Partial Restoration of Bajaj M80

Thread Starter #1
Got inspired by feedback on my Yezdi 81, posting a semi restoration of M80 as there are lot of 2 Stroke lovers in this forum.
Though its not a Classic category or a very popular one, i strongly believe it has potential some day!. Also i always liked its looks during my college days. Similar to this there was a YAMAHA small bike (Don’t know the name), but Bajaj had got into some patent issues by Yamaha i remember.

Details –
1. 1997 Model Bajaj M80 – 2 Stroke
2. Single owner 51K kms done – Mysore Registration
3. Documents updated – Running RC & Insurance
4. Condition – Original Engine untouched, Original Paint & Chrome, Except an Indicator nothing is changed. Could feel good compression during kick start & pulls well.
5. Damage – Rs 7K (Could not negotiate further, thanks to OLX/Quicker , now a days every one says its antique)

What is done as of now –
Did partial restoration on the Aesthetics & retain the Mechanicals intact.
Overhauled Clutch, some wiring work.
1. Restore Paint – DIY sanding 1K, 2K grits & using 3M rubbing compound.
2. Polishing chrome parts, Plastics, Fiber covers , again DIY – Wet sanding & using Rubbing compound & Plastic polish (Currently using 3M & Waxpol plastic polish), Any suggestions here will help.
3. Change the seat covers
4. Check & restore all Electrical items as nothing is working (most of the bulbs are fused)
5. Looking for a front basket – not sure where to source. Will try my luck in Jc road

Paint Restoration (DIY)
1. Wet sand 1500, 1000, 2000 grit 3m paper - do not apply pressure
2. Layers of Polish - First with 3 m rubbing compound, 3M fineise , finally Amway silicon polish

restored the indicators, carriers by using can spray paints & polishing the fiber, plastic materials using 3m all in one product which is fantastic & brings back life to faded plastic, fiber parts.

Pending work - painting shocks, stand , cleaning the rim & spokes.
M80 is fun to ride.

Ananth

Attachments

That seems in really good condition. Happy to see some fellow members interested in Not-so-old-vintages. Lot of inspiration to work on our 1983 Rajdoot.
Thanks!

cool. i wanted to own one of these. this is certainly in my list. These bikes are very much alive and selling like hot cakes in malaysia, singapore, indonesia and vietnam. some its considered performance ride. there is even a motoring event for these bikes. good luck with your build!!! bravo

Last edited by a moderator:
where i live in the rural areas. this is the most popular as well as economical mode of transportation. never owned one but definitely driven one. M80, Hero Puch, Yezdi colt, Suvega, Hero Honda Street, Kinetic K4 these were at once very much popular on the roads. I had a chance to drive all of these except suvega and Yezdi colt ( A very rare find these days). however in Mysore i believe there might be a few left as it was the birth place of Yezdi colt. good luck with the build definitely waiting for more from you. I envy you for your collection buddy good going. keep it up.[:D]

Last edited:
Bajaj M80 was my first bike.The model that we see is the same design they made in the late 60s.I had travelled like 200 Km on this machine while studying in college.The USP of M80 is controls of a scooter and works like a bike. I can't but laugh just thinking about the wheelies I had done on this. [;)].In long trips,I even got a mileage of 60 Kmpl. Later on brand image caught up on me as I saw lot of fish marketeers using this and I forgo this for a four stroke bike. Good job done. Congrats.

thats a very decent looking bike you got. in kerala its very rare to find such a good machine as most have been run to the end by fish sellers. i was always a fan of m80 but couldn't buy one as its brand image was bad and my friends dissuaded me from buying one. i had read in another forum that some one did a tour of india on an m80. chennai to ladakh and back.

Before the M80 there was the M50. Exactly the same bike but 50cc. It did not have the indicators. I learnt riding on that bike. The Bajaj Sunny when launched use the Block and Piston of the M50. Some people transplanted the M80 block and piston onto the Sunny.

Hi,
Grocery shop guys still use this type of motorcycle. I remember this was the motorcycle which i used to get the license because of the flexibility to turn the bike.

Congrats buddy. It's pretty well maintained. This is one wonderful machine from Bajaj, known for it's performance and durability. I have seen people loading over 150kgs on a M80 and it manage to pull without much stress.

Top Bottom