Restoration: Does it Make Sense Anymore?

Thread Starter #1
Hello everybody,It's been quite a long time since I've been here.Glad to be back!

I just turned 19 and I always loved old cars and bikes ever since I was a little boy.Now that I got a Nod for getting my first vehicle,My budget is Rs.1,00,000.Idea is to get one,Learn to drive and then restore it back to its glory.

Options that came in my mind

1) Premier Padmini
2) Daewoo Matiz
3) Maruti SS80/SB308

If a Bike

1) Yamaha RX 100
2) TVS Suzuki Shogun
3) Yamaha RX 135 5 Speed

(Yeah,I want to be different )

So now,The reason for this Thread strikes.There were many rumors that

Govt is planning to ban Vehicles that are above 15 Years old,meaning they will NOT be allowed to run on public roads,nor get re-registeration,FC and Insurance renewal

Isn't this a huge blow to so many old classics ? What is their fate ? What would be mine,If I bought and restore one and RIGHT when I finish it this rule is applied ?

I'm in need of your help guys.Have a great day :)

Re: Restoration - Does it make sense anymore?

Hello everybody,It's been quite a long time since I've been here.Glad to be back!

I just turned 19 and I always loved old cars and bikes ever since I was a little boy.Now that I got a Nod for getting my first vehicle,My budget is Rs.1,00,000.Idea is to get one,Learn to drive and then restore it back to its glory.

Options that came in my mind

1) Premier Padmini
2) Daewoo Matiz
3) Maruti SS80/SB308

If a Bike

1) Yamaha RX 100
2) TVS Suzuki Shogun
3) Yamaha RX 135 5 Speed

(Yeah,I want to be different ��)

So now,The reason for this Thread strikes.There were many rumors that

Govt is planning to ban Vehicles that are above 15 Years old,meaning they will NOT be allowed to run on public roads,nor get re-registeration,FC and Insurance renewal

Isn't this a huge blow to so many old classics ? What is their fate ? What would be mine,If I bought and restore one and RIGHT when I finish it this rule is applied ?

I'm in need of your help guys.Have a great day :)
Welcome back Bharath, congrats on turning 19, and with a DL (I presume?).

Go ahead with your childhood dream, even if you need to scrap your car in 15 years, you would have lot's of stories how you fulfilled them.

I suggest first look around your family friends and acquaintance for used cars, before browsing the market.

All the best.

Regards
Vinod

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Couple of things need to be kept in mind before purchasing a Vintage Car:

1) You need to have a good source / acquaintance who can guide you to a suitable car.

2) Set your budget. How much you are willing to spend on the car for purchase and post purchase.

3) Locate the source of spares in advance and then move to the purchase.

4) A background check of the car will be helpful too.

5) Do you have a place to park it? and preferably a closed / shed parking will be better.

6) In case of cars like ss80, Padmini, Matiz et al you'll have to get a fitness certificate too and if you also change the color of the car, better will be to get it updated in RC Book.

Coming to the rules, You may take your car(s)/Bike(s) to the vintage rallies and in daily drive you might not be able to use them. Owning and Restoring a Vintage is a very nice move provided you have the resources and time to devote to it's upkeep.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #4

Welcome back Bharath, congrats on turning 19, and with a DL (I presume?).

Go ahead with your childhood dream, even if you need to scrap your car in 15 years, you would have lot's of stories how you fulfilled them.

I suggest first look around your family friends and acquaintance for used cars, before browsing the market.

All the best.

Regards
Vinod
Thank you sir,Yes I have a Driver License.Applied it the next day after I turned 18 and got it in February 2017.Also,15 years means the car's age from the Production date and NOT the date with the Owners.So Pretty much all the vehicles in my list is over 15 years Old.The News is pretty much silent after last year when someone in Ashok Leyland complained about too much pollution (How Ironic...) And asked Govt to make the ban.Now the Minister of Road Transport - Mr.Nitin Gadkari,has also said the ban is nearly ready.

There are a new set of rules coming in 2020 like Mandatory ABS and Airbags on all vehicles.etc.Maybe this ban will be applied by that time.That's just a year of enjoyment with the car and teary eyes and broken heart seeing the beauty go to the crusher.

And nope,No friends or family has a car on sale under my budget.So I have to look it out.

Thread Starter #5

Couple of things need to be kept in mind before purchasing a Vintage Car:

1) You need to have a good source / acquaintance who can guide you to a suitable car.

2) Set your budget. How much you are willing to spend on the car for purchase and post purchase.

3) Locate the source of spares in advance and then move to the purchase.

4) A background check of the car will be helpful too.

5) Do you have a place to park it? and preferably a closed / shed parking will be better.

6) In case of cars like ss80, Padmini, Matiz et al you'll have to get a fitness certificate too and if you also change the color of the car, better will be to get it updated in RC Book.

Coming to the rules, You may take your car(s)/Bike(s) to the vintage rallies and in daily drive you might not be able to use them. Owning and Restoring a Vintage is a very nice move provided you have the resources and time to devote to it's upkeep.

Regards

Akash
Thanks a lot for the points sir.My main goal is to have a nice classic beauty like a Padmini that can have many eyes set on them on Public and at the same time,use it practically.No,I'm not going out on the highways with either of the vehicles on the list.I am more sided for getting a car actually.

1) Well,most of my friends just consider cars as a mode of Transport from Point A to B and nothing more,So I cannot really get them on this lol.I have few friends I know as car guys on WhatsApp so Maybe I can get their help.None from Family either.

2) My total Budget for both the Car and Restoration is Rs.1 Lakh and not a rupee more than that.I don't know if it can suffice for this.Padmini is 50K,SS80 is 70K,SB308 is 40K,Matiz is 50K.Shogun is 30K,RX100 is
60K,RX 135 5 Speed is 70K - Note that these are all in Pretty decent shape.I will not reveal my true budget to the Mechanic.I'd mostly do a Body Restoration but mechanically,A re-condition but not like a significant rebuild.So I hope the Restoration cost is under 50K

3) Yep,Spares is not the problem for now.I've sourced spares for everything except the SS80 and Shogun,These 2 seem Pretty impossible to get.The real big problem is how many years more will I be able to get the parts,especially for a car like Matiz as Matiz is a more technically advanced and has fuel injectors,ECUs and far more complicated stuff than Padmini and SB308,Which seems to be simpler as they are carburetted.

4) Yes.Guess it differs from each vehicle.I will definitely check this one out.Any more specific check-list ?

5) I do have a parking but it's not a shed.It's rather in the next house (near the Entrance way) with a Gate that can be locked.But the walls arent high so thieves can still come and loot the parts.Although our area,We havent seen a Single theft *touchwood* yet.

6) Yes,I am aware of the FC and RC Book changes for things like colour.etc.I'm mostly looking at Peacock Green for the Matiz and gloss black/Bright red for the Padmini/SS80 respectively.So yeah,There is that.

Yeah true I would love that.But I really need it as for a practical use but at the same time,Enjoy it's cult glory.Makes me side more with the SB308 actually,Parts are cheap and available everywhere and is still quite old and does look nice.But being a Musician,It doesn't really uh...match the status so yeah,Quite confused.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I would say contact and visit the Vintage Car Museums and Galleries as well to get a hold of knowledge about vintage cars. Down South there are many Vintage car collectors get in touch with them to understand the purchasing process of a Vintage Cars. Keep an eye on any Vintage Car auctions that may happen in near future. In 1 Lakh you may get a car but restoring that (depending on condition) would take a bare minimum of 1 Lac more. Do attend the Vintage Car Rallies and interact with the participants and further improve your knowledge. Also, What I'll say is first try your skills on restoring a bike as you might be able to do it between 1.0 to 1.5Lacs and then once you have surplus funds to invest later on, then, invest in restoring a Vintage Car.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #7
I would say contact and visit the Vintage Car Museums and Galleries as well to get a hold of knowledge about vintage cars. Down South there are many Vintage car collectors get in touch with them to understand the purchasing process of a Vintage Cars. Keep an eye on any Vintage Car auctions that may happen in near future. In 1 Lakh you may get a car but restoring that (depending on condition) would take a bare minimum of 1 Lac more. Do attend the Vintage Car Rallies and interact with the participants and further improve your knowledge. Also, What I'll say is first try your skills on restoring a bike as you might be able to do it between 1.0 to 1.5Lacs and then once you have surplus funds to invest later on, then, invest in restoring a Vintage Car.

Regards

Akash
Thanks a lot but sir,I am not going for like a pure Vintage like a '55 Chevy or something.I'm just going for either a Premier Padmini,Maruti SS80 of a Maruti SB308.So yeah,Plenty of them available.Regarding Restoration,I am yet to learn driving a car so I cannot learn on a proper Vintage and ruin it's clutch and the body.After I have learnt,I'm doing the Restoration and after that,I want maintainance to be minimal for every 2 years.So yeah.Cost is the worry.I am just a musician and a student so the first 1L rupees is in my hands for spending.Every Single rupee after that is not easy for me.Work is a bit unstable and not constant.There are these worries,Apart from that...yeah,Not much.

Last edited:
First off, Vintage cars are those which were manufactured between 1919 and 1930. So the cars you have listed can utmost be called Classic, if not outright old [:)]. I don't think it is worth the time and energy to maintain 'classic' cars which is used on daily basis. Most Vintage and Classic car owners maintain their cars because its their hobby, they don't use it as daily commute. If your idea is to use the car frequently, try to get more recent preowned models.

Thread Starter #9
First off, Vintage cars are those which were manufactured between 1919 and 1930. So the cars you have listed can utmost be called Classic, if not outright old [:)]. I don't think it is worth the time and energy to maintain 'classic' cars which is used on daily basis. Most Vintage and Classic car owners maintain their cars because its their hobby, they don't use it as daily commute. If your idea is to use the car frequently, try to get more recent preowned models.
True,But aren't cars like the Padmini and M800 Carburetted? And also heard their mechanicals arent very complicated.Whixh theoretically means easier and lower maintainance right ?

True,But aren't cars like the Padmini and M800 Carburetted? And also heard their mechanicals arent very complicated.Whixh theoretically means easier and lower maintainance right ?
Yes carb engines are less expensive to repair but the frequency of maintenance increases the cost over the life time of the car. Common problems are air leaks in vacuum lines leading to burned valves, melted electrode in spark plus, piston ring etc. , not to mention the maintenance required for the car structure itself . More over, there aren’t many good old mechanics now who can actually maintain carb engines properly . The Carburetor engines are so in the past – they aren’t fuel efficient as it is difficult to maintain the stoichiometric ratio of 14.7:1. You always get a lean or rich mixture leading to inefficient engine, knocking etc.
Although there are plenty of 'classic' cars going great, it is difficult to rely on them for daily commute. IMO, it is a good idea to leave the past where it belongs[:)]

Thread Starter #11
Yes carb engines are less expensive to repair but the frequency of maintenance increases the cost over the life time of the car. Common problems are air leaks in vacuum lines leading to burned valves, melted electrode in spark plus, piston ring etc. , not to mention the maintenance required for the car structure itself . More over, there aren’t many good old mechanics now who can actually maintain carb engines properly . The Carburetor engines are so in the past – they aren’t fuel efficient as it is difficult to maintain the stoichiometric ratio of 14.7:1. You always get a lean or rich mixture leading to inefficient engine, knocking etc.
Although there are plenty of 'classic' cars going great, it is difficult to rely on them for daily commute. IMO, it is a good idea to leave the past where it belongs[:)]
Agreed.Maintainance cost will slightly go up with time after Restoration...But one more question is that,even with the lack of mechs that can handle Carburetted Engines,Isnt it simple enough for the Owner himself to tune it ? Air Leaks in Vaccum Lines does sound a bit scary lol.But the plan is to plonk the engine out for a fully-electric setup Maybe after a Decade from now.Yeah,Agreed on the body work too,Although I would do a complete Anti-Rust protection.I've heard that the SB308 is really cheap to maintain and parts are easily available,So Maybe that car can be relied As a daily driver.My budget doesn't allow for 'modern' cars

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello Back bharathbigb,
Restoration and vintage is totally heart thing. Do not try to apply any logic to it. Do what your heart speaks.
100% Bans, These are not going to happen. The enthusiast and car collector community, what are we here for?
People have collected vintages, Got them inherited from their father , Grandpa, As a gift and so on. It might be scrap in the view of stupid Goverment babus, There there is too much sentimental value in these. Many times we want to re-live the experience of our childhood cars. My Premier padmini And My 1st birthday was on the same day. I surely look forward to have a trip in that car.

BTW welcome again and congrats on the DL.

My suggestion is to look for a car like a Maruti 800 MPFi, Alto or Santro which is good condition. Spend a little money on service, cleaning and polishing etc. Then every year you can spend a little on some upgrades or mods. Go through the restoration threads and you'll know its not that easy. Have a look a Varun's Maruti 800 thread and do something like that.

Hello Bharath,
Wishing you all the Best in your dream of going in for Restoration work.

There is no point in going for a car like Padmini or Maruti ss80, where you may find it difficult to get the spare parts.

SB 308 could be ok as you can get the parts from most of the Maruti spare parts dealers. With your Budget of Rupees One lac, a well maintained car could be available for about Rs 45000-50000. There are many such cars available in the state of Kerala. Many youngsters do lot of modifications in old cars and finally sell it off when they are happy with what they have done n learnt.
But remember not to go for a car that was abused or having more mileage run like over one lac kms because you will end up with spending on more spare parts without peace of mind. Since Ucal manufacturing unit is in Chennai, you can get the spares for Carburetor easily and the old Auto Mechanics in Chennai are expert in handling the old Maruti cars.

Good Luck o you.
Take care.

Thread Starter #15
My suggestion is to look for a car like a Maruti 800 MPFi, Alto or Santro which is good condition. Spend a little money on service, cleaning and polishing etc. Then every year you can spend a little on some upgrades or mods. Go through the restoration threads and you'll know its not that easy. Have a look a Varun's Maruti 800 thread and do something like that.
Well said.Mr.Varun has done an amazing job on his M800.An inspiration really! Cars that you have suggested are easily seen on roads even today and they really dont feel all that rare and special like what an SS80/SB308 or a Padmini would.But yeah,I get your point.Ofcourse Restoration isn't easy.Its a work that requires a lot of patience,knowledge,experience,expertise,love,resources and time.

My idea however,Is Pretty much the same if I get the SB308.A proper resto-mod with stuff like Brake Booster,Power Windows.etc.

Top Bottom