A Petrol Heads Dream: Honda City SMT

Thread Starter #1
A Petrol Heads Dream: Honda City Ivtec

Today i got the delivery of my shining new Honda City from Pearl Honda Gurgaon. I would actually recommend Ring Road Honda if you can do without offers. Talking about offers,I got a free insurance as part of Hondas festive celebrations,parking sensors and Seat covers WHICH ARE YET TO BE DELIVERED. These are the cars I considered:

1. Volkswagen Vento Petrol Highline: its quality was better than the city and also were the Features. IMO it was more value for money and the new one is now cheaper. But its petrol engine was quite sluggish and was not good in dynamics department compared to the city.

2. Hyundai Verna: that car is fully loaded. Very loaded to the boot. Name a feature and the verna has got it. But again its dynamics were a problem and so was the ultra light steering wheel.

3. Ford Fiesta: it drives better than the City and is also pretty loaded but i did not like the way it looks and was quite expensive.

4. Mitsubishi Cedia Sports: its got a MOMO sports steering wheel. Its actually a stripped down Lancer Evolution 6. But Mitsubishi does not even have a dealer in Gurgaon. Huge turnoff. Best value for money in this class and was EPIC to drive. Performance is not as good as the city but aftermarket mods are available. I LOVE THE CEDIA but no dealer means taking it to Delhi for servicing so no Cedia .

So went with the City. As for the model,I wanted the alloys in SMT so went for S and not V. Would prefer V though.
My laptop broke so I could not update my ownership. Sorry.

City EPIC.jpg
Today I went to reliance Auto to get some accessories for my car. I was looking for scratch protectors on doors which they did not have in stock. So I bought Ipop to substitute them.
city P1.jpg
City p2.jpg
Interior:
city Interior.jpg
The interior of the city is a nice place to be in. It is sporty and luxurious at the same time. Quality is not a benchmark but at some places its even better than a laura. The face lift Ivtecs interior is much better than the older one. Chrome looks really nice.
city EW.jpg
The quality of the switches for example is not up to the mark.
city Audio.jpg
The usb/aux port inside the head unit. That IMO looks quite cool.
City speedo.jpg
The face lift also has a blue combination speedometer which is WAY better than the orange lit one. Its giving me 10.3 kmpl which should improve after service.
City key.jpg
The key is quite dated now and doesn't have a button to open boot which is quite useful.
city rim.jpg
The alloys are the mail reason why is chose the SMT model and not the V. The tires dont have adequate grip and are quite skinny.

So why did I chose the city?
The city has the best blend of performance and comfort. Its easily the fastest and has good ride/handling. It has lots of space and nice interiors. And that engine is a dream. And IMO it looks the best.

Plus points:
>It is a fast car. The IVtec is silky smooth,high revving and fuel efficient too.
>Good resale value and has most of the features need.
>It looks quite futuristic and sporty.
>It has good space inside.
> It has good after sales service.
> Easy and a great car to drive in town.
> Good safety features.
> Has a good image.

Negatives:
> It is lacking some features like electrically folding mirrors.
> Cost-cutting is visible.
> I had a poor experience with the dealer.
>Not value for money.

P.S. sorry for the pictures resolution I cant figure the Lumias camera. Any suggestions?
Will update more info later.

Attachments

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new City! Indeed, ivtec engine is a pleasure to drive and just that can be enough to swing people's opinion in favour of the City! Like you, I too prefer the alloys of S MT but went ahead anyway with a V MT.

Today I went to reliance Auto to get some accessories for my car. I was looking for scratch protectors on doors which they did not have in stock. So I bought Ipop to substitute them.........
......The alloys are the mail reason why is chose the SMT model and not the V. The tires dont have adequate grip and are quite skinny.
Sorry, I didn't quite figure the Ipop thing in place of scratch protectors.:stupid: Could you explain?
Also, did you have any specific bad experience with the tyres? I'd been wanting Michellins on my City but got them with Goodyears. Was in two mind whether to change them or not! Sitting on the fence right now. So far, road noise has been the only problem that I faced. Don't know about ride since I haven't ridden a City with other tyres.

Congratz for your new buy. I love the color you selected on Honda City.

But one thing I don't understand that you have that this car is not VFM.[surprise]. Could you please elaborate more on this?

Thread Starter #6
Congratulations on your new City! Indeed, ivtec engine is a pleasure to drive and just that can be enough to swing people's opinion in favour of the City! Like you, I too prefer the alloys of S MT but went ahead anyway with a V MT.

Sorry, I didn't quite figure the Ipop thing in place of scratch protectors.:stupid: Could you explain?
Also, did you have any specific bad experience with the tyres? I'd been wanting Michellins on my City but got them with Goodyears. Was in two mind whether to change them or not! Sitting on the fence right now. So far, road noise has been the only problem that I faced. Don't know about ride since I haven't ridden a City with other tyres.
The Ipop protects the door from a hit to the wall or any other object next to the car. As for the tires, yes they are do have a lot of road noise but the main problem is the grip. I want wider tires and for that I have to change the alloys.

Congratz for your new buy. I love the color you selected on Honda City.

But one thing I don't understand that you have that this car is not VFM.[surprise]. Could you please elaborate more on this?
Thanks dharmesh. Its not VFM compared to the Verna or Vento. They get a lot of kit for their price. But the EMT is a lot of value.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
congrats on the honda city [;)] well i read your review and wanted to ask a few questions.

every manufacturer has done some cost cutting. i myself have a verna and cost cutting is visible that's why it has lots of features.

so how honda has done cost cutting ? if you want i'll tell you the cost cutting in verna.

and about not being a vfm. don't just compare cars on the basis of features [:)] honda city was a hit in it's time. so just get aftermarket accessories and your city won't trouble you with anything.

the engine and quality is top notch.

Thread Starter #8
Additional information:

Technical specs:

Engine- 1.5L inline-4,naturally aspirated.
Power: 118 HP @5900RPM
Torque: 150 NM @ 4600 RPM
Transmission: 5 speed synchronized.
Brakes: Front Ventilated Discs
Rear Drum.
Suspension- Front McPherson Strut,Coil Springs with stabilizer.
Rear Torrision Beam Axle with stabilizer,coil springs.
Steering- Rack and Pinion,Electronic Power Steering
Turning Radius :5.3.
Tyres - 175/65 R15(Tubeless)

Weight - 1100 Kg(SMT)

Features(SMT)
-Electric windows
-Power steering
-Alloy Wheels
-Colored handles and mirrors.
-Electrically adjustable mirrors .
-Audio player with four speakers,Usb and Aux port.
- Front seat height adjuster
-Steering mounted audio controls

Colour: Urban titanium Metallic.

Safety:
- Dual SRS airbags, ABS,EBD(electronic break distribution).(ALL MODELS)
- GCON.

Price: 9.4 lacs on-road gurgaon after offer.(SMT)
Offers: Some freebies and free insurance worth 25000. Also loyalty bonus worth another 25000.

About the car:
The face lift for the city was recently a couple of years back. It had some minor cosmetic changes to the interior and exterior. It is sold in Australia and many other developing countries in Asia.
The city is based on the Jazz and caries the same engine from the American jazz(Fit). The original city was a budget performance hatchback and was only sold in Japan.
Ratings:

Looks: 9/10 looks sporty and modern.Even though there are a lot of them on the road, still looks fresh.

Performance: 8/10: Ivtec is an able performer and pulls up nicely all the way to red line. But the good old Vtec is perfect.

Ride and handling:8/10 Good and stable ride with decent handling.

Refinement: 9/10 The engine is refined but there is some road noise.

Quality: 7/10 the build is good but cost cutting is visible.

Pics:
City badge.jpg
city cleaner.jpg
Got some products to clean(wax,scratch remover and interior shine)

city head light.jpg
Headlights are not powerful enough. Might go for HID.

city wheel steer.jpg
Steering wheel is nice to hold and nicely designed.

city ipop.jpg
They look bad but had to get them.

city ovrm.jpg
Should have been electrically retractable, have to get out to close them.

front legroom.jpg
city rear seat space.jpg
Lots of legroom with the front seat fully adjusted backwards. I am 6'5 and i am able to fit.

city mats.jpg
Got these plastic mats.
parkingsensor.jpg
Parking sensor important.

Freebies: Seat covers(yet to be delivered) and parking-sensors.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
congrats on the honda city [;)] well i read your review and wanted to ask a few questions.

every manufacturer has done some cost cutting. i myself have a verna and cost cutting is visible that's why it has lots of features.

so how honda has done cost cutting ? if you want i'll tell you the cost cutting in verna.

and about not being a vfm. don't just compare cars on the basis of features [:)] honda city was a hit in it's time. so just get aftermarket accessories and your city won't trouble you with anything.

the engine and quality is top notch.
Thanks!Yeah please tell me how [:)]. You can get aftermarket fitment but it voids warranty. As for VFM, my friend has a preface-lift ivtec which is as expensive as this and its the top of the line VMT

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
yeah i myself didn't add any electronic accessory just because of the warranty.

also for how much you got that reverse parking sensors ? is it with camera or just beep beep ? i have factory installed sensors but no camera.

so back to cost cutting , you didn't tell me what cost cutting honda has done , please do tell.

verna's cost cutting - pathetic front bumper quality. just a normal heat and it'll tear apart.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...dai-verna-fluidic-1-6-vtvt-30.html#post184268

2. see these panel gaps[sleep]
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...dai-verna-fluidic-1-6-vtvt-10.html#post159763

Thread Starter #12
The parking sensors were free. Only beep no camera. The cost cutting is visible in small things like some plastics, the bulbs for lighting the number plate are visible through the boot, no button for boot release etc.

Thread Starter #15
the phone is 3 days old so I guess the problem is something else? Btw its a Lumia 800,anyone has a lumia? Help please, I want to increase the resolution. And I checked out the pics of the Verna. There are no gaps in the city or exposed holes but its still not as good as the Vento or City ZX.

Last edited:

Top Bottom