Ambassador or Premier Padmini? Which Do You Prefer? A Nostalgic Poll.

Which Car - Ambassador or Padmini?

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
Here (TAI), we all usually discuss about the perfomance, FE, Reliability, ownership experience, long drives of New model cars from every brand. For a change, please share the information of the Old Road kings, Ambassador and Fiat. Also share the experience you all had with them and details of their engines etc. Say that which car you would choose in these two regarding all terms.

Thread Starter #2
I prefer an Amby, since my childhood involved every trips in it. It was a 1988 Mark 4, which had a large steering wheel with horn in a ring shape with a 'H' logo at center. It had a Matador engine (Diesel), in which we used to fill water in radiator frequently during travelling at regular intervals. Matador engines used to be heavy as it was a truck engine and also it was the first Diesel engine fitted in an Amby many decades before. Eventhough we said its a Diesel car, there was many niggling issues constantly present in it.

Front tyres will wear out so quick, since the weight of the engine was awkward to its body. Alignment is a must after every long trip. Clutch will be worn out soon, as it is the fate of Ambassador with Matador engine. But the car's instrument clusters is really helpful in knowing the car's condition. It was located at the center. Temperature gauge will cross more than 80 degrees, once when water in radiator decreases. As coolant was not available during those days, we always use to have water bottles as it requires water top up frequently during journey. It was having a bench type seat which can accomodate 3 persons including driver easily, since it was having a steering gear. Also a Matador powered Amby cant be started like today's cars. There will a seperate push button for Heater. Turning the ignition and pressing the Heater button must be done simultaneously. There was Alarm which will continuosly make Beep sound until Heater plugs reaches its operating temperature. Once the Beep sound vanishes, the engine is ready to start.

Like present day's Diesel vehicles, we cant use it occassionally, because it was having a Dynamo (like today's Alternator) for charging the Battery. As Dynamo cant hold the charge like Alternator, it wont start if we keep the engine idle for a couple of days. So daily running was a must. Inspite of these issues, the car served us for 22 years without any major breakdown. I dont like Fiat, as it was not comfortable and spacious like Amby.

Please share your own views regarding these cars and which would you prefer.

Having owned both of them I prefer Premier Padmini. It is a thousand times more reliable than Amby. (when comparing those of 90's)

I have owned both but I prefer padmini especially the 80's models. It is more simple and is less prone to niggles and pady can be modified easly since it it lighter and smaller. Amby is renowed for its bently rear seats :)

Well what i remember from my childhood days we almost owned 8-10 Amby's and all were white color, i guess one was black. It is one of the most comfortable, toughest and safest car but yes they had their own sweet of niggles. We have owned 2 premier padmini's and 1 Premier 118 NE (which we still own). And to be honest my pick is the 118 NE.

I like this car because it has a very good stability, it is very very comfortable, all the seats are like a DAMM sofa (you can actually put 5 people and they will be comfortable), an awesome gear box and a great pickup (comparing to Amby and Fiat) and the looks. It actually looks like a sedan. I learned driving on this beast and it was just amazing. I have literally drifted my 118 NE at speeds and it still does 0-90 km/h in a very good time considering the age of the car.

I am fortunate enough to have experienced the Premier Padmini Deluxe BE which was my dads first car. We sold it for 50k buck some 5-6yrs ago. I was pretty young when the car was sold, so never got a chance to get behind its wheel on a long stretch, however, i did drive it for 20-30kms on SH (sorry to say, but without License). Further, the car had some underbody issues which was prone to rusts.

Fiat padmini if i am on the driving seat (oohh for the drive and the grunt of the engine)
Amby if i am on the rear seat (wow for the back seat comfort and safety offered)

I can't be more honest than this [;)]

Premier Padmini ...my dad bought it 17 years ago (3rd hand) ...I only drove it for next 2 years and then sold. Never enjoyed the car.

amby rocks anytime guys than punny padmini! its more solid and looks miles ahead of padmini. plz add contessa also in poll! [glasses]

For me it has to be Amby but again i have a soft feeling towards Padmini as well, so i would not be able to take sides in this matter[;)]

Always its Amby...
Premier Padmini is also a great car in that time.
But Padmini vs amby means, its always Amby the Great.

Amby Rocks...

I prefer Ambassador mainly because it is more comfortable to sit especially in the rear and boot is humongous.Also I felt the mark 2 and mark 3 looked far better than Premier Padmini.No one can deny stately presence an Ambassador had in its hey days.

I will choose Amby because It has the advantage of good sturdy body, good space and comfortable seats,also one of the cheapest safest reliable car in india.[:D]

Top Bottom