Powered By M-Hawk: Mahindra Scorpio SLE. 7 Years and 118,000+ Kms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Dear all,

This is my first post in this forum though I have been a serious offline user of TAI for quite some time. Now I decide to step in and contribute from my side.

Prologue

People might think ,gone are the days of Mahindra Scorpio with the launch of XUV5OO ,Duster ,Storme….But for me, none of them could shake the reputation and stance of the Mighty Scorpio m-Hawk until today.
q.jpg

My drive on four wheelers began in 2005 when I bought a 2003 model used Tata Indica DLE, with 50000km on Odo]. The experience with it was a mixed bag even though it didn’t let me stranded on roads anytime. In fact the amount of time that I spent in the ASS got me newer friends that included my regular ASS supervisors, technicians and a couple of Safari/Sumo/Indica owners who were on the same boat as me.

1.jpg
I am a perfectionist when it comes to my car. I take care of it more than anything else[;)].I always try take proactive measures in order to make sure my car is in immaculate condition in all aspects and it is after all my lovely second home during on road trips. My first car, Indica wasn’t an exception. I loved and took care of it as I do these days with my Scorpy.At times it was very tough for me to maintain the quality I wanted with a used Tata car. My indica spent quite a good time at the ASS, Palakkad [Vijay motors] addressing to those usual rattles, suspension overhaul- including front two shock absorbers ,break booster failure and many more which I don’t recollect right now.

But still I don’t regret my decision to buy a Tata Indica but do regret on the fact that it was a used one. I would never buy any used car ever in future.

I sold it after I procured my current possession, the power house- Fiery black Mahindra Scorpio m-Hawk Sle.
2.jpg

Decision making and buying experience

I may be found stupid after you read my buying experience of the Scorpy...:stupid:

In the month of June 2009, miles away from home, me and wify succumbed to nostalgia, decided to buy a new car with character to live our life to fullest on our return to India. I was always an SUV man. My wife understood my taste [as always...] and narrowed down our search to safari and Scorpio. I didn't have to do much to convince my better half to go for an SUV as she also thought we would be safer in bigger SUVs. Thanks to her previous experience in our indica with hardly anything visible in front.

We decided on a budget of 10 lac and shortlisted
1. Tata Safari dicor 2.2 VTT
2. Mahindra Scorpio m-Hawk

Thanks to our previous experience with a Tata and a few advices from my relatives, deciding on the scorpy wasn't very difficult though I love the looks of safari any day. We did a bit of research to realize a Mahindra to be a bit more reliable than a Tata.

It was in 2009, Mahindra launched the face lifted refreshed Scorpio m-Hawk.
I think it is in the last week of June 2009 I called up Mr.Danish, a senior personal of southern region of TVS Iyengar & Sons Ltd based in Trissur.I expressed my interest to buy a Scorpio. Mr. Danish patiently explained various variants, features, and price and answered all my queries regarding the new vehicle. Finally me and wify ,after confirming with our parents back in india decided to buy the Sle variant without having a single visit to the showroom or Test Drive:stupid:

We wanted the vehicle delivered on the 3rd July 2009 -the day we land in Kochi. We wanted the white variant but due to its high demand those days Mr. Danish could not promise on that. I was told that if it was Fiery Black or Java Brown, I could get the delivery on the 3rd. So we had no other choice but to finalize on the Fiery Black variant.
7.jpg
In pictures the Fiery Black in silver cladding didn't impress me, though wify liked it, and asked Danish to paint the cladding in black. But he said picture doesn't do justice and insisted me to come down to see it first before deciding to make it all black. The cost of the paint job as I remember was around Rs 20000. agreed and sends him a check of Rs 50k and booked a Mahindra Scorpio m-Hawk Sle [Fiery Black].

In a week time I got a call from Mr. Danish saying that the vehicle has arrived and requested for a PDI. Back home, my father and a cousin went to the showroom and had a look at the vehicle.
They were blown away looking at the stance of mighty black Scorpio [as per them].

image002.jpg
They didn't do any PDI or any serious examination on any aspect of the vehicle due to utter ignorance [including me] .I started reading TAI seriously after I bought Scorpio.

There were no freebies or discounts on offer as I was told that they in fact gave it by delivering the vehicle in a short time, in about 10 days. Again I agreed.

While in China, during those days, before the D -day, I Mr. Danish agreed to fit various accessories [to be listed later] as asked my me and also finalized the delivery day as 3rd July.

On the 2nd July2009, we flew back to Kochi and got back home in Palakkad at around 2.00am on the 3rd.
3.jpg

The D-day
On the 3rd morning we had rest for a couple of hours. In the afternoon there comes the call from Danish here we go wasting no time for the delivery.

My heart started pounding harder and faster when I saw my black and shiny m-Hawk with all the accessories fitted exceptionally well by Danish & Co. At the rear the Polk audio ovals were fitted on a Pad so well that even after 3.5 years there are no rattle at all from there. Danish was so professional that when I had a few questions regarding the Base adjustments in the Pioneer HU while playing from my iPod Classic, he called the authorized Pioneer persons in less than half an hour and got all my queries clarified.

The experience of owning a brand new SUV with all the accessories I wanted with fitment better than I anticipated was a memorable one.

The final OTR price was Rs.907167.00. The break down is

Vehicle value 823300.00
Road tax 49398.00
Insurance [Royal sundaram] 23470.00
T.P 1000.00
Extended warranty [two years] 9999.00

Total OTR 907167.00 [July 2009]

Accessories fitted- Pre delivery: [July 2009]

Under body anti rust proofing 5000.00(one year warranty)
Maxi care coating (Teflon) 4350.00(one year warranty) 2 free
service
Floor mat full set 1750.00
Pioneer 2 din FH-P6050UB 13500.00(one year warranty)
Front component speaker (Boston) 6” 3800.00
Rear 300w Polk audio oval 5500.00
Rear pad 750.00

4.jpg

Accessories fitted- Post delivery [as on July 2012]

Mahindra Scorpio OEM Alloys -4 1800.00
Fender mirror [Fortuner-original] 4500.00
Reverse Camera 1800.00
Monitor [video player + USB] 4500.00
Pioneer Sub-Woofer TS WX 303 1200W 7000.00
Kenwood Amp -2 channel 4500.00

Initial Driving impressions:

I got on to the front seat [driver seat of course], adjusted manually the seat and tilted the power steering to my liking and waited for wify and dad too to get them comfortable in the cabin. Woh... What a feeling. Now I can see the entire world outside clearly [I could see hardly anything at comfort in my indica earlier].I am 6.0".
int.jpg
Using the buttons that are awkwardly placed near the gear lever, I slowly scrolled down the driver side window. Slotted the key and cranked the engine. Thanked and said bye to Danish & Co and drove past the front gate of the showroom straight on to NH47. The initial nervousness vanished with the smoothness of the ride and also the attention and respect the vehicle received from other vehicles and the entire the world around.

Initially wify was appeared to be nervous telling me the dimensions of the vehicle in the trissur city traffic but soon appeared relaxed. We enjoyed every bit of that 2 hour drive back home to Palakkad that evening.
p.jpg

The m-Hawk was amazingly smooth and the amount of torque on reserve at all speeds I tried was exhilarating and tempted me to push a bit more and more but I controlled. The hard clutch and gear shift were a bit irritating though initially.

I took my own time to get accustomed to the dimensions of the monster while driving and in a week time me and wify did our first long drive to her native place, Munnar.
mun.jpg
"Life is only once, enjoy every bit of it"
munar.jpg
Nature at its best
mnnnn.jpg
Long Term Driving experience

The serious drive for my Scorpy happens only in the months of Jan-Feb and July-Aug when we are back in India on holidays. In between there aren't any serious exercise for my scorpy. So first thing that I do, when I reach home from abroad is to take him to ASS for a thorough medical rather mechanical examination. All fluids are replaced especially engine oil, mandatory top ups of other fluids are carried out, in addition to the over all check up for the vehicle. Now we have ITL motors in Palakkad and Trissur to look after my Scorpy. To get the best service done I make sure i keep a contact with Mahindra & Mahindra Kochi regional office.

I have been enjoying the drive to the fullest. In addition to our regular [in every 10-12 days] Palakkad-Munnar drive, some of the long drives that we did with our family include;

1. Palakkad to Velankkani Church [ 2 times] via Trichy
vel.jpg
2. Munnar to Velankkani Church [2 times] via theni-dindigul-trichy
3. Palakkad to Bangalore [4 times]
ban.jpg
4. Palakkad to Mysore [ once] via nilambur-nadukani-bandipur
mys.jpg
5. Palakkad to Mookambika temple [ 3 times] via mangalore
mk.jpg
g2.jpg
6. Palakkad to Goa [once] via mangalore-udupi-karwar
g1.jpg g3.jpg
All those drives were exceptionally enjoyable and memorable with not a single instance of any sort of mechanical issues whatsoever. [travelogues are due in the respective sections] This vehicle is truly a very reliable one to own.
List of some major replacements/issues/upgrades [as I remember apart from regular services]
1. Suspension overhaul including all bushes and rubber parts [ after our first trip to Mookampika in 2010 thanks to the non existent roads between kannur and mangalore]
2. wiper motor -replaced under warranty
3. wiper blades- replaces twice [Bosch]
4. ABS sensor failure ,both- replaced under warranty [goodwill]
5. The spare wheel fixing device/motor failure -replaced under warranty [while returning from munnar a swift sped past us near perumbavur stopped in front of us to inform me that my spare wheel was dislodged and spinning almost touching the ground.We thanked him and removed it instantly and went straight to ITL trissur to have got it fixed]
6. Battery replaced once -thanks to being unused most part of the year.
7. I miss cruise control and Air bags in my scorpy.
8. At 45k km on ODO, all four JK tires replaced with Yokohama Geolandar A/T in last July.
yok1.jpg
[ but now i am a bit anxious about its side wall's strength due to many news of incidents/accidents of tire burst mainly associated with Yokos]
y2.jpg
y3.jpg
Future upgrades:

I will be keeping my scorpy for another two to three years. I am thinking of a touch screen 2- din GPS HU in place of my existing one.

thanks for reading and I shall keep you updated here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Powered- by m-HAWK : Scorpio Sle -Three and half years and 50000 kms

wonderful narration and ownership experience

Its a pleasure reading it

One of the best INDIAN made SUVs [:)]

A very well written ownership review. Congrats for your scorpio Sir :-)

A very well written ownership review, didn't know it was so easy to buy a car when you are out of country.

Awaiting more pictures of your beast along with travel logs.

CONGRATULATIONS for your SCORPIO

Welcome to The Automotive India Manoj.

Very well written review, loved reading it and good to know that Scorpy is treating you well.

Ad!tya

Suspended

Wow! That was quite an impressive writeup! Congrats on your Scorpio Manoj.
I bet you love driving it in city because of the tall stance.
Also, I liked the pics very much. Do share how you painted the sidewall of your tyres.

Drive safe.

Thread Starter #7

Wow! That was quite an impressive writeup! Congrats on your Scorpio Manoj.
I bet you love driving it in city because of the tall stance.
Also, I liked the pics very much. Do share how you painted the sidewall of your tyres.

Drive safe.
Thanks Aditya. It was a DIY job on a sunday with normal white paint and a paint brush. Tyres were looking great but didn't last even a week.[frustration]

Ad!tya

Suspended

Oh. I also tried on my friend's Alto with brush and white paint (the JK tyre part) and ended up spoiling the whole tyre. Soon, he changed to Michelin.

If it was a Safari with wheel mounted on the back, then it would have been durable.

That is my favorite Indian Suv until the Thar came out. Looks good in black and has nice audio as well.

Thread Starter #10

a bit more to add
1. The performance of m-Hawk engine has been commendable
2. Enough space in the 1st and 2nd rows for 5 people and if the last row is removed to liberate acres of space for practical usage as in my case.
3. With the third row fitted there is not even space for my Sub-woofer
4. AC very effective [ from blower position 2nd onwards gets louder ,I hardly need them to be to that extend though]
5. My iPod Classic and wify's iPhone 4S play good quality sound in the cabin thanks to Polk-Boston-Pioneer components with Amp and Sub-woofer. [need an external cable to connect iPod to HU though]
6. The fender mirror gives the vehicle the unique look and also very helpful while parking.

some more pictures of my scorpy
image002.jpg
taken in July 2009
92.jpg
taken in July 2009
121.jpg
taken in July 2012
122.jpg
taken in July 2012

[cheers]

Re: Pics of YOU!!

Hi there Manoj.

Welcome to TAI and to the hawk gang buddy.

My 4 year old hawk is still 3200 Kms away to complete its 50000 Kim's.

That was a brief and crisp report.

Mine is a pre refresh Scorpio Vlx.

After my purchase within 3 months the new version came without Micro hybrid.

Wish you any more miles of Happy & Safe Motoring.[:)]

Thread Starter #12
Re: Powered By M-Hawk: Mahindra Scorpio SLE. 3.5 Years and 50,000 Kms

to continue..

I recollect an incident with my Scorpy worth mentioning here. One day after a scheduled service at the ASS ,when I cranked the engine and in the idle-neutral mode I observed the left ORVM vibrating so bad that it was impossible to visualize objects in it. I got panic revved the engine to see the vibration stopped. Again came up in idle. The right ORVM was fine though. The engine noise was normal and also the RPM readings while driving. Next day ,as it was a pain seeing that vibrating ,I took it to the ASS and showed to them. They took it in and played with it for an hour or so. When it came back the vibration was reduced to near perfection. I was relieved but I observed some stuffing job on the ORVM, between the contact area and also under the fancy-chrome finish cover on it.[frustration]

chrome.png

I got back home. Next day when I started the engine it reappeared again. I wasted no time, rushed to the ASS went straight to senior manager and told him the fact that the problem appeared after a regular service there, bluntly and I have no more plan to live half my life at his ASS. He immediately called a few people and took the vehicle in once again. After about two hours of examination they came up to say that two of the four engine mounts are in bad condition and need to be replaced. They also said it is not covered in the extended warranty which was confirmed by Mahindra & Mahindra and at last I had to shell out about Rs 9.5k for a pair.

I got back the vehicle in the evening and the vibrations were reduced. I was still not completely satisfied and the next day I took it to another ASS in the next town and they casually said that is normal with all Scorpios. I had nothing to do but just to live with it even after spending around 10k the problem wasn’t completely rectified.

After about six months when I was doing a DIY job cleaning the exterior to get rid of all those minute greasy stuff one of that chrome cover came out. Then I thought to get rid of all those fancy chrome kit including on the door handles and the vehicle looked classy without those aftermarket chromes.

Now the funniest part of the whole story. [lol]

In that evening when I started the engine before a drive, noticed that the ORVM/s was free of any sort of vibrations. I couldn’t believe it. Was those crappy after market chrome covers were the culprit. I was so relieved that is now in perfect and enviable condition that I always wanted.

Then I thought why did I spend that 9.5k? Was that money wasted? What sort of examinations that the ASS technicians do in order to identify the root cause of an issue? Or am I an hyper auto enthusiast or a Neurotic perfectionist? [confused]

Thanks for reading.

to continue..

I recollect an incident with my Scorpy worth mentioning here. One day after a scheduled service at the ASS ,when I cranked the engine and in the idle-neutral mode I observed the left ORVM vibrating so bad that it was impossible to visualize objects in it. I got panic revved the engine to see the vibration stopped. Again came up in idle. The right ORVM was fine though. The engine noise was normal and also the RPM readings while driving. Next day ,as it was a pain seeing that vibrating ,I took it to the ASS and showed to them. They took it in and played with it for an hour or so. When it came back the vibration was reduced to near perfection. I was relieved but I observed some stuffing job on the ORVM, between the contact area and also under the fancy-chrome finish cover on it.[frustration]

View attachment 72923

I got back home. Next day when I started the engine it reappeared again. I wasted no time, rushed to the ASS went straight to senior manager and told him the fact that the problem appeared after a regular service there, bluntly and I have no more plan to live half my life at his ASS. He immediately called a few people and took the vehicle in once again. After about two hours of examination they came up to say that two of the four engine mounts are in bad condition and need to be replaced. They also said it is not covered in the extended warranty which was confirmed by Mahindra & Mahindra and at last I had to shell out about Rs 9.5k for a pair.

I got back the vehicle in the evening and the vibrations were reduced. I was still not completely satisfied and the next day I took it to another ASS in the next town and they casually said that is normal with all Scorpios. I had nothing to do but just to live with it even after spending around 10k the problem wasn’t completely rectified.

After about six months when I was doing a DIY job cleaning the exterior to get rid of all those minute greasy stuff one of that chrome cover came out. Then I thought to get rid of all those fancy chrome kit including on the door handles and the vehicle looked classy without those aftermarket chromes.

Now the funniest part of the whole story. [lol]

In that evening when I started the engine before a drive, noticed that the ORVM/s was free of any sort of vibrations. I couldn’t believe it. Was those crappy after market chrome covers were the culprit. I was so relieved that is now in perfect and enviable condition that I always wanted.

Then I thought why did I spend that 9.5k? Was that money wasted? What sort of examinations that the ASS technicians do in order to identify the root cause of an issue? Or am I an hyper auto enthusiast or a Neurotic perfectionist? [confused]

Thanks for reading.
Oh man, you have been royally fleeced by the Service centre.
Which dealership??

The engine mounts needs change only after 1.5 lacs kms and above.

The engine mount won't go bad.

If I were you i would have asked for diagonisis on what went wrong.
I would have blasted them straight away.

Do follow 10,000 kms interval of engine oil change.

There is absolute no vibration of mirrors.

Thread Starter #14

Oh man, you have been royally fleeced by the Service centre.
Which dealership??

The engine mounts needs change only after 1.5 lacs kms and above.

The engine mount won't go bad.

If I were you i would have asked for diagonisis on what went wrong.
I would have blasted them straight away.

Do follow 10,000 kms interval of engine oil change.

There is absolute no vibration of mirrors.
I realise now. It was ITL palakkad.
But now everything is fine and no vibrations at all

I realise now. It was ITL palakkad.
But now everything is fine and no vibrations at all
as a thumb rule.

when in doubt always ask your queries through mail to the customercare.

see how your problems get solved in the matter of minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom