Chevrolet Spark 30,000 Km Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
Chevrolet Spark 30,000Km Ownership review
--------------------------------------------------

Please note that this review reflects JUST MY perspective on cars and on Chevrolet Spark. It is by no means the "Standard".
This is also my first review, I didnt find many in Ownership reviews thread, so I've decided to write one.

And as it is more than 2 years since I've purchased this vehicle, I've decided to title the thread as "Chevrolet Spark 30,000 KM Ownership review"

Snapshot of the Vehicle
------------------------

Model - Chevrolet Spark LS
Year of Mfg - 2010
Purchase Date - Sep 2010
Color - Velvet Red
Price - 3,83,000/-

Accessories
------------
Seat Covers - Dual Tone Red/Beige - Chevrolet Original(Thats what the dealer said)
Side Beading
Antenna - Although it is not connected to anything
Steering Cover - Black leather
Dashboard - Fake Wooden Trims
Rear Parcel Tray - Not the Parcel Shelf that you get in LT.
Music Player - Sony USB Capable

Ownership Stats
-----------
Odo Reading - 29000 something
Servicings - 5(Free)
Wheel Alignment/Balancing - 3(Free)
Fuel Efficiency City(AC/Non-AC) - 14/15
Fuel Efficiency Highway(AC) - 15
Tyres - Nitrogen always(Free)

Things that I've always wanted to get
-------------------------------------
Red Fabric inserts(Just hate the default ones)
Alloys
Boot Lamp
Under Dash LED
Blue Lights in Console instead of Green
Body Colored Handles, OSRVMs

Now to the review

Exterior
--------
No matter what others tell me, Spark, to me will always feel like it is made for the female species.
May be because of its smooth round curves. The car looks good when viewed from the front and the side, but Chevrolet got it horribly wrong when it comes to the rear.
The round lamps at the rear are a big disappointment. The Fuel Tank is to the right side of the vehicle, but thats not a problem for me since this is my first car and I have no "Compatibility issues".
The car looks a bit small when viewed from the outside(but dont let that fool you), has a decent ground clearance and a good height.

All in all, nothing much to talk about when it comes to the exterior. I can only talk as a customer and I am really not qualified to speak about the pros/cons this car has when it comes to technicalities.

Interior
--------
I absolutely love the Beige interiors. I was bored seeing the black/grey interiors for all my life. This was a fresh sight.
Agreed, the dash causes reflections on the windsheild, but its only a matter of time and you get adjusted to it and it doesnt affect my dirving in any way at all.
More than once, people told me that they were very surprised when they step inside this car. I've heard people exclaiming number of times "Didnt think it was this spacious at all"
I am not talking about Swift or Vista like experience, but its just that the perception that people have when they look at the car from outside completely goes for a toss.
I am 5-10 and I have no issues getting in and out of the car. Initially, I had problems with my left foot touching the dashboard.
Spark has a relatively smaller boot compared to other cars in its league. I can hardly fit 2 Big Suitcases in it when my Mom comes back from Bangalore.
The front seats have head rests which are adjustable, The model I purchased (LS) doesnt have provison to put Head rests at the back. That is a downside.
But the seating at the rear doesnt feel claustrophobic at all. The windows are of decent size, although the glass doesnt go down all the way, which is common to most of the hatchbacks.
The front Seats do not offer thigh support which can cause problems on long drives. Coming to the A/c in the car, I'd really like to meet the engineer who designed the position of the Vents.
The 3rd Vent from the Left is almost just behind the steering wheel and having it open will only cool your left hand down :).
I have no complaints to make about the positioning of the ABC pedals since this is my first car and I've tuned myself to suit it. Although, I test drove few other cars where I felt that they were lot more comfortable.
One thing I really like abt this vehicle is, there are so many pockets where you can just stuff all the cosmetics of your wife :).
The Console is mounted on the centre and it still gets amusing looks when people step into my car for the first time. I've added the fake wooden trims to the dashboard at the time of purchasing.
They looked way better than having just the black The Gear Shaft is a bit longer than I would have liked, but hey, you get what you pay for.

Performance
------------
Gear Shaft - The gears were all "hard" for the first 5000 kms. But now, everything is smooth. works like a charm. Theres a problem with the reverse gear. This started appearing recently. Sometimes when I put the car in reverse, I feel a very slight jerk just like you get with old two wheelers when you put the bike in first gear.
I have to get it checked out at the Service centre.

Clutch - When I purchased the vehicle, The engine used to give different sound when I held the clutch down in neutral. I drove the vehicle like this for the first 15000Km.
The repairman at the Service center found this to be a problem in one of the test drives that he did. I always thought this was normal. They've corected that problem.
Another problem I've noticed is the Accelarator pedal used to "Pulsate" at one point, but after the servicing, it got corrected. The Service folks didnt give me a satisfactory reply as to what was done to correct it. But I was happy as I did not see it again

Steering - The ugliest looking part in Spark should be steering. I dont know why they had to put a Giant Wheel for a steering. It must be mentioned that Chevrolet Spark has a power steering, but its not an electronic one.
Its a Hydraulic Power Steering as compared to Maruthis where they have Electronic Power Steering. So if you've driven an Alto or a WagonR and you expect the same in Spark, then you are in for a disappointment.
Neverthless for first timers it doesnt make any difference.

A/c - Not the best in class. Cools down the cabin eventually, but again comparing it to other vehicles I've driven, it takes time to do it.
For a driver like me, this is enough since the car is mostly used by me and my wife. Again, watch out for the wierd positioning of the 3rd Vent :)
Having the A/c switched on and trying to accelerate brings down the power considerably, but thats common with all small cars.

Controls - All the controls are "reverse" compared to Maruthi. You have the Indicator lever on the left side and wiper blade lever on the right side. Even the A/c controls are opposite to what you find in a Maruthi.

Fuel Efficiency - Most of my driving is in City and always with A/c. The last time I checked the car had a mileage of
City (A/c) - 13~14
Highway (A/c) - 14.6
The highway trip was with 5 ppl in the car and a baby with considerable baggage in the boot. This was atleast 6 months ago. Never checked in after that.

Driving Experience - This is a small car and I love it driving inside the city. Slides into tight corners easily, makes neat U-turns(good turning radius) and absolutely zero cabin noise.
I love this car for that. Many times when we change drivers, friends accidentally turn the ignition on again thinking that the engine is powered down.

Servicing and Dealership Experience
------------------------------------
Dealership - Dealership folks treat you like a king looking to buy a Rolls.
In contrast, you step into a maruti dealership, they sit with you for 5 mins, scribble a quotation, wave it in your face and disappear to service another customer.
I know no one buys a car just because they've been treated royally, but its all part of the experience you go though when you step into a chevrolet dealership.
After 2 years, the agent who sold me the car still remembers me and clarifies any questions I might have even today.
Okay, I'll stop before some one says that I am being paid to advertise on behalf of Chevrolet :)

Servicing - Mixed feelings. You will have to keep nagging them to get results. But now, the process is much more thorough. They offer to test ride the vehicle to see if everythings all right before you leave the vehicle at the station.
Thats how one of the problems I had got corrected.
Parts that I've got replaced till date
1. Wiper Blades - 2 times
2. Some Ball bearings for the clutch noise when the vehicle was in neutral
3. Back bumper - This is purely due to the many idiots driving on roads these days. No fault of car/dealership/service center

Problems I forsee
1. Rusting of the exhaust
2. Plastic on the Door handles losing its black color. They are becoming white :(

Overall Rating
--------------
I personally believe that any car cannot be given a specific rating. Rating is always a perspective. Not the standard.
People who want to buy a spark will just have to go throuh all the content available on the internet and not depend on some ratings that websites provide.
For that matter, when buying any car please do not depend on anything that websites that "give" as ratings.
Although, you have to read why they arrived at that rating because there are lot of things that are considered when they give that rating like safety, comfort, specifications etc and decide.

If you are still reading, thanks for your time..
Pics to follow....

Thread Starter #2
I just re-read what I wrote and I missed so many points. Will add when I have time. Right now, the bed looks cozy and I cannot ignore its call any longer.
Good night folks!!

Ad!tya

Suspended
A very nicely written report of the spark, buddy!
Awaiting the pics. Without seeing any pic also, I bet it would look hot as any other red spark on road! Also, your Avatar pic looks nice.
Lastly, congrats on the spark! :stupid:

Very nice review of your spark .

I myself have the same model ls , but in black colour and is 2008 made car running fine with no problems so far touch wood .

Thread Starter #8
A very nicely written report of the spark, buddy!
Awaiting the pics. Without seeing any pic also, I bet it would look hot as any other red spark on road! Also, your Avatar pic looks nice.
Lastly, congrats on the spark! :stupid:
Thank you Aditya. Doesnt beat ur avatar...urs is way cooler. anyways, thats my interior.

Very nice review of your spark .

I myself have the same model ls , but in black colour and is 2008 made car running fine with no problems so far touch wood .
Thank you Raja. Love the black Spark. It "Sparkles"

Nice review please do add some photo's for reader's delight[;)]
Thank you Visran, Will definately add photos.

Thread Starter #11
Nice review TDK Bro.Spark looks very cute.Design is one heck to look.

Hats off to you TDK!!!
Thank you Music_Swift

Uploading pics taken from my mobile

Attachments

arre wah. It is looking stunning with the wooden finish. I guess, this pics need to be sent at my home so that they can also do some beautification of Spark LS. My car is just a stock one, not even music player my dad has put.I take inspiration from your Spark and will do some justification when I will go home.

Hope the interiors are not having Patent [:)]

Thread Starter #14
So, Now that I've uploaded pics, I will mention some points that I forgot to write in the original review.

The interior has Beige colored FootMats. This is both good and bad, because while they match the overall interior, they become dusty and change color often. You will have to dust them regularly.

I've specifically asked the Showroom when I took delivery 2 years back, to find me speakers that can fit in the slots provided at the rear. They couldnt find 340w speakers that could fit there. So I made the decision of getting 120w too for the rear. Check the pics.
A decision, which I regretted at first, but like I mentioned the review, its only me and my wife in the car 99% of the time and we're not too particular about having loud music in the car.
So, they serve the purpose and allows me the freedom of having a clutter free parcel tray. This also allows me to completely remove the tray without any problems whenever there is huge amount of luggage on trips.

I have to get the Steering Cover changed to Beige n Red combination one. One of my friends has this in his spark. Really suits the interior. My black one looks ugly.

If I ever pluck up the courage to rip apart and get dirty to change things myself in my car, I'd like to change the fabric inserts in the doors to match the red color on the seats.

Also the Gear lever leather which is black should be changed to suit the red in the seats.

I'd like to get some bulbs fitted in the Fog lamps assembly. I dont like seeing the empty sockets there. We dont need Fog lamps in Hyderabad, so any bulbs should server the purpose.

In the pic that shows the boot, you can see a small rectangular hole in the panel to the left. I pried out a small covering there. It was originally meant for a boot lamp. Apparently matiz has it because I've seen this in Matiz/Spark Service Manual that I found on the Internet. Dont know why they gave the provision for the lamp, but not use it.

Thats not the only thing that is present in the Spark but not used. There is a Seat Belt warning alert icon in the console, but it doesnt function.

Thats all for now folks

-TDK (u guys nicknamed me)

TDK [I remember old TDK audio cassetes]

I think I can cut, copy and paste this content in different name as "One Year Ownership review of my sparky". you have mentioned all the points mentioned what ever i wanted to put it in.

Even if i right one on my own I think it might be duplicate post[lol].

You sparky looks great.

Top Bottom