Restoring 1988 Maruti 800

Thread Starter #1
So Dear friends

As discussed in SS80"s thread about restoring maruti 800 1988 model,I m hereby starting my own thread,views are always welcome regarding all my queries.As I belong to Bhubaneswar in Orissa And from a middle class family where my parents believe in saving every penny of their hard earned money in fixed deposits and gold ,the spirit of being a biker as well as a proud owner of a good car had never died in me.I kept looking at people moving at the road inside four doors and a roof may it be rain,hot summer,or chilling winters somehow gave birth to a strong urge for owning a CAR,but my family completely was against it as they thought it to be a wastage of precious petrol and of course MONEY.Tried to convince them a lot but finally failed..For every tics and nics we were solely dependent on our Uncles Swift which as usual was the only source for transportation for 3 or more people..but it was very uneasy for me to beg for something which wasnt mine..
So after many sleepless nites and arguments with my mother i finally decided to spend all my savings and opt one..discussed with one of my close friends who had a 1988 model M800 A/C having Bihar registration,which he bought it from True value a couple of months ago and had been mishandled a lot.
The car was lying in front of a Garage as a lot (Means a lot) of white smoke was coming out of its tail and was quite impossible for him to get it in shape as he was undergoing huge financial crisis.
So by mutual we agreed to restore it and contacted the garage owner and he estimated Around 25.000 for body and engine makeover.
Posting initial pics....

The car has been restored by now and will be posting other pics by evening..till then suggestions and comments welcome.

The cost of Parts and labour charge listed below:

1)Engine overhaulin :-Rs.2500
2)Lathe work and new pistons,gaskets and all others :-Rs.8000
3)Cross member Rusted ,for new:- Rs.1050
4)all body Welding and denting :-Rs. 2500
5)New head lights :-Rs 500
6)Seat cover leather:-Rs.3500
7)Balance rod and shock absorber bushes :-Rs. 230
8)New battery:-Rs.3400
9)Radiator soldering:-Rs.200
10)Painting:-Rs.8000(Including Paint)
11)Engine oil:-Rs.650
12)Filter:-Rs.50
13)Gear lever Housing and mounting:-Rs.600
14)New Drive shaft(Right):-Rs 2200,opted for 2nd hand :-Rs.1000
15)Self start Amatuer :-Rs.900.
16)Bosch wiper blades:-Rs.450.
17)Backlight right rear :-Rs.200.

These were the first time cost incurred by the mechanic..
pls provide views..

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
Cost of DAPIC CD,USB,MMC Card Head unit and 2 no.s of Bravo 400 watt speakers:-Rs.3600+2100.
,Rest 4 are as it is,disconnected speakers of Phillips front and connected to rear sony attached in the side panels..Music is a Boom ,but quite uncomfortable for rear passengers in loud volume..

Thread Starter #6
Thank you silver dove,as i have already told that the restoration is complete now but many minor works are pending due to finance probs..for example
:-1)Steering box as a whole needs to be changed ,bcoz on smooth roads it rattles like hell..
2)hand brake Cable and handle needs to be changed
3)Front tyres
4)A/c doesnt work at daytime,but cools at nite.
5)front dash board glovebox cover.
6)Engine oil leak from oil sump.(1st 1 ltr brand new engine oil wasted in 5 days as the leakage was from oil switch,replaced,cost Rs.190)..
7)meters not working properly..(What will be cost of new/repair)

FEEDBACK PLS

Hi arunabh8899, every thing seems to be good, you could have opted for some other color of seat cover so that it would match your car color.

Did the A/C work ? Check for the gas, as far as I know the compressor would have grown weak. I suggest don't spend money on it costs come up till15k.

Thread Starter #8
Thank you varun ji for your feedback but as this car now have two owners,me and my brother(Friend but lot more like a elder brother to me) the seat colour was chosen by him as he perceives brown to be his lucky colour otherwise i would have gone for black and white or blue..
A/C was thoroughly inspected and new gas has also been installed ,,no leakages anywhere,but amazing thing is that A/C is chilling at evening but in the sun it seems like i m sitting in front of a DESERT COOLER.Is the R12 type A/C has the problem..?)
Pls solve my problem bcoz it very humid here at BBSR and i sweat a lot...

For problems related to the A/c Varun is your go to person.I will leave you to him.If you have more problems post a list.

The speedometer combo price is Rs 1638.68 at MGP.
Thermometer Assembly costs Rs 893/1091
Fuel gauge assembly costs Rs 1291.13

The complete dashboard might cost around Rs1500

What color is your car now?

Last edited:
Type 1 Dashboard ( I mean only dashboard not even the air vents or glove box lid etc) costs 17xx MGP.

Regarding AC:
Initially I too used to use AC in my car, it worked fine for a few days. Later it used to cool perfectly in the evening & do nothing in daytime. I could not accept that huge drop in power in my car when I hit the AC switch so one final day. I completely removed AC setup from my car (DIY!) Now car is freely revving.

Please do not invest money in fixing AC, Old cars especially Carb 800's cant take the load of the compressor. You will feel like driving with handbrake on!

As Varun said elsewhere, 15K plus will be easily spent in repairing or replacing parts. If you get it fixed also once in a few weeks/ a month the gas escapes & again 1K to refill it.

All the best.

Thread Starter #12
Thanks for the info...my only aim for keeping the a/c is,as our roads are full of dust in evry few kilometers,at least it will prevent me from dust allergy..Colour of my car is 2k bottle green type at the top AND 2k silver at bottom.
Still regretting that should have bought MH 02 registered Non A/C 1990 model 800,as i was getting it for only Rs. 30 k.,or an omni at 45k having no probs.But believe me hadnt thought that carb model a/c will be performing like this.

Anyways
i wud like to know there is a sound of jingling bells under the bonnet when the car is in neutral and i have disengaged the clutch ,and also when i turn of the engine, and goes off when clutch is engaged..the mech says its the sound from pressure plate,Is their any way to stop it other than changing the pressure plate...
Suggest pls

They could try surfacing the pressure plate.Must be rusted or something caught in there.Are you sure this is not the timing belt that is worn.That makes a whining sound that goes away once you rev the car.

If you need R134a compressor, you will have to change the entire a/c kit which includes condenser, drier tank, cooling coil, pipes , thermo switch.

If you find a good 134a at junk, its well and good. Total from junk would come upto 10k (if compressor is good) New compressor will cost 13k. Condenser 3.5k, cooling coil 4k, Drier & pipes Around 6k.

Thread Starter #15
thnks jarpickle,Varun ji the problem of jingle sound only goes off when i press the clutch pedal to its full and comes again when i release it,will ask my mech to surface and check the pressure plate..Today i m going to change the front tyre and buy a new glove box that i have ordered..post you the pics soon...
Another query of mine was
1)Whn i start the car in the morning the engine vibrates a lot literally shaking the vehicle but after few minutes of idling it vanishes and the engine is smooth as butter..Possible reasons,is that due to old carb..?
2)When i press the brake pedal with the headlights on,the stereo turns of with a odd sound..is that the earthing problem or anything serious..?fearing about the reliability of wiring as its has been untouched since birth..

Help needed..

Top Bottom