Restoration of Bajaj Sunny, Luna

Thread Starter #1
Though this is not a complete (Dismantled) restoration, thought this could be a useful info for those who would wish to just do a partial restoration. And also for those moped lovers. Sharing the Bajaj Sunny & Kinetic Luna Restoration details for those moped lovers.
Sorry combined both the restorations as they were small one.

Vehicle Details:

Bajaj Sunny , Model 1995, 50CC 2 Stroke Engine, Auto gear.
Bought from : Olx.com Advertisement for Rs 4K (Documents intact with FC valid till 2017) , Location Mysore.

As the restoration “madness” was on my head after restoring my Yezdi, did not do any prior inspections before buying, Just wanted to experiment by completely dismantling & Restore only Mechanical work of it (Did not plan to Repaint, Chrome, etc. as it consumes lot of time & Money)

Restoration Plan & Spends:

Had decided not to spend too much on it, started looking out for spares in Mysore/B'lore, surprisingly got most of the spares of Bajaj sunny / Luna/Yezdi/M80/Lambretta in Amardeep Automobiles B'lore & Bajaj sunny related spares in Bajaj showroom mysore.

Work done:

1. New Bore kit - Paid Rs 1.2K (searched maximum for this in B'lore & got this in one Bajaj dealer in Malleshwaram)
2. Body kit ( Front fiber body & headlight top & bottom kit) Rs 600, initially planned to DIY painting & replace the existing ones, later decided to retain the originals & keep this as spares ( See pictures for details)
3. New stand , Cable set (Brake,Speedo) Mats ,Brake pads ,clutch pad ,Cone set ,Speedo worm - Total Rs 2k
4. Engine bearing/oilseal/shaft work , Mechanic payment Rs 2K

Decided not to paint & DIY Polish at home ( Both Plastic & Paint surface),

DIY
1. Cleaning the Rims & Spray paint (Can paint) Cost Rs 600 - 1 can of silver paint, One Flat Black & One Clear coat - Has come out excellent
2. Fiber Polish -Waxpal (used for leather & plastic), wet sand with 600/1500 grit & apply multiple layer of polish 3M & Amway polish - new like finish
3. Speedo meter restoration - Lots of mechanics in mysore to do this, paid rs 150
4. Completely dismantled the vehicle myself & got the pressure serviced it for cleaning the dirt, (mechanic helped to reassemble it though)

Total no of days it took ( 3 dedicated days), 2 weeks to search for spares . Vehicle runs very smooth & definite Head turner when you drive in city.

Also posting few Luna pictures .

Blue Luna -
Bought for Rs 3.5 K Single owner.
Complete restoration done, dismantled completely, repainted, re chromed, engine kit , rubber parts etc are completely done. Spent a lot on this.

White one -
Bought for Rs 900 just to use it for its spares from a road side mechanic. Later found the owner & got the papers for another Rs 750.
DIY painting – Can paint, mechanicals from local mechanic.

Both are in excellent running condition.

Sharing the pictures.

Ananth

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Aah its soo good to see back again these vehicles in good shapes and running conditions.
I still remember of learning two wheelers on a luna and my first ownerhip of two wheeler was a bajaj sunny.
Brought back some amazing memories of sunny.Light, zip and fun it was to drive.

I still remember the simple yet cute looks of the ever reliable Bajaj Sunny. I have fond memories of Luna as well A special thanks to you for doing this restoration and arranging a feast for our eyes![thumbsup]

the luna was the first bike i rode after learning bicycle. congrats mate on your effort. the sunny looks brand new after the restoration.

i used to see this bike years ago and its great to see it again today when you have done a nice work over restoring it and given it a superb look...........

mysore seems to have lots of old 2 wheeler s at cheap prices. do you know any markets / places where we can look for old 2 wheeler s ?

Thread Starter #10
Thanks.
Yes its mine, had restored it couple of years ago, please read my post on this
- 1981 Yezdi D250 Classic Restoration

Rs. 4000 for a Sunny[surprise]!!!!

Neat restoration though. I once did a two-up 100 km round trip on a broken highway on a red Bajaj Sunny and though its just be a wafer of a vehicle, its a pretty hardy one at that.

Good to see the two Lunas. These are indestructible vehicles; simple, hardy two strokes.

Please post some pictures of thw work in progress, if you have them.

Top Bottom