My New Honda Brio SMT

Thread Starter #1
Please refer to my first post here to know a little bit of history behind the purchase

Was so amazed to see so many Fans of Brio at one place that immediately registered and posted this message :)

My daily ride is a Safari. Right in front of my office, Chennai Metro Rail has setup their drilling station and thus the entire front entrance of the building is blocked. Only a small pathway to enter and exit the building has been created and that pathway is too small for my Safari :( and thus for the past 3 months, I have been using my family's trusty 8 year old Wagon R.

The Metro guys seem to be in no hurry to leave and it means that I require a smaller call for quite some time in the future for my office commute. The wagon R had no specific problems but it shows age and the ride was very bumpy which gets un comfortable at times.So I decided to bid adieu to the Wagon R and switch to another small car.

My requirements were simple
1)Budget: Sub 5 lakhs - this means that I most probably wouldn't get a (quality) diesel car, except maybe the beat. But there is already a beat in the house.
2) Power Windows
3) Power Mirrors: Crackpots in the office parking keep fouling with the mirror adjustments always. So I needed it
4) Decent FE
5) Steering control for Music (nice to have)

I created a spreadsheet to compare all the cars within the 5 lakh budget and their variants and features and guess which car fit perfectly in? The Brio Of course ;)

To be honest, I am a big hater of the Brio's styling and not a Honda fan boy either. But the sheer VFM of the car made me research on it quite a bit and I learned that it has impressed and pleased almost everybody who drove it / own it. So I went for a TD and was pretty impressed with the build quality, fit & finish, the engine and everything else. I am 6ft 3in and weigh a little over 100k and I could fit in comfortably and also did not end up shouldering the co-passenger which usually happens when I get into a small car. So eventually, I decided that with so many positives the eyesore styling can be easily ignored (and also I guess the styling slowly grows up into you and you get used to it).

And thus I bit the bullet and booked a SMT - Urban Titanium. Got free insurance + 12.5k discount + 5k accessories. Hopefully the car should be delivered immediately after Diwali. Will keep the thread updated when I get my hands on the car.
Got my "urban titanium" Brio SMT delivered on the 19th. I've driven around 70 Kms over the week and I love the car and cherish every moment driving it. I am very proud and happy that I took a wonderful decision with the purchase and I am sure, I will continue cherishing the ownership of the car for several years to come.

Quite a lot of Brio owners here have written their positive ownership reviews and experiences with their car and thus all of us know what the Brio excels in and what everybody loves in the car. Such reviews greatly influenced my buying decision.
And so, I thought, for a change, that I would wear a critique's hat and place a few interesting (may be already known) facts that I discovered during the first week with the car.

Huge gap in the glove compartment cover: The rest of the car's fit and finish is exceptional. Best in class. But there is a huge gap in the glove compartment cover. This is a big eye-sore. Now that I have noticed it, I keep seeing it :(
image002.jpg

Badly finished wiper stalks: The rear of the wiper stalks where your fingers gets in contact is unfinished and very rough.
image003.jpg

Cheeky door handles: I understand the "V" model gets a different handle. But the lower models have inside handles which are much lower quality, shiny and cheap looking compared to the plastics in the rest of the car.
image004.jpg

Steering wheel design and horn: The steering wheel has a nice feel to it but it’s badly designed I feel. It’s very difficult to sound the horn with the hand on the steer. Am barely able to reach the horn with the thumb and unless you have a super powerful thumb, you need to take your hand off the steering to sound the horn. The design is as such, the steer spokes are also very thick so holding the spokes and driving also is not possible. This is a big issue for me. Views?
image001.jpg

Steering audio controls not illuminated: In the first week of ownership, when driving at night, I always kept confused between the volume and track + / - switches. These switches are kept very close to each other and it’s very easy to press the wrong switch without any illumination

Illuminated power windows: Same case as the steering control they are not illuminated. It’s so easy and cheap to illuminate these switches since they are receiving power (current) already, all that's needed are some cheap LEDs to be shoved in. This is a must have which is missing.
image005.jpg

OE music system button illumination: When the headlights are switched off, the illumination for the music system buttons goes off, the LCD display however remains illuminated. The buttons need to stay on permanently like that of the dash or just fade off after sometime. The first few days, when I wanted to switch off the music system after switching off the headlights, I couldn't locate the power button.

Rear top stop light: Notice how, the stop light is so big , has giant sized screws and does not sit, flush in with the body of the car!. Definitely borrowed from some other car. This stop light is not made for Brio, must be from the CRV or some other big vehicle.
image008.jpg

No dead pedal: This is no biggie, but an irritant. But thankfully there is lot of space to rest the left foot on the floor besides the brake. So there is some solace there.
image007.jpg

No distance to empty: The instrumentation is all there. The car gauges the mileage and fuel left. All that's left is just a simple formula to calculate distance to empty and display. Don't know how this was missed. But however I am really grateful for the mileage indicator which I guess none of the other cars in this class have?

Small inside rear view mirror: I don't know if there is any standard size for inside rear view mirror, but the one in the Brio does not exploit the huge glass tail gate of the car. There is at least 5-6 inches on either side of the transparent rear neither covered by the rear view mirror nor the outside mirrors thus causing blind spots on both sides. A larger mirror, maybe 2-3 inches longer would have solved this issue easily. Maybe, one needs to clip on the convex rear view mirrors on the OE, but the problem is convex disables the day-night functionality of the OE mirrors :(

No remote lock beep: I thought the Hondas characteristically beep their horns when locked. But the Brio is mute. Every time I lock the car, need to turn around and see if the light blinks to ensure it's locked. Thankfully, the remote has a dedicated lock and unlock button, unlike in some cars, where it’s just a toggle switch and many times one gets confused if the car was just locked or unlocked!

Hazard light switch: This is a toggle switch and there is no way to know that if it’s on or off. This should illuminate and blink when the hazard light is on. There is a subtle beep from the blinkers, but this sound is lost in traffic and/or music noise.
image006.jpg

Two free services: I felt kind of cheated seeing this. All other cars I owned had at least 3 free services. Safari, the extreme one, has 5 free services I think. Two free services which may be exhausted in the first couple of months itself by many are a little too little.

Other items that already widely discussed...

No rear wash wipe: Me, living in Chennai, I really don't need a defogger. But a wash wipe is a must-must.

Stone-age radio antenna: I guess Honda hand few thousand of these antennas remaining un-used from the old (first version) City and they decided to use it here :)
image009.jpg

I understand that this is "made to a cost" car, but most of these points which I have raised are not necessarily going to cost much to fix and fixing these may bring about even more refinement and finesse to the already most refined car (in its class and price range IMHO).

Honda recently raised the price of the SMT by 11k (in Chennai) for just adding the power mirrors and a pair of rubber mud flaps for the rear tires. Customers do not mind this and they still buy the car, because even after the 11k rise, this car still remains huge VFM when compared to any other car in the market. So even if fixing these minor points is going to increase the cost of the car by another 11k, I am sure customers won’t really mind and this increase in quality and comfort will result in even more customers, I feel.

Some simple surprises I really loved.....

Excellent OEM music system: Good bass, good treble, but slightly weak mid (which one can live with). Surprising performance for an OEM one. I thought, the OEM music system of the figo was very good, but this equals it. But of course this does not have the bells and whistles such as bluetooth, volume increase in high speeds and of course CD player which the Figo has but the Brio's music system does what a music system need to do perfectly, sound decently good. I guess just removing the OE speakers, especially in the front and replacing them with components will make the sound Q even better.

The illumination of the dial and cabin lights: I love the way, the permanently illuminated dials fade off and the cabin lights fade in when you turn off the vehicle. Such a pleasant "Welcome home" sign when you park the vehicle and switch it off at the end of a busy day.

One Question for fellow owners / experts

I have been trying to decipher the logic behind the "ECO" light, but am clueless till date. It definitely is not based just on RPM i.e. keeping the RPM low. If that's the case, the ECO light should come on when I up-shift to say 4th gear when I am doing 20 Kms, but it does not do so. Any logic on how the ECO indication works?

Long Post. Hope you had the patience to read it ;) Comments and feedback on my observation most welcome! Cheers!!

Last edited:
Please refer to my first post here to know a little bit of history behind the purchase

Got my "urban titanium" Brio SMT delivered on the 19th. I've driven around 70 Kms over the week and I love the car and cherish every moment driving it. I am very proud and happy that I took a wonderful decision with the purchase and I am sure, I will continue cherishing the ownership of the car for several years to come...
I toyally agree with your all points mentioned above.
I must say you have good noticing power!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice and unbiased review mate. What is the color you opted for?

And regarding Horn, the same is with Punto and Swift as well. Horn is placed at the center, So one needs to have extra long thumb or get used to it. [:D]

Congrats on your brio buddy.Btw is any varient of brio have Airbags+ABS feature?
post some pics of outside of the car also.

Congratulations Spikedsoda. Brio is really Awesome. Took Test Drive last Thursday and boy it is in fact best car under 6 lakhs. Post more pictures of Exterior.

Your attention to details is immaculate in this review, well written post and a big congrat's for buying a wonderful car.

Thread Starter #8
Thanks all for your wishes. Much appreciated.

Ha! One more thing I noticed today and it’s a big inconvenience. The vizor on the driver side does not have a sleeve or a pocket to keep the car documents. This is something standard found in all cars. I am sure even the Nano has this but don't know why, this was missed out. Now need to keep it in the glove compartment :(

Btw is any varient of brio have Airbags+ABS feature?
Yes, the SMT (O) variant has both airbags and ABS.

Very nice and unbiased review mate. What is the color you opted for?
"Urban Titanium" - It’s the name of the color :)

Last edited:
Thanks for your review..
I just want to check if your variant is of latest one with SMT, called S'MT ? There is difference in total cost about 13K.. I was also told by dealer that power mirror option is available only with S'MT & above & not with SMT..

Thanks for your review..
I just want to check if your variant is of latest one with SMT, called S'MT ? There is difference in total cost about 13K.. I was also told by dealer that power mirror option is available only with S'MT & above & not with SMT..
Electric Mirror Adjust was added to SMT when Honda launched BRIO Automatic. If the Dealer is giving 13k discount then i am sure they are trying to sell old stock SMT. If they are asking 13k more then it is the New SMT. I too checked this with my local dealer and in the price list they mentioned the following prices

Variant Price
S MT 453900
S MT(spl) 466000

So do check out that Electric Mirror Adjustments are provided and if Airbags are missing then Surely that model is new SMT (13k Extra) variant.

Thread Starter #12
So do check out that Electric Mirror Adjustments are provided and if Airbags are missing then Surely that model is new SMT (13k Extra) variant.
Yes, I got the one with the power mirrors only. I was offered 17.5 cash discount for SMT without power mirrors. They call the SMT with power mirrors as SMT "Enrich" . I don't know if it’s a company wide terminology or just used by the dealer

Last edited:
Yes, I got the one with the power mirrors only. I was offered 17.5 cash discount for SMT without power mirrors. They call the SMT with power mirrors as SMT "Enrich" . I don't know if it’s a company wide terminology or just used by the dealer
Welcome 2 the Honda brio mate.
I also have the Urban titanium color but the V(mt) model, supposedly the top end model.

There are other odd things:
1. The driver illumination lite is somewhere in the middle, whereas all the cars that i have seen they have it near the driver.
i have to lean back to turn them on, when needed.

2. Cant c the bonnet. I come from the santro zamana [;)] and this is a huge problem.
In bang, where there is bumper 2 bumper traffic, its vital to ensure that we maintain distance btwn vehicles ahead, in order not to hit/ get hit [cry]

3. The ac is ok, and its nothing great. i felt even tata nano has a stronger AC.

4. Lite throwback sucks big time, i oft have to swtich betwen hi and low beam to avoid hitting potholes/bump.

i am planning to get osram/Philips light extendor to correct this issue

My Honda Brio got brushed by a BMTC bus and as a result the left side view mirror cap crushed. Any idea how much would the mirror cost? Would I get just the cap alone?

IMAG0213.jpg

Top Bottom