Restoration Of My Hindustan Ambassador 2412

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys. its been privilege to be part of The Automotive India and to share our love and interest towards automobiles, may it be old or new generation. [:)]

I am a proud owner of HM Ambassador. its a dream machine for me since my childhood .It is a 1978 model , but the car has been modified over the years as per our taste and requirement. It was last in 1999 with my father financial support the major changes(tinkering and modifications) had happened and after 14 years its due for some major body work and mechanical modification to suit present generation. so i thought of sharing with you guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
The Amby Population is getting increased in TAI. [:)]
Kindly post the images of your car whatever you have. I am one of the great fan of Ambassador Cars.

Thread Starter #5
so my project plan is like this

1. Remove the paint entirely from the body so that inner rust can be traced
2. Water channel above the door has to be rebuild both sides
3. Front glass poles and frame has to be changed
4. Dicky/boot lid need some patch works
5. Running board inner and outer has to be changed on both sides
6. Front doors glass panel need to be changed
7. 4 doors patch work at the bottom
8. Front mudguard corner pieces to be changed on both sides
9. Rear chassis to be changed to metal bush housing type

above listed are mandatory and some additional changes in mind are like below...

1. central locking
2. seat belts
3. power windows
4. power steering
5. front suspension conversion from rubber bush to metal bush

pics of car at tinker shop

Attachments

so my project plan is like this

1. Remove the paint entirely from the body so that inner rust can be traced
2. Water channel above the door has to be rebuild both sides
3. Front glass poles and frame has to be changed
4. Dicky/boot lid need some patch works
5. Running board inner and outer has to be changed on both sides
6. Front doors glass panel need to be changed
7. 4 doors patch work at the bottom
8. Front mudguard corner pieces to be changed on both sides
9. Rear chassis to be changed to metal bush housing type

above listed are mandatory and some additional changes in mind are like below...

1. central locking
2. seat belts
3. power windows
4. power steering
5. front suspension conversion from rubber bush to metal bush

pics of car at tinker shop

Wooowww... That's an exciting restoration. Waiting for more to see [cheers]

Thread Starter #7
posting some more pics... removed paint entirely and applied primer to protect the shell from corrosion till tinkering work completes

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
dear TAI members please suggest me a good color for my car... hoping for expert suggestion from you guys...[:)]

Hi HKS2412, welcome aboard TAI, and a special best wishes for your project on amby. appreciate your love towards amby. keep going.

from the pictures i see, your amby looks perfect and the body lines are also perfect. those corrrosions are regular in all the ambassadors where water gets stagnated and eats away the metal, but other than that locations your vehicle body is in perfect condition. you will not have much to tinker in that body.

if you are confident about your tinker, don't worry, otherwise please monitor closely the work and use onlly dupont products from the base, like metal past, primer etc.,

Hi,
Post some images of your car before. I think the progress of work is but faster. Congratulations.
Remove the steering wheel and fit some old wheel till the work completes. Since my steering become faded and it was looking very different.

Where is this workshop located exactly in bangalore.

Last edited:
The Wooden brown in Renault duster will also suit the car. All metallic paints will give a neat and gorgeous look to this Car.
I have gone with DuPont White for my Amby.

Thread Starter #13
Hi,
Post some images of your car before. I think the progress of work is but faster. Congratulations.
Remove the steering wheel and fit some old wheel till the work completes. Since my steering become faded and it was looking very different.

Where is this workshop located exactly in bangalore.
thank you ambylovers, the steering had faded earlier itself so after completion a new one will equipped, well the garage is located 40 km outside bangalore...

Thread Starter #15
Hi HKS2412, welcome aboard TAI, and a special best wishes for your project on amby. appreciate your love towards amby. keep going.

from the pictures i see, your amby looks perfect and the body lines are also perfect. those corrrosions are regular in all the ambassadors where water gets stagnated and eats away the metal, but other than that locations your vehicle body is in perfect condition. you will not have much to tinker in that body.

if you are confident about your tinker, don't worry, otherwise please monitor closely the work and use onlly dupont products from the base, like metal past, primer etc.,
thank you ambyson for your suggestion. body lines are perfect not much corrosion on the body but water channel above the doors should be rebuild which is very delicate work in ambassador, so not many tinkers dare to touch that part as nowdays expert tinkers are very rare to find, so after a long survey i decided the tinker who is having vast experience in rebuilding ambassador cars.

Top Bottom