My Little Pocket Rocket - Alto K10 VXi

Thread Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

This is my second ownership review, the first one was of our Ford Fiesta the link is as under:
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...y-mile-muncher-ford-fiesta-1-5p-titanium.html

Hope I don't repeat any of the similar mistakes I had in the last one. Well here goes. This review is about my 2011 Maruti Suzuki Alto K10 Vxi, she is almost 1.5 year old now and has done over 14,000kms now. The decision to buy a car for my commuting was made in May 2011 while I was working in Chennai. I personally dont know how to ride a bike, which is one of my regrets. So some of the great bikes were out of the picture, thought of getting a scooter and learning how to ride one, thinking "How hard can it be!! I know how to ride a bicycle afterall." But parents were not comfortable with the idea as I was staying alone in Chennai while mom and dad were in Bombay so bike plans are thrown out of the window. So the budget was now increased to approximately 2.5 lakhs for a second hand car scoured the classifieds and saw some of the used car dealerships but some how I did not find a car which I liked that much. Then comes a blue Chevy Beat at 2.96 Lakhs with low mileage and only a few months old. I was WOW!! almost bought that car but backed out very soon when found out that there was something fishy regarding the paper work of the car. Damn!!
Then a friend of mine suggested dude if you are spending so much put in about 50-60k and get a new car. I was like a new car really, I have to park on the street but somehow the thought of a shiny new car was too strong. So with a budget of 3.5 the search is now on. The cars which were considered were:

1) Hyundai Santro: rejected cause of the old shape and the one with AC well was more expensive than my budget.

2) Chevrolet Spark: then the offer was there to get the PS model if I am not wrong for 2.85 lakhs ex-showroom so inclusive everything it was below 3.5 but the cars were Chevrolet cars which had not been sold for over a year. Somehow the concept of getting an older car was not gelling well and also the model did not have body colored bumpers that was the deal breaker.

Then I was wondering hmmm... lets check the alto 800cc, I was skeptical considering Maruti cars have long wait times. I check the prices of the 800cc and then also see the k10's prices all the reviews were praising the k10 alot. The k10 prices were little bit on the higher side, then call a few dealers and to my surprise the k10 was fitting in my budget and best of all select colors of the k10 are readily available.

Go to a dealer and sit in the car and see the overall size, I was expecting the doors to shut with a light sound like in the old Maruti 800s, but there was a soft thud and I was like hmm this is not bad. Yes I agree its still a very light car and the thud is only for the packing material but still!! Then I was like well ok this thing has a 1litre engine does it struggle with the AC on and 2-3 people in the city to catch speed like the old Maruti 800?? Friend of mine was "Dude the k10 block is great just take it for a spin and decide" So finally at the dealership we get a test drive and my impressions were WOW!!! I love this little thing!! I loved the response of the little k10 block, we were 3 people and the AC was on and in the city press the accelerator the little engine pulls leaps forward. That was the point in my mind "Thats it I am buying this thing!!" So talk to the dealer regarding the availability and colors, I love the color Blue but Maruti doesnt make the k10 in Blue, then how about the copper color (sorry sir not available and the on-going Manesar problem it could take some time) :frown:. OK what can I get now!! Well the Black color Vxi, White Color Vxi and Maroon Color Lxi and Golden Color Lxi is available. OK, then the discussion comes to price, discounts and freebies. Go to a few more dealers and finally decide to go the first dealer after bargaining for a few more discounts and freebies.
Then book the car on a Friday after office give all the cash and before giving the cash take the commitment that I am getting the car within a week after the RTO formalities. That week felt like a month!! god the anxiety of getting my first car!! Then the day before the dealer messages me my vehicle number So Yayyy I am getting my car the next day. Then offcourse the next day the dealer says "Sir your car has come when are you coming?" I ask till when they are open and slip out of office earlier and sit in the auto thinking "This is my last auto ride in Chennai!!" and on reaching see a shining black Alto with a yellow ribbon and a garland on it and some guys were fixing the sun film. I meet the sales person he is like sir give us a few minutes we are just fitting the sunfilm and in the mean while gives me the other paper work and the warranties and manuals of all the freebies (sony xplod sound system, nippon remote locking). We click a few pictures and then he provides the 10 litre coupon for petrol at the next petrol pump. Sitting inside the car and when I start "my car" the feeling was surreal, I mean yes its only an Alto but what was important was ITS MY ALTO!! I am sure many of us car lovers will understand the feeling.

I have loved my little pocket rocket for almost 18 months now and love the little engine. The little thing is easily capable of three digit speeds and the handling feels like a go-kart till 60-70 after that you can feel the front getting a little light. Gives the true intention of this little car being a city run about. That wasnt much of a problem for me anyways. The AC i must say is quite effective as it can really cool the car's cabin. Considering the rising petrol prices well 13.5-14kmpl with AC in Bombay traffic and 19-20kmpl on highways is great for me. I find the boot tiny!! and the rear seats are a torture for the rear seat passengers for a long duration, but hey the overall size of the car has greater advantages than disadvantages and well also I cant expect the moon at 3.55 lakhs do I. The funniest thing was I did not know when the car would come in reserve as there is no warning lamp but only the last bar would start blinking, I had to Google it to find this out (I know should have read the manual)

Some of the real annoying issues I find is the faulty power window button for the passenger side which remains stuck on fully closed in 1/10 times and works on its own after a few minutes. I showed it to Maruti dealers they had no idea what the problem was. Guys please let me know if you face such an issue as well [confused]. Second Maruti how much would it cost if you had given a clock in the dash!! and where is the temperature indicator??

Overall I love my little pocket rocket as its compact dimensions are excellent for the city traffic and its great for running around for 2 people as you can really push the front seats back and make it comfortable in the front.

Had to remove the sunfilm from my car due to the Supreme Court rules. I have fitted after-market black leather seats. Some of my car's photos are below:

Attachments

Hey your Alto looks cool. Alto was one of my favs from the time, when i drove an Alto 1.1. the car was silky smooth and what a performance.
My brother had an alto and he used to come from Bangalore to Kottayam (kerala, ~650km) in under 8 hrs (including dinner time). he was very happy with it.

altogether Alto is a fine piece of Machinery and go crunch miles with it

Thread Starter #3
Thanks Kannan ya the car is a great little thing. I really love the k10 engine block however I feel that it needs a little fatter tyres, as if you are taking a turn on the highway at 70 you can feel that the tyres are working hard to grab the road. Also on the highways after 90 you can feel the front beginning lift. I had once taken it to 120 where it feels scary cause the steering goes completely light and you can distinctly feel the front lifting. Apart from that I have a simple rule in traffic "Where ever an Auto can go an Alto can follow" [lol]

Thanks Kannan ya the car is a great little thing. I really love the k10 engine block however I feel that it needs a little fatter tyres, as if you are taking a turn on the highway at 70 you can feel that the tyres are working hard to grab the road. Also on the highways after 90 you can feel the front beginning lift. I had once taken it to 120 where it feels scary cause the steering goes completely light and you can distinctly feel the front lifting. Apart from that I have a simple rule in traffic "Where ever an Auto can go an Alto can follow" [lol]
you are really taking the alto to its maximum limits, just like my brother! for me it is really scary, i never go beyond 60 that's my maximum, i stick to 50 whenever it is possible.

350Z

Core Team
Great choice, Ronz. That’s a straight from the heart write up. Usually I don’t find small cars too appealing in black but K10 is an exception. Do share more photographs and keep us updated on the running costs too. It looks that I missed the Fiesta review. I’m heading towards it right now. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #6
Great choice, Ronz. That’s a straight from the heart write up. Usually I don’t find small cars too appealing in black but K10 is an exception. Do share more photographs and keep us updated on the running costs too. It looks that I missed the Fiesta review. I’m heading towards it right now. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z
Hey thanks 350Z well the little k10 looks good in black but it sure needs effort to keep it shining as even the tiny blemishes are very apparent. As for the running costs I love the cost of spares as the passenger side window was smashed by a thief when he tried to steal my stereo system. The cost to replace the whole side window is only 500Rs and 600 inclusive of labor from maruti service centre [clap] the real brake lamp assembly was also cracked by an errant biker in bombay [anger] and that too was only 650Rs inclusive of labor.
With an average of 13-14kmpl in city with AC and a tiny turning radius I love it for the congested bombay roads.

Also I hope you enjoy the review of the Fiesta as well

As for the running costs I love the cost of spares as the passenger side window was smashed by a thief when he tried to steal my stereo system. The cost to replace the whole side window is only 500Rs and 600 inclusive of labor from maruti service centre [clap] the real brake lamp assembly was also cracked by an errant biker in bombay [anger] and that too was only 650Rs inclusive of labor.
the costs are really low, that too at MASS. really the Alto is a flagship model and really good car. wishing you a happy new year with your alto.

Thread Starter #8
Hey Thanks Kannan wish you a very happy and prosperous new year as well. Well I would not say Alto is Maruti's flagship but its their most popular vehicle.

Thread Starter #9
Hey guys starting with the first set of mods for my car. Initially just starting with smaller mods not messing with the engine or the electrics yet as they are still under warranty:

1 - Already installed rear spoiler with brake light
2 - Shall put graphics on the side by today or tomorrow
3 - Planning on installing alloy wheels soon just researching the best prices and the pcd rating for the alto k10.

Fellow TAI members in Mumbai I would like to request for your suggestion and info for good and reliable alloy wheels for my alto k10.
Also does any one have a confirmed information regarding the PCD rating and the offset rating for the alto k10 wheels?

Suggestions and Info shall be highly appreciated.

Thread Starter #11
Hey Vaibhav I am getting close to 13.5 to 14 in bombay's bumper to bumper traffic with AC and close to 20 on the highways I always drive with AC

The alloys are looking awesome buddy. As for the spoiler, i am addicted to them so [thumbswink]. BUT, why those vinyls?

Do put up some more pics of your car, especially the side profile. Must say your cars soon going to be a headturner among the Altos.

Thread Starter #15
You car looks cool now !! Are those 13 " wheels ?

Have you changed the tires too ? Do share the cost.
Hey Varun thanks man yup those are 13" alloys and nope did not change the tires as they are still newish only the wheels the alloys cost me 10,000 after exchanging my old wheels

The alloys are looking awesome buddy. As for the spoiler, i am addicted to them so [thumbswink]. BUT, why those vinyls?

Do put up some more pics of your car, especially the side profile. Must say your cars soon going to be a headturner among the Altos.
Hey Akash thanks man I installed the spoiler myself it has the integrated brake light as well. I kinda like the vinyls. The red in the vinyl matches the red outline on the alloys.

Love the headturner amongst Altos part [:D] Never imagined the look would change so much with the alloys

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom