Ford Ecosport Diesel Review & Pictures: Diesel Demon

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
“Diesel Demon”

138.jpg

It’s not even two months since the launch of Ford Ecosport in India but this car has already attained an unprecedented fame in automotive industry. The Ecosport, in a little span has seen both, goods and bads of serving in a sensitive market like India. On one hand, it has proved to be a jackpot deal for Ford by surpassing the sales figures of its siblings and competitors alike. Though at the same time Ecosport has also managed to get its own share of negative talks due to an immediate recall of diesel version as well as the frequently reported toppling incidents. Yet, it doesn’t seem to have affected the fan following much from bringing one home. The current scenario is that several Ford dealerships across nation have suspended the bookings for interim because of a sudden surge of customers. Unsurprisingly, it’s the Diesel version which is accounting for the major portion of sales numbers. So we took one for a spin to check out whether it’s as much as exciting in this form compared to Ecoboost petrol that we driven a few months ago in Goa.

Ford Ecosport TDCi is equipped with a 1.5 liter diesel engine churning out 91 PS of power @ 3750 RPM and maximum torque of 204 NM @ 2000 – 2750 RPM. This mill is identical to one on new Fiesta apart from the fact that it is tuned to deliver more power, albeit still 19 PS lesser than its direct competitor, Renault Duster. Good thing about this motor is that it’s fairly refined by contemporary diesel engine standards. There’s a slight turbo lag in the initial range but all in all the performance is quite instant and predictable with no sudden thrust of the turbo kicking in, opposite to what we experienced in the Renault Duster 110 PS (Renault Duster Review & Pictures). Being a diesel, there’s ample of torque in hand to comfort in the bumper to bumper traffic conditions. You can drive it at the speed of 10 Kmph on 1st gear, 20 Kmph on 2nd and so on with no throttle input at all.

Plus, Ecosport Diesel will appease those too who’re habitual of picking up straight from the second gear itself. Yup, that’s true. You can pull it from second gear in an effortless manner without even realizing you did so. However, whenever using a higher gear in lower speeds, the engine takes its own sweet time to boil and get into the range. So just keep the car in power band and the acceleration feels quick and linear like a smaller car. For highway commute, the story sounds a bit different. You need quick up shifts to speed up, even though catching the three digit number is not a task but the car pines for more power in due course as it tends to achieve more. The maximum it could do for us was 140 Kmph at nearly 3,000 RPM but it remained composed throughout. I’d still stand by my opinion about the gearshift which felt a tad rougher and longer as compared to Fiesta Classic that I own. The braking ability on regular speeds is good but it could have been made better to inspire more confidence when speeding high.

The handling continues to be one of the major unique selling points of Ecosport. The steering wheel is ultra light, perfect for maneuvering in cities and gains weight as the car speeds up. Ford has re-tuned the suspension on Diesel model and difference is rather evident. It’s stiffer and transfers bumps from almost all uneven patches present on the road which is nowhere close to the brilliant ride characteristics found on Renault Duster. Overall NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness) levels are well-controlled inside the Ecosport Diesel though somehow a bit of clatter and the vibration does find its way in when the engine is at idle. Contrarily, the truck-like diesel engine noise is glaringly obvious on the outside. Don't miss to check out the video attached in the subsequent post to obtain a better idea. On the mileage front, Ecosport Diesel returned an average of 12.7 Kmpl under mixed driving conditions with air conditioner turned on but there’s enough potential to extract more with sedate driving. The actual ARAI certified figure is 22.7 Kmpl.

Note: This review was only focused on the diesel engine. Please visit the following links for more on Ecosport:

> Ford Ecosport Exhaustive Road Test Review

> Booked a New Ford Ecosport? Let Us Know

> Ford Ecosport Test Drive Review From Brazil

> Ford Ecosport Exclusive Global Premiere Coverage

> Ford Ecosport Petrol and Diesel: What Should You Buy?

> My White Little Monster: Ford Ecosport Ownership Review

> My Cute Devil "Argento" Comes Home: Ford Ecosport Diesel Ownership Review

Thread Starter #2

350Z

Core Team
Ford Ecosport Diesel: Price and Specifications.

Did You Know?

> Ford Ecosport diesel carbon dioxide emission rating is at 117 g/km1.

> TDCI on Ecosport is equipped with a compact fixed geometry turbo and an intercooler.

> Kerb weight of Ecosport Diesel is 1248 Kgs (Ambiente), 1272 Kgs (Trend), 1289 Kgs (Titanium), 1290 Kgs (Titanium+).

> Figures for petrol are: 1258 Kgs (Ecoboost Titanium), 1259 Kgs (Ecoboost Titanium+), 1200 Kgs (Ambiente), 1222 Kgs (Trend), 1241 Kgs (Titanium), 1268 Kgs (Titanium AT).

Ford Ecosport Diesel Price (Ex.showroom, Delhi):

> Ambiente: Rs.6,69,000

> Trend: Rs.7,60,990

> Titanium: Rs.8,61,990

> Titanium+: Rs.8,99,990

Ford Ecosport Diesel Specifications:

Engine:

> Type: 4 cylinders inline, FGT

> Displacement: 1498cc,

> Compression Ratio: 16:1

> Transmission: 5 Speed Manual

> Bore x Stroke: 73.5 mm X 88.3 mm

> Maximum Power: 91 PS @ 3750 RPM

> Maximum Torque: 204 NM @ 2000 - 2750 RPM

Tyres & Wheels

> 16" Alloy Wheels

> 205/60 R16 Tyres

Dimensions:

> Length: 3999 MM

> Width: 1765 MM

> Height: 1708 MM

> Wheelbase: 2520 MM

> Turning Radius: 5.3 meter

> Fuel Tank Capacity: 52 Liters

> Ground Clearance: 200 MM

> Normal Boot Space: 346 Liters

> Expanded Boot Space: 705 Liters

> Front Track: 1519 MM

> Rear Track: 1524 MM

> Front Suspension: Independent McPherson sturt with coil spring and anti-roll bar

> Rear Suspension: Semi- independent twist beam with twin gas and oil filled shock absorbers

> Steering: EPAS with Pull Drift Compensation technology

> Front Brakes: Ventilated Disc

> Rear Brakes: Drum Brakes

Thread Starter #3

350Z

Core Team
Ford Ecosport Diesel: Pictures and Video.

No cover for the diesel engine either. There’s an underbody cover however.

139.jpg

The sound deadening material equipped as on the Ecoboost model.

140.jpg

The clutch is an absolute bliss to operate. Steering rod will obstruct those with long foot.

141.jpg

Neatly hidden OBD port inside the storage compartment under headlamp rotary knob.

142.jpg

Finally got a chance to test the headlamps. In short, they’re useless. An upgrade is strongly recommended.

143.jpg

There’s sure something about it that makes the heads turn.

144.jpg

This car is the talk of the town. It invited several inquisitive strangers to me with various comments. “Kitna deti hai?”, “How did you bring it from Tamil Nadu”? And more. :biggrin:

145.jpg

There’s no distinguishing factor on the outside of Ecosport Diesel apart from TDCI badge.

146.jpg

Re: Ford Ecosport Diesel Test Drive Review

Hello 350Z so how is the ride compared to ecoboost,is it much more stiffer than Ecoboost?
Now one more review is left 1.5 Petrol manual or Automatic, either 1 or both will be great, nice review and photo shoots, also if we change headlamp units will the warranty be void

Hi, Thanks for the review.
Can you also compare it with ecoboost's performance in particular on the highway manners? We know in city driving, diesel engine scores over ecoboost in terms of driveability.
Regards
Dinesh

@Vibhor,

Nice review and pictures !!

I have two simple questions here

1. What is your take on the ride quality of this diesel ES especially when seated in rear bench

2. I found the nvh levels are quite impressive while the vehicle is in idle conditions, so what is your take on this

Were you able to stall the diesel engine by upshifting too early and flooring the accelerator ? The 1st gen Indica diesel would stall if I was careless enough to do this.

Nice review.

So what would be the recommended bulbs for upgrade for the headlights?

@Mods a suggestion: I think we should merge this with the original thread as much has been discussed in that thread about TDCI engine on the ecosport.

Nice review.

@Mods a suggestion: I think we should merge this with the original thread as much has been discussed in that thread about TDCI engine on the ecosport.
I too agree with the low brightness of stock headlamps.
Last week Wednesday it rained in the night, and once the roads became dark, I couldn't see much. Even switching on fog lamps didn't help me with visibility.

Last week Wednesday it rained in the night, and once the roads became dark, I couldn't see much. Even switching on fog lamps didn't help me with visibility.
May be a stupid question, will the upgrades void warranty? Or is there an option to upgrade without voiding warranty? Please advice

Are you planning to upgrade your bulbs? If yes which one would choose?

May be a stupid question, will the upgrades void warranty? Or is there an option to upgrade without voiding warranty? Please advice
If you upgrade your bulbs with 55/60w bulbs then I don't think the warranty would be void.

Thread Starter #14

350Z

Core Team

Hello 350Z so how is the ride compared to ecoboost,is it much more stiffer than Ecoboost?
1. What is your take on the ride quality of this diesel ES especially when seated in rear bench
It’s clear that the ride is tuned for better handling rather than providing comfort. I found it stiffer than the one on Ecoboost. My rear passengers weren’t very pleased either.

Can you also compare it with ecoboost's performance in particular on the highway manners? We know in city driving, diesel engine scores over ecoboost in terms of driveability.
My experience with Ecoboost is more on ghats than on the straight stretches. However, from whatever I have driven, Ecoboost is surely much peppier and fun to drive than TDCi.

2. I found the nvh levels are quite impressive while the vehicle is in idle conditions, so what is your take on this
Just a bit of vibration during idle is a letdown but otherwise overall NVH levels are quite impressive for a diesel car, as also stated in the review above.

Well written review 350z, loved your photos and texts.
Thanks.

Were you able to stall the diesel engine by upshifting too early and flooring the accelerator ? The 1st gen Indica diesel would stall if I was careless enough to do this.
That’s the last thing I’d want to happen. Yet I recall an incident while driving through a curve at approx 20 Kmph on 3rd gear when engine struggled for power but it didn’t stall.

also if we change headlamp units will the warranty be void
Ford is offering white streak bulbs as a part of accessories which wouldn’t affect warranty. Please feel free to create a new thread in this section for more discussion on this topic.

It’ll be great if you could share a couple of shots comparing high and low beam throw at night for all members in the main thread. I couldn't capture those. Thanks!

Drive Safe,
350Z

Ford is offering white streak bulbs as a part of accessories which wouldn’t affect warranty. Please feel free to create a new thread in this section for more discussion on this topic.

It’ll be great if you could share a couple of shots comparing high and low beam throw at night for all members in the main thread. I couldn't capture those. Thanks!

Drive Safe,
350Z
Just saw this post, I will share the same tomorrow. Also I inquired about white streak bulbs, the Lathangi Accessories SA is least helpful, as he said there are no accessories available for top end model. And cant't take any commitment on the accessories availability. Even the white streak bulbs are not available.

But found Philips XTreme Vision H4 bulbs for 1200 Rs for head lamps online, yet to decide about them.

Top Bottom