Does Indian Youth Love Owning Vintage Cars?

Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
We are all young at heart when it comes to us discussing cars. Most of us have suppressed our desire of having a vintage beauty in our garage simply because its too hard to maintain and looks dated to some too.

Over here, I want to ask you all a simple question, how many of you are still willing to own a vintage beauty and equally flaunt it on roads?

Though my questions aims for age group of 25-to-40 years, but everyone is hereby welcome to share their views and desires on the topic.

Regards

Yes Sir, i am 25 ish and i dreamed of buying a between 1960-70 version of chevy camaro, with a vertigate transmission. The biggest problem of owning a vintage car is the non availability of spare parts, in our country. My dad used to own a beetle and it was very difficult for him to find parts so he had to scrap the car.

I am 30 now and i love to own and maintain a Contessa and a Rxz 5 speed.

I still remember the day when my neighbours bought a new white contessa diesel at 1996.I was in 9th STD at that time and I had travelled less than 100km in that car, but still remember the comfort of that car. They changed the colour to black some years ago and that was a bad decision. it was not properly painted and not looking well. Their usage reduced after they bought a wagon r, since the contessa cant use in our narrow roads. They sold the car at through away price 5 years before. I would have bought that car if i know they sell the car. Whenever i see a contessa, i'll stare at that to check out wether it is that one.
Spares was costly but there are cheaper options also available at that time.Once to replace the headlight to round ones from square type, they just bought 4 nos round headlight of Mahindra Nissan tipper at 20% price of what HM ASS quoted.

im like 34 now and definetly would like to buy classic or vintage cars if they are affordable. would also like to restore them and drive them. However it requires a lot of time and money. the only constraint here is VITAMIN "M".:biggrin:

I do love to own a Vintage, but the amount of time & money required to maintain them keeps me away from them. Other reason being the lack of outright performance.

IMO Vintage look + modern technology / performance / efficiency / features should do well across the globe.

PS: I love to have a Contessa / Standard 2000 / Premier Padmini with a Fiat 1.3/1.6 MJD mated to a proper GB & Rear axle drive with balanced ride & handling + ABS (atleast) I'm sure this will remain as a dream for ever, but least bothered and keep dreaming [evil]

Now I will love owning a FIAT 1000d and a Contessa.Not to mention an RX 100 and a Shogun too but the costs that are required to maintain them are like bombs and they are getting harder to source every day.Contessa is also a very scary handler.I may get a Shogun/RX 100 soon (Dad wants one to bring back his memories). and will see what all new tech i can put in.

Apart from few enthusiasts, hardly any youth prefers old cars (like old mobiles or old computers). Rather most people of all age groups prefer new cars, hence facelifts comes as car model is 2-3 year old, & model is usually completely replaced in 5-10 years, although it may be still in demand. Most of the time, it is only cosmetic (exterior or interior) with few gizmo added, but machine at heart might be unchanged.

I too love own a vintage. My preference would be Contessa & Premier Padmini. But owning and maintaining now will be a hectic job due to cost of maintenance, availability of spares and good quality technicians for servicing.

Thread Starter #11

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I always think and wish to own-back a Premier Padmini. Had been with me earlier till 2006. I simply want to restore a Premier Padmini on the lines of my earlier one. Problem is my father as he is not willing to permit me to start the search for a good condition one. Can any of you give an approx idea of the cost for a reasonable condition Premier Padmini say 1994-95 model, non-ac will go too!

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #13

Akash1886

Honoured Member
you will get as cheap as 12-13k in Karnataka. Akash i had one which was a 1986 model single owner doctor owned vehicle sold it for just 18k 3 months back.
Oh thanks Nitin! I checked earlier on OLX too some good ones I found there but between 60K to 1 Lakh. Just trying to convince dad for going ahead. I am ready to devote full time attention to restore it as well.

Do inform me in case you come across any other dear.

Regards

Akash

sure will do. One question though would you drive it to delhi from here. that would mean you would require one with good suspension and breaks. or else you will have to spend some time here fixing it.

Thread Starter #15

Akash1886

Honoured Member
sure will do. One question though would you drive it to delhi from here. that would mean you would require one with good suspension and breaks. or else you will have to spend some time here fixing it.
Actually not driving all the way. I would prefer to load it back. Get it delivered at my uncle's workshop here in Delhi. I'll be checking for options in Delhi too and would keep you informed incase I get a good deal here.

Regards

Akash

Top Bottom