I visited KUN Hyundai Anna nagar Chennai on 11th of MAY. Booked the New Verna 1.6 D SX BLACK color.
Got to test drive the car(though it was really a short test drive).
The moment I entered the Showroom there were these 2 beautiful cars which caught my whole attention. I was so into it drooling about the looks that I couldn’t hear what the sales representative was talking. Went straight to the car examined every bit and corner then came back to the S.R. and asked him to show me the price list. The Things which I loved about the car
1. Excellent looking Body curves and lines.
2. Very spacious inside.
3. 16” wheels. The alloys look awesome being a stock!
4. Excellent Instrument cluster.
5. Parking sensors and the rear view camera.
6. Electro chromic rear view mirror.(didn’t test it though)
7. The new music system with Bluetooth and Steering wheel mounted controls. Sound was equivalent to the old Verna’s stock player.
8. More Leg room than the old Verna.
9. Movable center arm rest and stowage place below it.
10. Large and cooled glove box compartment.
11. Rear gear shift lock release is now button type. easy to use
12. Low seating position( gives more planted to the road feel)
13. EPS was good(light) compared to my old Verna’s hydraulic P.S. Though I can’t comment about high speed steering feedback.
14. AC was as good as the previous Verna.
15. Bigger boot than the previous verna Things I dint like about the car
1. Smart-key with start/stop button only on (o) variant. [I was in love with the smart-key system in the car but unfortunately I came to know it comes along with useless 4 more airbags and leather seats adding 1.5 lakhs to the price tag. It took me an hour to finally accept that I am not gonna get it
2. Rear mounted extra-long antenna like in old i-10 and i-20. I jus hate it. [could have added shark fin type antenna]
3. Rear windscreen view. Its jus useless to view thru it for reversing.
4. The trunk lid/fuel tank opener knob somehow feels cheap and not nicely placed like in old verna.
5. The rear seats seriously lack thigh support. It feels like only the butt is resting on the cushion and rest of the upper leg has no contact with the seat cushion. (I am 6.3’ foot tall)
6. The Dual chrome Exhaust really don’t give much of the kind of look it deserves. Would have been better if Hyundai managed to include Verna Transform’s rectangular chrome exhaust on both sides
7. I had issues with the stowage place inside, I found many holes missing which I mostly use in my old Verna.(see the pics below)
a) Rear doors bottle holder
b) All doors door handle space( large enuf to hold mobile, wallet, parking tickets etc). I seriously think I will miss this thing in the new Verna.
Old Verna Door handle space
c) Rear center bottle holder space Test Drive
Got to drive the Silver colored Verna 1.6 D SX test drive vehicle. As soon as I entered the car the car was cold. Really cold. 1st impression AC is good.[ P.S. the car had just returned from a Test Drive so the AC was on.] Then the seats felt really low as compared to d previous Verna which I drive. The fabric felt good and the cushion soft. Turned on the ignition, lights up the Blue-White instrument panel says WELCOME then comes the Hyundai logo. The instrument panel is clearly No-Nonsense system which provides all the essentials. Heard music, It sounded the same as the previous Verna rather had lesser bass. May be it needs some changes in the settings.
Then I turned the key to start the 126HP/265NM Diesel motor, All I could hear was the starter motor cranking for a second and then its all quiet inside. Zero vibration Zero noise from the engine, I was certainly impressed. Switched to the 1st gear, initially there is NO drama or anything the accelerations is gradual and smooth, 1s it reaches past 1800 RPM, U then feel all those 265NM of torque kicking in. Trust me that’s the best experience I have ever had driving a car. *Awesome Acceleration *. My dad sitting at the back seat asked me *amazed* “WOT WAS THAT?” I was like Dad that’s how it feels when the turbo producing 265NM torque kicks in.
The speed bumps were smooth. Surprising I didn’t experience the boat like motion in the car like my previous Verna. I deliberately drove into a pot hole, the left side wheels taking up the pothole I couldn’t feel anything on the right hand driver seat. The top speed I could do was 60kmph in 2nd gear at 2500rpm. I Called the S.R. home for a long test drive in the Chennai Bye-pass road, will update about it later.
Finally gave him Rs 50000 as advance and booked the phantom black diesel sx model. The ex-show room price of the sx(o) was Rs 1004499. Only if the Hyundai people priced the (o) variant Rs 4499 less
, we would have saved 60k on tax, which would have made the sx(o) a better deal. [TN RTO charges 15% on 10L+ cars and 10% on below 10L cars]
Estimated waiting period was told 1 month. The S.R. said the new car hasn’t got the R.T.O approval yet as on 11th and is expecting starting of delivery by 27th of May.