Hyundai Elite i20 Review & Pictures: Fashionably Elite

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
“Fashionably Elite”

Hyundai-Elite-i20.jpg

Hyundai Elite i20 Review Synopsis: Hyundai Elite i20 price tag is between Rs.4.89 – 7.66 Lakh (Ex.showroom, Delhi). It launched in India on 11th August 2014.

If there’s a car that easily qualifies for being among the major cash cows for Hyundai Motor India, then unquestionably it’s the Hyundai Elite i20. Straight from the time when it debuted in 2008 with ‘uber-cool’ tagline, Hyundai has consistently marketed this car as a premium product over more established rivals vis-à-vis Maruti Suzuki Swift. Starting at Rs. 4.89 lacs and Rs. 6.09 lacs for the petrol and diesel model respectively, this price tag of Hyundai Elite i20 lives up to its premiumness. Back then, it was a serious gamble in a segment which was still in budding phase. But terrific response proved that the Koreans put their money where their mouth is. Ultimately, Hyundai had found the right mix which was capable to make up for the loss incurred by the Getz. The i20 managed to remain a decent performer for long run without demanding a major overhaul.

The next generation model arrives bang on time when the outgoing i20 was almost on the verge of losing its charm in a plethora of fresh options available. Labeled as Elite i20, the car has been extensively reworked at Hyundai Design Center in Rüsselsheim (Germany) where the entire concept of i20 first originated. Standing true to its name, i20 bears unmistakably elite elements in form of European-influenced design that Hyundai classifies as Fluidic Sculpture 2.0 philosophy. Of late, Hyundai’s new cars have observed a perceptible trend of toned-down fluidic styling and the new Elite i20 is no exception.

The intention behind Fluidic Sculpture 2.0 design is to develop an automotive styling which is inspired by and coexisting with nature. In an attempt to keep the looks upmarket, Hyundai has also adopted front European hexagonal grille design from high-end models like next generation Sonata LF and Genesis. However, what’s prominently skipped is daylight running lamps which serve as a fashion statement for Indians more than anything else. Until now, Hyundai’s Chennai Plant was the global base for production of i20, however, now since i20 will also be manufactured in Europe, the company doesn't consider it important to offer DRLs exclusively for the Indian market.

From outside, the Elite i20 looks a size bigger than it is. As a matter of fact, its length has been chopped off by 10 mm which was formerly 3995 mm although the wheelbase is extended by a generous 45 mm allowing more room on the inside. This makes the car have a maximum wheelbase segmentwise. Likewise, ground clearance also observes a slight rise from 165 mm to 170 mm, so does the width by 24 mm. Height, on the other hand, remains same at 1505 mm. The Hyundai Elite i20 never fails to please the eyes regardless of whichever angle its viewed. Let's admit, this car has dramatically evolved from a discreet family-mover to one of the sportiest looking hatches.

For once, the long hood complemented by sweptback headlamps offers an impression in ORVM as if the car behind is a sedan. It’s only until the Hyundai Elite i20 zoom pasts away when a first time spectator would realize that it’s simply a full-grown hatchback. There’s apparently no compromise on exterior design and Hyundai has also thrown conspicuous 16” alloys on top-variants that give side view a fuller stance (lower variants receive 14 inchers though). These sets of diamond cut alloys exclude striking dual-tone shade present on that of Grand i10. Thick black C-Pillars are another element that further visually enhances its sporty characteristics. The rear design is a massive redesign over the i-Gen i20. Thanks to the horizontal tail lamp cluster, the Hyundai Elite i20 now looks so much more intimidating.

Thread Starter #2

350Z

Core Team
Hyundai Elite i20: Interiors and Comfort

The USP of Hyundai cars in their respective segment has always been the amount of features they come equipped with. The launch of the first generation i20 had set entirely new standards in India and this model carries the torch but that’s with pinch of salt. While there are certain noteworthy inclusions such as automatic headlamps, smart pedal (allows brakes to override accelerator input in emergency braking), rear air-con vents etc., at the same time Hyundai has also silently performed cost-cutting by discontinuing Asta (O) trim, offering only two airbags in place of six. Additionally, features like rain sensing wipers, speed sensing door lock, rear disc brakes etc have also been disappointingly done away with.

Nonetheless, Hyundai Elite i20’s interiors continue to be welcoming as always. It has received a full overhaul too with the revised new dashboard and a spacious cabin welcoming you the moment you step inside. Front seats are sufficiently large and provide ample under thigh support. The driver’s seat can also be height-adjusted but I really didn’t have to fiddle much around since the driving position is just perfect. If required, steering can be adjusted for reach and rake. The front armrest is a surprisingly pleasant addition. It is broad enough, meaning there will be no ‘arm-wars’ between the front occupants and it can open up to serve as another utility compartment to keep a regular 600ml water bottle. Overall there are ample of practical cubbyholes here and there throughout the front cabin.

The now-minimalistic dashboard echoes an ambience of an upmarket car in terms design as well as quality. Albeit not exactly comparable to Europeans but the smooth-to-touch plastic feels significantly superior. The dashboard fascia is layered with beige shade that sometimes becomes problematic when it reflects on the windshield under direct sunlight, yet it greatly helps in enhancing the interior design appeal. Built-in head unit sounds incredibly well and doesn’t have a lot of buttons to perplex a first time user. It is CD, USB, Aux-in, Bluetooth compatible and capable of storing audio upto 1GB in the default internal memory, similar to Hyundai Grand i10.

Gladly, Elite i20’s air conditioner lived upto our expectations once we got back inside after shooting continuously for hours in 40 degree Celsius temperature of Jodhpur. The automatic climate control assists in swift cooling of the cabin until the desired temperature and maintains it forever. In fact, the rear air conditioner vents serve well and are practically almost as much usable as those equipped in front. Note that the rear vents don’t have a separate compressor. The rear bench is most comfortable when it seats two. Not that the third person couldn’t be accommodated. But by nature, the seat is contoured such that it’s best for two occupants. Furthermore, rear air conditioner unit occupies a fair amount of mid-passenger legroom too. However, what turns out to be in favor is the nearly flat transmission tunnel. Under normal situation, 285 liters of boot space will more than suffice but to accommodate the luggage of virtually any shape, with rear seats providing handy 60:40 split functionality. All said and done, the amount of features, space and flexibility on offer undisputedly makes the Hyundai Elite i20 one of the most practical hatchbacks on sale in India right now.

Thread Starter #3

350Z

Core Team
Hyundai Elite i20: Performance and Fuel Efficiency

Hyundai has passed on the same set of engine options to the Elite i20 as earlier. Petrol Kappa 1.2L Dual VTVT motor generates 83 PS @ 6000 RPM and a torque of 114 Nm @ 4000 RPM similar to Maruti Suzuki Swift. On the other hand, the 1.4L U2 Diesel engine churns out considerably higher figures on paper than the Swift with 90 PS @ 4000 RPM and 219 Nm torque @ 1500 – 2750 RPM. The Petrol is mated to a 5 speed manual transmission while the Diesel receives a 6 speed manual. Automatic variants have been phased out for the time being but Hyundai intends to reintroduce them soon. There are no major tweaks on either of the engines apart from slight re-tuning of Petrol motor to help it perform relatively better in the low-range. That said, there’s absolutely no denying that both the engines are very refined for their standards.

We picked Petrol first. This silky-smooth motor comes alive on a gentle tap of the start-stop button, which is somewhat out of sight as it’s situated right behind the steering and wiper stalk on left. High amount of attention to detail will make the first-impression for anyone far more impressive. The instrument cluster illuminates gracefully. MID first welcomes with Hyundai logo and then suggests depressing the clutch in order to switch on the vehicle. The seatbelt reminder (only for driver seat) sounds straight away before moving if the driver doesn’t buckle up. It’s small yet practical features like these which make a car feel more intuitive, complete and also newbie proof. :biggrin: You’ll immediately sense two things within the first few seconds itself of driving Petrol model. First, extremely well-suppressed NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness) levels and second, the slick-shift gear lever that literally operates like a hot knife slicing through the butter. Similarly the clutch pedal too is gentle and comfortable to operate in slow-moving traffic.

However, what’s bothersome is that one constantly needs to accelerate and keep the car in mid range to allow smooth going. The Hyundai Elite i20 picks up the pace and continues building the momentum once it arrives at normal driving speed. Not that it’s any rocket but the Kappa prefers to be revved and willingly does over three digit mark without losing its stability. Switching to Diesel after thoroughly driving the Petrol motor was almost a wicked experience. This 1.4L motor packs the desired punch which was missing in the Petrol. The turbo lag has been nicely disguised under 1800 RPM and the car delivers enough consistent amount of power from early on. Save for the slight clatter, NVH levels are remarkably concealed inside the cabin for a Diesel car. You bet, ask a co-passenger next time and they cannot distinguish without checking out that badge. Obviously, engine becomes nosier and growls at higher RPMs but one will seldom need to tap upto that point.

An extra gear on Diesel makes it the choice for long hauls and a fuel efficient one at that. It does 80 Kmph @ 1500 RPM in sixth gear while 100 Kmph is achieved at a relaxed 2000 RPM. Gearshifts are, to some extent, rougher than the one on Petrol. Moreover, the clutch is slightly stiffer in this model yet convenient enough for bumper to bumper traffic commute. Koreans are also working hard to stamp out the image of vague steering wheel that’s attached to them for long and Hyundai Elite i20 has an improvement which is noticeable. However, the steering is still no where as fun as some of the competitors. I admit, Hyundai Elite i20 is not an enthusiasts’ car, but the sense of lifelessness on the steering that makes it feel detached to front wheels when positioned at center, does no good even when driving sedately.

The McPherson suspension setup is well-sorted and travels comfortably over potholes but drive any faster over a large bump and it’s bound to create a loud thump on the inside. Keeping steering issue aside, handling nevertheless feels acceptable for emergency maneuvers but there’s a fair amount of body roll. I found the braking confidence inspiring (Especially after experiencing that of Grand i10). Unfortunately, the company has now got rid of the rear disc brakes which were not only segment first but also reflected a manufacturer’s concern towards safety in India. Ironically, six air bags are also not available anymore. Hyundai Elite i20 includes driver and passenger airbags, ABS, clutch lock, seatbelt pre-tensioners etc only from Sportz variant onward in terms of safety features.

While we didn’t get a chance to check out real-time fuel efficiency but if ARAI (Automotive Research Association of India) figures are to be believed, Hyundai Elite i20 claims to be almost as promising as its chief rival, Swift. Petrol version delivers 18.6 Kmpl where as the Diesel is said to return 22.54 Kmpl. If not the same, one can easily expect to extract pocket-friendly numbers if driven in the right manner. It has happened for the first time ever in the history of Hyundai Motor India that a car has fetched over 12,000+ bookings within 15 days of launch! And why not. Elite i20 after all does not only passes but also qualifies with distinction in every aspect which a traditional Indian car buyer considers. Like always, Hyundai India has again found a product to keep its dealers awfully busy this festive season.

Thread Starter #4

350Z

Core Team
Hyundai Elite i20: Likes, Dislikes and Report Card

Hyundai-Elite-i20-Exterior.jpg

You'll Love: [thumbsup]
  • Sporty, toned down and much mature Fluidic Design v2.
  • Spacious and upmarket interiors with nice attention to detail.
  • Highly refined engines and slick-shift gear lever and a soft clutch.
  • A long list of several features which are practical for day-to-day use.
  • Great fuel efficiency figures. Next time your neighbour asks, Kitna deti hai? Simply answer, aapki Swift ke jitna!
You'll Loathe: [thumbsdown]
  • Almost a lakh rupee expensive than direct rival (Swift) from mid-variant onward.
  • Silent cost-cutting performed by eliminating some features which were in i-Gen i20.
  • Good engines but Elite i20 overall isn’t a driver’s delight. Enthusiasts: look elsewhere.
  • Steering wheel improved. But still feels vague and has enough scope to be improved further.
  • i20 automatic had its own fair share in the market. Surprisingly not on sale now (but will be back soon).
Hyundai Elite i20 Star Ratings:
  • Design and Quality................:
    ninestar.gif
  • Comfort and Features............:
    ninestar.gif
  • Engine and Performance.........:
    ninestar.gif
  • Handling and Ride Quality.......:
    eightstar.gif
  • Safety and Security Levels....:
    8.5.gif
  • Overall Fuel Consumption.......:
    ninestar.gif
  • Sales and Service Network.....:
    ninestar.gif
  • Value For Money Factor.........:
    ninestar.gif
  • The Automotive India’s Verdict:
    ninestar.gif
Here's how to interpret above ratings: The Automotive India Reviews Star Ratings Explained.

Thread Starter #5

350Z

Core Team
Hyundai Elite i20: Price, Misc Points and Feedback

Hyundai-Elite-i20-Rear-view-Exterior.jpg

Hyundai Elite i20 Price (Ex.showroom, Delhi):

Petrol
  • Era: Rs.4,89,900
  • Magna: Rs.5,41,900
  • Sportz: Rs.5,93,900
  • Sportz (O): Rs.6,24,900
  • Asta: Rs.6,46,901
Diesel
  • Era: Rs.6,09,900
  • Magna: Rs.6,61,900
  • Sportz: Rs.7,13,900
  • Sportz (O): Rs.7,44,900
  • Asta: Rs.7,66,900
Note: The prices mentioned above are introductory only.

Hyundai-Elite-i20-Price-Comparison-Table.png

Prices in Lakhs INR. Ex.showroom, New Delhi.
Miscellaneous Points:
  • Target customer for Elite i20 are married couples in their late 20s and 30s (Especially executives / entrepreneurs).
  • Hyundai i20 was first launched at Paris Motor Show in 2008. Second gen. made its debut right here in India on August 11, 2014.
  • This was ahead of its global launch. European spec Elite i20 will be introduced at the upcoming Paris Motor Show in October 2014.
  • European spec will have slightly different design elements, including those DRLs (Sigh!). It’ll also be longer by 50 mm and feature 326 liter boot space.
  • We usually get an idea about the popularity of a car at the media drive itself. i20 being no exception, invited a bunch of queries to us from strangers.
  • Top sources at Hyundai indicate that feasibility of introducing AMT in their cars is being studied. Though no concrete info on launch (if at all it will be).
  • Earlier i20 scored 5 star Euro NCAP rating (for same model which was sold here). It’ll be interesting to have crash test ratings of this Indian-spec Elite i20.
  • On diesel variant, you’ve to pull the lever to slot into reverse gear (which is closer to position of first gear). Safer than Polo that requires pushing it instead.
Feedback To Hyundai:
  • It's disappointing that the most feature-laden Asta (O) with six airbags, rear disc brakes etc has been discontinued.
  • Similarly, when automatics are picking up demand in India, A/T version has been temporarily phased out for a reason unknown to us.
  • Personally I believe these variants should be brought back at earliest to cater that group of buyers who look for more than just a "budget" hatchback.
Related Links:

Thread Starter #6

350Z

Core Team
Hyundai Elite i20: Comparison, Technical Specifications and Brochure

Comparison: Hyundai i20 vs Maruti Swift vs Ford Figo vs Volkswagen Polo vs Fiat Punto Evo

Hyundai-Elite-i20-Technical-Specification-Comparison.png

Hyundai Elite i20 Specifications:

Petrol
  • Engine: 1197 CC, 4 Cyl, 16 Valves DOHC
  • Power: 83 PS @ 6000 RPM
  • Torque: 11.7 Kgm @ 4000 RPM
  • Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
  • ARAI Fuel Efficiency: 18.60 Kmpl (Era, Magna) | 18.24 Kmpl (Sportz, Asta)
Diesel
  • Engine: 1396 CC, 4 Cyl, 16 Valves DOHC
  • Power: 90 PS @ 4000 RPM
  • Torque: 22.4 Kgm @ 1500 - 2750 RPM
  • Transmission: 6 Speed Manual
  • ARAI Fuel Efficiency: 22.54 Kmpl (Era, Magna) | 21.76 Kmpl (Sportz, Asta)
General
  • Front Brakes: Discs
  • Rear Brakes: Drums
  • Front Suspension: McPherson Strut
  • Rear Suspension: Coupled Torsion Beam Axle
  • Fuel Tank: 45 Liters
  • Boot Space: 285 Liters
  • Length: 3985 mm
  • Width: 1734 mm
  • Height: 1505 mm
  • Wheelbase: 2570 mm
  • Ground Clearance: 170 MM
  • Tyre Size: 185/70 R14 (Era, Magna, Sportz) | 195/55 R16 (Sportz O, Asta)
Exterior Color Options:
  • Stardust
  • Red Passion*
  • Midas Gold*
  • Sleek Silver
  • Mystic Blue
  • Polar White*
  • Pristine Blue*
Asterisk (*) denotes our choice of colors. Attached: Hyundai Elite i20 Brochure Direct Download.

Thread Starter #7

350Z

Core Team
Hyundai Elite i20: Video Clips

Hyundai Elite i20 MID Walkthrough

This clip demonstrates all features available in the multi-information display.

Hyundai Elite i20 MID Welcome

The manner in which cluster illuminates and MID welcomes with Hyundai logo feels premium

Hyundai Elite i20 Windscreen Washer

The wipers are quiet and washer nicely sprays the fluid on the complete windscreen.

Hyundai Elite i20 Audio System

Many members were curious about the audio setup. Here's it. Listen and decide yourself.

Hyundai Elite i20 TV Commercial

Hate it or love it TV commercial. I don't find it too relevant for Indian market though.

Hyundai Elite i20 Global Launch Coverage

Flash back of August 11, 2014 when Elite i20 made its global debut in India.

Thread Starter #9

350Z

Core Team
Hyundai Elite i20: Pictorial Review

For a hatchback, Elite i20 imposes a decent road presence.

European car like jaw-dropping mean looks from this angle.

Sweptback headlamps and taillamps design appears somewhat identical.

Tinge of i-Gen i20. Anyone?

Hyundai is gradually moving from vertical to horizontal tail lamp design on its hatchbacks.

This wide-grille is the chief attention grabber on front.

These wide foglamps add to the sportiness.

Sleek radiator grille prominently houses the titled H.

Apparently long hood helps to provide a big-car feel.

Side indicators' LEDs look awesome when lit. Auto-fold ORVMs are NOT biker proof (Can't turn other way round).

Smart keyless entry feature available only on Sportz (O) and Asta trims.

Thread Starter #10

350Z

Core Team

Door protectors aren't oddly sized unlike Grand i10.

Black B-Pillars are now a common design feature on almost all premium hatchbacks.

But black C-Pillars are not. Hyundai snatched an opportunity ahead of Tata's Bolt and calls it a segment-first. BTW It's not vinyl but a plastic panel.

Reverse camera sticks out like a sore thumb on hatch door but is immensely useful.

Smart design dynamics. I was suspicious about hatch door touching the antenna but it didn't by a tad li'l difference.

Neat alloys wear Bridgestone rubber. Skips the dual tone shade though. Longer wheelbase + overall short length means overhang is next to none.

Fiat Punto like positioned reflector and reverse lamp. Note that Elite i20 has only single reverse light.

Practical fuel cap holder.

Clear 'Diesel' markings everywhere.

Thread Starter #11

350Z

Core Team

This li'l rod to hold the hood is unconventionally fixed upside down.

This is Petrol motor's house. Notice the abundant space.

Diesel engine receives a complete plastic cover.

Hyundai's attention to detail is impressive.

Isn't it?

A close look.

No sound deadening material under the hood of Elite i20 Diesel.

285 Liters of boot space is sufficient for weekend luggage. BTW there’s no separate button inside the car to unlock boot. It works in sync with central locking.

Full-sized steel spare wheel.

Tool kit is very nicely packed.

Small stuff like this one make up a huge difference in ergonomics.

Thread Starter #12

350Z

Core Team

Front seats are wide and comfortable. But don't instantly hug as on the Fiesta. Unfair comparison, but couldn't resist.

The rear seats are equally comfortable. It can accommodate a third occupant but most suitable for two.

Flexible 60:40 split functionality.

Or both can be folded flat to store some serious luggage.

Minimum and maximum legroom. Driver's seat is fully pushed backwards.

Apart from the sleek door pocket, there's no other dedicated storage space for rear passengers.

Heavily raised rear doorsill instantly reminded me of the Renault Duster. It affects egress from rear seats.

Transmission tunnel is almost flat though.

Rear air-conditioner vents proved to be quite effective.

Electrochromic inside rearview mirror featuring parking camera is one of the most usable features in Elite i20.

Outside rear view mirrors are wide and provide an excellent view.

Thread Starter #13

350Z

Core Team

Superfine instrument cluster is highly legible and remains lit all the time.

MID welcomes you in the car with a 'Hyundai' logo first.

If the start-stop button is tapped without pressing the clutch, it indicates to do so.

MID is highly configurable (refer to video in this review). Surprisingly skips basic information like distance to empty and average fuel consumption.

Nice! The button on stalk to switch between MID modes can also be operated from behind as per your convenience.

Bluetooth compatible head unit seems simple but sounds well. It also has 1 GB internal memory.

Fully automatic climate control with cluster ionizer is available only on Sportz and Asta variants.

Only top-end Asta receives multiple 12V Power outlets.

Handy business card holder.

Thread Starter #14

350Z

Core Team

Front armrest is a welcome addition. It's wide enough to easily accommodate two arms. Though doesn't slides to adjust but I'm not complaining!

This armrest also serves as a hidden storage box. Can carry a regular sized water bottle.

Multipurpose cupholder and bottle holder.

Cooled glovebox is wide but not very deep.

Simply tap on the light itself to turn it on.

Sunglass holder is functional in many ways.

A dedicated reading lamp for the rear passengers.

Same good ol’ key retained. It now sounds horn when operated. Sometimes could confuse the ongoers (as it did in our case).

Got your stickers? The Automotive India Stickers v2: Grab Yours!.

© TheAutomotiveIndia.com. Republishing the text or pictures anyway without prior consent of our authorities is strictly forbidden.

Disclaimer: This road test was conducted in a media drive event organized by Hyundai. All expenses for such events are borne by the manufacturer.​

Top Bottom