Renault Duster Review & Pictures

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team

Renault Duster Review Synopsis: Renault Duster price tag is between Rs.8.36 – 11.39 Lakh (Ex.showroom, Delhi). It officially launched in India on 4 July 2012.

Renault Duster has opened up an utterly different chapter in Indian automobile industry. The ‘Compact SUV’ segment was untapped and unheard of before. Renault, with the launch of Duster, took a bold step forward by going against the notion of various manufacturers and auto experts alike that the basic mantra for a successful SUV in India is the mammoth size of it and at least seven seats by default. While the initiation of this segment’s concept in India is certainly not by Renault, since the little known ‘Premier Rio’ deserves its due title. However, what clearly makes Duster complete in the form of a ‘Compact SUV’ outfit are butch looks and certain traits of a full-fledged SUV. Plus, perfect marketing strategies and enthusiasm from Renault, which was not more than an extraterrestrial brand for Indians until sometime ago, ensured the things work well as per plan.

Needless to mention, if there’s something that has turned tables at Renault’s head quarter, it’s none other than the Duster. It’s surprising the way this car has quickly won hearts of several Indians and acquired itself a position in top ten Indian car sales figures in less than a year of debut. Apart from the constantly escalating sales, it has been honored with countless awards by various media, including our own ‘The Automotive India Car of the Year’ award in 2012. This very fact ignited our eagerness to review Duster in-depth and Renault India was kind enough to lend us the RXZ (110 PS) model for three days. As the saying goes, many people cannot be wrong. Perhaps Renault must have done something right. Let’s find out.

Renault Duster is manufactured in Oragadam (Near Chennai), Tamil Nadu. The amusing fact is that the same plant also rolls out ‘Dacia Duster’ (Dacia is a subsidiary of Renault). This is Duster with a twist; it’s equipped with 1.6 liter Petrol engine and also a 4x4 drive train including various other tweaks unlike Indian lineup. These units are then shipped to United Kingdom and Ireland because of the fact that Renault’s plant in India is the only manufacturing facility in world to produce right hand drive Duster. So next time you drive a Duster – You know that it came straight from the same house where its European siblings are born.

Indian version offers diverse variants to cater shoppers having different budgets and requirements. For starters, it has two Petrol variants: RXE and RXL but since it’s the Diesel motor that prevents assembly line from eating rust, Renault has invested on different Diesel engine variants. An 85 PS (RXE, RXL, RXL Option Pack) and 110PS (RXL, RXZ, RXZ Option Pack). They’re basically same engines with different power outputs. The days aren’t far enough when Duster will get a direct competitor in India – Ford Ecosport. That’s when Renault intends to reveal their trump card – The Duster 4x4. We were also informed during the launch that company might consider bringing a diesel with automatic transmission depending upon the market response. Hitherto the ‘response’ has been incredible if you believe in numerology. More than 4,000+ bookings on day one itself and total 39,188 units sold up to March 2013 are the clear evidence.

Thread Starter #2

350Z

Core Team
Renault Duster: Looks and Design

It was not too late; I started receiving compliments from neighbors when I parked the Duster at home. “Congrats on ‘Rey-nolt’. This car is stunning” said one. The other approached when I was checking out the exteriors. “Vibhor, You have bought a ‘dhakkad’ car this time”, she excitedly commented. Mind you, people living in my neighborhood are no car aficionados but I was overwhelmed with the compliments. Little did they know this ‘Rey-nolt’ was not mine. Of course, I revealed the truth later. However, what fascinates me is the fact that people now are well-informed about the Renault brand and also approve the strong and muscular appearance of Duster. What if it doesn’t even measures up to the likes of Mahindra Quanto? Leave alone a comparison with Tata Safari.

That’s right. Height of Renault Duster is comparable to a Maruti Wagon-R and length to that of a Ford Fiesta Classic. Yet, it looks macho enough to make a few price-wise bigger SUVs seek for a cover. This masculine nature in design is one of the prime ingredients behind Duster’s success story. Interestingly, it’s also far shorter in size than Tata Sumo Gold but longer and wider than one. Thus, Duster still commands respect of a typical SUV on Indian roads. There’s no doubt that this SUV looks menacing from whichever angle you look at it and excessively flared wheel arches are the major contributing factors too.

Dacia’s usually have a built-to-last image and this model is no exception. Apparently it has a stronger body which is ready to take on abuse on Indian road conditions. You have an option to garnish this body with a choice of total six colors: Metallic Woodland Brown, Metallic Fiery Red, Pearl Supreme White, Metallic Moonlight Silver, Pearl Galaxy Black and Metallic Graphite Grey. Personally speaking, I will bet for either Pearl Supreme White or Metallic Woodland Brown. Latter is a unique shade and safe by all means (dirt, scratches et al) while former shade stands true to its name ‘Pearl’ Supreme White. It’s different than the regular shade of white and glitters pleasingly under sunlight.

Somehow Duster’s front three-stripe grille kept me reminding of Mitsubishi Montero whenever I saw it in dark. People have formed different opinions about its front-end. For some, it appears perplexed while a few on our forum even tagged it as a ‘hibernating frog’. :biggrin: The pentagonal twin barrel headlamps have an adequate throw of beam but those who travel often in dark on isolated areas might want to consider upgrading from the standard bulbs (H1 for low beam and H7 for high beam). On a close observation, I discovered that beams are focused towards right hand as per norm in European countries to suit left hand drive cars to prevent glaring the oncoming traffic. However, this is quite adverse in Indian context and something Renault must look into as soon as possible.

The lower-end of front and rear bumpers carry a contrast of black and are equipped with an artificial skid plate which is made up of plastic for off-road stance. Though Duster has a reasonable ground clearance of eight inches, it’s best avoided for ‘serious’ off-road trials, at least until 4x4 version is out in the market. I was pleasantly surprised once I unlocked latch beneath the hood. Thanks to a hydraulic strut, the bonnet automatically flied upwards translating into no more hassles of manually securing the hood cover with a metal stick.

The side design is simple but it bears an imposing attitude with fat and well-proportionate wheel arches. There’s an oddly curved line flowing through doors which I first mistook for a dent but shortly realized that it’s a design element. You won’t really require side steps to climb up in a Duster. Just in case you do, don’t use the silver cladding located beside door sills for this purpose because of the two reasons. It’s made up of plastic and secondly, it’s not sufficiently wide.

Renault has used old-fashioned lift-back style door handles that are popular on low-cost Maruti Suzuki models in India. The Duster obviously offers standard remote locking but I decided to check locking / unlocking function by manually inserting the key on driver’s door. This effort didn’t go vain as I found something worth sharing in this review. Simply put, It was too rough and crude to operate.

Outside door handles are painted in silver and so the rear view mirrors. They didn’t appear hideous, if not exceptional, due to the use of same color on lower-end (cladding) and on top (roof rails). I only wish if the outside rear view mirrors were designed to be a little longer. The turn indicators are not mounted on rear view mirrors and neither the door pillars are painted in black, unlike the tradition nowadays. But I’m not complaining. The way duster is designed to express more oomph in a simplistic manner is commendable.

Coincidentally I always stumbled upon a handful of Dusters on road whenever I was driving the Duster. From behind, they all look like dune buggies racing. Literally. Its height is short on rear end but still carries forward the brawniness. An obtruding design element complements with the peanut shaped tail lamps (in terms of design, not size). There’s no rear fog lamp but a rear windscreen demister and wash wiper aids to enhance the driving convenience. Reversing and parking the Duster in tight spot is not a great chore unlike in full-grown SUVs. The three reverse parking sensors are audio based only. They trigger a ‘beep’ once the reverse gear is engaged. The continuity of this ‘beep’ eventually increases once you’re nearing an object 40 centimeters away. Those who find this ‘beep’ annoying have a choice to completely turn it off.

Save for Renault’s diamond insignia and ‘RXZ DCi’ badge, there are no badges on rear end whatsoever. Name of the car itself is stamped on chrome stripe above the space for registration number plate. It’s still a mystery what made Renault to choose ‘Duster’ as the name of their Compact SUV considering that the first thing most of us associate this name is with a dusting cloth / brush. Nevertheless, for the popularity Duster has achieved, I’m quite sure Indians have now linked the car as well in their dictionaries.

You have the luxury of carrying additional luggage such as bike rack or ski rack on roof top due to the integrated roof rails. These aren’t artificial plastic roof rails but made up of strong aluminum instead, which can bear a maximum load of 100 kilograms. While flipping through ownership manual, I came across an interesting fact. It boasts of Renault’s concern towards environment stating that the Duster is designed such that it’s 85% recyclable and 95% recoverable! It incorporates several parts made up from recycled plastic or renewable materials. Example: Fauna and flora derived materials (Cotton / wool). Probably now we know the reason why some interior plastic bits in Duster are built to cost.

Just scroll down to read the next part.

Thread Starter #3

350Z

Core Team
Renault Duster: Interiors and Comfort

Absolute space and comfort is the first thing that Renault Duster is appreciated for by whoever sits inside. The doors open reasonably wide enough and have specific halt positions. I.e. You can rigidly halt the doors at certain angles without allowing them to slip. As I mentioned earlier, the car is marginally taller than regular tall-boy hatchbacks but getting into it is as much convenient for kids and elders alike, eliminating the requirement of a dedicated footboard. Ingress and egress is a breeze for front occupants, though since the foot well for rear passengers is ahead of the door, they have to pull back and lift the foot in order to step outside. It might increase inconvenience for passengers who’re above 5’11”. The ‘thud’ of doors may not be equivalent to that of Germans but is satisfying to provide a sense of sturdiness in Duster.

Great part about driving an SUV is ‘king of the road’ feel and this car ticks that box. The seating position provides a pleasant view of the corners as well as of the road. In fact, I got so used to of this seat height that I felt too low-slung upon driving my Fiesta after three days. The dashboard layout is functional and well-laid out with better part being that it doesn’t reflect too much on the windshield. There’s a separate layer of beige tone in middle of dashboard to harmonize Duster’s beige and piano black interior theme.

Steering wheel is on a somewhat heavier side but offers a sound grip. European format stalks (Headlamp on left and wiper functions on right) work with a gentle touch. A quick pull of the wiper stalk deploys the windscreen washer with one sweep while a longer pull does the same but thrice. In the beginning I was tapping the button on tip of wiper’s stalk to activate washer but alas, nothing worked. I tapped it a couple of times again and eventually figured out that it operates the modes of multi-information screen on front. It could be confusing for new owners too because this button is not marked.

The simplistic design form is evident in the instrument cluster too. There’s an unfussy tachometer and speedometer along with multi-information screen situated in the center. Renault is using the same template as on Duster 4x4 (Not launched in India) for the instrument cluster as I could observe a dummy ‘4WD Lock’ and ‘2WD’ icons on it. Additionally, it is difficult to distinguish whether the instrument cluster icons are lit or not under direct sunlight (Particularly indicators).

The multi-information screen is a useful tool enlightening the user of basic details which include: fuel gauge, engine temperature levels, odometer as well as time. Pressing the pin on instrument cluster offers an option to view or reset trip meter or just update the time. Tapping on the button I was talking about earlier offers to choose between the following modes: Average speed, distance to empty, fuel efficiency and liters of fuel consumed. A unique bit is the steering mounted control that operates audio system and Bluetooth supported phone controls. However, the real catch is that they’re not mounted ‘on’ the steering but behind one. It’s an individual device with a set of buttons to adjust volume, flip between audio modes and to receive or cancel the calls.

The bottom of dashboard is comprised of average plastic quality with a few cheap-to-look parts. Take beam adjustment rotary knob for example. Firstly, the numbers are not noticeable because of being imprinted on the plastic itself. Secondly, why this knob is placed so low is beyond me. Similarly, the hood opening lever is unmarked and camouflages like some part of dashboard. The circular air conditioner vents shut and lock with a mild click and are valuable in providing a precise throw of air unlike traditional vents. I should, however, admit that the air conditioner took its own sweet time to cool the cabin but once it does, it does efficiently. The fan is super silent on speed one though it becomes noisy at speed four. Quite surprisingly, rear air conditioner was as noisier at second speed as the front air conditioner is at third or fourth speed level.

Missing automatic climate control feature in a car that costs over a million is sheer disappointment. On the middle of dashboard – You will notice the usual controls that activate heater, air conditioner, air flow positions and air re-circulation option. The head unit is compatible with CD, USB and plays your favorite radio station too. Further it supports pairing mobile phones equipped with Bluetooth technology to make or receive calls. Some may mistake the center knob for volume adjustment, just as I did but that’s not the case. The head unit has separate buttons to adjust volume and the knob serves for surfing through the settings. Audio setup has total four speakers which are adequate for casual listeners but average for audiophiles. I’m no audiophile either but I discovered the sound quality getting rough as I increased the volume. Apart from the common settings (Bass, Treble, Balance, Bluetooth etc), the head unit has an option for switching between languages with French topping the list for an obvious reason.

What’s more in the center console are buttons for central locking, demister (applies to rear windshield and outside rear view mirrors simultaneously), hazard warning lamp button (blinks in sync with indicators), seat belt and passenger airbag deactivation warning icons. The seat belt icon lights up if the driver does not wear the seatbelt. It’s also supposed to sound a ‘beep’ but that didn’t occur during our test. There’s a vacant space for two buttons, next to parking sensor switch, reserved for Duster 4x4 (For 4x4 mode and ESP). Duster’s hand brake lever has a long play but Renault has a justified reason doing so as they knew they’re leaving the driver in misery by placing outside rear view mirror adjustment joystick button beneath.

Glove box compartment is designed to soak A4 size documents. It’s deep and wide enough and contains separate slot for storing the ownership manual. There’s a lamp in the compartment too but it functions only when the parking lamps are switched on. It’s strongly recommended not to store liquid substances in there as they could damage the OBD (On-board diagnostics) port located deep inside the glove box. The cabin has plenty of cubbyholes along with a band attached on co-driver side of center console to hold a bottle.

The entire vehicle has a spacious feel and lower window positioning further aids to a clear all-around visibility. The front seats are comfortable and well-contoured. In fact, driver’s seat is also privileged with lumbar and height adjustment options. Although the adjustments are smooth to use but the driver needs to move up from the seat in order to increase its height. Moreover, front seats do not have a deep footwell to stretch your legs (if there’s a long passenger sitting behind) but yet they offer a manageable legroom.

Something that I missed on long drives in Duster was a front center armrest. It’s good-to-have feature but certainly not a deal breaker. The doors are fairly solid with a neat piano black finish that extends up to the handles. While the front doors pockets are suitable for storing magazines, it doesn’t have separately sculpted contours for bottles. I was able to keep 500ML water bottle without a fuss but 600ML was a squeeze. It’s also important to note that pockets on rear doors do not exist at all. Just like most of the buttons on Duster, power window switches are smooth to use and work with soft fingers.

Contrarily, the door lock pins are rough and demand reasonable amount of efforts. Locking the driver’s door manually with lock pin does not engage central locking but on the other hand, central locking (through dedicated button) is applied even if one of the doors is left open. More amusingly, one doesn’t need to lift door lock pin to open the front doors. Just pull the chrome latch and it happens automatically. This exact feature is not replicated on rear doors for safety concerns for young ones. Of course, there is child lock too for additional protection. Since the ‘hatch’ is counted as a door, there’s no separate switch for locking or unlocking the boot. Thus, its functioning is in line with central locking.

Until I didn’t experience the rear, I was in a fallacy that driver’s seat is most comfortable to be in Duster but sitting down on rear seat cleared the air. This area is relatively more comfortable and roomier. Believe it or not, the rear center armrest is soft enough to act like a pillow. One of my passengers actually used it as cushion for a quick nap during long drive. The rear seats although are meant to accommodate three occupants in comfort but the rear air conditioner assembly awfully obstructs the legroom unless one is prepared to keep a leg on one side each. Overall, legroom is adequate unless the front seats are fully pushed backward. Renault has attempted to smartly make the most by incurving the front seat’s backrest to allow additional leg space. The rear air conditioner has maximum two speed levels for fan and only a single vent translating that rear seat occupants have to fight initially for positioning of the vent because the unit doesn’t cools instantly.

Contrasting to the front power window buttons which are placed more sensibly on a separate podium, the rear power window buttons are stuck right in the middle of door armrests. It several times caused power windows to open inadvertently due to elbow of the passengers while travelling on rugged terrain. Only if 475 liters of boot space does not suffice – You can fold the rear seat forward in order to access a massive cargo area of 1064 liters. Apart from 12V socket (accessible to rear occupants) and boot lamp, the cargo area has hooks to tie up the luggage. Note that spare wheel is an alloy but it sits under the car (Not in the boot). However, there’s a compartment in the boot itself storing the essential tool kit, which astonishingly skips a warning triangle.

I’m afraid; the toolkit cover flap is made up of low-cost plastic and may become a cause of rattle in future. Thankfully, our media test car clocked over 13,000 Kms developed no signs of rattles whatsoever but certain squeaking noise was evident on rough surface drives. To hide your baggage, there’s a detachable parcel tray which can hold up light items (Jacket, folders etc). You can choose to either totally remove this shelf or retain such that its front end lifts upward along with the boot door.

Thread Starter #4

350Z

Core Team
Renault Duster: Performance, Ride & Handling

To be honest and straightforward, utility vehicles have never been my cup of tea. Most of my life has revolved around hatchbacks and sedans until now but driving the Duster, I felt at home. It provides best of both the worlds in real sense, the convenience of a sedan and capabilities of an SUV. The higher driving seat position proposes a feel of safety and boosts your confidence. Renault Duster is available with three engine versions in Indian market, one petrol and two diesels engines with tweaked power output settings:

• Renault K4M (104 PS Petrol): It’s a four cylinder 1598cc MPFi motor that churns out power of 102 BHP @ 5,850 RPM and 145 NM of torque @ 3,750 RPM.

• Renault K9K (85 PS Diesel): Jointly developed by Renault-Nissan, K9K is a well-known diesel engine which has secured its position under the hood of numerous cars. This four cylinder 1461cc direct common rail injection (DCi) motor is tuned to produce 85 PS (83 BHP) @ 3,750 RPM and 200 NM torque @ 1,900 RPM. K9K is used in various configuration across Renault, Nissan and Dacia range. In fact, our very own Logan (Now called Verito) runs on the same heart detuned to 65 BHP.

• Renault K9K (110 PS Diesel): It’s the same K9K diesel engine but tweaked for enhanced power output (thereby compromising on fuel consumption) and employs variable geometry turbo charger opposed to a fixed geometry turbocharger unlike in 85 PS engine. It has a raw power of 110 PS (108 BHP) @ 3,900 RPM in hand and a flesh of 248 NM torque @ 2,250 RPM. This is also the only engine which is equipped with a six speed manual transmission on Duster.
In just three days, we examined the competitiveness of Renault Duster in varied conditions ranging straight from lower Aravali range to Yamuna expressway and bumper-to-bumper traffic of New Delhi. The first thing I observed upon turning the ignition on is that the engine starts with an abrupt and unusual vibration. Though past that, the noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) levels are well under the check. The regular hatchback and sedan users will find ABC pedals’ position lifted upward. Particularly, it’s the clutch pedal that feels heavier (not hard). On the initial day itself, after a drive in traffic, my left foot was paining. Perhaps it’s more or less about getting used to since by the third day, I experienced no such problems.

The initial pickup of Duster is sluggish but don't mistake it for a slouch either. It's capable to cover 0 - 100 Kmph in mere 11.8 seconds which is a respectable figure for an SUV. Beyond the turbo lag, power gradually begins to generate once the tachometer needle touches 1,500 RPM mark. The short initial gear ratios further make this task easier. That’s when one can start enjoying the raw power of Duster in hand along with the additional sixth gear. 110PS engine is effortless to drive at high speeds and is incredible for cruising on motorways. The cabin is isolated from most of the unwanted noise but diesel clatter is clearly audible outside. NVH are albeit well-controlled but beyond 95 Kmph, a hissing wind noise tends to find its way in to the cabin.

The ride and handling characteristics of Renault Duster are unarguably matchless for an SUV within this budget. I drove the Duster on some uneven roads which I often travel on with Fiesta. This Renault gulps small patches like a cakewalk while bigger potholes are neatly filtered too. The Duster remains composed on regular high speeds but on the north of 140 Kmph, the vehicle loses its steadiness and so does the turbo engine which whistles at its peak. On a side note, the ownership manual indicates of an over-speed buzzer beyond 120 Kmph, it beeps for 10 seconds per 30 seconds, but I could hear nothing in this case.

A short turning radius of 5.2 meters makes Duster delightful to maneuver in the cities and a quick drive will make someone familiar of its gear ratios. The initial gears are short for an improved acceleration though I had to make a downshift on an incline, which my Fiesta never demanded, to stay in the power band. On the other hand, the tall fourth, fifth and sixth gears make the car apt for long distance cruising. You could switch to the sixth gear once speedometer runs over 80 Kmph and the tachometer needle will hover at around < 2,000 RPM. Thanks to monocoque construction, body roll is restricted. Even though Duster maneuvers like a sedan, the warning sticker on sun visor held me back from sharp cornering and kept reminding that I’m driving an SUV. Braking is quite average and not so confidence inspiring. Anyhow it does the job alright and is supported with ABS.

Thread Starter #5

350Z

Core Team
Renault Duster: Safety, Fuel Efficiency and Verdict

I’m overwhelmed with the manner Renault has shown a serious concern towards safety. Its ownership manual has an exhaustive chapter dedicated on safety and driving tips. Apart from it, top-end variant of Duster itself comes equipped with a pack load of thoughtful safety features. Dual front airbags, ABS with EBD + Brake Assist, driver seat belt reminder, over speed buzzer to name a few. Upcoming Duster 4x4 is also likely to offer ESP (Electronic stability program).

This review will remain incomplete if I do not answer “Kitna deti hai”? I was able to extract an average mileage of 12.7 Kmpl under mixed driving conditions with air conditioner switched on most of the time. I’m sure the 85 PS version will be more wallet friendly and that’s what Renault India claims too. ARAI certified mileage figures boils down to 13.24 Kmpl for Petrol, 19.01 Kmpl and 20.45 Kmpl for 110 PS and 85 PS Diesel engines respectively. Sure, it sounds lucrative for a vehicle having dimensions this big.

Renault Duster is a globally acclaimed product and a top-seller in U.K where it carries a waitlist of up to six months. It’s safe enough to state that Duster has also proved its mettle in India. With a brawny design, solid build, spaciousness and a refined engine, it’s just the right thing for Indians. Being the first actual ‘Compact SUV’ in the segment, it has given the Duster a major advantage over others in this market. For someone who’s looking out of the box and demands a blend of sedan and SUV rolled into one, this car is an apt choice. Presently, only worry is the price point which Renault has inflated over the time within a year. There’s a sudden surge of compact SUVs rushing into the Indian market shortly. The closest upcoming competitor is Ford Ecosport, whether it has potential to dethrone the Duster can be known only when we road test it next week but for the time being, it’s important for Renault to play smart in order to sustain in this battle field.

Thread Starter #6

350Z

Core Team
Renault Duster: Likes, Dislikes and Star Ratings

You'll love: [thumbsup]

> Muscular design and a strong build quality

> It blends the convenience of a sedan in SUV outfit

> Impeccable ride and handling characteristics in an SUV

> The refined and responsive 110PS K9K engine at high speeds

> Reasonable fuel consumption figures (85 PS is more wallet friendly)

You'll loathe: [thumbsdown]

> Exaggerated pricing from Renault India

> Evident low-level plastic material on certain areas

> Unfit in terms of feature usability and ergonomics

> Lacks the initial punch due to noticeable turbo lag

> Skips various features offered in similarly priced sedans and UVs alike

The Ratings:

> Design + Quality................:

> Comfort + Features...........:

> Engine + Performance.......:

> Handling + Ride Quality.....:

> Safety + Security Levels....:

> Overall Fuel Consumption..:

> Sales + Service Network:...:

> Value For Money Factor......:

Did You Know?

> The correct pronunciation of ‘Renault’ is ‘Re-no’ not ‘Rey-nolt’.

> The central locking remote battery has a service life of approximately 2 Years.

> The Duster's fuel lid flap has a separate holder to rest the cap while re-fuelling.

> Duster is based on Dacia's B0 platform. The same platform on which 'Logan' is based.

> Export model of Renault Duster is also available with a driver’s seat heating feature.

> Similarly, it also has an upper cab storage compartment which is a miss in Indian model.

> French version of Renault Duster (LPG) comes with a tyre inflation kit too – A useful add-on.

> You could request the dealer to install passenger airbag deactivation switch (to use a child seat).

> Renault doesn’t recommend using air-vent type car perfumes to prevent damage on the plastics.

> The demister, which works for rear windscreen and ORVMs, shuts off automatically after 12 minutes.

> The ownership manual (Indian version) is fully prepared for 4x4 and automatic transmission Duster.

> The air conditioner will also automatically stop functioning in case the outside temperature is too low.

> Headlamps do not switch off after turning off the ignition. They buzz an alarm instead once the door is opened.

> European model has power window switches in center console. Thankfully not in India. It’s an ergonomic blunder already.

> Audio head unit backlits only when it’s individually turned on. It does not have remote control either. Plus, it works even if key is removed.

> The patch on driver’s side mud mat was interfering with foot while fully depressing the clutch. It might be a concern for those with long foot.

Renault Duster Technical Facts:

Leaded Fuel Restrictor:

It's strictly prohibited to use leaded fuel in Duster. Doing so poses a damage to the anti-pollution system and may void the standard warranty. In order to ensure that fuel tank is not filled with leaded Petrol, the tank filler neck contains restrictor fitted with a foolproof system which only allows the nozzle for unleaded petrol to be used at fuel pumps.

Engine Oil Change Alert:

The car has an engine oil change warning lamp on instrument cluster. It takes into account total distance covered, not the time interval. However it’s advisable to change the oil as stated in ownership manual regardless of the light. To reset the light, after oil change, follow the steps mentioned below:

> Switch off the ignition and wait for ten seconds.

> Depress the accelerator pedal completely and simultaneously depress brake pedal three times.

Just repeat this process in case the warning light still doesn’t goes off.

Running-in Period Guidance (Petrol):

Do not exceed 130 Kmph for the initial 1,000 Kilometers in highest gear or 3,000 - 3,500 RPM. Expect suitable performance only after 3,000 Kms.

Running-in Period Guidance (Diesel):

Do not exceed 2,500 RPM fir the initial 1,500 Kilometers. Suitable performance should be expected only after a running of 6,000 Kilometers.

Thread Starter #7

350Z

Core Team
Renault Duster: Price Comparison and Specifications

Renault Duster Engine & Dimension Specifications

Renault Duster Price Comparison

Note: Pricing is Ex. Showroom, Mumbai. This chart includes only diesel variants with manual transmission.

Thread Starter #8

350Z

Core Team
Renault Duster: Video Review

The Automotive India Car Of The Year - 2012

TAICOTY 2012 is a prestigious accolade for Duster. And it’s certainly not only us who think so.

Note: Visit this link for detailed information on TAICOTY 2012 Awards.

Renault Duster 360° Exterior Tour

An exterior walk-around video of Renault Duster. Plus, the audible clatter of 110 PS DCi engine.

Renault Duster Ignition

The vibration which I intended to show is less evident in this video.

Renault Duster High Speed NVH Levels

Experience how it feels to be in a Duster at high speed. Also notice how flawlessly it gulps the bad patches.

Thread Starter #9

350Z

Core Team
Renault Duster: Pictorial Review

A bold ‘Renault’ insignia on the front grille.

Renault Duster appears imposing whatever angle you look at it. Here are some scenic shots.

Don’t mistake it for a real skid guard. It’s made up of plastic and more of a design element.

The long peanut shaped taillamps.

Swirl design alloys are simple yet look catchy.

Old-fashioned pull back type door handles. Manually locking / unlock the doors was a rough process.

Renault Duster’s size comparison with Mahindra Quanto. Quanto clearly has a better height.

That said, You can compare Duster’s height to that of a Maruti Wagon-R.

Renault Duster still looks imposing with all doors open. Really!

That’s a plastic cladding. Don’t use it as a side step. You won’t need one anyway.

Save for variant name, there are no badges whatsoever. The ‘Duster’ is imprinted on the chrome bar.

Thread Starter #10

350Z

Core Team

Nice looking headlamps with a tinge of aggressiveness.

Unlike latest trend, the side indicators continue to find their way on fenders.

Fog lamps work well. The lower end bumpers are in contrasting black color.

The wipers felt rather light but cleaned windshield in a single sweep. Note the missing plastic cowl.

An oversized fuel lid adds to the machoness. Observe a dedicated capholder on the flap.

The door handles and outside rear view mirrors are painted in silver. They don't look hideous, if not exceptional.

A muscular side rear quarter view of Renault Duster.

The maximum limit rear door windows open due to the limitation in door design.

Rear wash wiper is standard on top-end variant. It's a useful feature anyday.

Those are 'actual' roof rails made up of aluminium. Renault recommends using them for a maximum load of 100 Kgs.

The rear-end design is fairly low slung but obtruding design facets continue to offer the car a solid stance.

An exposed towing hook. Duster has audio based parking sensors. The continuity of their beep increases once you’re approaching an object 40 cms far.

The sound deadening material although helps reducing the clatter but not totally eliminate. It’s clearly audible outside.

The only marking from which one can distinguish the 110 PS model.

Hydraulic strut for bonnet is a feature providing great convenience.

Air filter service indicator is situated on top of the engine cover. It turns red when the filter is clogged up.

Maintenance free Exide battery bear the Renault – Nissan partnership sign.

Windscreen washer reservoir fluid is located far off in a corner.

Do NOT wash under the hood with water.

Renault endorsing ‘Elf’ engine oil everywhere (including manual). In fact, our test car had its sticker on rear windshield too.

A single fat exhaust pipe.

The chassis number sticker is located where usually you’ll find tyre pressure instructions.

Tyre pressure placard is stuck on the driver’s door. It indicates air pressure for motorways and non-motorway (off-road) usage.

Presently, RXZ is the top most variant of Duster’s line up in India.

Thread Starter #11

350Z

Core Team

A functional yet uncomplicated dashboard layout.

Be it cabin or the rear seats, Renault Duster is spacious throughout.

Front foot well isn’t too deep but provides a manageable legroom.

Lumbar support and height adjust are driver seat only benefits. Lumbar support is a boon for long drives.

Found an unknown wire hanging just like that underneath the driver’s seat.

Seatbelt height adjuster is an important feature for the safety of kids travelling inside.

Circular air conditioner vents are eventually replacing the conventional vents. The one’s on Duster lock with a soft click.

Air recirculation mode switch isn’t visible at a quick glance. How I wish if there was a separate button for it too.

Two empty slots are reserved for 4x4 Duster (4WD Mode & ESP). Use button on extreme right to turn on or off the parking sensors.

Headlamp stalk is on left while wipers stalk on the right as a cost saving measure.

I kept tapping the tip of wiper stalk to activate windscreen washer jet. Shortly realized, it operates MID screen instead!

Steering mounted audio controls are NOT located ‘on’ the steering. They’re useful nevertheless.

Turning on the middle lamp lights other two as well. Observe the microphone ahead for speaking via Bluetooth connectivity.

No vanity mirror on driver's side but instead a toll card storage holder. The sticker on right kept reminding that I'm driving an SUV.

Heard of SRS (supplementary restrain system) Airbags. What’s SRP? It stands for 'system for restrain and protection'.

Thread Starter #12

350Z

Core Team

Head unit is quite basic with rubbery buttons. The rotary knob surfs through settings (not volume) unlike conventional head units.

Glovebox is deep with ownership manual storage compartment. Its lamp works in sync with parking lamps. Note the OBD port inside.

Just an example of the low-level plastics. Why the headlamp beam adjuster is placed at so bottom is beyond me.

An unmarked lever which camouflages to appear a part of dashboard is actually the hood opening knob.

Fuel lid opening lever is long enough.

You’ll miss the dead pedal while cruising. Particularly, it's the clutch that feels heavy and needs some time to get accustomed to.

A convenient fuse box location.

A handful of spare fuses are attached on its cover itself.

Reverse gear is located forward. I accidentally shifted to sixth a couple of times while attempting to reverse.

Exposed handbrake mechanism due to poor plastic fitting.

Handbrake lever has a long play but it has a justified reason for so. And it’s this. The inconvenient positioning of ORVM adjuster.

The outside rear view mirrors have a broad height but fall somewhat short on the length.

Glossy black piano finish appears soothing with light shade of beige.

A soft click is enough to open or shut the power windows but no one-touch feature is disappointing.

These door lock pins are awfully rough to use.

Gladly, You just need to pull this latch (without pulling pins) to unlock front doors. BTW the exposed screw makes it look cheap.

A nice unobstructed view of the rear. Reversing is as simple as in any other car.

Rear seats are comfortable for three adults if the middle one is prepared to sacrifice on the leg comfort.

This armrest is as soft as a pillow. These two are the only proper cup / bottle holder on rear because the rear doors lack pockets.

Middle headrest is fixed on the rear seat.

Just a single air conditioner vent but two speed positions. It takes some time to cool the cabin.

A view of how forward the rear air conditioning unit extends up to.

There's totally no room at all if you choose to put a bottle.

Thread Starter #13

350Z

Core Team
Re: Renault Duster Road Test Drive Review

A 12V socket is located behind left rear passanger's seat. It'd have been more useful if placed near the rear AC console.

The rear quarter glass is huge enough and offers a sense of improved spaciousness in Duster.

You could use this shelf to store light documents and cloths or just entirely remove it for enhanced utility.

The front flap will lift upwards with boot if you decide to tie up the two strings.

475 liters of boot space still makes you unhappy? No problems. Here’s 1064 liters in hand. 60:40 split would have made it more usable though.

Rear seat belt holder is a useful touch. First, it prevents unnecessary rattles. Secondly, it secures the belt when the rear seat is folded.

A couple of hooks provided on the boot floor prevents your luggage from rolling on and off.

This handle comes handy to shut the boot.

All tools are nicely secured in a separate compartment in the boot. What concerns me is its cheap plastic cover (on right).

Spare wheel is an alloy and neatly hidden under the car. Duster 4x4 has it in regular place (i.e. inside the trunk).

The interiors have adequate lighting. Three lamps in the front and two at rear. Plus, a dedicated lamp in boot.

MID screen (from left to right): Odometer, Liters consumed, Tripmeter, Fuel consumption, Average speed & Distance to empty.

Low beam headlamps throw. Notice the alignment is focused towards right for European countries.

Low beam headlamps throw with fog lamps on.

High beam headlamps throw.

High beam headlamps throw with fog lamps on.

I’m astonished that size of first-aid kit is getting smaller in newer cars. It contains a bandage stripe and a few gauzes.

Key comparison with an entry-level Smartphone. Duster’s key (on left) is heavier and a tad longer than my Fiesta’s.

You will find references to avoid sharp cornering every now and then.

I felt at home with Duster but it was time to bid adieu with a hope to meet again when it debuts in 4x4 avatar.

Thread Starter #14

350Z

Core Team
Renault Duster: International Flavors

In this unique section, we show some international flavors of The Automotive India Car of the Year 2012.

Dacia Duster Concept (2009)

Dacia-Duster-Concept-2009.jpg

Dacia-Duster-Concept-Rear.jpg

Dacia Duster Trophée Andros (2010)

Dacia-Duster-Trophee-1.jpg

Dacia-Duster-Trophee-2.jpg

Dacia Duster European Model (2011)

Dacia-Duster-UK.jpg

Dacia Duster S.W.A.T Pick Up

Renault-Duster-SWAT.jpg

Renault Duster D-Cross Concept (2012)

Renault-DCross-Concept.jpg

Dacia Duster Dakar Rally Prepared (2013)

Dacia-Duster-Dakar-Rally.jpg

© TheAutomotiveIndia.com. Attempting to republish the text or pictures anyway without prior permission of our authorities is a punishable offence.

Thread Starter #15

350Z

Core Team
Re: Renault Duster Road Test Drive Review

Note: Renault Duster official road test review now online. It’s unquestionably the most comprehensive test drive review of Duster, atleast in the Indian online media. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom