MY TINY - Maruti 800 Ownership Experience!!

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

Here I go with my first ownership writeup on MY FIRST CAR sweetly called MY TINY - Maruti 800.

I own a yamaha gladiator and was very happy with it since i bought it in 2008.

But after i got married, to fit everyone in my family needed a car desperately to go anywhere, though had 3 two wheelers at home. One my Gladi, one my brother's honda Twister and my Dad's TVS excel super. To accommodate everyone for a function or a small outing needed a car. Thats when I thought of going for a car but was not at all aware of driving. Then one day all of a sudden, had a chat with my uncle and decided to go for a second hand one initially to learn driving and then probably think of going for a new car.

So, my search started. My uncle's friend who was a doctor had his FORD ICON, petrol - 2003 model, single owner, 58 k on odo for sale. Once my uncle told this, I was quite tempted at the price 1.1 lakh. Discussed with the family, everyone were very happy with the vehicle. As i was not aware of driving then, called up my friend to just have a test drive and he was also pretty impressed with the maintanence of the car and said you can blindly go but he told me to think about the price and maintanence. Yes, that was when I started to google, discuss with friends and browse hours together to build my knowledge about the cars. Then had couple of chats with my friends and came to a conclusion to go with it.

After the discussion, as was just started to know about cars, wanted a mechanic to certify the car if it is good (though i trusted my friend's word, did not want to bare more maintanence cost after a buy) so called up the ford service station at St mark's road, booked an appointment on a saturday morning. As things went fine, he too gave me a green signal.

Then, confirmed the deal with uncle and went with the money to get the car delivered.

But, destiny was different. The doctor who was the owner of the car was expecting a delivery of his new car, but he was informed that the delivery of the new car would be delayed by another 20 days or so.

I Was badly disappointed and Somehow, I felt as always everything happens for good. Still said for myself ok, will wait.

After fifteen days, by spending time chatting, discussing, browsing about the cars, looking at the second hand car markets, quotes on the different brands of cars at sulekha.com, quickr.com, other sites and few chats with the second hand dealers directly changed my mind set a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Myself Gave a thought about budget, periodical maintenance, mileage, resale value and came to a logical conclusion saying ford icon is not for me now (though its car which any
one in fall in love with its drive) told my uncle about dropping my idea of going for ford icon.

Actual story is now, sorry for me being so lengthy but just wanted to put everything which my heart and mind is throwing out :-)

Meanwhile, going though and knowing things about car, i had enrolled for driving classes.

So, after every bit of detail i had about the car, all things in mind came to a conclusion that I need to go for a reliable car which has made thousands and thousands of familes smiled - MARUTI SUZUKI 800. Started, checking the second hand sites and did enquire couple of owners.

First owner was white colour Maruti 800, which was 96 model and had 68 k on odo quoted me 65,000. I said okay, will come and meet you and went me and wife to have a look at it (as i was not completely aware of driving still, the owner took a short drive). But all the tyres required a replacement, So dropped that idea.

Second one was at bannerghatta road, blue colour 94 model, quoted me 60 k which was 70 k plus on odo. Car was neat and clean without dents, but this time had been with my same friend and test drived it. But, he did not suggest to go with as it looked too pricy.

So, thought myself that why to take risk and go for a true value and have a check once. So, callled up Bimal maruti near mahadeva pura and enquired about second hand maruti 800's. Visited and had a look at few cars. One of the guy who was briefing about cars gave me option of streching my budget more by 1 lakh and find a good ZEN OR ALTO. But I had made my mind this time, that If i go I would want my first car to be Maruti 800 only.

Under my budgets there were no car with certification from TRUE VALUE within 80 k. Had one 97 Model, red colour Maruti 800, which was 92000 kms on odo for 85 k. Had few minor dents and color was shaded and required a re-paint. So dropped that idea too.

Then, logged into quickr.com to find if there are any and There I was LUCKY. the ad said 50 k, 1993 model, blue color was just posted 5 mins before the time I logged in and i immediately replied saying I am interested on the car. So, got a call an hour later on my mobile from an elderly gentleman.

I asked when can i have a look at the car, and the reply from a gentleman was anytime. Then, I was at the old man's home the next half an hour and was very curious to know the details and have a look at the car.

He was really a gentleman and he was 80 years old!!!. I had a chat with the elderly pair - they were really really sweet. He took me to show the car and gave me a brief about the price, which he quoted 50 k and I found the interiors were good, tyres were good and only the exteriors - the number plate, the grill of lamps at the rear, the cooling papers which was black when the car was bought they had applied it i guess was turned into blue which required a replacement. The Gentleman said take a test drive!!! I did not want to take a risk as I was not completely aware of driving yet though I had completed my driving classes of ten days. I said, no sir. So, he told come let me take you for a short drive. He drived amazingly on the Indiranagar main roads, and really I must appreciate it at the age of 80 he was brilliant driver.

So, had a chat while he was taking me on a drive, why would he want to sell the car. The answer I got was he wanted to quit driving as he is become very old. I tell you that he would have even driven for more that 5 years easily is what I could make out by looking at the way he was driving.

Next my question was, about the mileage. He said, 10 in the city and 18 kms on the highway!!! he said I have never taken it to the highway. He said basically I just pick the car to buy groceries with my wife nearby and my both the children are abroad. So, by then I had almost decided that this is the car which I am going to buy. Remember, this time I had been to see the car all alone, I did not know driving completely, none of my friends to test drive and tell me how the car is. I just went with my confidence ON THE SMOOTHNESS of the drive.

Then, the vehicle was back after a small ten mins drive from a gentleman to its garage. There was no much sound in engine and vehicle was really smooth. :-)I thought once I buy I could make some cosmetic changes and can make a car much better. Then the negotiation started. I quoted 40 K. Initially he did not agree for, but then Finally i made it to 40 K. Later he said you will have to get the vehicle transferred in your name by urself as I can no longer go anywhere meeting people and all. I agreed for same.

One more thing was my wife birthday was just one week away from the day I had met the Gentleman. So, I told him I would want to take the delivery of CAR aon my wife birthday only sir, if you want I can make the spot payment. But also I wanted to speak to my parents about it. So took 2 days time and told him I will call you in the evening.

So I did speak to my wife, parents and brother and confirmed it by the same evening that I will make a payment on the next day and take a delivery of CUTE MARUTI 800 On next week on occassion my wify birthday.

Then the question was about taking the deliver of the car. So, before the next day of my wife's birthday, both me and wife after both of our office hours met. Thing was it was a week day, where I had called and waited for my friend who would drive the car to my home got late cos of work at office and could not make it. So, hired a driver who reached the place in next one hour. Met the elderly parents, bought the car with their blessings by making a settlement.

I was so very excited and asked how the car is. the driver said, MARUTI 800 is a gem of a car sir. its really smooth. You could easily take anywhere you want. This car has a peppy drive and pickup is really good and you dont need to worry sir, you have got a good deal. so, MY CONFIDENCE ON MARUTI 800 was kept on increasing with my excitement. so, there me and my wify kept the name as TINY to my beautiful car. :-)

Later the next day, on my wify's birthday made her sit on the car (though she was scary as I was driving for the first time with her) before we took the car for pooja, I had to motivate and drive myself to the temple for pooja. Did it successfully and from there there is no full stop to my TINY (touchwood). believe it or not, the car was serviced last year june at 50,400 on odo and was driven only 400 kms till Feb 2012. And later my journey started and went on and on. I just had a wash and polishing done after I got the deliver of my TINY and without even a service, ran for 7000 kms and COMPLETED 10000 kms in just 3 months from the day I bought it.

The car is just AWESOME AND I JUST LOVE TO DRIVE AND ENJOY EACH AND EVERY BIT OF IT.

Please find the pics which was after a month's time. I do not have the pics which I had taken when I visited the car for the first time with me now. Will post it by tomorrow.

This is all for now. Thanks for reading this so patiently and your inputs are always welcome.

Cheers & Drive safe,
Girish

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: MY TINY - Maruti 800, ownership experience..!!

Hi Girish, you have got a gem ! Really well maintained.

BTW how many kms has it covered now ? What about accessorizing it ?

Thread Starter #3

Thanks a lot Varun!!! :-) Its 64100 kms on the odo. driven for 13000 kms plus since I bought it in Feb 2012. These pics were taken at 53000 plus kms. I have put some racing stripes and Neolite fog lamps in the front. Those pics are not uploaded yet. Only the stickering stuff. no engine mods at all.

Cheers,
Girish

Thats really a well maintained car. Few days back i drove my friends 800, and Man i should say it is very easy to drive this in city. Please upload more pictures.

Girish welcome to TAI, your 800 is indeed a very well maintained car,for any quires regarding this car you can always contact the friendly 800 guru's Varun,SS80.

Re: MY TINY - Maruti 800. Ownership Experience!!

Hello Sir,
Congrats on the beauty! This is an excellent example on how to maintain a car. The interiors are exceptionally good for a car of this age. Please post some updated photos of your ride. I would like to meet you & your TINY. I will PM you my details.

Thread Starter #7
Sure Virsan. Will definitely approach you guys for any help, its amazing to see people's love for the warm welcome for all the new joiners. feeling overwhelmed!!! :-)

Hi SS80,

Thank you so much!! It will be a great honour to meet you. Would like to see your 800 too. please let me know your details or a mobile number, we can catch up anytime.

Cheers,
Girish

Thread Starter #8
Hi all,

Here are MY TINY PICS which I shot when I had a first look at the car when I went to have a talk to initiate the deal.

And the the car now looks like this.

Please let me know your inputs guys.

DSC02819_2.JPG

DSC02820_2.JPG

DSC02821.JPG

DSC02822.JPG

9.jpg

Cheers,
Girish

Last edited:
Hi Girish, your car looks good, have you re-painted it..

With the white stripes you could add a set of alloys which will add character to your car.

Thread Starter #10
Thank you so much Varun!!!

No, i have not re-painted it, I had the washing and polishing done after I bought it. Plans for set of alloys in place. Will do it by feb of next year when MY TINY celebrate its 1st year birthday with me :-)

Cheers,
Girish

The stripes are neat, here are a few suggestions from my side to add beauty to your car

1. Add new bumpers, front & rear - 900Rs.Front & 880/- rear
2. Replace those wiper arms & blades with Type2 800 ones (clip type) - (250Rs. all together)
3. Indicators seem to be faded (front combo & side fender ones) - replace only glass - 20Rs. each for front & 10Rs each for sides.
4. Spray paint the front grill matte black - a simple spray can - 90/-
5. Remove all emission test & wheel alignment center stickers from windshield
6. Clean the windshield with toothpaste & water (almost new like sparkling)
7. Last - Paint the rims Silver again - 400Rs. for four wheels

OT:
LUMAX tail lamps cost only 150 or 160 for each side but their quality is not nice. However headlamps of Lumax (with outer chrome ring) cost 250 & are almost of MGP kind of quality.

If you do the above things, your car will look much better. The stripes are nice & different. Your car looks like repainted (nice darker colour in last picture)

I am unable to PM you my number as you are yet to complete 10posts on the forum (that option activates only when you post more than 10times).

Waiting for your tenth Post & PM.

All the best.

Last edited:
The stripes are neat, here are a few suggestions from my side to add beauty to your car

1. Add new bumpers, front & rear - 900Rs.Front & 880/- rear
2. Replace those wiper arms & blades with Type2 800 ones (clip type) - (250Rs. all together)
3. Indicators seem to be faded (front combo & side fender ones) - replace only glass - 20Rs. each for front & 10Rs each for sides.
4. Spray paint the front grill matte black - a simple spray can - 90/-
5. Remove all emission test & wheel alignment center stickers from windshield
6. Clean the windshield with toothpaste & water (almost new like sparkling)
7. Last - Paint the rims Silver again - 400Rs. for four wheels

OT:
LUMAX tail lamps cost only 150 or 160 for each side but their quality is not nice. However headlamps of Lumax (with outer chrome ring) cost 250 & are almost of MGP kind of quality.

If you do the above things, your car will look much better. The stripes are nice & different. Your car looks like repainted (nice darker colour in last picture)

I am unable to PM you my number as you are yet to complete 10posts on the forum (that option activates only when you post more than 10times).

Waiting for your tenth Post & PM.

All the best.
@ SS80, you have provided some good information to girish, and i believe is these are completed with this car, i believe MY TINY looks awesome.

Congrats on owning such a clean car, i just love those pre facelifted 800s, they look & feel 100% Japanese.
I am surprised to see the transformation on that paint just after a rubbing & polishing job. Hats off to you for maintaining it so nicely.

SS80 (Anand bhai) has already made your car look much desirable on paper [;)] , just go ahead with his advice & your TINY will be transformed to the next level.
Just a advice, kindly retain the PDI sticker for authenticity, its placed at the lower left hand corner of your front windshield (when seen from inside the car)

EDIT: Forgot to mention earlier, if your car's bumpers are in good condition get them sprayed matt black, will save you on the hunt & cost of new units.

Last edited:
Congrats on the car. It surely looks well maintained for a 93 model. I am actually a great fan of 800 due to its low maintenance, easy to drive factor!
And good to know that you are planning for alloys. It would make the car beautiful!

Hi Girish,

Welcome to TAI, very happy to see another proud owner of the Maruti 800......your car is well maintained and you have given it a very nice look with simple change.

Top Bottom