My 1986 Suzuki SS80 (Maruti 800 STD)

Thread Starter #1
I was waiting to write something about my SS80 for a long time and now came the time to tell you all on how, why, when, what about my SS80 STD.

It all started in the year 2014 Jan. I was casually waiting to get a Maruti Gypsy 1986 and was searching for the same and then suddenly I came across a SS80 which belonged to a family friend of mine. He actually wanted me to help him to sell of his car as he wanted to buy a Yamaha R15 (he was a school student).
Ok I told him and just checked on the documents and the 1st owner got this car delivered on the day I was born. This came flashing into my mind, and i came up with a question "Why don't I buy this car for myself?" Then did a small research on the internet and found good reviews about this car, So I decided to get my hands on this car. I asked the current owner to send a few pics of the car on whatsapp and i was ok with it and saw the car and drove it. The car needed a little attention but I was ok with it and finally closed the deal.

Some Details of the car:

Make : Maruti Suzuki
Model : 800 STD (SS80)
Year : 1986
Insurance : Valid till June 2014 (3rd party)
RC : Intact with all pages
FC : Expired on May 2013
Green Tax : Expired
Annual Tax : Valid till March 31st 2014
No of owners : 3
Condition : Running Condition and the body line is really good. Few original Japanese parts were missing but replaced with ones which were similar.
Odometer : 1,21,300kms

Paid the full amount and took the vehicle. The vehicle needed immediate care and i attended it. I did the following things on my car to make it more practical and road worthy.

1. Front Driver side door glass was broken and was replaced.
2. Front Wheel bearings were replaced (MGP).
3. Clutch assembly was replaced (Valeo).
4. Pedal boots were replaced (MGP).
5. Transmission Oil Changed (MGP).
6. Clutch Cable Replaced (MGP).
7. Pedals and doors lubricated.
8. Tail lamps replaced (Alpha Toyo).
9. Head lamps replaced (Minda).
10. Radiator Flushed and coolant oil was replaced (MGP).
11. Speedometer Cable replaced (MGP).
12. Radiator fan switch changed (Brand unknown).
13. Cone bushes changed.

I had a few troubles in sourcing parts but then it was done with little effort and search,

Water washed and polished the car and got FC and green tax renewed and transferred it to my name. The documentation was done and now docs are up-to-date.

The initial pics of the car which the previous owner sent me on whatsapp.

Attachments

Thread Starter #5
Thank you all.
I will post the latest pics as soon as possible.

Bad decision. Hope you still have the stanley units with you. The replacement ones are poor quality.
Hello Peter,
I wish the car had Stanley sealed beams. Unfortunately my car had alpha toyo headlights in which one's glass was cracked so had to replace with Minda's. Hardly searching for stanley sealed beams, hopefully will get one soon.

Congrats buddy. Looks pretty good condition.
Wishing you happy miles ahead.

BTW I could see "Driven by...." sticker above the radiator grill, so no wonder it is maintained well.

Thread Starter #7
Congrats buddy. Looks pretty good condition.
Wishing you happy miles ahead.

BTW I could see "Driven by...." sticker above the radiator grill, so no wonder it is maintained well.
Thanks a lot dude. I just use this car on weekends, 3 months of ownership i just managed to drive 300kms.

The "driven by" "live to" stickers were given by me to the previous owner as we are family friends. But yes the car has been maintained well.

Tomorrow is sunday and I am planning to click some pics of the car to upload here for fellow TAI'ans.

Thread Starter #8
Finally I managed to click some pictures of my SS80.
Please do not mind the quality of the pics as these pics were taken on my Lumia 520.

Attachments

Thread Starter #9
A few pics of the engine bay

I also forgot to mention that the car came with a cool ICE set up.
JVC Head Unit with CD playback, Mp3, Dual Aux, USB, Bluetooth, Font Sony Speakers, Rear oval JVC Speakers, JBL Sub Woofer, JBL 2 channel amp.

Other cars in my garage:
Maruti Suzuki Esteem Lxi 2005
Volkswagen Polo TDi Comfortline 2012

Attachments

All your rides looks well maintained. Congrats.
Can you please start a separate thread for Esteem? Interiors are pretty awesome. Where did you got the steering wrapped? Looks good.

Thread Starter #11
All your rides looks well maintained. Congrats.
Can you please start a separate thread for Esteem? Interiors are pretty awesome. Where did you got the steering wrapped? Looks good.
Thank You Mr. Boss. Yes I will start a seperate thread for the Esteem when I get the perfect time. The Seats and Steering wrap was done at Bangalore. I got it done from an person who used to be a liner for my previous company. I did that in 2009 and i never expected that the person could do such a beautiful and perfect work on the Esteem. Art leather material was the excess of a project which was Imported from China.

Congratulations getmikeeboy[:D]
nice to see your 86 beauty thread.. the body line is perfect with good fittings..[clap]
seen all your vehicle pics.. few things you should add on are cabin light with door switches should be replaced to original MGP
and try to get floor interior carpet , view mirror and monograms [:)]

Thread Starter #13
Congratulations getmikeeboy[:D]
nice to see your 86 beauty thread.. the body line is perfect with good fittings..[clap]
seen all your vehicle pics.. few things you should add on are cabin light with door switches should be replaced to original MGP
and try to get floor interior carpet , view mirror and monograms [:)]
Thanks a lot for your comments adil.
Regarding the spares i have already stocked a few spares which are rare to find these days. I have the mgp hoodlight and i am yet to fix it. The carpet is not available in mgp as the sizes are different from the type1. I am getting a carpet custom made from a friend ashwin raj who also owns an super ss80.
The mirrors and monograms are really really difficult to get. I have been searching for a lot of items but no success in finding them. So i have the maruti van type1 mirror for now. I am in search of a few spares,
SS80 side mirrors
Rear seat locks
Rear brake drums
Door pads
Suzuki temperlite front windscreen
Monograms
Steel wheels and chrome center cups
Front seats used ones
Stanley sealed beams

Please help me to source these spares if you come across any of them.

Thanks a lot for your comments adil.
Regarding the spares i have already stocked a few spares which are rare to find these days. I have the mgp hoodlight and i am yet to fix it. The carpet is not available in mgp as the sizes are different from the type1. I am getting a carpet custom made from a friend ashwin raj who also owns an super ss80.
The mirrors and monograms are really really difficult to get. I have been searching for a lot of items but no success in finding them. So i have the maruti van type1 mirror for now. I am in search of a few spares,
SS80 side mirrors
Rear seat locks
Rear brake drums
Door pads
Suzuki temperlite front windscreen
Monograms
Steel wheels and chrome center cups
Front seats used ones
Stanley sealed beams

Please help me to source these spares if you come across any of them.
its a good idea making custom made carpet.. carpet fabric is easily available in market ...
about the list new door pads of zing company are available..
in monograms only marutisuzuki monogram is available in MGP
chrome and black sticker on boot can be made in any radium shops
Stanley AND Lumax are parent company i guess .. bcoz i bought original Lumax , on glass its written stanley made in japan[roll]
if your windshield glass is original ...glass grinding can be done.. buy that 60 to 70 percent scratches are removed.
seats can be redone.. no need to replace
and finally why do you want to replace your Alloy's[thinking]

Thread Starter #15
its a good idea making custom made carpet.. carpet fabric is easily available in market ...
about the list new door pads of zing company are available..
in monograms only marutisuzuki monogram is available in MGP
chrome and black sticker on boot can be made in any radium shops
Stanley AND Lumax are parent company i guess .. bcoz i bought original Lumax , on glass its written stanley made in japan[roll]
if your windshield glass is original ...glass grinding can be done.. buy that 60 to 70 percent scratches are removed.
seats can be redone.. no need to replace
and finally why do you want to replace your Alloy's[thinking]
Yes custom made carpet will look almost similar.
I too read in your thread about zing company, it would be great if you can PM me contact details of zing company. I got the maruti Suzuki monogram but the big 800 logo is difficult to source. I planned to stick the monogram after i finish the painting.
The front windscreen i have is atultuf so searching for a used original one.
Seats have very poor cushioning, also the seat is welded so that i cannot slide the seat down and i can only pull n push the seat forward and backward to adjust legroom.
Side mirrors are the ones i am in bad need of.
I planned to get the steel rims so that i can bring it close to stock by look wise.

Top Bottom