The 1986 Premier Padmini Deluxe

Thread Starter #1
One fine day, I decided to divert from the usual route to my college and rolled my Pulsar 220 on NH72, hardly 2kms from my room I noticed a PP (UGY278) parked beside a tree, probably ready for being scrapped. This went on for a while, everyday for a couple of weeks I used to take the same route just to have aglimpse of this beauty which ruled Indian roads for a considerable time and it was becoming really hard for me to see it getting rusted in front of my eyes and the fear of it being scrapped any moment. Finally I decided to talk to the workshop owner there who owns it as of now and tagged along my three friends namely, Sandeep Rawat, Azim Hussain and Vinay Pal in order to buy the car. And thus started the classic life of ous, story is not yet complete, rest will be poured in after approval. [:)]

Here's a video by me on our first test runs post engine restoration, though it was in working condition already and with just water pump replacement, it was ready to roll.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH8kbGV2b6Q.

Attachments

Awesome,Sir.It definitly feels like something else to Save Old abandoned Vehicles especially for Enthusiasists and Ca lovers like us.I wish you a Very happy and Safe Ownership.Also don't forget to buy 2 or More rare parts if you find them.And [surprise] Am I seeing White Walls ? Keep it,Don't replace it.Whitewalls are like "Here I am ! Love Me !".Body also looks good.Please post sume more Pictures.Will you be doing a Full restoration ?

good to see your love for old cars. Congratulation for acquiring the Beauty.eagerly waiting for the rest of the story. I'm sure there's lot of interesting moments to share[:D].

@Rahul:
That's a fantastic car and even better is what you are doing.

Your motorcycle is same as mine BTW!

So, what's your plan regarding this car?

Are you an engineering student? Your profile pic makes me feel like there is someone who build student formula or Baja vehicle like I did around an year back with my team.

Missing those days, I too had many plans like restoring an old ambassador, an old jeep etc and then I joined business and everything is forgotten!!

Why not do something like this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IOuqCQChKpk

Congrats for the beauty, damn impressive it is.

Thread Starter #5
good to see your love for old cars. Congratulation for acquiring the Beauty.eagerly waiting for the rest of the story. I'm sure there's lot of interesting moments to share.
Thankyou very much, will soon narrate rest of the story as well.

@Rahul:
That's a fantastic car and even better is what you are doing.

Your motorcycle is same as mine BTW!

So, what's your plan regarding this car?

Are you an engineering student? Your profile pic makes me feel like there is someone who build student formula or Baja vehicle like I did around an year back with my team.

Missing those days, I too had many plans like restoring an old ambassador, an old jeep etc and then I joined business and everything is forgotten!!

Why not do something like this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IOuqCQChKpk

Congrats for the beauty, damn impressive it is.
Thankyou, yes the car is awesome as well as the bike, you got it right I am an engineering student and that car was made by our senior's seniors[drive] (superseniors)
Awesome,Sir.It definitly feels like something else to Save Old abandoned Vehicles especially for Enthusiasists and Ca lovers like us.I wish you a Very happy and Safe Ownership.Also don't forget to buy 2 or More rare parts if you find them.And Am I seeing White Walls ? Keep it,Don't replace it.Whitewalls are like "Here I am ! Love Me !".Body also looks good.Please post sume more Pictures.Will you be doing a Full restoration ?
Thakyou Bharathbigb , As of now I'm totally dependent on pocket money for expenses so full restoration won't be possible for me. The car doesn't need any restoration to be honest, it's simply in the best condition one could expect from a classic. I'll soon post some pictures, car has not been washed still. The car doesn't have even a single dent on its body.[cheers]
Unfortunately the white walled tyres are totally used up and front right one busted while driving, thankfully at crawling speeds and is now replaced with MRF ZV2K 165/80R14.

Thread Starter #6
Continuation of the story....
Soon me and my three buddies started going to the workshop everyday, bunking classes for it and even bunked an internal exam for the noble deed[lol]. The engine wasn't running still as it's battery was in a bad state or say it wasn't a battery at all, it was a reminiscent of so called "Batteras" of past(that's what the dealer told me). With almost no money in our pockets, we decided not to continue further before some fund collection. After a day or two, we had collected enough money to at least start the engine but to our surprise the humble mechanic did it for free. Not to forget, we push started it in gear without brakes and that too on one of the busiest and accident prone two lane highway ahead the workshop, i.e., NH72. After the engine was started, we noticed that water pump is leaking, thanks to the owner who used tap water as coolant without coolant and Dehradun's water is known for it's high amount of salt deposits. The water pump had white colored solid powder everywhere. The radiator was in a working condition with no leakages though. The brakes were not working as all the wheel cylinder jammed with time, so we now got 4 brand new wheel cylinders with brand new brake shoes.[:)] All the hoses were replaced next day including Radiator hoses & brake hoses.

Attachments

more pics please. I'm in love with this thread now. That steering looks awesome, however where is the horn Ring which should have been with the steering

Thread Starter #9
Hi guys, My laptop is still out of order so I am unable to upload pics. Anyways I have changed the steering wheel to MOMO since stock one was touching my leg while braking and could be culprit for a crash, so I decided to be on safer side. Though I have the stock steering wheel with me and it is not going anywhere. Also installed 4 new spark plugs BOSCH made, all cylinders are working now, previously only 3 were firing and car was vibrating a lot, now it feels very good. I would like to know which engine oil is best suited for PP and is MRF Zv2k a good Tyre considering car would be doing 1000kms occasional trips to Himalayan?

The car has done 72115kms till now, tyres were never changed except for front right one. Hoping to get my queries answered soon by all the gurus here.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Anyways I have changed the steering wheel to MOMO since stock one was touching my leg while braking and could be culprit for a crash, so I decided to be on safer side. Though I have the stock steering wheel with me and it is not going anywhere.
Rahul the steering wheel was iconic, I feel after fulfilling your excitement revert back to the OEM one.

I would like to know which engine oil is best suited for PP
Castrol Magnatec, Semi Synthetic oil. Needs change after 10,000 kms and use the Purolator Oil Filter with it.

The car has done 72115kms till now, tyres were never changed except for front right one. Hoping to get my queries answered soon by all the gurus here.
At present what section Tyre are there in the car i.e 175, 165 or 185? The details on Tyre's dimension can help to suggest the suitable brand.

For more details on Tyre you may refer this link.

Regards and Happy New Year!

Akash

Thread Starter #13
Rahul the steering wheel was iconic, I feel after fulfilling your excitement revert back to the OEM one.

Castrol Magnatec, Semi Synthetic oil. Needs change after 10,000 kms and use the Purolator Oil Filter with it.

At present what section Tyre are there in the car i.e 175, 165 or 185? The details on Tyre's dimension can help to suggest the suitable brand.

For more details on Tyre you may refer this link.

Regards and Happy New Year!

Akash
Thanks and Happy new year to you too, the car comes with 5.60-14 MRF legends from factory, I m using a Zv2k 165/80R14 on front(only one Tyre). Indeed the steering was classic and the change would be reverted if I am able to adjust the seat a little. The manual says 10W40 grade oil to be used, is Castrol Magnatec available in that grade as well?

Finally I decided to talk to the workshop owner there who owns it as of now and tagged along my three friends namely, Sandeep Rawat, Azim Hussain and Vinay Pal in order to buy the car.

Here's a video by me on our first test runs post engine restoration
Congratulations in your new buy and appreciate your motivation in saving a rusting classic beauty.

however where is the horn Ring which should have been with the steering
Ring type horn switches came in Ambassadors. Fiats came with this type round switches and were changes to a trapezoidal type in Deluxe-BE and S1 Deluxe.
Guess, the steering is little harder now. What have you done for the horn switch now.

Also installed 4 new spark plugs BOSCH made, all cylinders are working now, previously only 3 were firing and car was vibrating a lot, now it feels very good. I would like to know which engine oil is best suited for PP and is MRF Zv2k a good Tyre considering car would be doing 1000kms occasional trips to Himalayan?
The car has done 72115kms till now, tyres were never changed except for front right one.
Can you post a picture of the sparkplug from the cylinder which was not firing. Did you check if the plug didn't spark because of oil deposition or due to electrical problem. Any 20W40 Mineral oil is fine. You get 3.5 litre packs these days from almost all reputed oil brands. Tyre are made of rubber compounds which tend to crack over time even if not used. So better change them. 155/65R14 of WagonR Stingray or 165/65R14 will be the closest to 5.20-14 bias ply tyre for PP. Tyres wider than 165 profile will need more effort to steer and affect fuel economy also. If the rims are rusted or bent you may buy Fiat Punto 14" rims from Fiat showroom. Might cost about Rs800/- each. They directly fit in PP. Before doing a 1000km trip, I would drive the car for a day 200 - 300 km trip to gain confidence on the car itself. Change the fan belt also.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15
Congratulations in your new buy and appreciate your motivation in saving a rusting classic beauty.

Ring type horn switches came in Ambassadors. Fiats came with this type round switches and were changes to a trapezoidal type in Deluxe-BE and S1 Deluxe.
Guess, the steering is little harder now. What have you done for the horn switch now.

Can you post a picture of the sparkplug from the cylinder which was not firing. Did you check if the plug didn't spark because of oil deposition or due to electrical problem. Any 20W40 Mineral oil is fine. You get 3.5 litre packs these days from almost all reputed oil brands. Tyre are made of rubber compounds which tend to crack over time even if not used. So better change them. 155/65R14 of WagonR Stingray or 165/65R14 will be the closest to 5.20-14 bias ply tyre for PP. Tyres wider than 165 profile will need more effort to steer and affect fuel economy also. If the rims are rusted or bent you may buy Fiat Punto 14" rims from Fiat showroom. Might cost about Rs800/- each. They directly fit in PP. Before doing a 1000km trip, I would drive the car for a day 200 - 300 km trip to gain confidence on the car itself. Change the fan belt also.
Thanks a lot, any enthusiast other than me would have done the same to same to save it from dying to rust.

I think 165/65R14 will be very low in terms of Tyre wall height, the Swift tyres are having aspect ratio of 165/80 still ride height is a bit lower. I'm not sure which spark plug wasn't working, the spark plug was the culprit though as on installation of new plugs all cylinders were working and I tested it using a litre of petrol in a bottle, it's FE almost doubled. There was a lot of petrol on all four plugs, I guess cos of carb setting too rich.

Top Bottom