda secutity system for 2k
2. Vanity mirror for 100/-
Remote locking has become very necessary now. I hope you have taken some good reputed brand like Autocop.
I can understand the need for vanity mirror in your case.[;)]

ACCESSORIES I WOULD LIKE TO ADD:
1. Mud Flaps
2. Parcel Tray ( Boot space is clearly visible without it from the glass rear)
3. Wheel covers( Costs 4000/- from Honda showroom with the screws, will get it from outside)
4. Car cover ( not sure , as I heard it causes more scratches than when not used)
5. Car cleansers
Mud Flaps : They dont cost much. And will be very helpful especially in Rainy season, so please go for it.
Wheel Covers: Again, you should get it for a few hundred bucks outside.
Car Cover : Useful if you keep the car unused for a long time. Get a good quality fabric to avoid scratches.
Car Cleansers : Optional.

Please go through the reviews about the car and then make your decision wisely. I had made a point to check into the threads of The Automotive India after TD of each car and really it helped me lot in making the final decision. If possible take along someone who can accompany you. Really helps a lot. Hope this review can help any one in any possible way.
Well Said, and a very happy new year to you as well.

Congrats buddy[:)]
Amazing photos,seat covers enhance the beauty of interiors.
You have choosen the best car in the segment.
Enjoy with your new car!

Thats a wonderful and crisp review Doc.
its great TAI helped you in your decision and your review i am sure will help others - way to go!

Praveen

congrats on your new small wonder Brio grey !! its a awesome peppy car

Nice crisp and informative review buddy, I wish you have wonderful time with you car ahead

Consult Nitin_k in Delhi a Brio owner for any clarifications as I drove his car and he knows well to handle Brio[:)]

Thread Starter #11
super congrats on your new Brio, you are going to love revving the car!

dont miss out on rubber mats else you are going to have tough time cleaning them.
i also got the same seat covers and gear lock. WRT gearlock, coz of the spring, the lock is going to cause some noise on uneven surfaces. wheel caps will definitely add to the beauty. And you got a nice deal :)
Thanks Nitin. I already am geeting the cars mat dirty.Planning to get the mats, mud flap and wheel cover this saturday afternoon. Will get a free evening after a long time. Also planning for a small trip.

Hello Praveen, welcome to TheAutomotiveIndia and congrats for your new Brio.

That was a nice and detailed review of your Brio, Kudos to it.[thumbsup]

Glad that the Forum has helped in your buying decision a lot, and i really say that Brio Such a great car for enthusiasts, Vtec motor under 5 Lakh budget is really a great machine from Honda.

Is is Variant a new one?
The seat covers looks good on the beige interiors and it seriously lacks the wheel caps.
Get the wheels painted in Black and then fix a nice wheel cap from outside, 4k is not at all worth going from Company, you could save it for a nice Harman Speakers.

Wishing you miles of safe and happy motoring with your Brio.
Thanks Mr. Vishwas,
I am really thrilled with this small little car and the power it generates.
Is is Variant a new one?
Yes Brio EXMT is a new launched car over the base model EMT

Features that EXMT offers above EMT:
1. Body Coloured Outside Rear View Mirrors
2. Body Coloured Outer Door Handles
3. 1 Din Audio with Coin Box(AM/FM, MP3, USB with AUX-in)
4. Front 2 speakers
The car really wants a wheel cover.Will get it this weekend.
Please suggest on painting the wheel in black. Have you done so .Please post some pics
Also please suggest about the rear speakers that I can get ( Have really no idea about any speaker upgrade)
Thanks again!!!!

I dn't agree with you. The look of alto 800 have impressed me alot!
Hey Nidhi. Actually it has been more of a personal choice. New Alto 800 has really been of mixed response ,especially about its looks. Any was which cars are you considering? Please give your opinions too.

Congratulation on your new buy.The color was awesome yaar.
How about the pick up in AC on. Are you feeling any difference compared to i10.
Thanks Amby,
Pick up in AC is good .I can say so because I had a TD with some good number of cars before i finalized on Brio. About comparison to i-10 , There's not much difference in pick up as both are quite comparable both in power and handling. Its just the looks( exterior and interiors that impressed me the most) . Also i-10 has gone very common in Delhi now.

Hi Praveen,

A very nicely written report.

Congrats for your New Honda Brio. The car is indeed one of the best hatchbacks (Petrol) one can buy with the amount of cash you spent. Regarding the accessories, i would say, you managed to get most of the useful ones from them.
I would suggest you to go for a set of wheel caps. I belive the ones with Honda are expensive, hence you may try aftermarket wheel shops. Someone who might have upgraded to alloys would have surely given the rims as well as the wheel covers. Try your luck, you will definitely get a better deal than Honda.
Thanks Akash,
Wheel caps- will get it loaded this weekend. And about accessories,it was just a bit of bargaining that i did.Initially they were offering me parking sensors instead of Seat covers. But I was adamant on get the original PU quality seat cover.[:)] Finally they agreed. I got a lesson that with a good bargaining just before making the booking, one can have his final say. After that nothing changes.

Thread Starter #12

Hey Doc,

A very well written review & Welcome to the Brio Club!!

Gear : I personally used to feel this a lot in the initial days.
Also if you look at posts from other users suggest the same, however the logic is, a new gear box takes a while to settle down.
Trust me, after doing 5-7K Kms, & second service, the gearbox will get much smoother.
So, don't worry too much about this. Just give it some time to smoothen out.

Wheel Cover : 4 K is too much. Just go to any accessory shop, and you should be able to get a set of wheel covers for 500-600 Rs.

Boot Space : For a small family it wont be an issue. And other cars like eon & beat also have similar space.

Suspensions : I feel its a bit hard and sporty, which is good as per my preference.

Horn : This is another thing you will get used to. I generally drive with one hand near the spoke and I can use the horn by pressing my palm.
Should be a non issue in some time.

Remote locking has become very necessary now. I hope you have taken some good reputed brand like Autocop.
I can understand the need for vanity mirror in your case.[;)]

Mud Flaps : They dont cost much. And will be very helpful especially in Rainy season, so please go for it.
Wheel Covers: Again, you should get it for a few hundred bucks outside.
Car Cover : Useful if you keep the car unused for a long time. Get a good quality fabric to avoid scratches.
Car Cleansers : Optional.

Well Said, and a very happy new year to you as well.
Dear Sudeep,
I must thank you for the wonderful Brio SMT review.It really helped me a lot in making my final decision. Used to follow it right from the start of my car hunt and am happy to own Brio now.Thanks again
I have few more queries.
1. How do you respond to the small scratches in your car.Of couse they are unavoidable in heavy traffic and congested parking conditions of Delhi. Have you ever used the scratch remover pen or any sort of polish for this?

2. Car cover : Have you got them ? The accessories shop showed me covers from 500/- to 2000/- .Totally confused which 1 to get.I let it go as of now.

3. What FE are you presently getting ?

4. Do you any sort of 3M polish for your car?

5. About the security system, the accessories shop convinced me that Minda is now as much good as Auto-cop. Hope this goes true? My father however prefers Autocop by far.

Thread Starter #14
Congrats buddy[:)]
Amazing photos,seat covers enhance the beauty of interiors.
You have choosen the best car in the segment.
Enjoy with your new car!
Thanks Sanjay. Yes the interiors look great with beige colour and the seat cover fitting really adds to this effect. I really feel Honda accessories are overpriced a lot .However, I am happy that I could manage the seat cover from them as freebuys.

Thread Starter #15
Thanks Mr. Gurrala. Really feeling great to be part of the automotive India team .Really it was a nice experience while choosing this car.Thanks 1 and thanks all.

Top Bottom