The Automotive India

The Automotive India (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/)
-   The Nostalgic Era (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/nostalgic-era/)
-   -   Restoration Of My Hindustan Ambassador 2412 (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/nostalgic-era/13116-restoration-my-hindustan-ambassador-2412-a.html)

HKS2412 16th June 2013 12:40 PM

Restoration Of My Hindustan Ambassador 2412

Hi guys. its been privilege to be part of The Automotive India and to share our love and interest towards automobiles, may it be old or new generation. [:)]

I am a proud owner of HM Ambassador. its a dream machine for me since my childhood .It is a 1978 model , but the car has been modified over the years as per our taste and requirement. It was last in 1999 with my father financial support the major changes(tinkering and modifications) had happened and after 14 years its due for some major body work and mechanical modification to suit present generation. so i thought of sharing with you guys.

Varun560061 16th June 2013 07:47 PM

Re: Restoration Of My Hindustan Ambassador 2412

Hi HKS2412, welcome to TAI..

Do post some pic's of your ride.

Ambylovers 17th June 2013 10:15 AM

Hi,
The Amby Population is getting increased in TAI. [:)]
Kindly post the images of your car whatever you have. I am one of the great fan of Ambassador Cars.

HKS2412 18th June 2013 11:50 AM

4 Attachment(s)
hi, thanks guys for your interest, so here are the pics taken before handing over the car to the tinker and photos are taken from mobile, sorry if quality of images is poor

HKS2412 18th June 2013 12:45 PM

8 Attachment(s)
so my project plan is like this

1. Remove the paint entirely from the body so that inner rust can be traced
2. Water channel above the door has to be rebuild both sides
3. Front glass poles and frame has to be changed
4. Dicky/boot lid need some patch works
5. Running board inner and outer has to be changed on both sides
6. Front doors glass panel need to be changed
7. 4 doors patch work at the bottom
8. Front mudguard corner pieces to be changed on both sides
9. Rear chassis to be changed to metal bush housing type

above listed are mandatory and some additional changes in mind are like below...

1. central locking
2. seat belts
3. power windows
4. power steering
5. front suspension conversion from rubber bush to metal bush

pics of car at tinker shop

Figoian 18th June 2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKS2412 (Post 297337)
so my project plan is like this

1. Remove the paint entirely from the body so that inner rust can be traced
2. Water channel above the door has to be rebuild both sides
3. Front glass poles and frame has to be changed
4. Dicky/boot lid need some patch works
5. Running board inner and outer has to be changed on both sides
6. Front doors glass panel need to be changed
7. 4 doors patch work at the bottom
8. Front mudguard corner pieces to be changed on both sides
9. Rear chassis to be changed to metal bush housing type

above listed are mandatory and some additional changes in mind are like below...

1. central locking
2. seat belts
3. power windows
4. power steering
5. front suspension conversion from rubber bush to metal bush

pics of car at tinker shop

Wooowww... That's an exciting restoration. Waiting for more to see [cheers]

HKS2412 22nd June 2013 06:00 PM

6 Attachment(s)
posting some more pics... removed paint entirely and applied primer to protect the shell from corrosion till tinkering work completes

HKS2412 22nd June 2013 06:10 PM

dear TAI members please suggest me a good color for my car... hoping for expert suggestion from you guys...[:)]

Ambyson 23rd June 2013 01:24 PM

Hi HKS2412, welcome aboard TAI, and a special best wishes for your project on amby. appreciate your love towards amby. keep going.

from the pictures i see, your amby looks perfect and the body lines are also perfect. those corrrosions are regular in all the ambassadors where water gets stagnated and eats away the metal, but other than that locations your vehicle body is in perfect condition. you will not have much to tinker in that body.

if you are confident about your tinker, don't worry, otherwise please monitor closely the work and use onlly dupont products from the base, like metal past, primer etc.,

Ambylovers 24th June 2013 12:44 PM

Hi,
Post some images of your car before. I think the progress of work is but faster. Congratulations.
Remove the steering wheel and fit some old wheel till the work completes. Since my steering become faded and it was looking very different.

Where is this workshop located exactly in bangalore.

swift&furious 25th June 2013 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HKS2412 (Post 298829)
dear TAI members please suggest me a good color for my car... hoping for expert suggestion from you guys...[:)]

Mate how about the color on this fiat it would look sleek and be a head turner for sure [;)]

Ambylovers 27th June 2013 08:56 AM

The Wooden brown in Renault duster will also suit the car. All metallic paints will give a neat and gorgeous look to this Car.
I have gone with DuPont White for my Amby.

HKS2412 30th June 2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambylovers (Post 299272)
Hi,
Post some images of your car before. I think the progress of work is but faster. Congratulations.
Remove the steering wheel and fit some old wheel till the work completes. Since my steering become faded and it was looking very different.

Where is this workshop located exactly in bangalore.

thank you ambylovers, the steering had faded earlier itself so after completion a new one will equipped, well the garage is located 40 km outside bangalore...

HKS2412 30th June 2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swift&furious (Post 299748)
Mate how about the color on this fiat it would look sleek and be a head turner for sure [;)]

hmm.. looks like dark blue metallic, thanks mate i will definitely keep it as option while finalizing the color

HKS2412 30th June 2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambyson (Post 298976)
Hi HKS2412, welcome aboard TAI, and a special best wishes for your project on amby. appreciate your love towards amby. keep going.

from the pictures i see, your amby looks perfect and the body lines are also perfect. those corrrosions are regular in all the ambassadors where water gets stagnated and eats away the metal, but other than that locations your vehicle body is in perfect condition. you will not have much to tinker in that body.

if you are confident about your tinker, don't worry, otherwise please monitor closely the work and use onlly dupont products from the base, like metal past, primer etc.,

thank you ambyson for your suggestion. body lines are perfect not much corrosion on the body but water channel above the doors should be rebuild which is very delicate work in ambassador, so not many tinkers dare to touch that part as nowdays expert tinkers are very rare to find, so after a long survey i decided the tinker who is having vast experience in rebuilding ambassador cars.