Now it is time to ink my story of falling in love with legendary machine YEZDI.
My father bought it in 1985 one year before i born. he used this bike up to 1994. After arrival of hero Honda cd100ss he limited the usage of Yezdi due to low mileage.
I remember those days when I was only 9 year old. It was kept idle and my big brother and his friends used to take it for ride by feeding her kerosene. I don’t remember sitting on that bike in ride But I do remember I used kick start by paddling the lever to listen budd budd sound. After paddling I used to sit on the seat, I was feeling and playing like riding it
Really I have lot of memories with the non-running condition bike. It was kept idle in my native place (small village) , I do agree it has been ignored and resulting in parts like accelerator mutti, mirror, petrol tank cap such a removable parts had been stolen by kids for ice candy’s. (In village places ice candy sellers used to take metals/scrap in exchange for ice candy). Now you can imagine the story how a bike which was in riding condition transformed to the Bike shown in the pic.
Recently I planned to take a bike, while looking in olx unfortunately I found Yezdi’s with price tag greater than 70k. I surprised and started to read stories about yezdi and realized what we have neglected is not an ordinary machine. When I put a proposal in home that I want to restore it my father started firing at me mentioning there is nothing left in the bike except chassis and core engine. I tried to convince him but no use. Finally I took it to a mechanic (without my father consent) in Bagalkot city which is nearer to my native place.
Experience with riding Jawa/Yezdi : Nil
Experience with maintaining any bike: Nil
Intension: To have rare, legendary and vintage bike as my first bike. Enjoy the riding of Yezdi, Preserving it for next generation (I hope so)
Motivation: My memories, encouraging articles in web, I like the look of classic bike especially front suspension, headlight dome and front mudguard. I just want to have that design in my collection.
Plan: After deciding to restore, I started browsing forums for place to restore, source the spares and care to be taken while restoring. I decided to take my bike to Mysore considering availability of spares and mechanic. But transportation of bike became headache I was supposed to spend 4k for transportation. As IRCTC needs RC + insurance, But both has expired. Luckily I got link to a mechanic in Bagalkot city(My native district) he was in profession since 1975 with experience on almost all jawa models.
Sourcing spares: 90% of spares from Mysore, 10% from Bangalore
Chrome and buffing: As mechanic told he will get it done from Hyderabad, I left the job for him. Really as per my experience,time limitation decided not to take risk and handed over entire work to him.
Painting: Same, Assigned to mechanic.
Experience of restoration. In my case it is just like starting to build a system only with chassis,front mud guard, front suspension,headlight dome covers,side panels and machine with bad piston and block and rusted-non working ignition kit.
Petrol tank was gone by rusting completely, Ignition kit, chain sprocket, air filter, rear mud guard, rear shock observer, both rims, tires , tubes, headlight assembly, seat assembly, Foot rest, chain covers, accelerator mutti, tank side rubber for grip, tank cap, speedo meter, lever set, Ignition switch(Key),Tail lamp, Tail lamp bracket, Indicators, Horn switch, Indicator switch, wiring kit, cable kit, clutch plate, engine bearing, …
About mechanic: Forgive me if it looks like out of topic, but I have to share this for people who are enthusiast about machines, and for the people who really in need of information for example people like me who collected lot of information before restoration. Believe me I read Ananth's post more than twice.
Mechanic name Shafeek, He started working on machines since 1975, He talks less, works calm he is cool. I am inking it one by one.
1. He dis assembled the bike with too patience as it was totally jammed kick liver was struck, engine plate was not coming outside, when it was unable to remove without hammer work, when he was operating with hammer I thought anything may break but I was wrong it came easily.
2. His advice on changing parts is really appreciable. As petrol tank was totally rusted from inside he told to replace advising for future problems. Replacing shock observers, advice in tyre selection. When automobile shop keeper told block piston i mean piston with block price 7000 Rs, He told its maximum cost is 2500 don’t worry we will take only piston I will change cylinder sleeves for standard piston size. Ignition kit(rotor and coil assembly) he replaced from his stock considering higher rates in the market for Jawa spares.
3. For spares purchasing he came to Mysore on my request and he himself giving priority for genuine parts that he can recognize which I can’t. Reached Mysore at 12pm and return train was at 4pm within this period he managed to get almost all spares purchasing that is also without having any food. He mentioned work is more importance for me.
4. I told the Junior mechanic(mechanic’s son) to video shoot the first kick start either it may start or may not start whatever it may be I want video without fail. Finally I got video where Junior mechanic started it for the first attempt and his surprise expression is recorded in the video. It will be lesson for the juniors what the perfect engineering is. In other angle how much simple mechanics is there in Jawa machines, A machine which is kept idle from 20 years in the bad atmosphere without care
5. He told his experience with Driving Yezdi, he used to take 40 minutes on legendary bike Yezdi from Bijapur to Bagalkot(84 kms). Really he is a crazy guy. When I asked about Jawa bikes he told two things
This bike is only for Gentleman.
It is very reliable machines once set correctly it requires very little maintenance.
6. He took all responsibilities of restoration, as i am working in Bangalore, I am getting only updates from junior mechanic by whatsapp pics and videos and sometimes video calls(Courtesy JIO Sim :D ). He went to Hyderabad two times(as petrol tank purchased later) for Chromium, nickel plating and buffing works. 2nd time he came up with parts given in 1st time and petrol tank which was took for chrome. He managed to stay one extra day to get work done.
7. As Jikov carburetor price is greater than 4k he opted Pacco, As I strongly suggested him to go for Jikov as it is designed especially for Jawa machines he told “Don’t worry I will set up it, Nothing will happen to engine if it is set correctly”.
Only one thing is he is not aware is current market price of Jawa spares. But he was happy to restore bike this is the reason i gave him.
Restoration started at: October 16 2016
Present condition given in pic. I will be posting few more pics and complete cost break up after complete restoration.